ALL/Descendents thread (streaming link to new LP inside!)

Re: ALL/Descendents thread

Postby The Snake » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:44 am

Also, check out this you tube channel, it has some cool ALL live shows among bunch of amazing shows of early 2000 hardcore bands.

https://www.youtube.com/user/petehiltonj
The Snake

Postby norix » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:32 am

The Snake wrote:Also, check out this you tube channel, it has some cool ALL live shows among bunch of amazing shows of early 2000 hardcore bands.

Channel does not exist, or doesn't work here in Belgium.

Have a recent Chad ALL concert that's not on Youtube (or not with this video quality): https://vimeo.com/98741701.

I'll just edit this post with another link to not bump the thread etc.

Here's video footage of Descendents in '97 at Reading https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-fRLZDnLaY

2 ALL live covers, makes me wonder how a Descendents does ALL / ALL does Descendents night would be.
Last edited by norix on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
norix

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 am

Wow, that is an excellent video! Thanks for sharing.

And here I was gonna stop checking this thread thinking it had degenerated to nothing but new merch announcements.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:46 am

scannest wrote:Wow, that is an excellent video! Thanks for sharing.

And here I was gonna stop checking this thread thinking it had degenerated to nothing but new merch announcements.

I guess I won't be ordering you a Descendents ice scraper any time soon.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:09 am

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:Wow, that is an excellent video! Thanks for sharing.

I guess I won't be ordering you a Descendents ice scraper any time soon.

Maybe a scarf for those 20 mile walks thru the streets of NYC in the winter to get to work.
lewdd

Postby The Snake » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:24 am

norix wrote:
The Snake wrote:Also, check out this you tube channel, it has some cool ALL live shows among bunch of amazing shows of early 2000 hardcore bands.

Channel does not exist, or doesn't work here in Belgium.

Have a recent Chad ALL concert that's not on Youtube (or not with this video quality): https://vimeo.com/98741701.

I'll just edit this post with another link to not bump the thread etc.

Here's video footage of Descendents in '97 at Reading https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-fRLZDnLaY

2 ALL live covers, makes me wonder how a Descendents does ALL / ALL does Descendents night would be.

Sorry, I put thew wrong link last time, this should do it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXxMF2 ... ysee9O-m-Q

Also, thanks for the links you put here.
The Snake

Postby norix » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:48 am

Holy smokes, lots of footage. Thanks!
norix

Postby matt » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:01 pm

A week from Saturday, I will be singing a song with half of the Descendents. Is that newsworthy?
matt
Site Admin

Postby lewdd » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:04 pm

matt wrote:A week from Saturday, I will be singing a song with half of the Descendents. Is that newsworthy?

Milestone?
lewdd

Postby matt » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:08 pm

lewdd wrote:
matt wrote:A week from Saturday, I will be singing a song with half of the Descendents. Is that newsworthy?

Milestone?

Nope, Groverage.

My buddy Grover fills in for Stephen doing Descendents practices with Bill and Karl. They're doing a private party thing where the three of them will play a full Descendents set with buddies doing vocals. Should be fun!
matt
Site Admin

Postby norix » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:13 pm

matt wrote:
lewdd wrote:

Milestone?

Nope, Groverage.

My buddy Grover fills in for Stephen doing Descendents practices with Bill and Karl. They're doing a private party thing where the three of them will play a full Descendents set with buddies doing vocals. Should be fun!

Lucky you. Have fun!

Seriously, I'd be really happy to just be able to go see them. Fingers crossed for Groez this or next year (or where ever, but knowing my luck they'll book one in one of the months where I'm studying 24/7 because of exams).

I missed them both last year at Groez because I wasn't as in love with them as I am now, plus my first year in Engineering was pretty fucking terrible. Biggest mistake of my life, second semester was even worse as my first one, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
norix

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:00 pm

matt wrote:
lewdd wrote:

Milestone?

Nope, Groverage.

What song are you doing?
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby The Snake » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:31 pm

norix wrote:

Holy smokes, lots of footage. Thanks!

No problem ;)
The Snake

Postby The Snake » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:32 pm

matt wrote:
lewdd wrote:

Milestone?

Nope, Groverage.

Matt, that sounds like it should be lots of fun, write a report afterwards.
The Snake

Postby matt » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:31 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:What song are you doing?

"Nothing With You"
matt
Site Admin

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:51 pm

matt wrote:

"Nothing With You"

Cool. Break a leg.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:54 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
matt wrote:

"Nothing With You"

Cool. Break a leg.

This. I would love to do "Anchor Grill" (presuming, of course, that I would be lucky enough to end up in the above situation; I have sung onstage once and that was with the DC band Battery in the mid '90s, but that's for another post, etc.) but that just might hurt me too much.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby norix » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:24 am

Found another unreleased song on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68dXGWOoRw
norix

Postby 77clash » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:44 am

How about this one from that same show with Smalley singing "She's My Ex"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDOhjCquS2Q
77clash

Postby norix » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:56 pm

77clash wrote:How about this one from that same show with Smalley singing "She's My Ex"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDOhjCquS2Q

Damn, Karl played a completely different bassline in that era.
norix

Postby The Snake » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:20 am

Norix and 77clash, great stuff, thanks guys for sharing!
The Snake

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:14 am

*whew* I ordered 2 ALLroy watches. One for me and one for my good friend Lisa.

Now I can get some sleep.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby lewdd » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:18 pm

Fuck, I was dicking around getting my playoff tix and forgot about this. Son of a bitch!
lewdd

Postby The Snake » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:30 am

The Snake

Postby lewdd » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:27 pm

My copy of Everything Sucks on purple vinyl just showed up in the mail today. I got it with some Bad Religion colored vinyl on Interpunk.
lewdd

Postby norix » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:37 pm

Continuing the 'rare ALL' subthread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMY9oMosWE8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzZ5Cw_hxck

Hadn't noticed the Everything Sux demo was on youtube....
norix

Postby lewdd » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:39 pm

Chris, any ugly sweaters this year.
lewdd

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:13 pm

I no longer wish to comment on merch. Sick of hearing people poo-pooing it.
Chris Shary

Postby lewdd » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:22 pm

you can send me PMs about merch. i just counted my all/descendents tshirts this week and had 20.
lewdd

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:40 am

Tried to send a PM didn't work.
Chris Shary

Postby norix » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:59 am

Maybe kinda silly to ask this, but is any news of the new album coming soon? I'll probably have to order for a physical release and am kinda scared I'd get fucked over by low stock or something here in Europe, so I'd like to know when to ask my parents to swing the golden card (since King's Road doesn't support the Belgian/Dutch iDEAL/Bancontact standard and I don't need any kind of credit card for daily stuff).
norix

Postby scannest » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:14 am

I would assume any new Decendents record would be easy enough to find through regular channels. I can't see it being any kind of King's Road exclusive. I'm gonna guess it will be on Fat Wreck Chords, but I don't know for sure. As far as timing, my money is on late spring.
scannest

Postby Gary » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:30 pm

I see Descendents are playing Rebellion in Blackpool next year. Any info on other dates they would be playing round europe?
Gary

Postby lewdd » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:27 am

Gary wrote:I see Descendents are playing Rebellion in Blackpool next year. Any info on other dates they would be playing round europe?

They usually only play weekend festivals and then fly back home.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:27 am

Gary wrote:I see Descendents are playing Rebellion in Blackpool next year. Any info on other dates they would be playing round europe?

Look at the FLAG European tour schedule posted recently. It's a fair assumption that they will try and play the same festival dates given that half the band will already be there.
scannest

Postby wALLton » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:08 am

scannest wrote:

Look at the FLAG European tour schedule posted recently. It's a fair assumption that they will try and play the same festival dates given that half the band will already be there.

Yes and FLAG are also playing Rebellion. Might finally have to go to this.
wALLton

Postby norix » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Does anyone know why the fuck they recorded Pummel in Eb tuning? It's kinda strange that not a single other song from Descendents/ALL that I know about wasn't written in standard. Maybe it's something the record label forced upon em? Altough that sounds kinda silly aswell.
norix

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:33 pm

scannest wrote:I would assume any new Decendents record would be easy enough to find through regular channels. I can't see it being any kind of King's Road exclusive. I'm gonna guess it will be on Fat Wreck Chords, but I don't know for sure. As far as timing, my money is on late spring.

my wild guess is that they might go back to Epitaph since King's Road and Epitaph have a tie in. I'm not ruling out being wrong (which I always am. LOL)
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby lewdd » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:48 pm

WrEtcH wrote:
scannest wrote:I would assume any new Decendents record would be easy enough to find through regular channels. I can't see it being any kind of King's Road exclusive. I'm gonna guess it will be on Fat Wreck Chords, but I don't know for sure. As far as timing, my money is on late spring.

my wild guess is that they might go back to Epitaph since King's Road and Epitaph have a tie in. I'm not ruling out being wrong (which I always am. LOL)

I don't know why they don't release it on O&O.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:37 am

Whatever label it's on, I just want it in my hands...NOW! (that's what she said?)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby norix » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:09 pm

lewdd wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:

I don't know why they don't release it on O&O.

http://www.allcentral.com/ono/

Hyperlink t O&O site links to the Dents tumblr. Looks deadish. So I figured checking out when the site was actually in use, by using the wayback machine. It 404ed somewhere in 2004. I don't know how hard it is to start a record label back up or if they could finance it themselves and just use Fat/Epitaph for distribution or whatever.
norix

Postby jaybird » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:51 pm

norix wrote:Does anyone know why the fuck they recorded Pummel in Eb tuning? It's kinda strange that not a single other song from Descendents/ALL that I know about wasn't written in standard. Maybe it's something the record label forced upon em? Altough that sounds kinda silly aswell.

I think they were just going for a heavier sound, that might mesh better with Chad's more aggressive/growly singing style. Also, the whole nü-metal drop-tuning fad was just getting underway at the time, so maybe they just kinda got caught up in it as a recording "fad", in the same way that some of their late-80s records have that reverb-y sound that was typical of a lot of records from that era.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:54 pm

jaybird wrote:
norix wrote:Does anyone know why the fuck they recorded Pummel in Eb tuning? It's kinda strange that not a single other song from Descendents/ALL that I know about wasn't written in standard. Maybe it's something the record label forced upon em? Altough that sounds kinda silly aswell.

I think they were just going for a heavier sound, that might mesh better with Chad's more aggressive/growly singing style. Also, the whole nü-metal drop-tuning fad was just getting underway at the time, so maybe they just kinda got caught up in it as a recording "fad", in the same way that some of their late-80s records have that reverb-y sound that was typical of a lot of records from that era.

I think that this is correct. The drop D tunings were very common in grunge (or so a musician friend told me once a long time ago) even before the nu-metal thing and it was 1995, so you do the math.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby norix » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:13 pm

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:

I think that this is correct. The drop D tunings were very common in grunge (or so a musician friend told me once a long time ago) even before the nu-metal thing and it was 1995, so you do the math.

Replying to both: I knew it sounded heavier and made bending easier etc. but I taught it could cause problems with songs originally played in E tuning and the vocalist not catching up, or something like that. I'm curious if they played/play live in Eb for some time: a lot of bands do this when the vocalist can't keep up anymore (my music teacher once told me that in the Jazz big band he played in they played some song in lower/higher settings depending on how the vocalist felt, so in contradiction with what I said earlier).

EDIT: at the Conan O Brien show in 95 they played Million Bucks down tuned but don't in a recording made last year. And Self-Righteous is in E on Live plus One. Gimme some time to check that Australia bootleg.

DOUBLE EDIT: and on the bootleg (which is the live recording nearest to Pummel I know of) they play the complete show in standard (Minute was in original key and Stalker was played in Standard as well).

THIRD ONE: I'm tabbing out the Birds bass part in Guitar Pro apparently, one of the parts has like 15/16 time sig or a tempo shift of fuck knows how much down ward. First part of the song fit decently at 205 BPM without using too much strange stuff, untill the 50 second mark. The 'DUM TING' fits perfectly and the 'DAUWWW' doesn't. I think, whilst achieving ALL is cool, I'm going to let that 16 note or whatever be.
norix

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:02 pm

I just listen to the records.
FormerLurker

Postby Marc M » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:39 pm

jaybird wrote: in the same way that some of their late-80s records have that reverb-y sound that was typical of a lot of records from that era.

I blame Brian Baker for this. He had a Roland Jazz chorus mixed with his Marshall in Dag Nasty and we all copied him...
Marc M

Postby jaybird » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:55 am

FormerLurker wrote:I just listen to the records.

jaybird

Postby The Snake » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:27 pm

Finally!!!

Goodbye Harry both albums!

I personally love more the first album, but you be the judge.

Food Stamp Bbq: http://www.mediafire.com/download/u3nmv ... mp+Bbq.rar

I Can Smoke: http://www.mediafire.com/download/n9mxt ... +Smoke.rar
The Snake

Postby SamDBL » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:20 pm

jaybird wrote:

:D Shit like this makes me consider unbanning myself.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:46 pm

SamDBL wrote:
jaybird wrote:

:D Shit like this makes me consider unbanning myself.

It'd be amazing if you started posting again. 'Wong and Mike B. would have spontaneous orgasms.
jaybird

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse