ALL/Descendents thread (streaming link to new LP inside!)

Re: ALL/Descendents thread

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:19 pm

jaybird wrote:I've seen Descendents/ALL probably close to 30 times over the years... Their best album isI Don't Want to Grow Up. "Get the Time" is a great song. Karl wears Vans™.

This post is definitive.

Now it is. :lol:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:19 pm

Also, flip!
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:02 pm

I need a lot of new clothes since I'm in the process of weight loss, so I ordered an ALL hoodie from Kingsroadmerch that should be here tomorrow. Stoked. I figured it was relevant to this thread.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:04 pm

gregpolard wrote:I need a lot of new clothes since I'm in the process of weight loss, so I ordered an ALL hoodie from Kingsroadmerch that should be here tomorrow. Stoked. I figured it was relevant to this thread.

I got that one and 3 dents hoodies (sux, & the 2 logos w/ milo on the back) I hate that merch site. I almost want to order EVERYTHING on that site. :lol:
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:07 pm

WrEtcH wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I need a lot of new clothes since I'm in the process of weight loss, so I ordered an ALL hoodie from Kingsroadmerch that should be here tomorrow. Stoked. I figured it was relevant to this thread.

I got that one and 3 dents hoodies (sux, & the 2 logos w/ milo on the back) I hate that merch site. I almost want to order EVERYTHING on that site. :lol:

It's my second order in a few weeks. I'm good now though! Last order I got 3 coffee mugs to replace my "bonus cup" that shattered. I was bummed they were out of stock of the one I broke, so I ordered 3 to replace it (All-O-Gistics, Milo goes To College and I Don't Want To Grow Up). I also got that awesome "pencil" design shirt in blue and a shirt for my son. Oh, and for some reason they had the crew neck for IDWTGA on clearance for like 12 bucks but only in XL but I figured it's a sweatshirt so it's allowed to be big.

This order was just the ALL hoodie and, much to my delight, the Bonus Cup "Thou Shalt Not Partake Of Decaf" as it was restocked! I honestly love almost all of the t-shirts on the site. It's probably not my last time ordering. Chris's design work is top notch.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:09 pm

it's crazy when those Christmas sweatshirts came out. You'd see 'em in the merch shop, then it would be gone in a couple weeks.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:11 pm

WrEtcH wrote:it's crazy when those Christmas sweatshirts came out. You'd see 'em in the merch shop, then it would be gone in a couple weeks.

If they do 'em again I may try and snatch one if I have the money. How much are they usually? I saw they put the crewneck I got back up in stock in all sizes and it's $24.99 so I was assuming it's that much.
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:13 pm

gregpolard wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:it's crazy when those Christmas sweatshirts came out. You'd see 'em in the merch shop, then it would be gone in a couple weeks.

If they do 'em again I may try and snatch one if I have the money. How much are they usually? I saw they put the crewneck I got back up in stock in all sizes and it's $24.99 so I was assuming it's that much.

I think it was. they do have the coffee mug version of it.

I'm surprised they don't have the other watch with the coffee pot Milo. I want to order that one instead of the basic Milo head.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby Chris Shary » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Wretch I think Vannen has some of the coffee pot watches. Just write them. Thanks for the compliments, I do the best that I can to make things I'd be stoked on, and it's great other people like the stuff as well.
Chris Shary

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:06 pm

Chris Shary wrote:Wretch I think Vannen has some of the coffee pot watches. Just write them. Thanks for the compliments, I do the best that I can to make things I'd be stoked on, and it's great other people like the stuff as well.

thanks Chris, going on google now. are you doing any stuff for the latest ALL gig coming up? I know the DENTS are in demand these days, but it would be cool to see some new ALL merch for a change.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:10 pm

holy crap! I never knew this existed and it's sold out :shock:
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby Chris Shary » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:40 pm

Yeah I have some new ALL designs that we are waiting on doing The Fest seems like the right time to unveil them.
Chris Shary

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Chris Shary wrote:Yeah I have some new ALL designs that we are waiting on doing The Fest seems like the right time to unveil them.

Can't wait to see. Seriously though, keep up the good work. I have never wanted more shirts by a single band than I do with Dents/ALL and it's due to the awesome designs.
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:37 pm

watch ordered. the sell out of the CTBY watch was enough to scare me into ordering the coffee pot watch
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:41 pm

WrEtcH wrote:watch ordered. the sell out of the CTBY watch was enough to scare me into ordering the coffee pot watch

I'm hoping to get one of the watches (I'd settle for any design) for Xmas or something!
gregpolard

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:53 pm

gregpolard wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:watch ordered. the sell out of the CTBY watch was enough to scare me into ordering the coffee pot watch

I'm hoping to get one of the watches (I'd settle for any design) for Xmas or something!

You are the king of conspicuous hints.
FormerLurker

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:10 pm

FormerLurker wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Should I PM you my address?
gregpolard

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:02 pm

gregpolard wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

LOL
FormerLurker

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:48 am

FormerLurker wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

LOL

Hey, I try. haha
gregpolard

Postby MXV » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:32 am

jaybird wrote:I've seen Descendents/ALL probably close to 30 times over the years... Their best album is ALL. "Get the Time" is a great song. Karl wears Vans™.

This post is definitive.

That song rules but ALL is nowhere near their best album. The only answer to the best album question is Milo Goes to College. That's just a scientific fact.

I personally used to think ALL was their worst album even though it had some really great songs on it (about 3 or 4 total, the rest I didn't like). That however was replaced by Cool to Be You which was hands down the only bad record they ever did. And it's not that it really sucked, it was just incredibly boring and to me sounded more like a Bad Religion album than a Descendents album.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:53 am

Apart from the song 'Merican I don't hear the Bad Religion comparison at all, really.

I think CTBY is super underrated. Some of their best songs on there, honestly.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:30 pm

gregpolard wrote:Apart from the song 'Merican I don't hear the Bad Religion comparison at all, really.

I think CTBY is super underrated. Some of their best songs on there, honestly.

All that and even 'Merican doesn't sound that much like BR. It's unusual for them to have a political lyric like that, but Karl had certainly written a few before.

Anyhow, listen to "Anchor Grill." It is, at least at the moment, my favorite Descendents song.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:57 pm

IDWGU is undisputably their worst record - recorded badly, it sounds like shit, and half the songs are stupid bullshit that they don't even play anymore. ALL is superior in every way possible - musicianship, recording/sound quality, and the overall variety and quality of songwriting. They still bust out "Iceman". Not so much with "In Love This Way".

Furthermore, I'm going to help you all appreciate the band a little bit better with my definitive ranking of their albums:

1. ALL
2. REVENGE
3. PREZ
4. BREAKING THINGS
5. ENJOY
6. MGTC
7. PERCOLATER
8. SEZ
9. SAVES
10. MASS NERDER
11. PROBLEMATIC
12. CTBY
13. PUMMEL
14. IDWGU

I've ignored Bonus Fat/Ride The Wild in this ranking, like I have for the last 25 years.

Chisel it in stone.

jaybird

Postby jaybird » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Also, TonyALL was an embarrassment.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:21 pm

jaybird wrote:IDWGU is undisputably their worst record - recorded badly, it sounds like shit, and half the songs are stupid bullshit that they don't even play anymore. ALL is superior in every way possible - musicianship, recording/sound quality, and the overall variety and quality of songwriting. They still bust out "Iceman". Not so much with "In Love This Way".

I couldn't disagree with you more here. Side 2 of IDWTGU is perfect, though my favorite songs on there are "My World" and "Can't Go Back." I've always loved their power-pop side. And they don't play "In Love This Way" not because it's a bad song, but because they hate it for whatever reason (probably too personal or something).
Last edited by JGJR on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:30 pm

jaybird wrote:Furthermore, I'm going to help you all appreciate the band a little bit better with my definitive ranking of their albums:

1. ALL
2. REVENGE
3. PREZ
4. BREAKING THINGS
5. ENJOY
6. MGTC
7. PERCOLATER
8. SEZ
9. SAVES
10. MASS NERDER
11. PROBLEMATIC
12. CTBY
13. PUMMEL
14. IDWGU

I've ignored Bonus Fat/Ride The Wild in this ranking, like I have for the last 25 years.
Chisel it in stone.

Incorrect. The proper ranking is:

1) MGTC
2) Revenge
3) Enjoy
4) IDWTGU
5) Everything Sucks
6) All
7) CTBY
8) Saves
9) Prez
10) Percolater
11) Sez
12) Tonyall

All broke up when Scott left in 1992.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:34 pm

MXV wrote:That song rules but ALL is nowhere near their best album. The only answer to the best album question is Milo Goes to College. That's just a scientific fact.

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
Incorrect. The proper ranking is:

1) MGTC.

I think this place is my new home. :lol:
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby jaybird » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:45 pm

I forgot to rank Everything Sucks.

jaybird

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:01 pm

I think "Saves" is underrated and should be higher than "CTBY"
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:06 pm

WrEtcH wrote:I think "Saves" is underrated and should be higher than "CTBY"

I could do that. I like Saves a lot but the production is a little hinky.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:46 am

Imma think about this and get back to you.

Also, my ALL hoodie came yesterday....fits like a glove. Losing weight has its perks cause I can justify new clothes and junk.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:19 pm

OK, so...I'll rank the Descendents and ALL albums separately, and for all I know a lot of the lower ranked ones could change. I can't rank Dents against ALL....too difficult to compare. In general, both bands are tough to rank because some of their least good albums can have some of their best songs. I tried to rank based on how solid the album is front to back. I didn't include any live albums or compilations, either.

Descendents:

1. Milo Goes To College
2. Everything Sucks
3. ALL
4. I Don't Want To Grow Up
5. Cool To Be You
6. Enjoy!

Sometimes I honestly think Everything Sucks is my favorite. I guess it's a time and a place thing maybe, but to me it's definitely as solid as MGTC, plus I love the recording.

ALL:

1. Allroy's Revenge
2. Allroy Saves
3. Breaking Things
4. Allroy For Prez
5. Mass Nerder
6. Percolater
7. Pummel
8. Problematic
9. Allroy Sez

ALL are tougher to rank for me because some of these albums I haven't heard until maybe the past 3-4 years. Before diving into Allroy's Revenge and back into the other Scott stuff, I foolishly thought Pummel was their best. Now it's one of my least favorites, even though it has some of their best songs.
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:35 pm

DENTS
1. "Milo Goes To College"
2."Enjoy"
3."I Don't Want To Grow Up"
4."Everything Sux"
5."ALL"
6."Bonus Fat"
7."Cool To Be You"

ALL
1."Allroy's Revenge"
2."Pummel"
3."Allroy For Prez"
4."Mass Nerder"
5."Percolater"
6."Allroy Saves"
7."Breaking Things"
8."Problematic"
9."Allroy Sez"
10. "TonyALL"
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:01 pm

I'm listening to Cool To Be You now. It's better than I remember.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:08 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I'm listening to Cool To Be You now. It's better than I remember.

Yes!
gregpolard

Postby Knutsen » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:10 am

Isn't ALL basically the DESCENDENTS with a different singer? I always thought so.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:56 am

Knutsen wrote:Isn't ALL basically the DESCENDENTS with a different singer? I always thought so.

you can say that and you can also say for 7 years there was no DESCENDENTS, only ALL.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:27 am

I think both bands are different enough that they exist on their own, to me. They're also similar enough where if people want to group them all as one, it makes sense.
gregpolard

Postby wALLton » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:59 am

Knutsen wrote:Isn't ALL basically the DESCENDENTS with a different singer? I always thought so.

Only if you decide to ignore the contributions of the earlier members, which would be silly considering they wrote/played on their best release(s)! ;)
wALLton

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:10 pm

gregpolard wrote:I think both bands are different enough that they exist on their own, to me. They're also similar enough where if people want to group them all as one, it makes sense.

here's another way of putting it. when I see ALL now and since the DENTS are active too, I'd like to see LESS (which has happened last FoCo gig) DENTS songs on an ALL set list. Not that I don't appreciate Scott or Chad's versions of DENTS songs, it's just that ALL has so many good songs, I'd like to hear/see more ALL songs performed live.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:49 pm

WrEtcH wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I think both bands are different enough that they exist on their own, to me. They're also similar enough where if people want to group them all as one, it makes sense.

here's another way of putting it. when I see ALL now and since the DENTS are active too, I'd like to see LESS (which has happened last FoCo gig) DENTS songs on an ALL set list. Not that I don't appreciate Scott or Chad's versions of DENTS songs, it's just that ALL has so many good songs, I'd like to hear/see more ALL songs performed live.

Couldn't agree more. I wouldn't really want to hear any Descendents songs in an ALL set at this point. I still need to see ALL. Was going to back in 2010 or so when they were going to play the Church in Philly but it got cancelled.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:36 pm

WrEtcH wrote:

you can say that and you can also say for 7 years there was no DESCENDENTS, only ALL.

True except for one night in the fall of 1993 and I was there for it!
JGJR

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:22 pm

Why is this thread so long? Jesus christ.
FormerLurker

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:45 pm

It's all your fault!
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:00 am

the ALL/DENTS thread is the new "Field Day."
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:15 am

WrEtcH wrote:the ALL/DENTS thread is the new "Field Day."

I'm ok with that. Today at work I'm wearing my new ALL hoodie and a Descendents shirt underneath. I'm so cool, right?
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:56 pm

that was fast. I guess the advantages of mailing from LA to SF.

I almost want to keep it as is and not even take the plastic off the box :lol:

^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:07 pm

haha yeah...I feel like if/when I get one of those watches I will have the same internal debate.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:19 pm

Today in the car my wife told me that Descendents/ALL are my favorite band. "For 8 years, you've always been listening to them, having the t shirts, the coffee cups, talking about them, etc. So it's final, they're your favorite".

When someone else tells you who your favorite band is, you listen.
gregpolard

Postby Knutsen » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:19 am

When somebody else has to tell you what your favourite band is, then...I don't know.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse