ALL/Descendents thread (streaming link to new LP inside!)

Re: ALL/Descendents thread

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:20 pm

:lol:
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:16 am

Does that board still exist? I couldn't find a link anywhere.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:18 am

gregpolard wrote:Does that board still exist? I couldn't find a link anywhere.

They're a secret society.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:09 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Does that board still exist? I couldn't find a link anywhere.

They're a secret society.

It seems that way!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:27 pm

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... up_bl.html

Bill Stevenson says that there is a new Descendents album on the horizon plus tribute album, etc.!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:32 am

JGJR wrote:http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/08/punk_roundup_bl.html

Bill Stevenson says that there is a new Descendents album on the horizon plus tribute album, etc.!

That tribute album has been out a couple months. It was the Filter magazine thing for Milo's 50th b day.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:34 am

Bill said that Milo approached him with a bunch of new songs he wanted to work up.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:41 am

Also, after some steady listening to the ALL catalog over the last 2-3 months, I can safely say I like them as much as Descendents (removes foot from mouth).
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:04 am

gregpolard wrote:Also, after some steady listening to the ALL catalog over the last 2-3 months, I can safely say I like them as much as Descendents (removes foot from mouth).

I am not shocked by this given that it is a relatively common sentiment on this board and I have known others over the years who have felt that way, but other than Allroy's Revenge, it ain't even close.

It's kind of like saying Morrissey's solo stuff is as good as The Smiths. Wait a second... :lol:
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:14 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Also, after some steady listening to the ALL catalog over the last 2-3 months, I can safely say I like them as much as Descendents (removes foot from mouth).

I am not shocked by this given that it is a relatively common sentiment on this board and I have known others over the years who have felt that way, but other than Allroy's Revenge, it ain't even close.

It's kind of like saying Morrissey's solo stuff is as good as The Smiths. Wait a second... :lol:

hah! I dunno man. Like I said in threads on the old board, I got into ALL in 8th grade when I got into Descendents but mainly the Smalley stuff and Pummel, though I had a dubbed copy of Allroy Saves and Percolater on CD. I didn't hear Allroy's Revenge until maybe 2-3 years ago somehow and not only is it clearly my favorite one at this point but Scott is definitely my favorite of the vocalists.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:43 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

hah! I dunno man. Like I said in threads on the old board, I got into ALL in 8th grade when I got into Descendents but mainly the Smalley stuff and Pummel, though I had a dubbed copy of Allroy Saves and Percolater on CD. I didn't hear Allroy's Revenge until maybe 2-3 years ago somehow and not only is it clearly my favorite one at this point but Scott is definitely my favorite of the vocalists.

I had a dubbed copy of Allroy's Revenge (and one of Allroy Sez as well as the "Dot" EP) in high school and Allroy Saves on tape. I liked all of them to varying degrees, but just always liked Descendents more (way more). At the time, I viewed them more as two separate bands, though clearly that's not really the case at least since 1987. I guess Milo is the difference?
JGJR

Postby MXV » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:50 pm

I've seen All a few times and I've seen a version of them at least once with each singer (Dave being my favorite) but I don't like them nearly as much as Descendents and I rarely have ever played the records I have of theirs (I don't have ALL of them, only a few). I've enjoyed them each time I saw them live but they just don't do it for me compared to the greatness that is the Descendents (sans that last studio album, Cool to be You, which I really didn't like and found boring).

The prospect of a new Descendents album in my younger years would have had me super excited up to and including after the release of Everything Sucks (greatest reunion album of all time) but Cool To Be You really soured me on caring about anything new they may do. They still kick so much ass live but I don't think it is a coincidence they play almost nothing from that album (at least they didn't the two times I've seen them in recent times).

I'm still enough of a Descendents mark though that should they put out a new album and release it on vinyl I'll end up buying it and hoping for the best, if only for the sake of still having a complete collection.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby version sound » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:31 pm

My project for next week is to see if any Descendents records besides Milo Goes to College are worthy of my attention. I figure I Don't Want to Grow Up is probably my best bet. I guess we'll see...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:40 am

version sound wrote:My project for next week is to see if any Descendents records besides Milo Goes to College are worthy of my attention. I figure I Don't Want to Grow Up is probably my best bet. I guess we'll see...

They all are! But going in chronological order is probably your best bet.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:17 am

That's the game plan. They get the chance to wow me through Enjoy!. If it hasn't happened by then, I give up and retreat back to MGTC.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:51 am

version sound wrote:That's the game plan. They get the chance to wow me through Enjoy!. If it hasn't happened by then, I give up and retreat back to MGTC.

For a long time, "ALL" was my favorite Descendents album when I first got into them. Then "Everything Sucks" came out and that became a favorite. At this point for me now it's a toss up between "Milo Goes To College" and "Everything Sucks"
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:08 pm

gregpolard

Postby FlexMyHead » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:58 pm

Found some photos that I took from the fall '89 ALL show in Frankfurt, Germany, thought I'd post them!

Stephen looking very Christopher Llyod, if I don't say so myself.

Scott vocalizin' & Karl bass pickin'

And my favorite, Scott belting one out (No Traffic, I think) as if his life depended on it. About halfway through the song he just dropped and was basically in the fetal position and it was just amazing (to a fairly young punker as myself) to see a pop-melodic-punk vocalist pour so much of himself into that song. It was like Rollins but without the cheese.

FlexMyHead

Postby gregpolard » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:35 pm

Great pics! Thanks for posting!
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:47 pm

version sound wrote:That's the game plan. They get the chance to wow me through Enjoy!. If it hasn't happened by then, I give up and retreat back to MGTC.

enjoy is ok. i think i like ALL the most after their original line up disbanded. there are demos from 85-86 out there called bonus cups, i like that more than enjoy. i think ALL had a couple good songs of the lps i have heard but they are way too hit and miss for me.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:42 pm

gregpolard wrote:Great pics! Thanks for posting!

I concur! It's so odd seeing Stephen with hair, too. I can't remember when he started shaving his head/went bald (whatever the case may be) even after all the times I saw them in the '90s.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:00 am

Posted this on Facebook but will share here as well:

My 7 year old son, Jude last night when he and I were in the car together:

"Sometimes I can't tell the difference between ALL and Descendents"
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:33 am

matt has posted some awesome pics from the Colorado weekend w/ ALL, the DENTS & Filmage on FB.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:40 am

WrEtcH wrote:matt has posted some awesome pics from the Colorado weekend w/ ALL, the DENTS & Filmage on FB.

I will have to check that out! Thanks for the heads up. I heard it was incredible.

I also found the "other" board. I'm very surprised at the amount of people who aren't into Scott ALL.
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:59 am

gregpolard wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:matt has posted some awesome pics from the Colorado weekend w/ ALL, the DENTS & Filmage on FB.

I will have to check that out! Thanks for the heads up. I heard it was incredible.

I also found the "other" board. I'm very surprised at the amount of people who aren't into Scott ALL.

it's sorta like if you went to that board, more people are "Wig Out" people there, For a long time, I was a Chad guy, but after seeing ALL in Southern California (pedro, sean tm were at the San Diego gig) it reminded me that Scott sang on my fave ALL albums & songs. Since then, I've reverted back to being a Scott guy.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:00 am

WrEtcH wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

it's sorta like if you went to that board, more people are "Wig Out" people there, For a long time, I was a Chad guy, but after seeing ALL in Southern California (pedro, sean tm were at the San Diego gig) it reminded me that Scott sang on my fave ALL albums & songs. Since then, I've reverted back to being a Scott guy.

As I said on there (I'm "walterwhite" btw....not sure why I used a different name on there, I guess to confuse people and myself) I've gone through phases where I've been a Dave guy, a Chad guy...but now I'm a Scott guy.
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:03 am

gregpolard wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

As I said on there (I'm "walterwhite" btw....not sure why I used a different name on there, I guess to confuse people and myself) I've gone through phases where I've been a Dave guy, a Chad guy...but now I'm a Scott guy.

:lol: it's an usual board (as you'll find out.) not much ALL discussion these days (or anything music wise) pretty much all music topics have been run into the ground. basically it's a lot of bait threads on dorian.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:07 am

Yeah, I was kinda hoping for more ALL discussion but I guess I'm 15 years too late or whatever. haha
gregpolard

Postby Chris Shary » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:09 am

Crap, FIlMAGE Saturday and Red Rocks yesterday.....dude I'm tired. What a great weekend. Took a ton of pictures too. Nice meeting some of you dudes as well!
Chris Shary

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Still holding out for a Philly screening, somehow.
gregpolard

Postby matt » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:10 pm

Chris Shary wrote:Crap, FIlMAGE Saturday and Red Rocks yesterday.....dude I'm tired. What a great weekend. Took a ton of pictures too. Nice meeting some of you dudes as well!

It was amazing. The movie, the bands, all the buddies. Totally reaffirmed why this group of people has played such a pivotal part in my life.

And I'm SO happy I got to meet you, Chris. You are absolutely as awesome as I thought you might be. Hope we get to hang again next time you're out this way.
matt
Site Admin

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:15 pm

gregpolard wrote:(I'm "walterwhite" btw....not sure why I used a different name on there, I guess to confuse people and myself)

It's because you're the head of an international meth smuggling ring, of course. Duh. :lol:
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:37 pm

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:(I'm "walterwhite" btw....not sure why I used a different name on there, I guess to confuse people and myself)

It's because you're the head of an international meth smuggling ring, of course. Duh. :lol:

Bonus cups laced with meth.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:54 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Bonus cups laced with meth.

If you're gonna break the edge, that would be a good way to do it. As for me, I just had an iced mocha earlier this afternoon. I know it's much more boring, but... :lol:
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:32 pm

Cool write up on the film here:

http://celebratedsummerecords.blogspot.com

Also has a pic of the ALL setlist
gregpolard

Postby matt » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:02 pm

gregpolard wrote:Cool write up on the film here:

Hahahahaha! I took a pic of that dude's Milo and Allroy tattoos and posted them to my FB album. He got tossed out for stagediving during ALL and missed the Descendents set. Suckage. :shock:
matt
Site Admin

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

matt wrote:

Hahahahaha! I took a pic of that dude's Milo and Allroy tattoos and posted them to my FB album. He got tossed out for stagediving during ALL and missed the Descendents set. Suckage. :shock:

That reminded me, I'm gonna look at your pics now (couldn't at work)
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:27 pm

Matt, sorry for dropping about 50 "likes" on your pictures, but they're great!
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:37 pm

yourenotevil wrote:

enjoy is ok. i think i like ALL the most after their original line up disbanded. there are demos from 85-86 out there called bonus cups, i like that more than enjoy. i think ALL had a couple good songs of the lps i have heard but they are way too hit and miss for me.

Anyone have MP3s of that boot handy? The few links I found for it were dead.

PS: I enjoyed IDWTGU and Enjoy! a lot today. I think I really would have loved that stuff if I had heard it when it was new.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:39 pm

matt wrote:

I met that guy a few years ago when his store (also called Celebrated Summer) was still in Towson, MD. It's now in Baltimore, but I haven't been to the new location. Anyway, he told me what a massive ALL fan he is. His band Deep Sleep were supposed to play here with ALL a few weeks after that, but the show was canceled.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:41 pm

version sound wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

Anyone have MP3s of that boot handy? The few links I found for it were dead.

PS: I enjoyed IDWTGU and Enjoy! a lot today. I think I really would have loved that stuff if I had heard it when it was new.

That's awesome. How great is side 2 of IDWTGU???
gregpolard

Postby matt » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:53 pm

gregpolard wrote:Matt, sorry for dropping about 50 "likes" on your pictures, but they're great!

Glad you dig them!
matt
Site Admin

Postby version sound » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:48 am

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:Anyone have MP3s of that boot handy? The few links I found for it were dead.

I need to listen more to really get a feeling for what's what. It was really the first time I started to understand why there's such a big crossover between Dag and Descendents fans. IDWTGU reminded me of Wig Out and Enjoy! reminded me of Field Day (but in a good way). I still prefer the more straight punk songs, but the poppier ones are good too.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:37 am

If there's any old-school OG ALLboard people here, the dude in question is tonycty4.
FormerLurker

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:04 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:Anyone have MP3s of that boot handy? The few links I found for it were dead.

I need to listen more to really get a feeling for what's what. It was really the first time I started to understand why there's such a big crossover between Dag and Descendents fans. IDWTGU reminded me of Wig Out and Enjoy! reminded me of Field Day (but in a good way). I still prefer the more straight punk songs, but the poppier ones are good too.

I can totally see those comparisons. Never thought about it, but you're right.
gregpolard

Postby Knutsen » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:31 am

JGJR wrote:
matt wrote:

I met that guy a few years ago when his store (also called Celebrated Summer) was still in Towson, MD. It's now in Baltimore, but I haven't been to the new location. Anyway, he told me what a massive ALL fan he is. His band Deep Sleep were supposed to play here with ALL a few weeks after that, but the show was canceled.

Stephen Egerton mastered a Deep Sleep album that I own.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:14 am

JGJR wrote:
matt wrote:

Deep Sleep are good!
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:33 pm

I thought this was pretty interesting. It's Rise Against talking about the role Bill Stevenson has had in their band.

http://www.riseagainst.com/news/default ... =nid_40345
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:23 am

I've seen Descendents/ALL probably close to 30 times over the years... Their best album is ALL. "Get the Time" is a great song. Karl wears Vans™.

This post is definitive.
jaybird

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:49 pm

jaybird wrote:. "Get the Time" is a great song.
This post is definitive.

wow! +1. I just remember on the board when everybody was dumping on that song. it's a personal fave for me because it actually said what I wanted to say when I was crushing on this girl in college
^v^
WrEtcH

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse