IDT - Odd Snakes

IDT - Odd Snakes

Postby JGJR » Thu May 27, 2021 3:27 pm

They are a Brooklyn-based band formed by my friend Daniel Colby (first drummer for The Explosion when they were still on Jade Tree) and his wife, who is the chief songwriter and vocalist here. The music isn't punk rock, but maybe slightly punk-influenced shoegaze/dream-pop/indie without a lot of the usual revivalist trappings of any of those 4. They remind me quite a bit of a great but very overlooked early 2010s band from England called The Standard Fare, but even that comparison doesn't really do them justice. I really like this.

https://oddsnakes.bandcamp.com/album/hiss-and-buzz
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Re: IDT - Odd Snakes

Postby lewdd » Thu May 27, 2021 4:19 pm

I was hoping for The Explosion. I saw them open for Social Distortion in Chicago one time and I think another time for someone else. I liked their energy.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Thu May 27, 2021 5:51 pm

lewdd wrote:I was hoping for The Explosion. I saw them open for Social Distortion in Chicago one time and I think another time for someone else. I liked their energy.

Good group for sure; I figured they'd be 100% up your alley. I only saw them once and that was late in their career when they were on a major opening for The New York Dolls in 2005. I dug them.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri May 28, 2021 10:17 am

This is really good. I don’t know that I would call it shoegaze. Definitely indie rock with post-punk and even death rock/goth vibes. Is it only available from the band? I’m all about supporting them, but $25 plus shipping for vinyl is a bit steep. Maybe I’ll buy the CD...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri May 28, 2021 12:38 pm

version sound wrote:This is really good. I don’t know that I would call it shoegaze. Definitely indie rock with post-punk and even death rock/goth vibes. Is it only available from the band? I’m all about supporting them, but $25 plus shipping for vinyl is a bit steep. Maybe I’ll buy the CD...

Short answer: yes to the best of my knowledge but I will ask Daniel. The CD sounds good to these ears and I agree that $25 is a lot, but yeah I really dig it, too, so I might grab it eventually.
JGJR

Return to daghouse