CAN - The Thread

CAN - The Thread

Postby JGJR » Thu May 27, 2021 1:14 pm

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:
As for CAN, they should be a separate thread. Lots and lots of great records even way past the Damo era. Some of the mid to late '70s stuff is super underrated IMO.

Agreed on the separate thread for more "rock" based bands of this type, or maybe just a Can-specific thread since they were so different from Amon Duul or whatever. I will admit I never paid much attention to the post-Damo era. I though Soon Over Babaluma was pretty good, but never went further than that. I've heard some hardcore fans say every album is essential, though I can't imagine I would love everything they did.

Soon Over Babaluma is great, the closest they ever got to Yes, but in a good way. It took me a little while to get used to Michael Karoli and Holger Czukay's vocals. Neither are Malcolm Mooney or Damo, but they are serviceable. Landed is their attempt at glam-rock ala Sparks, Roxy Music, or something in that vein. I haven't spent as much time with that one or the 2 after that, but I think they hit it out of the park.

The last one I'm familiar with is the '79 s/t album. I'm not really sure how to describe it. They'd settled into their own sound as a trio by that point and I think that was their last with Holger, too. It has nowhere near as much power as the earlier stuff and is more subtle and mellower, but it's a very nice listen. I've never heard the '86 album; I think that one is the big bugaboo in their catalog preventing more fans from saying that the catalog is perfect or whatever if you don't count the remix album. Oh and I think both volumes of Cannibalism are essential because there are lots of one-offs, single edits, etc. and they're pretty good introductions, too. I had the Lost Tapes box at one point, too; all great, but it's so much that it's kinda overwhelming.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Re: CAN - The Thread

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu May 27, 2021 1:29 pm

So I guess everyone has seen Tom Lyles record blog on Instagram.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Thu May 27, 2021 1:49 pm

I really love the DELAY 1968 comp. I don't typically go for stuff that raw, but in the right mood I get completely lost in it.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu May 27, 2021 2:32 pm

scannest wrote:I really love the DELAY 1968 comp. I don't typically go for stuff that raw, but in the right mood I get completely lost in it.

That's not a comp, but their 1st proper album that for whatever reason was shelved until 1981. Monster Movie became their debut Lp instead. Anyway, it rules, as does the rest of the Malcolm era. I think it's overlooked sometimes, especially in relation to what they'd do in the early '70s.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu May 27, 2021 2:56 pm

Everything through Future Days is pure gold. The stuff after that is fine, but I rarely reach for it if I’m in the mood for CAN. That reminds me that I still need to get Future Days on vinyl. Anyone have any opinions on recent pressings? I have early Spoon pressings of the others (except Tago Mago, lucked out with an OG UK of that one with the gimmix cover).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Return to daghouse