Spotify content : Spring 2021 Hellminded Records playlist

Spotify content : Spring 2021 Hellminded Records playlist

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 26, 2021 1:10 pm

Since my old band One Up are releasing our complete discography called "Many Miles Long" on Hellminded Records this summer, they asked me to curate a playlist. I included a few bands from the roster as well as some old favorites. This is meant to be played in order as I tried to be somewhat conscious of the flow. Have a listen!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4qplh ... HDyBc1zniA
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Spotify content : Spring 2021 Hellminded Records playlis

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 26, 2021 1:17 pm

Tracklisting for those who don't have access to Spotify and/or don't feel like clicking the link:

1) Honey "Dancing With Death"
2) Void "Time To Die"
3) Sonic Youth "Disappearer"
4) Redd Kross "Linda Blair"
5) No Escape "Lies On Your Sleeve"
6) The Melvins "Queen"
7) Quicksand "Divorce"
8) Teenage Fanclub "Everything Flows"
9) Shades Apart "So What Now"
10) R.E.M. "These Days"
11) Sloan "Worried Now"
12) Dinosaur Jr "Raisans"
13) Dag Nasty "Exercises"
14) School Drugs "Burn"
15) Nirvana 'Aneurysm"
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed May 26, 2021 2:07 pm

If you played drums I'd insist we start a band.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 26, 2021 2:34 pm

scannest wrote:If you played drums I'd insist we start a band.

I feel honored

Sidenote: I read your message while listening Matthew Sweet "Girlfriend" LP - pouring more salt in those wounds!
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu May 27, 2021 8:38 am

It was the Void and No Escape picks that convinced you, right? :lol:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu May 27, 2021 8:40 am

gregpolard wrote:

I feel honored

Sidenote: I read your message while listening Matthew Sweet "Girlfriend" LP - pouring more salt in those wounds!

Almost bought a '92 CD copy for like $2 at an antique mall the other day, but it was really scratched up; used to have it and had the deluxe at one point, too; is there a good-sounding Lp version? scannest can probably weigh in here. Great album. And great playlist, Greg. The Redd Kross song was a particular highlight for me. I really need to reassess Born Innocent. And the Melvins -> Quicksand transition was seamless; you are a natural DJ.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu May 27, 2021 8:45 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

I feel honored

Almost bought a '92 CD copy for like $2 at an antique mall the other day, but it was really scratched up; used to have it and had the deluxe at one point, too; is there a good-sounding Lp version? scannest can probably weigh in here. Great album. And great playlist, Greg. The Redd Kross song was a particular highlight for me. I really need to reassess Born Innocent. And the Melvins -> Quicksand transition was seamless; you are a natural DJ.

Thanks again!

I saw that they are actually reissuing "Girlfriend", "Altered Beast" and "100% Fun" this summer as double LP's with extra stuff.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu May 27, 2021 9:36 am

JGJR wrote:Almost bought a '92 CD copy for like $2 at an antique mall the other day, but it was really scratched up; used to have it and had the deluxe at one point, too; is there a good-sounding Lp version? scannest can probably weigh in here.

Intervention did fantastic vinyl reissues of the big 3 Matthew Sweet records - GIRLFRIEND, ALTERED BEAST, and 100% FUN:

https://www.interventionrecords.com/art ... hew-sweet/
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu May 27, 2021 9:51 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:Almost bought a '92 CD copy for like $2 at an antique mall the other day, but it was really scratched up; used to have it and had the deluxe at one point, too; is there a good-sounding Lp version? scannest can probably weigh in here.

Intervention did fantastic vinyl reissues of the big 3 Matthew Sweet records - GIRLFRIEND, ALTERED BEAST, and 100% FUN:

I'll have to grab these - I saw an ad on my IG that said they're out this summer but then I'm looking and see they already were released. Confusing! I put in a lowball offer on "Girlfriend" on discogs last week and they actually accepted (i offered $20) and also a sealed 100% Fun for like $23. I wonder what versions. Guess we'll see!
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu May 27, 2021 9:51 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

I feel honored

Thanks again!

I saw that they are actually reissuing "Girlfriend", "Altered Beast" and "100% Fun" this summer as double LP's with extra stuff.

Judging by the description above, I wonder if that's a vinyl reissue of the mid-'00s deluxe of Girlfriend. I just hope they don't use the same sources and go straight to the OG tapes. I don't have that set anymore, but those discs are brickwalled to shit iirc and my research seems to support that claim.

I also did some research on vinyl versions of this album and the 2019 Intervention reissue seems like the one to get. I wish I'd grabbed it, but regardless I hope that these new versions use the same sources and are done with the same care.

Altered Beast - I hope this is gonna be a straight reissue of this. https://www.discogs.com/Matthew-Sweet-A ... e/12520500

100% Fun - same as Altered Beast (again, it's Intervention), I'm hoping for a straight reissue that is easier to get than the Intervention editions are now.

https://www.discogs.com/Matthew-Sweet-1 ... e/12214543
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu May 27, 2021 9:53 am

scannest wrote:

Thanks for confirming that. I haven't heard them (yet), but everyone seems to love them and the one Intervention reissue I have is excellent (Joe Jackson's Summer in the City; its only vinyl release ever, actually).
JGJR

Return to daghouse