Trip Hop Rülz

Trip Hop Rülz

Postby version sound » Wed May 26, 2021 11:20 am

Stupid name, though. I think it’s largely been renamed “electronica” now, which is also a completely shit name that’s roughly the equivalent of the use of “new wave” as a marketing tool. I’ve been listening to a lot of Alpha lately, who are absolutely tops. If y’all fuck with Massive Attack and Portishead, you really need to check out the first few Alpha albums, Come From Heaven and The Impossible Thrill in particular. Like Massive Attack and Tricky, these dudes were affiliated with Bristol’s Wild Bunch.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Trip Hop Rülz

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed May 26, 2021 11:28 am

You're welcome. (Pssst: IDI)
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Wed May 26, 2021 12:40 pm

Come now, I was listening to this crap back in the early ‘90s because the British music press told me that Ride loved Blue Lines, while you were still flogging melodic hardcore to the masses.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed May 26, 2021 4:44 pm

Pretty sure that I was the one who discovered Portishead, Sneaker Pimps, Massive Attack while you were looking for some Spiritualized bootleg or something with your new wave haircut.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Thu May 27, 2021 10:09 am

version sound wrote:Stupid name, though. I think it’s largely been renamed “electronica” now, which is also a completely shit name that’s roughly the equivalent of the use of “new wave” as a marketing tool. I’ve been listening to a lot of Alpha lately, who are absolutely tops. If y’all fuck with Massive Attack and Portishead, you really need to check out the first few Alpha albums, Come From Heaven and The Impossible Thrill in particular. Like Massive Attack and Tricky, these dudes were affiliated with Bristol’s Wild Bunch.

No idea how I have never heard of these folks (Alpha). I love Portishead, saw them play in 2011 when they headlined and curated the only ATP festival held in Asbury Park. Legit tears during some songs on Dummy. I listened to Massive Attack a lot in the late '90s and early '00s as well, particularly Mezzanine and No Protection, same with Tricky, but only Maxinquaye really grabbed me. Neneh Cherry's 1st solo album is full of all of those cats' contributions, too, and is really good, too.

This will interest you, but that weekend, they (Portishead) booked The Pop Group (who were great), the ancestors of that whole Bristol scene. Food for thought?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu May 27, 2021 10:11 am

version sound wrote:Come now, I was listening to this crap back in the early ‘90s because the British music press told me that Ride loved Blue Lines, while you were still flogging melodic hardcore to the masses.

I know you don't care for melodic hardcore (I love it, though), but why does one have to choose? :lol:
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu May 27, 2021 11:02 am

Morcheeba never gets any love.

Nor QKumba Zoo.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Thu May 27, 2021 12:04 pm

Note "quite" trip hop, but sorta crossing paths with that scene. Both of these albums are extremely underrated IMHO.

https://www.discogs.com/Scala-Beauty-No ... ster/32887

https://www.discogs.com/Locust-Morning- ... ster/23546
patient_ot

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu May 27, 2021 12:27 pm

The worst Trip Hop artist is 10 x better than the best hip hop artist.

FACT
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Thu May 27, 2021 12:54 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:Come now, I was listening to this crap back in the early ‘90s because the British music press told me that Ride loved Blue Lines, while you were still flogging melodic hardcore to the masses.

I know you don't care for melodic hardcore (I love it, though), but why does one have to choose? :lol:

Life is all about choices, my friend.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu May 27, 2021 12:56 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:The worst Trip Hop artist is 10 x better than the best hip hop artist.

FACT

Most so-called trip hop artists would classify themselves as hip-hop heads of the organic, DJ, record collecting/crate digging/backpack sort. They've just slowed down breakbeats (James Brown samples, essentially), the same stuff used in hip-hop extensively and sped up in jungle. When you dig back far enough, this stuff comes from similar sources....
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu May 27, 2021 12:57 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:No idea how I have never heard of these folks (Alpha).

They’ve never gotten the kind of love that their peers have. I must have found them through Melody Maker or Mixmag. Do yourself a favor and give Come From Heaven a listen.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Thu May 27, 2021 2:09 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:The worst Trip Hop artist is 10 x better than the best hip hop artist.

FACT

I love breakbeats and bass, therefore, I am definitely a fan of good hip hop. Being that it’s the breaks and the bass that I’m really into, I don’t really tend to focus a lot on the rap/MC aspect of it. For me, a good flow will never rescue a poor music track. That said, there are rappers that I do like a lot. They tend to be more on the old school end of things, and they are pretty much all backed by excellent producers. Musically speaking, I’m not sure there is really much difference between trip hop and hip hop. As JGJR pointed out, it all comes from the same musical roots. Something like this could easily be dropped into a Kruder & Dorfmeister set, and everyone would be loving it:

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Thu May 27, 2021 2:19 pm

JGJR wrote:Tricky, but only Maxinquaye really grabbed me.

I would suggest revisiting Pre-Millenium Tension when you can. It's far darker than Max and a better album IMHO. His Nearly God project is also good, though I don't have a copy of that one anymore and haven't heard it in many years.

Angels With Dirty Faces is where Tricky lost me. I wanted to like that album but the material was just weak. Even the PJ Harvey guest spot couldn't save it.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Thu May 27, 2021 2:24 pm

JGJR wrote:Most so-called trip hop artists would classify themselves as hip-hop heads of the organic, DJ, record collecting/crate digging/backpack sort. They've just slowed down breakbeats (James Brown samples, essentially), the same stuff used in hip-hop extensively and sped up in jungle. When you dig back far enough, this stuff comes from similar sources....

That's exactly where Massive Attack came from AFAIK, though early on they crossed over with house music and some other things (prior to the first album). Although "trip hop" is rooted in hip hop, I think it's something very different at the end of the day, mainly because hip hop was based on American culture (though it spread to other places) while "trip hop" at least at the outset, was a UK/British thing. I don't think American hip hop guys would have though of slowing the tempo down, making things murky sounding, then adding melodic female vocals over the top either. I also hear a fair amount of dub influence in some trip-hop, whereas you don't really get that with a lot of hip hop/rap music. Some rap was heavily influenced by late 70s/early 80s "rub a dub" dancehall music though.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Thu May 27, 2021 2:54 pm

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:Most so-called trip hop artists would classify themselves as hip-hop heads of the organic, DJ, record collecting/crate digging/backpack sort. They've just slowed down breakbeats (James Brown samples, essentially), the same stuff used in hip-hop extensively and sped up in jungle. When you dig back far enough, this stuff comes from similar sources....

That's exactly where Massive Attack came from AFAIK, though early on they crossed over with house music and some other things (prior to the first album). Although "trip hop" is rooted in hip hop, I think it's something very different at the end of the day, mainly because hip hop was based on American culture (though it spread to other places) while "trip hop" at least at the outset, was a UK/British thing. I don't think American hip hop guys would have though of slowing the tempo down, making things murky sounding, then adding melodic female vocals over the top either. I also hear a fair amount of dub influence in some trip-hop, whereas you don't really get that with a lot of hip hop/rap music. Some rap was heavily influenced by late 70s/early 80s "rub a dub" dancehall music though.

Isn't that exactly what happened to hip-hop in the mid to late '90s both in the underground (the Houston cough syrup guys like DJ Screw, etc.) and mainstream when every chorus started having female singers singing the hook (see the group Total singing the chorus to "Juicy," etc.) ? Otherwise, I think you are spot on.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu May 27, 2021 3:21 pm

I mean, yeah, trip hop definitely started out as a British thing and grew from there, but it is very much rooted in b-boy culture. The biggest difference, as has already been mentioned, is the bigger influence of reggae and dub.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu May 27, 2021 4:36 pm

THE HUGENESS..................!

xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu May 27, 2021 5:19 pm

version sound wrote:I mean, yeah, trip hop definitely started out as a British thing and grew from there, but it is very much rooted in b-boy culture. The biggest difference, as has already been mentioned, is the bigger influence of reggae and dub.

I can certainly deal with a reggae/dub/electronica hybrid. Those backdrops can be magnificent. (Massive Attack, Faithless(though they are more house) Sneaker Pimps, Portishead (who I discovered).)

Its the straight rap that sucks.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu May 27, 2021 11:17 pm

patient_ot wrote:Note "quite" trip hop, but sorta crossing paths with that scene. Both of these albums are extremely underrated IMHO.

https://www.discogs.com/Scala-Beauty-No ... ster/32887

https://www.discogs.com/Locust-Morning- ... ster/23546

That Scala album looks like it has my name on it.
xxxMidgexxx

Return to daghouse