Rap sux.

Rap sux.

Postby SamDBL » Sun May 23, 2021 1:41 pm

Again, there may be some level of artistry involved, which distinguish 'good' from 'bad' within the genre (even that is up for debate). But there are no musical instruments being played, by and large. Therefore, no musicianship is present. Therefore, if you prefer to hear music played on actual instruments, this is not the genre for you.
SamDBL

Re: Rap sux.

Postby kel » Sun May 23, 2021 2:06 pm

I dislike the genre.

Probably just for the sake of debate, I would, however, posit that "musicianship" and "instruments" are -like most art- flexible terms.

If someone chooses to use drum machines, samples, industrial noises, and such as their "instruments", making a piece of art out of existing art that is different (note I didn't say "greater than") than the whole/original... then I guess that's their thing. There's obviously some technical skills required in programming percussion devices. It may lean even more past skills and towards "talent" if someone can get machinery making modern music and still be open hearted. :?

A drum circle of people banging on paint buckets doesn't have much in the way of instruments, but it can be quite evolved.

That said, the sadly prolific themes of an awful lot of rap (constant braggadocio, foul-mouthed sexist and racist lyrics, glorification of crime, etc.) turns me off even if I *did* like the 4/4 beats of an Roland 808 machine set to loop.
kel

Postby lewdd » Sun May 23, 2021 3:01 pm

lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun May 23, 2021 4:26 pm

SamDBL wrote:Again, there may be some level of artistry involved

No. There is no level of artistry. You had it right the first time. Rap sucks. It sucks shit and should be destroyed.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby SamDBL » Sun May 23, 2021 5:16 pm

No, calling a computer program an instrument does not qualify it as such. It's as morertophorical as saying a recording studio is a musical instrument. No it isn't.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun May 23, 2021 5:31 pm

SamDBL wrote:No, calling a computer program an instrument does not qualify it as such. It's as morertophorical as saying a recording studio is a musical instrument. No it isn't.

I don't agree with that really. Programmers can still be creative without using conventional instruments and just using software, live cut vocals, etc.. as in house/u-dub, ambient.

Rap just sucks as a sound/art form. I could deal with a lot of beats and backdrops. I actually like some of them. But when those assholes open their mouths, then its all over for me.

If some asshole opens his mouth to sing, it better be punk rock or I'm outta here.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Sun May 23, 2021 5:35 pm

did you start drinking again
lewdd

Postby SamDBL » Sun May 23, 2021 5:36 pm

But saying a musical instrument is anything you create music is too broad. You are not playing an instrument in any real sense of the term when you cut and paste stuff around on a computer. As stated, there is an artistic aspect to that. But it is not playing an instrument when you are using protools, or whatever.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun May 23, 2021 5:56 pm

Hence the definition of 'genre'. ie: EDM artists never claimed to be of Coltraine's skill for the instrument.

'All this machinery making modern music can still be open hearted'.

Except rap, which just sucks.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Sun May 23, 2021 6:02 pm

Does this count as rap?
lewdd

Postby kel » Sun May 23, 2021 7:36 pm

SamDBL wrote:But saying a musical instrument is anything you create music is too broad. You are not playing an instrument in any real sense of the term when you cut and paste stuff around on a computer. As stated, there is an artistic aspect to that. But it is not playing an instrument when you are using protools, or whatever.

Does your wide brush also paint Industrial genre bands this way?

I'm not terribly familiar in the type, but I think of Ministry, NIN, etc. using samples of factory machine sounds on loops. Those examples probably lend themselves to a spurious comeback, because there was some distorted guitar played over it, but I'm sure there's plenty of Industrial bands that were/are 100% sequenced/"fake" instruments.

SamDBL wrote:It's as morertophorical as saying a recording studio is a musical instrument. No it isn't.

I had to look up "moretophorical". :)

But, weird coincidence, I was just reading an article last night about Zepplin's "Houses of the Holy" where they used that phrase... that Page was expanding his experimental palett by "using the recording studio as a musical instrument." The Beatles were certainly known for using the mixing board, tape loops, etc. as "instruments" in their own right. Sure, I'd counter that some analog traditional instrument signal was fed into the rotating Leslie speaker and backwards-tape looped through an echo machine, but... Shrug.

I must be bored to spar on this subject, because I truly detest rap music and would never argue it's GOOD. I just am open to allowing for use of whatever "instrument" happens to let out someone's artistic expression, whether or not it is plucked, strummed, hit with a stick, input on a keyboard, whistled, blown across a reed, tipped over like a rainstick, or not even touched at all like a theremin.

kel

Postby version sound » Sun May 23, 2021 7:50 pm

So, I guess you guys consider singers who don’t play an instrument artistic deadweight?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby target » Sun May 23, 2021 8:13 pm

I’m a fan!
target

Postby kel » Sun May 23, 2021 8:13 pm

version sound wrote:So, I guess you guys consider singers who don’t play an instrument artistic deadweight?

An excellent point. I should have included "Gregorian chanted" into my list of inputs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2S_2gxxTnQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHDZik_yqqk
kel

Postby SamDBL » Sun May 23, 2021 8:44 pm

kel wrote:
SamDBL wrote:But saying a musical instrument is anything you create music is too broad. You are not playing an instrument in any real sense of the term when you cut and paste stuff around on a computer. As stated, there is an artistic aspect to that. But it is not playing an instrument when you are using protools, or whatever.

Does your wide brush also paint Industrial genre bands this way?

I'm not terribly familiar in the type, but I think of Ministry, NIN, etc. using samples of factory machine sounds on loops. Those examples probably lend themselves to a spurious comeback, because there was some distorted guitar played over it, but I'm sure there's plenty of Industrial bands that were/are 100% sequenced/"fake" instruments.

SamDBL wrote:It's as morertophorical as saying a recording studio is a musical instrument. No it isn't.

I had to look up "moretophorical". :)

But, weird coincidence, I was just reading an article last night about Zepplin's "Houses of the Holy" where they used that phrase... that Page was expanding his experimental palett by "using the recording studio as a musical instrument." The Beatles were certainly known for using the mixing board, tape loops, etc. as "instruments" in their own right. Sure, I'd counter that some analog traditional instrument signal was fed into the rotating Leslie speaker and backwards-tape looped through an echo machine, but... Shrug.

I must be bored to spar on this subject, because I truly detest rap music and would never argue it's GOOD. I just am open to allowing for use of whatever "instrument" happens to let out someone's artistic expression, whether or not it is plucked, strummed, hit with a stick, input on a keyboard, whistled, blown across a reed, tipped over like a rainstick, or not even touched at all like a theremin.

It is a generalization. I’m sure there are rap bands that play actual instruments. But that the rare exception in the genre. The majority of the music in bands like ministry and nin is played on actual instruments, so I don’t see how that even comes close to being analogous to what I’m talking about.

Using something ‘as an instrument’ is a really clumsy catch-all metaphor that gets abused a ton.

Just as tapping on the steering wheel doesn’t qualify your car as an instrument except in the most base, technical sense of the term, a DAW is also not an instrument in the same way that a trombone or violin is. I’m not saying you can’t create art from mediums other than musical instrumentation... I’m saying that it’s such a different project that I think it should be classified differently. Radically differently.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Sun May 23, 2021 8:57 pm

version sound wrote:So, I guess you guys consider singers who don’t play an instrument artistic deadweight?

Vocals are in a league of their own. Whereas someone that plays, say, guitar at beginner level is way more fit to be called a ‘musician’ than a person that makes music solely with the use of a daw... that’s not the case with a voice. A well-trained voice is an instrument in pretty much the most traditional and purest sense. However, a bad singer is back to being on par with the computer programmer. Being that we can all speak since age 3/4/5, it takes absolutely no discernible effort to sing badly. In that anyone can do it at any time. In fact, singing badly (which anyone can do at any time) actually takes *less* effort than the couple of hours you’d have to put in to learn how to cut and paste samples on a daw.

So, Freddie Mercury - actual musician just for singing the way he did
Darby Crash - pretty much dead weight, musically.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun May 23, 2021 10:04 pm

Not at all. It's just that rap sucks. Just trying to stick with the topic.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby jaybird » Mon May 24, 2021 7:28 am

Three nebbish-y Jews made the greatest hip-hop album of all time.

jaybird

Postby gregpolard » Mon May 24, 2021 7:31 am

This thread is very "old white guy" :roll:
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Mon May 24, 2021 7:45 am

gregpolard wrote:This thread is very "old white guy" :roll:

This whole board is very "old white guy"... I mean, you're like 40 and probably the youngest person here.

So, yeah. Guilty as charged.
jaybird

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon May 24, 2021 8:34 am

jaybird wrote:Three nebbish-y Jews made the greatest hip-hop album of all time.

I will say this. As much as I do not like rap at all, THAT is a decent album. But its' because it draws from a diverse variety of musical genres and moods. It muddies up the term 'rap' and that's the only way I could like it. There's some jazz crossing over...and the writing is bizarre.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon May 24, 2021 8:37 am

:roll:
So??? Do you not like white people??
xxxMidgexxx

Postby target » Mon May 24, 2021 9:10 am

jaybird wrote:Three nebbish-y Jews made the greatest hip-hop album of all time.

correction: the greatest rap album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyPwEm_ ... SIuVc1Dfrx
target

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon May 24, 2021 9:15 am

jaybird wrote:

This whole board is very "old white guy"... I mean, you're like 40 and probably the youngest person here.

So, yeah. Guilty as charged.

xxxMidgexxx

Postby the mean » Mon May 24, 2021 9:56 am

I'm ignoring the old white guy complaining and just posting random rap songs that I like.

the mean

Postby the mean » Mon May 24, 2021 9:57 am

the mean

Postby the mean » Mon May 24, 2021 9:59 am

the mean

Postby the mean » Mon May 24, 2021 10:01 am

the mean

Postby the mean » Mon May 24, 2021 10:03 am

the mean

Postby the mean » Mon May 24, 2021 10:03 am

the mean

Postby the mean » Mon May 24, 2021 10:21 am

the mean

Postby the mean » Mon May 24, 2021 10:22 am

One more for now.

the mean

Postby SamDBL » Mon May 24, 2021 10:37 am

How I came to this conclusion was some rap video came across my feed. I didn't like it, of course. But I did find it objectively better than, say, anything by Drake or Kanye West. The lyrics were way more clever. The delivery of the lyrics was bizarre, and therefore kind of unpredictable, and therefore more interesting. The video itself wasn't offensively terrible. But there was still something about it that I intuitively knew made it lesser than other forms of music. And that thing was that there were no instruments being played, of course. Just programmed samples of beats put into loops. You may *like* the final product as a listener. But there's not much skillfulness to it beyond maybe the lyrics, even in the best of cases.
SamDBL

Postby gregpolard » Mon May 24, 2021 10:47 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Not really, no.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon May 24, 2021 11:50 am

gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Not really, no.

Is it....some sort....of self loathing? :? :lol:

PS: Racist much? :lol:
Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Mon May 24, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon May 24, 2021 12:05 pm

the mean wrote:I'm ignoring the old white guy complaining..

A good demonstration of 'ignoring' something would be not posting anything at all. Just sayin. :lol:

Not to mention that your statement pretty much qualifies as a racist one.
Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Mon May 24, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Mark T. » Mon May 24, 2021 12:17 pm

Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby SamDBL » Mon May 24, 2021 1:06 pm

So basically what we're saying is that gamers playing a golfing video game against each other has the same legitimacy as an actual golf tournament played by actual golfers with actual golf clubs on an actual golf course.

Virtual music. That's what rap is.
Last edited by SamDBL on Mon May 24, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamDBL

Postby gregpolard » Mon May 24, 2021 1:11 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Not really, no.

Go listen to some hip hop and call me in the morning.
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon May 24, 2021 1:17 pm

gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Not really, no.

Go listen to some hip hop and call me in the morning.

Hi Greg. NO!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon May 24, 2021 1:19 pm

Its the same old scenario. Once someone says they hate rap, they're automatically a racist. Even though race was nowhere to be found within the topic. The ultra lib PC thugs conveniently add race to the equation.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Mon May 24, 2021 1:22 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Its the same old scenario. Once someone says they hate rap, they're automatically a racist. Even though race was nowhere to be found within the topic. The ultra lib PC thugs conveniently add race to the equation.

Who said you were racist? You asked if *I* was lol
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon May 24, 2021 1:26 pm

gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Its the same old scenario. Once someone says they hate rap, they're automatically a racist. Even though race was nowhere to be found within the topic. The ultra lib PC thugs conveniently add race to the equation.

LMFAO...WELP...Who exactly were you referring to with this one:

"This thread is very "old white guy" :lol:
xxxMidgexxx

Postby SamDBL » Mon May 24, 2021 1:29 pm

I always find the 'you're old' knee jerk from old guys in these discussions to be just pitiful. I always picture the person that levels it having salt/pepper hair with a baseball hat cocked sideways and a flavor flav clock necklace that skateboards to work typing it. They also say stuff like 'bruh' to their kids at dinner.
SamDBL

Postby gregpolard » Mon May 24, 2021 1:47 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Def read this :

https://www.aclrc.com/myth-of-reverse-racism
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Mon May 24, 2021 1:47 pm

SamDBL wrote:I always find the 'you're old' knee jerk from old guys in these discussions to be just pitiful. I always picture the person that levels it having salt/pepper hair with a baseball hat cocked sideways and a flavor flav clock necklace that skateboards to work typing it. They also say stuff like 'bruh' to their kids at dinner.

Yeah, that’s me to a T
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon May 24, 2021 1:57 pm

gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Def read this :

:lol: LMFAO....
So let me get this straight. You can call someone an 'old white guy' strictly because they don't like rap, and defend yourself by posting a 'reverse racism is not a thing' website even though you can't justify making the ORIGINAL comment in the first place.

:lol:

Go listen to some Marillion and call me in the morning, Greg. LOL
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Mon May 24, 2021 2:00 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Def read this :

:lol: LMFAO....
So let me get this straight. You can call someone an 'old white guy' strictly because they don't like rap, and defend yourself by posting a 'reverse racism is not a thing' website even though you can't justify making the ORIGINAL comment in the first place.

:lol:

Go listen to some Marillion and call me in the morning, Greg. LOL

I quoted the wrong text in reply. I meant to quote the one where you said me joking that I didn't care for white people was racist. I blew it.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Mon May 24, 2021 2:03 pm

Also, given by what I post about on here and other social media outlets....it's pretty clear I don't listen to much rap at all. But I also don't think that it requires no talent, and there is rap that I like so I won't write off the genre.
gregpolard

Postby the mean » Mon May 24, 2021 2:27 pm

the mean

Next

Return to daghouse