The Posies - a thread

The Posies - a thread

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 18, 2021 7:57 am

I'm basically making these for Scannest.

My Sloan kick naturally brought me to a Posies kick.

Scanny - when you get a chance, I'd love a breakdown of your thoughts on the albums like on the Sloan thread.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: The Posies - a thread

Postby scannest » Tue May 18, 2021 8:19 am

As much as I love them, looking at their catalog vs. Sloan's...there really is no comparison. The Posies put out 3 terrific records in the '90s, but the rest are fairly weak.

Dear 23 is the Zombies on steroids, or Jellyfish if they grew a pair and dropped the prog influences.
Frosting on the Beater is their grunge masterpiece. All the hits in one place.
Amazing Disgrace is my personal fave. The guitars on this record are amazing. Terrific songs. All over the place in terms of styles and arrangements. Incredibly well-crafted and interesting.

And seriously, nothing else in their catalog comes close. Their songwriting has gotten more...I dunno, obscure over the years. Like they don't trust their pop instincts any more so they slather all this baroque stuff all over it. I get, Ken and Jon are amazing musicians who can play and sing just about anything. Doesn't mean I want to hear them try. With the right rhythm section and right song selection, they are still capable of kicking butt live.

And...that's all I got.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Tue May 18, 2021 8:27 am

scannest wrote:Frosting on the Beater is their grunge masterpiece. All the hits in one place.

I still don't fully understand how "Dream All Day" wasn't a huge international hit. Yeah, I know, power pop doesn't sell, et al. but still.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 18, 2021 8:30 am

I think the first record "Failure" is really good as well but to my ears the albums you mentioned (the DGC years) are clearly their best stuff.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Tue May 18, 2021 8:54 am

gregpolard wrote:I think the first record "Failure" is really good as well but to my ears the albums you mentioned (the DGC years) are clearly their best stuff.

It's good, but not exactly my cup of tea. Is 'Acoustic Goth' a fair description?
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 18, 2021 9:00 am

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I think the first record "Failure" is really good as well but to my ears the albums you mentioned (the DGC years) are clearly their best stuff.

It's good, but not exactly my cup of tea. Is 'Acoustic Goth' a fair description?

I can see that. haha
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue May 18, 2021 10:07 am

gregpolard wrote:I'm basically making these for Scannest.

My first question was going to be “are you sucking up to scannest?”
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 18, 2021 10:20 am

version sound wrote:

HAHAH! I know, right? He'd be very happy with my playlists of late. :)
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 18, 2021 4:58 pm

Sidenote:

It will never not be weird to me to think that there was a point in time where, AFTER that 3 record run of bangers in the 90s, Ken Stringfellow was in Lagwagon.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue May 18, 2021 7:55 pm

gregpolard wrote:Sidenote:

It will never not be weird to me to think that there was a point in time where, AFTER that 3 record run of bangers in the 90s, Ken Stringfellow was in Lagwagon.

He's played with everyone, though, even Ringo. That's kind of his thing. But yeah, it's still kinda weird.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 19, 2021 6:09 am

JGJR wrote:

He's played with everyone, though, even Ringo. That's kind of his thing. But yeah, it's still kinda weird.

Yeah but Ringo makes sense. Lagwagon is something I would not have seen coming.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue May 25, 2021 12:48 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Yeah but Ringo makes sense. Lagwagon is something I would not have seen coming.

Same here.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Tue May 25, 2021 1:08 pm

Ken also played with WHITE FLAG briefly. I think he was buddies with Pat Fear.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 25, 2021 1:35 pm

scannest wrote:Ken also played with WHITE FLAG briefly. I think he was buddies with Pat Fear.

Saw that recently too. I'm pretty sure he was in R.E.M. when I saw them on the "Up" tour.

I've been playing the HELL out of the first four albums lately to get through the work day.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Tue May 25, 2021 2:02 pm

Yes, he was a utility player with REM for a long time ('99 through '05 as per Wiki).
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 25, 2021 3:47 pm

Gonna be honest, the more I keep spinning the first album I'm kinda shocked you don't love this one too, scanny.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed May 26, 2021 8:03 am

gregpolard wrote:Gonna be honest, the more I keep spinning the first album I'm kinda shocked you don't love this one too, scanny.

Other than the "hits" (Blind Eyes Open & I May Hate You Sometimes...) it's never stuck with me. I discovered them with Dear 23 and went back to that one. It's so...thin by comparison, I've never returned to it all that much.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 26, 2021 12:59 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Gonna be honest, the more I keep spinning the first album I'm kinda shocked you don't love this one too, scanny.

Other than the "hits" (Blind Eyes Open & I May Hate You Sometimes...) it's never stuck with me. I discovered them with Dear 23 and went back to that one. It's so...thin by comparison, I've never returned to it all that much.

Give 'er another spin!
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed May 26, 2021 3:33 pm

Okay, calling the first record 'Acoustic Goth' was kinda dumb. More of a reference to their haircuts at the time than anything else. The songs are a really smart mix of '60s stuff like Zombies and the Left Banke, with shiny '80s Brit-pop like the Smiths, Housemartins, Style Counsel. And their close harmonies never sounded more like the Everly Brothers than they do on the first record. Still, it is mainly acoustic driven home demos. Given the monster band they'd become, it still sounds more like sketches than anything else.

Now Greg, the question remains - when are you gonna start a YOU AM I thread?
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 26, 2021 3:37 pm

scannest wrote:Okay, calling the first record 'Acoustic Goth' was kinda dumb. More of a reference to their haircuts at the time than anything else. The songs are a really smart mix of '60s stuff like Zombies and the Left Banke, with shiny '80s Brit-pop like the Smiths, Housemartins, Style Counsel. And their close harmonies never sounded more like the Everly Brothers than they do on the first record. Still, it is mainly acoustic driven home demos. Given the monster band they'd become, it still sounds more like sketches than anything else.

Edit: Adding that I kinda (lol) knew what you meant re: acoustic goth cause of the look they had, but also the Smithsy vibe to things that they seemed to shed after this record.

Funny you mention

In the Teenage Fanclub fans group on FB someone said the big Four of "power pop" is:

TFC
The Posies
Sloan
You Am I

I've never heard them. Give me a record and I will play tomorrow at work.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed May 26, 2021 3:43 pm

gregpolard wrote:TFC
The Posies
Sloan
You Am I

You Am I's #4 Record is the best album the Replacements never released.
I'd swap out VELVET CRUSH for TFC on that list and it'd be pretty perfect.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 26, 2021 3:55 pm

scannest wrote:
The Posies
Sloan
You Am I

Great, now you're gonna make me take a Velvet Crush dive. Record, please?
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Wed May 26, 2021 4:13 pm

GREAT video

jaybird

Postby jaybird » Wed May 26, 2021 4:24 pm

gregpolard wrote:
In the Teenage Fanclub fans group on FB someone said the big Four of "power pop" is:

TFC
The Posies
Sloan
You Am I

P.S.: Nothing against any of these bands - they're all great - but no fucking way on Earth are any of them in "The Big Four" of power pop.

Power pop is a difficult genre to solidly define, because it spans several decades and easily bleeds into into other genres like punk, new wave, pop punk and even classic rock, but any of these would all be good first round Hall of Fame ballot choices for the real "Big Four" of power pop:

Cheap Trick
The Knack
The Raspberries
Badfinger
Big Star
The Nerves/Plimsouls
The Beat (Paul Collins)
jaybird

Postby scannest » Wed May 26, 2021 4:46 pm

gregpolard wrote:Great, now you're gonna make me take a Velvet Crush dive. Record, please?

TEENAGE SYMPHONIES TO GOD
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu May 27, 2021 6:20 am

jaybird wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

TFC
The Posies
Sloan
You Am I

P.S.: Nothing against any of these bands - they're all great - but no fucking way on Earth are any of them in "The Big Four" of power pop.

Power pop is a difficult genre to solidly define, because it spans several decades and easily bleeds into into other genres like punk, new wave, pop punk and even classic rock, but any of these would all be good first round Hall of Fame ballot choices for the real "Big Four" of power pop:

Cheap Trick
The Knack
The Raspberries
Badfinger
Big Star
The Nerves/Plimsouls
The Beat (Paul Collins)

Easy there. I think they meant more from like late 80s/90's. And also they mentioned because of locale :

TFC (Scotland)
You Am I (Australia)
Sloan (Canada)
Posies (Murica)
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu May 27, 2021 7:38 am

jaybird wrote:P.S.: Nothing against any of these bands - they're all great - but no fucking way on Earth are any of them in "The Big Four" of power pop.

Cheap Trick
The Knack
The Raspberries
Badfinger
Big Star
The Nerves/Plimsouls
The Beat (Paul Collins)

I get yer point. The bands you listed are all originators of Power Pop in one way or another, but I'd rather listen to the bands on "Greg's List" than any of these, WITH THE EXCEPTION of Cheap Trick and Big Star. IMHO, the rest are great singles bands that don't really go too deep as far as great songs go.
scannest

Postby jaybird » Thu May 27, 2021 9:27 am

gregpolard wrote:
jaybird wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

TFC
The Posies
Sloan
You Am I

Cheap Trick
The Knack
The Raspberries
Badfinger
Big Star
The Nerves/Plimsouls
The Beat (Paul Collins)

Easy there. I think they meant more from like late 80s/90's. And also they mentioned because of locale :

TFC (Scotland)
You Am I (Australia)
Sloan (Canada)
Posies (Murica)

I guess that makes a little more sense with the geographic & era-framing... but still, Kind of a short-sighted and silly list to call those bands the "Big Four" of anything.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 am

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:Okay, calling the first record 'Acoustic Goth' was kinda dumb. More of a reference to their haircuts at the time than anything else. The songs are a really smart mix of '60s stuff like Zombies and the Left Banke, with shiny '80s Brit-pop like the Smiths, Housemartins, Style Counsel. And their close harmonies never sounded more like the Everly Brothers than they do on the first record. Still, it is mainly acoustic driven home demos. Given the monster band they'd become, it still sounds more like sketches than anything else.

Edit: Adding that I kinda (lol) knew what you meant re: acoustic goth cause of the look they had, but also the Smithsy vibe to things that they seemed to shed after this record.

Funny you mention

TFC
The Posies
Sloan
You Am I

How are Fountains of Wayne not part of that conversation?
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu May 27, 2021 10:53 am

scannest wrote:
The Posies
Sloan
You Am I

You were not lying re: You Am I. This is like a lost record between PTMM and Don't Tell A Soul, IMO!
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Thu May 27, 2021 12:44 pm

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Funny you mention

TFC
The Posies
Sloan
You Am I

How are Fountains of Wayne not part of that conversation?

You'd have to ask the Teenage Fanclub Fanclub on FB :D :lol:
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Thu May 27, 2021 12:46 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Great, now you're gonna make me take a Velvet Crush dive. Record, please?

TEENAGE SYMPHONIES TO GOD

Playing this one now. I've always remembered this album cover for some reason. And of course, the title being a homage to The Beach Boys "SMiLE" is always a plus.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu May 27, 2021 12:47 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:How are Fountains of Wayne not part of that conversation?

You'd have to ask the Teenage Fanclub Fanclub on FB :D :lol:

Ha ha. I'm just surprised; that's all. I wonder if the fact that they actually had a bit mainstream hit ("Stacy's Mom") makes some power pop folks rate them lower. I still think their 1st 3 albums are as good as the genre gets in the modern era (last 30 years or so). Stunning lyrically and very catchy hooks and clever arrangements, etc.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:41 pm

So it's been out for like, 9 months, but they have a new song that's quite good. Their site says new album in 2021.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:00 pm

So this week at work I dove into the post-Amazing Disgrace stuff.

It's not bad, but it definitely does not grab me like the first 4 do. The newest album "Solid States" has a lot of electronic flourishes, which I was not expecting. I should probably spin my vinyl copy :lol:
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:01 pm

Bought a ticket for the Posies live stream on 7/24
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:58 pm

gregpolard wrote:Bought a ticket for the Posies live stream on 7/24

Can't do it. Done with the live streaming thing. I'll see them when I see them.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:01 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Bought a ticket for the Posies live stream on 7/24

Can't do it. Done with the live streaming thing. I'll see them when I see them.

I only did the Dino Jr. and thought it was awesome because when it was over I was already on my couch haha
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:46 pm

Bumping this because thanks to Greg sending me this fabulous song, I've listened to Blood/Candy for the first time and really enjoying it. In fact, at least on first listen, the production appeals to me more than the '90s stuff, as do the very heavy Pet Sounds/Smile-era vibes here (but not especially on this track). I don't know if that's a hot take, but whatevs.

JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:56 pm

JGJR wrote:Bumping this because thanks to Greg sending me this fabulous song, I've listened to Blood/Candy for the first time and really enjoying it. In fact, at least on first listen, the production appeals to me more than the '90s stuff, as do the very heavy Pet Sounds/Smile-era vibes here (but not especially on this track). I don't know if that's a hot take, but whatevs.

This song is pure fire! :D
gregpolard

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:15 pm

I really like Dear 23 and Frosting but never went further than that. I keep meaning to pick up more stuff by them but never get around to it.
patient_ot

Postby Dinko » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:16 am

I own most of their regular records, and here's how I rank them:

1. Amazing Disgrace
2. Nice Cheekbones
3. Blood/Candy
4. Success
5. Failure
6. Frosting
7. Dear 23
8. Every Kind of Light
9. Solid States

Auer's solo records are all close behind AD in my book.
Touched is the only Stringfellow album I listen to.
Love those Saltine songs.
And this compilation of coversongs is near perfect (the hidden track includes a nod to another song with very similar riffage... spoiler: It features a cowbell):
http://www.burningskyrecords.com/bsrposiesv2.php
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:06 am

Dinko wrote:I own most of their regular records, and here's how I rank them:

1. Amazing Disgrace
2. Nice Cheekbones
3. Blood/Candy
4. Success
5. Failure
6. Frosting
7. Dear 23
8. Every Kind of Light
9. Solid States

Auer's solo records are all close behind AD in my book.
Touched is the only Stringfellow album I listen to.
Love those Saltine songs.
And this compilation of coversongs is near perfect (the hidden track includes a nod to another song with very similar riffage... spoiler: It features a cowbell):
http://www.burningskyrecords.com/bsrposiesv2.php

Very interesting ranking. I had no idea about their tribute comp, I'll have to check it out.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:25 am

Nice, Dinko!

As far as solo stuff goes, Jon's Songs from the Year of Our Demise is excellent, as is Ken's Touched. It came out 9/11/01 and one of the first shows I saw post...that, was Ken at a flower shop in Manhattan. It was pretty magical and "Here's to the Future" will always be associated with that time for me, like Ryan Adams' "New York New York".
Since you mentioned the Saltine project, does anyone remember the 'metal' band that Ken fronted? The dudes were Scandinavian, I want to say. He just sang, but they were pretty great - AC/DC, Slade style stuff. I think they put put two albums.
And let's not forget that Ken also did time fronting Marky Ramone's Blitzkrieg! Marky had different singers depending on where he was touring, and I think Ken was his European go-to.
scannest

Postby scannest » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:39 am

UPDATE: My sister remembered! - the band was called The Disciplines. Dudes were from Norway. And it's less metal than Hives inspired r'n'r.

scannest

Postby Dinko » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:49 am

"Hello, Oslo" is a great song. I think the Disciplines are still active. Somehow.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-support ... legal-fund

Personally, I think that's kinda... strange?
Dinko

Postby scannest » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:30 pm

Dinko wrote:"Hello, Oslo" is a great song. I think the Disciplines are still active. Somehow.

That GoFundMe thing is over 2 years old. I haven't heard Ken mention the band in a long time.
scannest

Postby Dinko » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:11 pm

scannest wrote:
Dinko wrote:"Hello, Oslo" is a great song. I think the Disciplines are still active. Somehow.

That GoFundMe thing is over 2 years old. I haven't heard Ken mention the band in a long time.

Yep, that's why I think it's strange. I mean, "Stringfellow" has a mighty ring to it. Just rename it "Stringfellow & The Disciplined Latitudinarians", save the money and sell the records at concerts.
Dinko

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:32 am

Some Posies updates:

1) I believe they also have a new album in the can. The song "Sideways" I mentioned above has been on repeat lately. Great song
2) Their vinyl is easier to find than Sloan. I now have all of the proper LP's that they released on vinyl except for (see 3)
3) "Success" was apparently only released on LP in Spain on some weird label. PopLlama did the CD so I got that for like $3 but what's weird is (see 4)
4) "Every Kind Of Light" from 2005 was only ever pressed on cd so I spent 99 cents on that one.
5) The live stream this past weekend was awesome. I popped it on my laptop and sat while drinking an ice cold watermelon seltzer and was having running commentary on it via a text thread w/ Jude (my STdu cohost) and another friend.
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:48 pm

version sound wrote:

Is that a question?
xxxMidgexxx

Next

Return to daghouse