Vintage Stereo setups....

Vintage Stereo setups....

Postby johnnotkathi » Fri May 14, 2021 10:22 am

Who all is into this? Anyone? Aside from the fact that "I am vintage" and has a stereo in the 70's, I am relatively new and find the collecting/refinishing/refurbishing of the gear pretty fascinating......

What do you play your music on, aside from streaming on a phone, etc....
johnnotkathi

Re: Vintage Stereo setups....

Postby lewdd » Fri May 14, 2021 10:41 am

I just upgraded everything in the last year during covid from the semi upgrade I did about 3-4 years ago.

I have a JVC receiver that is about 25 years old and an Onkyo integrated amp that is about 3-4 years old that are in my storage room right now that I need to list somewhere to sell. There are also about 5 sets of speakers and 3 subwoofers that need to be sold too. And other peripherals like CD players, turntable, outdated streaming device, etc. That doesn't include the 2nd stereo setup I have in my office to rip vinyl.

I have all Cambridge Audio now - integrated amp, streamer, and CD transport to go with my Technics turntable. I am hoping I am done buying stereo equipment for the rest of my life.

When I am not listening in my music room, I am listening thru my computer run thru a Cambridge Audio DAC thru a cheap set of Edifier powered speakers. Or, I will stream from my tablet to a set of powered Klipsch speakers in my TV room. Debating whether to keep the Bluesound Node 2i setup in that room. I would sell it if I could find a buyer, but apparently no one on here has any interest in it.

I have too much equipment lying around that I need to sell, donate, or dispose of before the end of this year.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Fri May 14, 2021 12:37 pm

I constantly tweak my setup and I couldn't be happier with some recent upgrades. Before I start, I just wanted to thank patient_ot for all of his help and guidance in this process over the past 8 months or so. What a wonderful human he is. I'm sure he'll chime in here at some point.

Turntable: Technics 1210 MK2 either from 1990 or 2000 (can't tell which even given the SKU # but it's likely one of those)
From 2016 until a few weeks ago, I was using a Pro-Ject 1.2 that's now in a box. Obviously, it's a massive sonic upgrade, but it's not so much that everything sounds better, though some things do, but that I can just hear pressing quality, etc. better. Plus, it's nice that unlike the Pro-Ject (and other similar brands like Music Hall, etc.), I don't have to lift the platter and adjust the belt slightly (easy to do but annoying to have to do every time you want to play something at 45 rpm) as the button is right there. It looks great, has a little light on it to help with cueing, etc. I just love it.

As for the Pro-Ject, I live in an apartment in NYC, so if we ever have space, I want to put it in a different room as it still works well and I just replaced the needle on it last year.

Pre-amp: since neither of the turntables I use has a built-in pre-amp, I was using a shitty Memorex one that I got with the Pro-Ject when I bought it used. The guy also gave me a bunch of records, too, but I digress.

When I got the Technics last year, it came with this thing. I first replaced the Memorex with it to pair with the Pro-Ject because the Memorex pre-amp was (as I figured out later) making stuff go through only one of my speakers on occasion (I thought it was the speakers themselves or the connection, but thankfully that isn't the case) at some point last year and with the new needle, it was a complete revelation. https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Phono-Turnt ... 7158478798

For the price point, it's astonishing. I'd eventually like to get a nicer pre-amp, but that thing punches WAY above its weight. Read some of the reviews on there or this article.

https://blog.discogs.com/en/best-beginn ... ny-budget/

CD player: I got a Sony DVD player recently and have been using it to just play CDs. It's one of those that can play cd-r, cd-rws, mp3 discs, Dualdiscs, even HDCD and maybe SACD compatible, too; basically, whatever you want, it'll play it; the way it should be IMO. It sounds great and I feel like I can finally really hear pressing differences, et al.

Before that, I was using an also absolutely great sounding but problematic Onkyo CD player from the late '80s that I also got used back in 2017. It works great except that the tray is currently stuck. I actually have a disc in there now and want to bring it in for repair. I might try it myself, too, as I saw an instructional video on YouTube and the issue is likely a worn-out belt. It seems much easier to pay a guy I know in Philly 25 bucks to do it in 5 minutes and know it'll likely last a few more years (vintage CD players always come with problems in my experience, especially multiple disc changers) and again, it's not in use at the moment. I eventually want to put it in another room along with that Pro-Ject.

Cassettes - don't have a way to play those now except for an old analog tape recorder I used to use for interviews, but I've used it as a Walkman since I still have about a dozen cassettes and would love to collect them again. Not my favorite format, but lots of rare stuff, demos, etc. are still released in that format. I hope to get a JVC dual-deck (used to have one) or something similar soon.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby johnnotkathi » Fri May 14, 2021 3:08 pm

I have 2 setups in the house....

1 - Pioneer SX-780 receiver, Technices SL1500 turntable and KLH 6 speakers......had to have the receiver and turntable serviced after I bought them to get them in line....
2 - Sherwood SEL200 receiver, ELAC Miracord turntable and Advent 1 speakers....

I keep on looking for the "sleeper deal" out there but am happy with what I have now. No CD players but I do steam on both through the Aux input.....
johnnotkathi

Postby johnnotkathi » Fri May 14, 2021 3:10 pm

lewdd wrote:I just upgraded everything in the last year during covid from the semi upgrade I did about 3-4 years ago.

I have a JVC receiver that is about 25 years old and an Onkyo integrated amp that is about 3-4 years old that are in my storage room right now that I need to list somewhere to sell. There are also about 5 sets of speakers and 3 subwoofers that need to be sold too. And other peripherals like CD players, turntable, outdated streaming device, etc. That doesn't include the 2nd stereo setup I have in my office to rip vinyl.

I have all Cambridge Audio now - integrated amp, streamer, and CD transport to go with my Technics turntable. I am hoping I am done buying stereo equipment for the rest of my life.

When I am not listening in my music room, I am listening thru my computer run thru a Cambridge Audio DAC thru a cheap set of Edifier powered speakers. Or, I will stream from my tablet to a set of powered Klipsch speakers in my TV room. Debating whether to keep the Bluesound Node 2i setup in that room. I would sell it if I could find a buyer, but apparently no one on here has any interest in it.

I have too much equipment lying around that I need to sell, donate, or dispose of before the end of this year.

I love Cambridge stuff....it does sound like you are set for life!!
johnnotkathi

Postby johnnotkathi » Fri May 14, 2021 3:14 pm

JGJR wrote:I constantly tweak my setup and I couldn't be happier with some recent upgrades. Before I start, I just wanted to thank patient_ot for all of his help and guidance in this process over the past 8 months or so. What a wonderful human he is. I'm sure he'll chime in here at some point.

Turntable: Technics 1210 MK2 either from 1990 or 2000 (can't tell which even given the SKU # but it's likely one of those)
From 2016 until a few weeks ago, I was using a Pro-Ject 1.2 that's now in a box. Obviously, it's a massive sonic upgrade, but it's not so much that everything sounds better, though some things do, but that I can just hear pressing quality, etc. better. Plus, it's nice that unlike the Pro-Ject (and other similar brands like Music Hall, etc.), I don't have to lift the platter and adjust the belt slightly (easy to do but annoying to have to do every time you want to play something at 45 rpm) as the button is right there. It looks great, has a little light on it to help with cueing, etc. I just love it.

As for the Pro-Ject, I live in an apartment in NYC, so if we ever have space, I want to put it in a different room as it still works well and I just replaced the needle on it last year.

Pre-amp: since neither of the turntables I use has a built-in pre-amp, I was using a shitty Memorex one that I got with the Pro-Ject when I bought it used. The guy also gave me a bunch of records, too, but I digress.

When I got the Technics last year, it came with this thing. I first replaced the Memorex with it to pair with the Pro-Ject because the Memorex pre-amp was (as I figured out later) making stuff go through only one of my speakers on occasion (I thought it was the speakers themselves or the connection, but thankfully that isn't the case) at some point last year and with the new needle, it was a complete revelation. https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Phono-Turnt ... 7158478798

For the price point, it's astonishing. I'd eventually like to get a nicer pre-amp, but that thing punches WAY above its weight. Read some of the reviews on there or this article.

CD player: I got a Sony DVD player recently and have been using it to just play CDs. It's one of those that can play cd-r, cd-rws, mp3 discs, Dualdiscs, even HDCD and maybe SACD compatible, too; basically, whatever you want, it'll play it; the way it should be IMO. It sounds great and I feel like I can finally really hear pressing differences, et al.

Before that, I was using an also absolutely great sounding but problematic Onkyo CD player from the late '80s that I also got used back in 2017. It works great except that the tray is currently stuck. I actually have a disc in there now and want to bring it in for repair. I might try it myself, too, as I saw an instructional video on YouTube and the issue is likely a worn-out belt. It seems much easier to pay a guy I know in Philly 25 bucks to do it in 5 minutes and know it'll likely last a few more years (vintage CD players always come with problems in my experience, especially multiple disc changers) and again, it's not in use at the moment. I eventually want to put it in another room along with that Pro-Ject.

Cassettes - don't have a way to play those now except for an old analog tape recorder I used to use for interviews, but I've used it as a Walkman since I still have about a dozen cassettes and would love to collect them again. Not my favorite format, but lots of rare stuff, demos, etc. are still released in that format. I hope to get a JVC dual-deck (used to have one) or something similar soon.

Man, nice set up and an awesome TT!! I was looking at a Pioneer cassette deck today....really nice one but had to pull back.....since I don't have any cassettes..... :roll:
johnnotkathi

Postby version sound » Fri May 14, 2021 5:08 pm

Cambridge Audio Azur 540A with matching phono pre-amp
Goldring GR1.2 turntable (basically a rebadged budget Rega Planar)
Oppo DV-980H DVD/SACD player
TDK DA-3826 CD recorder
DCM party boy speakers

The speakers are decent, but certainly the weak link. They are a coupe of decades old and definitely more about pumping the bass than an audiophile experience. They are by no means bad, but I’m sure my system would sound better with something a little more refined.

The Oppo and the amp were both free (one came from a friend, and the other from a benevolent stranger who was moving out of my building). The amp needs work. It has a habit of cutting out in one channel that is apparently a thing with these amps. If you switch to a different input and back it usually fixes it. Supposedly it’s a problem with the relays. I’ve bought replacements but haven’t gotten around to installing them.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Sat May 15, 2021 8:19 am

johnnotkathi wrote:
JGJR wrote:I constantly tweak my setup and I couldn't be happier with some recent upgrades. Before I start, I just wanted to thank patient_ot for all of his help and guidance in this process over the past 8 months or so. What a wonderful human he is. I'm sure he'll chime in here at some point.

Man, nice set up and an awesome TT!! I was looking at a Pioneer cassette deck today....really nice one but had to pull back.....since I don't have any cassettes..... :roll:

Thanks, John! I could use something like that myself (the Pioneer deck) and I do have about a dozen tapes at the moment, as I said above. I also forgot to mention above that I've been using the same receiver since 2003 and it's a Yamaha that's designed more for home theater/surround sound purposes. It works great, though, and replaced a vintage one that wasn't working well (what patient ot said about that is correct IMO), speakers going in and out, that kind of thing. And speaking of which (see what I did there?), I've been using the same Pinnacle bookshelf speakers since 2001 and they are awesome. To the best of my knowledge, the company no longer exists and they were made at some point in the '90s, but I think you may be able to find them used.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby johnnotkathi » Sun May 16, 2021 9:17 am

JGJR wrote:
johnnotkathi wrote:

Thanks, John! I could use something like that myself (the Pioneer deck) and I do have about a dozen tapes at the moment, as I said above. I also forgot to mention above that I've been using the same receiver since 2003 and it's a Yamaha that's designed more for home theater/surround sound purposes. It works great, though, and replaced a vintage one that wasn't working well (what patient ot said about that is correct IMO), speakers going in and out, that kind of thing. And speaking of which (see what I did there?), I've been using the same Pinnacle bookshelf speakers since 2001 and they are awesome. To the best of my knowledge, the company no longer exists and they were made at some point in the '90s, but I think you may be able to find them used.

Up until recently, I have always had Yamaha receivers....big fan. Then this whole "recreate what you had in the 70's" thing hit me and I have been searching out really old/cool gear since. hence, the old Pioneer and Sherwood stuff...
johnnotkathi

Postby patient_ot » Sun May 16, 2021 10:26 pm

Vintage gear is very popular these days. That's fine if you've got gear worth keeping up and running and can find the parts for it. A good local tech is a must if you get out of your depth also.

I've pretty much moved away from vintage gear in the last couple of years. I don't have space for a workbench, haven't soldered in 20+ years, and don't have the patience for stuff breaking down regularly. No good techs near me either.

I ran a couple of vintage DD turntables for awhile but they are sitting unused right now. I'll probably be trading them into a local record shop that deals with used gear when they are ready to start taking stuff again.

The only old gear I'm still using is a tape deck from the late 90s. My last 80s CDP was given away to a friend, and an older tape deck I had became un-repairable.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Mon May 17, 2021 5:43 am

I still have a Sony single deck and another double deck that I don't think are from the 80s, but it is possible. I think they are probably from the 90s.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Mon May 17, 2021 12:19 pm

lewdd wrote:I still have a Sony single deck and another double deck that I don't think are from the 80s, but it is possible. I think they are probably from the 90s.

Go to hifiengine.com and search for the model numbers. That site has a ton of manuals and stuff from old gear, and would probably let you know when those decks were actually made.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Mon May 17, 2021 1:19 pm

Sony TC-WE305 1996
JVC TD-R441 not listed but looks like between 1989-1994 based on the model before and model after it
lewdd

Postby Knutsen » Sun May 23, 2021 5:17 am

Pioneer integrated amplifier
Sony DVD player also used for CDs
Sony clone of the classic Technics record player,
all from around 1999
Active Nubert speakers from 2010, I think.

It is enough to make badly recorded punk records sound exactly like badly recorded punk records.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby version sound » Sun May 23, 2021 11:23 am

Knutsen wrote:It is enough to make badly recorded punk records sound exactly like badly recorded punk records.

Sometimes good enough is good enough. I like the idea of audiophile gear, but I don’t have the $$$ to really pursue it. Besides, I’ve experienced a high-end system in a room that was specifically designed for it, and it really didn’t do that much for me. Growing up on “badly recorded punk records” probably affected my perception of what “good sound quality” should be.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sun May 23, 2021 11:56 am

version sound wrote:
Knutsen wrote:It is enough to make badly recorded punk records sound exactly like badly recorded punk records.

Sometimes good enough is good enough. I like the idea of audiophile gear, but I don’t have the $$$ to really pursue it. Besides, I’ve experienced a high-end system in a room that was specifically designed for it, and it really didn’t do that much for me. Growing up on “badly recorded punk records” probably affected my perception of what “good sound quality” should be.

I felt the same way until I spent the money. Most of those badly recorded punk records still sound bad. I do use a Schiit equalizer type device when I listen to most punk records to dial the sound it to how I like it. With rock, blues, and jazz, it isn't necessary.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Sun May 23, 2021 1:04 pm

To be clear, the stuff I listened to in that guy’s dedicated audiophile room was NOT badly recorded punk rock. It was mostly very well recorded ‘70s and ‘80s classic rock. It sounded fine. Most of the stuff I actually listen to through my stereo these days is not hardcore, and the original recordings are mostly pretty decent. I’ll probably upgrade my speakers at some point, but otherwise, I’m fine with what I have. I don’t have a lot of time to spend sitting on the couch doing close listening.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sun May 23, 2021 1:24 pm

I wish I spent more time sitting and listening. I've averaged about 1 hour of vinyl music listening a week for the last five months.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Sun May 23, 2021 1:29 pm

lewdd wrote:I wish I spent more time sitting and listening. I've averaged about 1 hour of vinyl music listening a week for the last five months.

99.9% of my music listening is from my phone while I work. Once or twice a month, I actually get the chance to listen to something on the stereo.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Mon May 24, 2021 1:58 pm

version sound wrote:99.9% of my music listening is from my phone while I work.

Once I acknowledged that I listen to most of my music on a phone, purchasing an external DAC became a no-brainer.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Mon May 24, 2021 6:08 pm

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:99.9% of my music listening is from my phone while I work.

Once I acknowledged that I listen to most of my music on a phone, purchasing an external DAC became a no-brainer.

I’ve considered it, but I’m pretty much streaming, and not at the greatest bit rates, so I’m not sure it would make a huge difference. The music is really just background, I mean, I’m listening, but I’m definitely not focused on it. What DAC are you using?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Mon May 24, 2021 6:19 pm

version sound wrote:I’ve considered it, but I’m pretty much streaming, and not at the greatest bit rates, so I’m not sure it would make a huge difference. The music is really just background, I mean, I’m listening, but I’m definitely not focused on it. What DAC are you using?

I bought the Dragonfly Cobalt, which is their top of the line model. I'm streaming Amazon HD most of the time. It sounds incredible, but I'm listening with headphones while walking around. I have never been able to have music on in the background while I'm doing something else. I can't concentrate on the music or whatever I'm supposed to be doing
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Knutsen » Sat May 29, 2021 2:30 am

lewdd wrote:
version sound wrote:

I felt the same way until I spent the money. Most of those badly recorded punk records still sound bad. I do use a Schiit equalizer type device when I listen to most punk records to dial the sound it to how I like it. With rock, blues, and jazz, it isn't necessary.

What meant was that the good Nubert speakers make a difference. Before those I had some cheap speakers and punkrock blasted with a full cheap midrange boost. Classic.
With good speakers Blue Notes records and modern recordings like Baroness suddenly had the full low end and crisp defined trebles, and the bad recorded punkrock records were truly reproduced showing the true recording quality in high fidelity. :lol:
Knutsen

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:15 pm

If you have a spare hour of time, you should check this out.

https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings.com ... -gotta-be/
lewdd

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:03 am

Last month I legally changed my middle name to "Vintage" because being Vintage is so important to me.

I recently had a "Bring Over Your Finest Meats & Cheeses and Listen to 80's Punx" party and here is a photo of me with my current record player set up:

FlexMyHead

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:50 am

where are the hummels?
lewdd

Postby Knutsen » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:51 am

Looks like a time to spin those super rare prehistoric Minor Threat shellac 78s again.
Knutsen

Postby Hal » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:00 am

FlexMyHead wrote:Last month I legally changed my middle name to "Vintage" because being Vintage is so important to me.

I recently had a "Bring Over Your Finest Meats & Cheeses and Listen to 80's Punx" party and here is a photo of me with my current record player set up:

:lol: We've missed you Flex!
Hal

Return to daghouse