Iced Coffee Revisited

Iced Coffee Revisited

Postby version sound » Thu May 13, 2021 1:22 pm

I’m really talking about cold brew. I just got a new carafe after my wife broke my previous one a couple of years ago. I’m drinking it with ice and a little sweet cream, and it’s a goddamn delight.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Iced Coffee Revisited

Postby scannest » Thu May 13, 2021 1:30 pm

I'm lazy. I just make a pot of hot coffee and put 2/3 in the fridge to enjoy cold over the next couple days. I know it could be better, but...
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Thu May 13, 2021 2:04 pm

I am not a coffee drinker but do enjoy it sometimes in my Stouts or Porters.
lewdd

Postby FormerLurker » Thu May 13, 2021 2:04 pm

I had to give up coffee. I don't really miss it.
FormerLurker

Postby Hal » Thu May 13, 2021 2:15 pm

Drinking black coffee, black coffee, drinking black coffee, staring at the wall.

After doing a round of the Whole 30 diet a few years back, I only take my coffee black. And I love it. Hot or cold. Multiple times a day. I've tried a few of the "cold brew" brands on the market and have found they make me a bit too tweaked with their excessive caffeine content.
Hal

Postby SamDBL » Thu May 13, 2021 2:17 pm

I cold brew obsessively. Love it.
SamDBL

Postby pedro » Thu May 13, 2021 4:49 pm

I had my last cup of coffee at the Denny's on Route 114 in Danvers, MA in about 1985. I hate the stuff.
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Fri May 14, 2021 11:08 am

SamDBL wrote:I cold brew obsessively. Love it.

Preach. I'm a coffee freak, so during the colder months (late fall/winter/early spring), I make a pour-over using Stumptown's Hair Bender (or sometimes something similar like Intelligensia or something else). I've got a burr grinder and a Hario V60 cone and it's so simple and does the trick! The only (very minor) downside, of course, is those filtered coffee bags, but fortunately, they're compostable.

During the warmer months, I buy bean-bag bundles from a company based here in the Bronx called Grady's Cold Brew. It's the closest to New Orleans-style chicory coffee in cold brew form that I've ever tasted outside of a cafe setting. After that, I just put 4 of the bags in a jar full of cold water and let them soak overnight.

I've also started to make Dalgona coffee with the cold brew in recent weeks and I'm hooked. I have to limit that to one a day at the very most or it's just far too much sugar for me. I never put any sweetener in my coffee otherwise and I only put a tiny bit of half and a half and sometimes almond and/or oat milk in my coffee.

I'm happy to share recipes, tips, etc. I'm so glad VS started this thread.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby the mean » Fri May 14, 2021 1:22 pm

I usually don't switch over to iced until it's about 90 degrees out. I also don't really like caffeine, so I do decaf.
the mean

Postby version sound » Fri May 14, 2021 4:46 pm

the mean wrote:I usually don't switch over to iced until it's about 90 degrees out. I also don't really like caffeine, so I do decaf.

I also do decaf. My resting heart rate is higher than it should be already, I don’t need the caffeine to kick it up even higher. I drink coffee because I like the taste, not for the caffeine, so it makes no difference to me.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Return to daghouse