UPCOMING SHOWS!

UPCOMING SHOWS!

Postby scannest » Thu May 13, 2021 11:47 am

C'mon guys, let's get this going again! I'm excited. I'm sure many of you are too:

I GET WILD (Talking Heads cover band) @ Littlefield 5/21
CHRIS BROKAW @ The Cradle 6/12
HOODOO GURUS @ Webster Hall 10/1
MONKEES @ Town Hall 10/14
DINOSAUR JR @ Brooklyn Steel 11/20
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Re: UPCOMING SHOWS!

Postby lewdd » Thu May 13, 2021 12:08 pm

Nothing right now. I may go to the Lancaster Roots & Blues Festival in October.

It sure was nice going to see live music while I was in MS in mid April.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Thu May 13, 2021 12:50 pm

DINOSAUR JR 11/18 in Philly
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Hal » Thu May 13, 2021 2:06 pm

AGENT ORANGE 10/12 @Cafe Nine, New Haven
Hal

Postby matt » Thu May 13, 2021 2:15 pm

Going to see Lucero at Red Rocks this Sunday. Stoked to see my friends, but I don't really care about the show. At this point, I have no idea which of the tickets I bought pre-lockdown are still being rescheduled or if they've been refunded. I was super excited to see Andrew Bird/Calexico/Iron&Wine/Neko Case at Red Rocks, but now that Calexico has dropped off the rescheduled 2022(!!!) bill, I may sell the tickets. I want to hear Neko at Red Rocks, but not for a half hour set.
matt
Site Admin

Postby kevin » Thu May 13, 2021 2:43 pm

Still a bit cautious about attending an indoor event. I am fully vaccinate; however, I am a COVID survivor after getting it this past January that ended up in the hospital for a few days. Consider myself lucky and not wanting to take too many risks. There are going to be Fort Reno shows this summer and I'm down for that. outdoors where we can keep our distance.

I'd totally love to see Neko Case at Red Rocks. An outdoor amphitheater would be a great place during these times. Next year, Circle Jerks are still scheduled to play DC. I'm hoping by then things have been proven safe. Would love to see them again.
kevin

Postby Hal » Thu May 13, 2021 2:58 pm

kevin wrote:Next year, Circle Jerks are still scheduled to play DC. I'm hoping by then things have been proven safe. Would love to see them again.

Still holding my tickets. See you next April.
Hal

Postby gregpolard » Thu May 13, 2021 3:54 pm

kevin wrote:Still a bit cautious about attending an indoor event. I am fully vaccinate; however, I am a COVID survivor after getting it this past January that ended up in the hospital for a few days. Consider myself lucky and not wanting to take too many risks. There are going to be Fort Reno shows this summer and I'm down for that. outdoors where we can keep our distance.

I'd totally love to see Neko Case at Red Rocks. An outdoor amphitheater would be a great place during these times. Next year, Circle Jerks are still scheduled to play DC. I'm hoping by then things have been proven safe. Would love to see them again.

Damn sorry to hear about getting Covid and being in the hospital. Glad you're ok. I'm cautiously optimistic as well but the idea of an indoor event still feels weird to me, but i'm hoping by November we're in a much different place.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby earthdog70 » Thu May 13, 2021 5:13 pm

I won't list the 2022 ones for now :D

5/15-Chris Brokaw + Hilken Mancini-Private show (outdoors)
6/24-Tommy Stinson--Someone's back yard-Mansfield (outdoors)
8/28-Kix-The Vault-New Bedford
9/30-Hoodoo Gurus-Royale-Boston
11/6-Pat Travers Band-Narrows Center for the Arts-Fall River

:arrow:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby drew » Fri May 14, 2021 8:56 am

G. Love & Chuck Treece(on drums) at city WInery last Saturday night. we had a great time.

Black Crowes- Jones Beach 7/17
Dinosaur Jr. - Brooklyn Steel. November sometime.

Going with friends to SNL this Saturday……

Got to start filling the calendar……
drew

Postby JGJR » Fri May 14, 2021 11:22 am

drew wrote:Going with friends to SNL this Saturday……

Please tell Keegan Michael Key that I really liked Friends from College and am still bummed that it got canceled. :lol:

Seriously, we watch every week and will look for you in the audience when they cut to it in the opening monologue if they do that.

As for shows here, dunno yet. Like the rest of you, I'm waiting to see how all of this plays out and I definitely feel safer with outdoor stuff, but if things are safe by the fall (I have my doubts tbh), I'd love to see Dinosaur Jr again. I may go see Wilco & Sleater-Kinney in August, too. It's outside at a venue I love (Forest Hills Stadium and the Philly show is at Mann Center, another great outdoor venue), and if past shows there are any indication, lots of space to move around, etc. It's a huge venue and they frequently have to give away tickets to fill certain shows, etc.

We have tickets for Nate Bargatze (a very funny comedian) and the show was supposed to be held in April 2020, but they've yet to reschedule it. It's at the Capitol Theater in Port Chester.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Fri May 14, 2021 6:54 pm

So, why is SNL on at multiple times on a Saturday evening?
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Sat May 15, 2021 8:42 am

lewdd wrote:So, why is SNL on at multiple times on a Saturday evening?

We just typically watch it on Sundays via Hulu, so no idea.
JGJR

Postby drew » Sat May 15, 2021 11:57 am

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:Going with friends to SNL this Saturday……

Please tell Keegan Michael Key that I really liked Friends from College and am still bummed that it got canceled. :lol:

Seriously, we watch every week and will look for you in the audience when they cut to it in the opening monologue if they do that.

HA! Ill be sure to....
drew

Postby kel » Sat May 15, 2021 6:54 pm

scannest wrote:C'mon guys, let's get this going again! I'm excited. I'm sure many of you are too:

My first reaction was "Whoa, the Hoodoo Gurus are still around? Those guy have been at it forever!"

Then I downshifted and put my hyperbole in check upon seeing the Monkees callout.

matt wrote:Going to see Lucero at Red Rocks this Sunday. Stoked to see my friends, but I don't really care about the show.

Huh. Lucero usually puts on a really honest set. I like those guys, especially with the horns they added a while back. And Red Rocks sounds like a fun place to see them. But then again, I've walked around the venue but never actually seen a show there. (Unless we're counting the U2 video that put it on most folk's map...)
kel

Postby scannest » Mon May 17, 2021 7:34 am

I guess the full, proper name is "THE MONKEES FAREWELL TOUR FEATURING MIKE & MICKEY"

Listen, I'm going because I saw this show in 2019 and thought it was fantastic. Terrific band, great song after great song (I would put their catalog of tunes up against any US band of that era). And while Mike was a little shaky, Mickey sounded terrific.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon May 17, 2021 9:17 am

kel wrote:
scannest wrote:C'mon guys, let's get this going again! I'm excited. I'm sure many of you are too:

My first reaction was "Whoa, the Hoodoo Gurus are still around? Those guy have been at it forever!"

Then I downshifted and put my hyperbole in check upon seeing the Monkees callout.

matt wrote:Going to see Lucero at Red Rocks this Sunday. Stoked to see my friends, but I don't really care about the show.

Huh. Lucero usually puts on a really honest set. I like those guys, especially with the horns they added a while back. And Red Rocks sounds like a fun place to see them. But then again, I've walked around the venue but never actually seen a show there. (Unless we're counting the U2 video that put it on most folk's map...)

Are Lucero really popular enough to fill Red Rocks, even with distancing, et al? If so, good for them! I just didn't see that coming.
JGJR

Postby drew » Mon May 17, 2021 1:22 pm

Lemonheads- 11/23 Irving Plaza

GBV- also Irving in Sept. Haven't pulled the trigger yet....
drew

Postby scannest » Mon May 17, 2021 2:07 pm

drew wrote:Lemonheads- 11/23 Irving Plaza

Wow, that is considerably bigger venue than their last NYC show at Bowery Electric.
scannest

Postby matt » Mon May 17, 2021 3:53 pm

JGJR wrote:Are Lucero really popular enough to fill Red Rocks, even with distancing, et al? If so, good for them! I just didn't see that coming.

Yep. They sold it out. Not sure what the capacity was capped at, but there were plenty of people there. They've played Red Rocks before and they have a huge fanbase out here.
matt
Site Admin

Postby scannest » Tue May 18, 2021 9:25 am

BOB MOULD BAND tour dates!

https://bobmould.com/tour/
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 18, 2021 9:38 am

scannest wrote:BOB MOULD BAND tour dates!

https://bobmould.com/tour/

Got giddy with this announcement! Sept 19 in Philly - I'm in.
gregpolard

Postby Hal » Wed May 19, 2021 8:51 am

Updated!

BOB MOULD BAND 9/16 @Paradise, Boston
CIRCLE JERKS 4/7/22 @Paradise, Boston
CIRCLE JERKS 4/16/22 @Black Cat, DC
Hal

Postby scannest » Wed May 19, 2021 9:18 am

GUIDED BY VOICES @ Irving Plaza 9/10
scannest

Postby drew » Wed May 19, 2021 8:26 pm

scannest wrote:GUIDED BY VOICES @ Irving Plaza 9/10

Thinking about this one.
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed May 19, 2021 8:57 pm

drew wrote:Thinking about this one.

Have you decided which shows you're taking me to that are coming up?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby drew » Wed May 19, 2021 9:33 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Yes. Yes I have.
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed May 19, 2021 9:52 pm

drew wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Yes. Yes I have.

If you say Sonic Youth, I will kick your ass.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Mon May 24, 2021 1:12 pm

Bikini Kill - 7/13/2022 in Philly. Only 14 months away!
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon May 24, 2021 1:53 pm

gregpolard wrote:Bikini Kill - 7/13/2022 in Philly. Only 14 months away!

They just announced Reigning Sound for March 2022...
:roll:
I did secure my Bob Mould Band ticket - Webster Hall 9/17

And it looks like I may be headed to Austin in the fall after all:

https://levitation.fm/
scannest

Postby scannest » Wed May 26, 2021 12:29 pm

I am going to be in the front row for X, LOS LOBOS, and THE BLASTERS at the Orange County Fairgrounds on 8/1!

This is all thanks to Aquaman. My family and I were trying to reschedule a trip to southern California that was canceled due to COVID. When I saw this show posted I figured it was the perfect time to pull the trigger on booking the trip. And he came through not only with tix, but the freakin' first row in front of John Doe.

So, yay me!
scannest

Postby lewdd » Wed May 26, 2021 12:39 pm

Congrats on the trip. Aquaman is a good dude. Have fun! Are you taking Midge with you? Maybe you guys could sneak on stage for a Sleeper/Serpico reunion.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 26, 2021 1:05 pm

scannest wrote:I am going to be in the front row for X, LOS LOBOS, and THE BLASTERS at the Orange County Fairgrounds on 8/1!

This is all thanks to Aquaman. My family and I were trying to reschedule a trip to southern California that was canceled due to COVID. When I saw this show posted I figured it was the perfect time to pull the trigger on booking the trip. And he came through not only with tix, but the freakin' first row in front of John Doe.

So, yay me!

Love it when a plan comes together!
gregpolard

Postby drew » Wed May 26, 2021 7:43 pm

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:I am going to be in the front row for X, LOS LOBOS, and THE BLASTERS at the Orange County Fairgrounds on 8/1!

So, yay me!

Love it when a plan comes together!

Very awesome news. Great excuse for a vacation.
drew

Postby JGJR » Thu May 27, 2021 10:03 am

So, yay me!

Jelly; if you get to talk to John, please say hi. It's been a few years. I hope you do because he is a true mensch and just wonderful human being to talk to, etc.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Fri May 28, 2021 1:06 pm

JGJR wrote:

So, yay me!

Jelly; if you get to talk to John, please say hi. It's been a few years. I hope you do because he is a true mensch and just wonderful human being to talk to, etc.

So at the show, you want him to go up to John Doe and say "you don't know me, but JGJR from the dagboard says hi"?
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Fri May 28, 2021 2:01 pm

gregpolard wrote:So at the show, you want him to go up to John Doe and say "you don't know me, but JGJR from the dagboard says hi"?

Hey, you said it - not me.

I do have a funny John Doe story. He played Vegas with his solo band while I happened to be on vacation. He was also on spinART at the time, so I asked my friends there for a spot on his guest list. I get to this pretty big club and there was almost no one there (maybe 25 in a room that held 300). I tell the bouncer I should be on the spinART guest list. He takes my name and disappears in to the club. He comes back a few minutes later and says "You can go into the dressing room. They know you're here."
Now, I'm confused but I just ignore it. So I'm standing in this empty club when someone says, "Hey, are you Sal? C'mon back on say hi". So now I'm being dragged by the elbow backstage. When I get there John is dressing and this woman says, "John, this is Sal from the label" and he politely says hi and then spends 10 minutes forcefully telling me he's pissed that no one can find his record in stores. I am mortified. I listen intently until he stops and then I try and explain the situation. "Oh...oh...okay. But you can convey my message?" I tell him I would and that was that.
He played a great show. The only X song he played was off of HEY ZEUS.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Fri May 28, 2021 2:10 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:So at the show, you want him to go up to John Doe and say "you don't know me, but JGJR from the dagboard says hi"?

I do have a funny John Doe story. He played Vegas with his solo band while I happened to be on vacation. He was also on spinART at the time, so I asked my friends there for a spot on his guest list. I get to this pretty big club and there was almost no one there (maybe 25 in a room that held 300). I tell the bouncer I should be on the spinART guest list. He takes my name and disappears in to the club. He comes back a few minutes later and says "You can go into the dressing room. They know you're here."
Now, I'm confused but I just ignore it. So I'm standing in this empty club when someone says, "Hey, are you Sal? C'mon back on say hi". So now I'm being dragged by the elbow backstage. When I get there John is dressing and this woman says, "John, this is Sal from the label" and he politely says hi and then spends 10 minutes forcefully telling me he's pissed that no one can find his record in stores. I am mortified. I listen intently until he stops and then I try and explain the situation. "Oh...oh...okay. But you can convey my message?" I tell him I would and that was that.

HAHHA! Now, if only this could happen in August, you could tell him not only will you work on it but that JGJR says what's up.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Sat May 29, 2021 2:42 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

So, yay me!

So at the show, you want him to go up to John Doe and say "you don't know me, but JGJR from the dagboard says hi"?

Well, I thought if he had front row tix and friends/family in the biz, he might get to, but what do I know? I don't care either way; it was just to extol how much I enjoy talking to John!
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat May 29, 2021 2:46 pm

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

HAHHA! Now, if only this could happen in August, you could tell him not only will you work on it but that JGJR says what's up.

Man, that's a funny story. I feel fortunate that I've never dealt with musicians from the standpoint of being a label guy, just as a journalist and fan. My experiences with John and with Trashcan Sinatras (who were also on Spinart) have been wildly different from those of scannest, thankfully. They are generally much nicer to journalists, also a subgroup they're not known for being nice to. I guess I've been fortunate, though.

I also think John would be A LOT calmer about that sort of situation now given my experiences with him in more recent years and his presence on social media, but I can't say for sure; just conjecture.
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Sat May 29, 2021 3:14 pm

I heard from a couple artists that SpinArt regularly forgot to pay royalties to their artists, probably why they are no more :shock:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Sat May 29, 2021 3:30 pm

earthdog70 wrote:I heard from a couple artists that SpinArt regularly forgot to pay royalties to their artists, probably why they are no more :shock:

That would certainly make sense; too bad; they put out a lot of great records; Apples in Stereo, The Dears, TCS, John Doe, etc.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:09 pm

New NYC venue opening in the fall, a 500 capacity club in Bushwick. A number of interesting shows scheduled:

https://dice.fm/search?query=brooklyn%20made
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:14 pm

scannest wrote:New NYC venue opening in the fall, a 500 capacity club in Bushwick. A number of interesting shows scheduled:

https://dice.fm/search?query=brooklyn%20made

And the prices are not awful.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:20 pm

I see that they have built all service fees into their posted prices, which is nice.
I'm looking at Alejandro Escovedo, Surfer Blood (with Tobin Sprout opening), Fucked Up, and Reigning Sound. Maybe GBV on NYE.
scannest

Postby Hal » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:12 am

ALANIS MORISSETTE/GARBAGE/LIZ PHAIR 8/28 @Meadows, Hartford
BOB MOULD BAND 9/16 @Paradise, Boston
CIRCLE JERKS 4/7/22 @Paradise, Boston
CIRCLE JERKS 4/16/22 @Black Cat, DC
Hal

Postby scannest » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:20 am

STEVE GUNN & WILLIAM TYLER @ the Bellhouse, July 22.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:22 am

Earthdog playing air bass guitar on my patio 7/4
lewdd

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:57 am

Their is a local show here that actually made it on to CNN because the promoter was pretty clever and made it $18 with vaccine card and $999 without it and the "news" decided that was important enough to talk about.

I have tickets from Fest '20 that are still valid, however the main reason I got them was to see Samiam play "Astray" in full, but that was a special 20 year anniversary thing and they aren't even playing this year. I think Moving Targets is playing still, so fuck yeah.

I got vaccinated a few months back, but haven't been to a show since all this shit started.
FlexMyHead

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:10 am

FlexMyHead wrote:Their is a local show here that actually made it on to CNN because the promoter was pretty clever and made it $18 with vaccine card and $999 without it and the "news" decided that was important enough to talk about.

I have tickets from Fest '20 that are still valid, however the main reason I got them was to see Samiam play "Astray" in full, but that was a special 20 year anniversary thing and they aren't even playing this year. I think Moving Targets is playing still, so fuck yeah.

I got vaccinated a few months back, but haven't been to a show since all this shit started.

SAMIAM just got added back! That said, now it doesn't say anything about "Astray"
gregpolard

Next

Return to daghouse