Postby lewdd » Wed May 12, 2021 11:59 am

lewdd

Re: 7 Seconds - The Crew Trust Records Reissue Scoop

Postby the mean » Wed May 12, 2021 12:17 pm

Already ordered. Love this album.
the mean

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed May 12, 2021 12:27 pm

Its all about NEW WIND. Deal with it, though I love you all.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Wed May 12, 2021 12:48 pm

the mean wrote:Already ordered. Love this album.

Which color? I got the short printed red one, but I like the red/black look better.
lewdd

Postby the mean » Wed May 12, 2021 1:12 pm

lewdd wrote:

Which color? I got the short printed red one, but I like the red/black look better.

I picked up the one that is red for both the LP and 7".
the mean

Postby Hal » Wed May 12, 2021 1:19 pm

I've already spent too much money on records I already own this week :lol:
Hal

Postby lewdd » Wed May 12, 2021 1:26 pm

Its been a rough few weeks for the savings account with this, Dischord, and the Descendents. And some other shit I bought on Discogs and Amazon. I need to get some more items on Discogs to sell.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 12, 2021 1:49 pm

I grabbed the one that was limited to 500 since I know these go fast.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Neal » Wed May 12, 2021 2:10 pm

i wish they'd just sell the booklets for these releases. and cds. does anyone have the "group sex" reissue? does it have the bonus tracks on the lp or just digitally? that would seem kind of annoying to have them on the lp, as well as only releasing 6 of the "old school" songs.

i've been hoping for a deluxe "new wind" reissue with like "praise" and the "4 bands that could change the world" songs and "inside out/outside in" and stuff like that.
Neal

Postby lewdd » Wed May 12, 2021 2:12 pm

Neal wrote:i wish they'd just sell the booklets for these releases. and cds. does anyone have the "group sex" reissue? does it have the bonus tracks on the lp or just digitally? that would seem kind of annoying to have them on the lp, as well as only releasing 6 of the "old school" songs.

i've been hoping for a deluxe "new wind" reissue with like "praise" and the "4 bands that could change the world" songs and "inside out/outside in" and stuff like that.

Yes, the CJ release has the bonus tracks on the LP. They don't sound very good. They didn't sound good when they were on the internet via link from the Porterhouse reissue CD either.
lewdd

Postby drew » Wed May 12, 2021 2:41 pm

We’ve prob talked about this but I dont “get” this rerelease. Has The Crew ever been OOP? It seems like a very available record for a good price? What the hell do I know?
drew

Postby lewdd » Wed May 12, 2021 2:47 pm

drew wrote:We’ve prob talked about this but I dont “get” this rerelease. Has The Crew ever been OOP? It seems like a very available record for a good price? What the hell do I know?

It has not been available on streaming services which I think is one thing that Trust Records is scheduled to do. Plus it has a single with bonus tracks from those sessions and a nice 20 page booklet. And it colored vinyl. And they have some nice t-shirts too.

Capitalism at it's finest.
lewdd

Postby Gary » Wed May 12, 2021 3:08 pm

Neal wrote:as well as only releasing 6 of the "old school" songs.

Is the 7" definitely from old school?
Gary

Postby lewdd » Thu May 13, 2021 8:42 am

lewdd

Postby lewdd » Thu May 13, 2021 9:15 am

Garage Land has a 4th variant
lewdd

Postby Chris Shary » Thu May 13, 2021 4:30 pm

The band was never very happy with the mix and mastering of the album. Hopefully that issue has been solved. That's a primary reason for this to exist.
Chris Shary

Postby pedro » Thu May 13, 2021 4:40 pm

My instinct is to say "I love this record!"

The reality is I haven't listened to it in 25ish years. I'm good with my copy from 1984 or so.
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Fri May 14, 2021 10:59 am

I have an original, but I would be curious to hear the new mix if folks say it's a revelation, etc. I like this record a lot, but if I'm being honest, I've listened to the early 7"s, Old School, Walk Together Rock Together, and in more recent years New Wind way more over the years. That's because like the band, I've also never been crazy about the mix.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Fri May 14, 2021 6:52 pm

The Crew is the best thing they ever put out on vinyl. End of story.
lewdd

Postby soulforce » Sat May 15, 2021 2:36 am

Are we 100% certain that this will be a remixed version? Also, will the bonus 7" contain songs from the United We Stand session (already released on Old School) or should we expect unreleased songs (outtakes) from the actual The Crew recordings?
soulforce

Postby earthdog70 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:31 am

Black/red split ordered-thanks Lewdd! :mrgreen:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby patient_ot » Sat May 15, 2021 11:09 am

The Trust site doesn't say anything about remixing. For that you'd need multi-tracks, and I'd hope if anyone was going to do that they'd be pretty explicit about what is being done.

That said, depending on how the remastering is done, e.g. compression, EQ, etc. it could sound substantially different from earlier versions.

Looks like Trust is putting digital versions on Bandcamp, though only one track is available for preview RN:

https://trustrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-crew
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Sat May 15, 2021 12:25 pm

It sounds like they just made it louder but the low end seems muddier than flac files I have from a 1993 reissue. Not sure I am going to like this.
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed May 19, 2021 2:08 pm

So if you love it so much, why are you waiting to buy it close to 40 years after its release??
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:50 pm

Arrived today.
lewdd

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:15 pm

Damn, I didn't hear about this so I missed out. Lewdd how are the extras (booklet etc) as compared to the Group Sex? I thought the essays were worth it alone as it was such a wide group of people, awesome photos/flyers and tidbits. I think I might just get the boring black vinyl for the extras if it indeed sounds different.
FlexMyHead

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:53 am

The extras are not a loose book. They are "bound" into the double vinyl sleeve. It is a chronological story of quotes by band members, family, other punk musicians, etc. I read the first few pages and thought it was interesting read. At the end of it, it says to be continued, so I am assuming there is another 7 Seconds release coming that has more of the story. I didn't listen to the record yet. Maybe this weekend when Earthdog is visiting.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:57 am

Mine arrives today. Excited to dig in to the liners - I'm assuming they're going to repress all of the BYO era stuff
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby drew » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:39 am

So this is just the first in a series of reissues? Kinda like Bad Brains? I think I’m done with buying records I already own
drew

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:04 am

drew wrote:So this is just the first in a series of reissues? Kinda like Bad Brains? I think I’m done with buying records I already own

So I believe what Trust Records is doing is trying to handle out of print titles, with a big focus on the BYO catalog (7 Seconds, SNFU) since that stuff is not up streaming or otherwise.

I believe with 7 Seconds they will be doing versions of "Walk Together, Rock Together" and "New Wind" which are both out of print. I think the main thing is they're trying to make sure all of this stuff is properly curated. It's a cool project and (at least to me) seems worth it for the liner notes and packaging alone. The Circle Jerks LP came out so great.
gregpolard

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:10 am

I think the main thing is they're trying to make sure all of this stuff is properly curated. It's a cool project and (at least to me) seems worth it for the liner notes and packaging alone. The Circle Jerks LP came out so great.

I can be a disgusting record collector at times, so I'm all for updating/adding content and re-releasing records for my grubby stubby little fingers to grasp onto. Also, if current pressings allows band members to (finally) get paid, that is a bonus. I 100% agree that the Circle Jerks came out great but....Frontier kept that thing in print, MXV has (and I'm not kidding) at least 30 color varients (he got them for free based on his friendship/involvement/support of the label) as about each year they would print out a new batch. I had assumed that Lisa was paying/keeping in touch with the band. I know that they also had their 40th Anniversary thing planned at that time but I think COVID fucked that up.

I also thought BYO was keeping things in print but I guess not. The 7 Seconds stuff seems to be out there, but as I own most of it, I don't really look for it. I know the SNFU stuff I don't see as much and/or it's priced a bit higher than I think it should be.

Anyway, I think I'm going to grab this record after all!
FlexMyHead

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:16 am

It really seems like it's worth it. And even if it's a record that you can find in a used bin or online, I think it's good for the bands that it's available new for those who want it.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:12 am

For what its worth, the hype sticker says it was remastered from original analog tapes.
lewdd

Postby the mean » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:21 am

FlexMyHead wrote:I also thought BYO was keeping things in print but I guess not. The 7 Seconds stuff seems to be out there, but as I own most of it, I don't really look for it. I know the SNFU stuff I don't see as much and/or it's priced a bit higher than I think it should be.

My understanding is that BYO stuff is still getting pressed by someone else, but using the BYO name/artwork. I've been trying to fill some holes in my SNFU collection and grabbed a new stock copy of the BYO "Fish" from a local shop (I also ordered a couple of the Chase The Glory reissues.)
the mean

Postby drew » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:57 am

Make no mistake, I freaking love buying records. But these seem like stuff that’s pretty available when there are tons of records people want but have to wait forever. I don’t want to still be grabbing HC re-presses in my 60’s……
drew

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:30 am

drew wrote:Make no mistake, I freaking love buying records. But these seem like stuff that’s pretty available when there are tons of records people want but have to wait forever. I don’t want to still be grabbing HC re-presses in my 60’s……

I am planning to sell OG versions of items if I feel the repress sounds better. I don't have room for duplicates anymore without taking over another room in the house.
lewdd

Postby the mean » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:36 am

Yeah, I don't buy color variants or whatever, but I will occasionally pick up a remastered reissue of a record I really like, especially if the original had poor mixing choices (see BL'AST! "It's In My Blood".)
the mean

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:04 pm

I just listened to my new copy. It sounds OK. I still had to use the equalizer to get more vox. It is probably how my system sounds naturally or how my ears are tuned. Seems like 80% of the punk vinyl I spin I have to boost. My integrated amp does not have any tone control knobs.
lewdd

Postby Neal » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:42 pm

the mean wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:I also thought BYO was keeping things in print but I guess not. The 7 Seconds stuff seems to be out there, but as I own most of it, I don't really look for it. I know the SNFU stuff I don't see as much and/or it's priced a bit higher than I think it should be.

My understanding is that BYO stuff is still getting pressed by someone else, but using the BYO name/artwork. I've been trying to fill some holes in my SNFU collection and grabbed a new stock copy of the BYO "Fish" from a local shop (I also ordered a couple of the Chase The Glory reissues.)

i just got the cd reissue of snfu "better than a stick in the eye," supposedly remastered by stephen egerton and...it's exactly the same as the cargo version! like exactly. same db levels. still super quiet and a little muddy. i was really hoping for a decent remix or at least remaster of that album.
Neal

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:41 pm

Neal wrote:i just got the cd reissue of snfu "better than a stick in the eye," supposedly remastered by stephen egerton and...it's exactly the same as the cargo version! like exactly. same db levels. still super quiet and a little muddy. i was really hoping for a decent remix or at least remaster of that album.

Strange. I don't have any version of the album but sounds like something went wrong there. If anything I would expect a modern day remaster of a punk album to be louder and more compressed. Did you scan these with the DR meter?
patient_ot

Postby johnnotkathi » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:00 am

Good site for remastered stuff......pretty expensive though......

https://store.acousticsounds.com/?gclid ... IwQAvD_BwE
johnnotkathi

Return to daghouse