trusty

trusty

Postby neutral knieval » Sun May 09, 2021 12:41 am

semi-local band, always wondered how other folk see/rate them. recently saw someone here mention them, which is very rare.
neutral knieval

Re: trusty

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sun May 09, 2021 6:50 am

I like “Goodbye Dr. Fate.” I haven’t heard any of their other records.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun May 09, 2021 7:59 am

My friend Mike played bass for them on tour. He got me into them. The Dischord record is good, but I've a soft spot in my heart for their 1st CD "The Paul Years"
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Sun May 09, 2021 10:03 am

I always think of them as a Little Rock band and not a DC band because a friend of mine back then (1990-91 lived in Little Rock and would tape local bands for me like them, Displaced Aggression, Hatful Day (pre-Chino Horde and Thumbnail), etc. that came out on File 13 and one of those (even though it came out on a different label) was "White Lies." I think it's on The Paul Years, Midge. I really like that song, but can't say I explored more. I should, though.

https://file-13.com/
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby target » Sun May 09, 2021 6:26 pm

I met these guys when Swiz played in Memphis a long time ago. We were blown away, not just by their energy, but by their ridiculous senses of humor.After the show, we drove to Little Rock spent the night (a drive I later made many times as a reporter for the Little Rock newspaper).

When they moved to DC I was already kind of exiting the "scene" and wasn't really interested in them, or really any new music coming out of DC. My old roommate Colin is on the cover of their album.

When I moved to Arkansas (Fayetteville, not LR), I met a lot of people who knew Trusty,and I learned a little bit about the history of the Little Rock and NW Arkansas music scenes.....if you are interested, Fluke is a great fanzine that has chronicled this. The years I was in NW arkansas were pretty vibrant with lots of shows at JR's lightbulb club, clunk music hall and other places.....
target

Postby neutral knieval » Mon May 10, 2021 3:37 pm

little rock area had some good bands, red 40 and econochrist were there. not a big fan of econochrists later stuff but the first 7" 'it runs deep' is excellent. most of the shows i remember hearing about were at vinos pizza, i hated little rock as a town and didnt trust arkansas cops enough to ever go to any shows there.
neutral knieval

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon May 10, 2021 6:45 pm

Revisited ‘The Paul Years’ today and it brought back good memories of this band. The nostalgia is bittersweet. Way before every punk band was recorded over compressed and ‘in your face. Very late 80’/early 90’s indie sound. A few really gripping songs as well.

I listened to the lyrics to “Sweet an’ Low” again. Moving, depressing song.
2 lines in this I stole for a Serpico song back in the day.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Tue May 11, 2021 10:49 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Revisited ‘The Paul Years’ today and it brought back good memories of this band. The nostalgia is bittersweet. Way before every punk band was recorded over compressed and ‘in your face. Very late 80’/early 90’s indie sound. A few really gripping songs as well.

I listened to the lyrics to “Sweet an’ Low” again. Moving, depressing song.
2 lines in this I stole for a Serpico song back in the day.

This is exactly why my preference is for the '70s, '80s and early '90s stuff, but that would make sense since that's when I was in high school and just discovering all of this stuff, right? But it also just sounds way better to these ears. It's one reason why I prefer super early Green Day (39 Smooth, 1,000 Hours, etc.) like the stuff with Al Sobrante and the Sweet Children tunes over anything they did later. I joke that I'm a way bigger Sweet Children fan than a Green Day fan. When did that Sweet Children set after getting inducted into the RnR HoF, that setlist made me excited compared to the normal one.

In any case, thank you.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue May 11, 2021 11:44 am

Bad Religion brought huge production values and NOFX followed ...and then a million bands with over compression and too standardized 'in your face' / loud mixing. I don't hate it, but it gets to be so sterile sometimes. The more loose and dynamic mixing makes me wanna re-visit a lot of these records these days.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby the mean » Tue May 11, 2021 12:16 pm

This documentary was excellent, and the website also has a good history of Little Rock punk.
http://www.towncraftmovie.com/

We played there with Chino Horde in 93, and I thought it was a pretty cool scene.
the mean

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue May 11, 2021 12:33 pm

I can't remember if it was Little Rock, but I'd seen a band down there called SUBSTANCE in the summer of 1991 and they kicked ass.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby the mean » Tue May 11, 2021 12:36 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I can't remember if it was Little Rock, but I'd seen a band down there called SUBSTANCE in the summer of 1991 and they kicked ass.

http://www.towncraftmovie.com/timeline/ ... ance-forms
the mean

Postby JGJR » Tue May 11, 2021 2:16 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Bad Religion brought huge production values and NOFX followed ...and then a million bands with over compression and too standardized 'in your face' / loud mixing. I don't hate it, but it gets to be so sterile sometimes. The more loose and dynamic mixing makes me wanna re-visit a lot of these records these days.

Correct. It's basically the Westbeach sound. I love Suffer (and its follow-ups No Control and Against the Grain) and love how those records sound and Donnell Cameron is a recording whiz and I love BR and am glad they got successful, but for what they inspired (namely later day NOFX and Pennywise and all the mid '90s and later Epitaph type stuff) I sometimes wish far fewer folks would've heard them lol. Then it would be someone else probably. Sterile is correct.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue May 11, 2021 2:30 pm

http://www.towncraftmovie.com/

It looks like Trusty's demo is getting reissued in August. mean, is this film streaming anywhere or DVD only?
JGJR

Postby the mean » Tue May 11, 2021 2:46 pm

JGJR wrote:http://www.towncraftmovie.com/

It looks like Trusty's demo is getting reissued in August.

August 2009.
http://dcjamrecords.com/release/trusty/

JGJR wrote:mean, is this film streaming anywhere or DVD only?

I definitely streamed this years ago,and I think I remember seeing it pop up on Amazon Prime recently. Not sure if it is still there.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Wed May 12, 2021 8:59 am

the mean wrote:
JGJR wrote:http://www.towncraftmovie.com/

It looks like Trusty's demo is getting reissued in August.

August 2009.
http://dcjamrecords.com/release/trusty/

JGJR wrote:mean, is this film streaming anywhere or DVD only?

I definitely streamed this years ago,and I think I remember seeing it pop up on Amazon Prime recently. Not sure if it is still there.

Oh boy, thanks for the correction. It was on the main page of their (File 13's) website and the film is much more recent, so I thought it was current. Oops. I should've done more research there. They really should update that lol. Thanks for the info. I'll check Prime. They're great for music docs in general.
JGJR

Postby Neal » Wed May 12, 2021 2:15 pm

i really like their pre-dischord stuff, especially the 2 mid period 7"s. i''ll have to give the dischord stuff another try, but it just didn't quite seem like the kind of poppy stuff i like.
Neal

Return to daghouse