DESCENDENTS SCOOP

DESCENDENTS SCOOP

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 04, 2021 7:55 am

https://descendents.store/

FinALLy here!

This "new" song is better than any of these last couple 7"s. Stoked!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: DESCENDENTS SCOOP

Postby lewdd » Tue May 04, 2021 8:16 am

Thanks for costing me $115!
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Tue May 04, 2021 8:20 am

Potentially 3 rerecorded songs and a cover song on that new album. This is probably going to sound like Milo Goes to College with 18 songs played at 45RPM on the limited edition vinyl. Gotta all be short songs like the new one they posted.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Tue May 04, 2021 8:26 am

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... Y_ouEqCq54

Story about origins of the "new" album. I didn't get thru reading it yet.
lewdd

Postby Hal » Tue May 04, 2021 8:54 am

The blue/splatter vinyl is cool, but I'm curious whether Epitaph is going to have other color variants on their site? Hmmm, should I wait to order?
Hal

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 04, 2021 8:56 am

lewdd wrote:Thanks for costing me $115!

$115? How??? LOL
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue May 04, 2021 9:13 am

You guys know if "Glad All Over" is the only cover on here? On 1st glance, I thought "Tired of Being Tired" was a Diodes cover; maybe it is, but retitled. And they re-recorded the 2 tracks from the 1st 7". Wow! I wonder if 9th and Walnut is a Philly reference. There's a Wawa near that intersection LOL.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 04, 2021 9:16 am

JGJR wrote:You guys know if "Glad All Over" is the only cover on here? On 1st glance, I thought "Tired of Being Tired" was a Diodes cover; maybe it is, but retitled. And they re-recorded the 2 tracks from the 1st 7". Wow! I wonder if 9th and Walnut is a Philly reference. There's a Wawa near that intersection LOL.

I'm assuming it's a reference to the garage they practiced in in the early days, hence the cover.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Tue May 04, 2021 9:49 am

Bill talks about this at length on that "Every SST Release" podcast when they had him as a guest.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby FormerLurker » Tue May 04, 2021 9:56 am

Anyhoo, I heard all this in the Blasting Room back in 2003. Scoop, my ass. :ugeek:
FormerLurker

Postby lewdd » Tue May 04, 2021 10:04 am

gregpolard wrote:
lewdd wrote:Thanks for costing me $115!

$115? How??? LOL

Two albums, CD, long sleeve and short sleeve t's
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Tue May 04, 2021 10:41 am

Maybe those two ALL albums will finally see the light of day too. Randy, did you hear them too?
lewdd

Postby Hal » Tue May 04, 2021 11:47 am

Hal wrote:The blue/splatter vinyl is cool, but I'm curious whether Epitaph is going to have other color variants on their site? Hmmm, should I wait to order?

Lots of variants popping up now, especially on the UK site.
Hal

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue May 04, 2021 11:53 am

I discovered them in the early 80's. Thank me.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Tue May 04, 2021 12:04 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I discovered them in the early 80's. Thank me.

Puhleeze, you weren't even the first person to discover them at your Catholic high school. On Staten Island.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Tue May 04, 2021 12:11 pm

Hal wrote:
Hal wrote:The blue/splatter vinyl is cool, but I'm curious whether Epitaph is going to have other color variants on their site? Hmmm, should I wait to order?

Lots of variants popping up now, especially on the UK site.

Something other than the all white version?
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Tue May 04, 2021 12:13 pm

Yep, I see more of them now. I suspect once the 2000 of the limited press one's on the USA site sell out that more variants will pop up on there too. I am not buying all of them this time like I did on the last LP.
lewdd

Postby jaybird » Tue May 04, 2021 12:32 pm

FormerLurker wrote:Anyhoo, I heard all this in the Blasting Room back in 2003. Scoop, my ass. :ugeek:

:lol:
jaybird

Postby jaybird » Tue May 04, 2021 12:34 pm

jaybird

Postby lewdd » Tue May 04, 2021 12:43 pm

Apparently there are 7 variations out there as of now.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 04, 2021 1:00 pm

I got one version, so I'm good.
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue May 04, 2021 1:05 pm

scannest wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:I discovered them in the early 80's. Thank me.

Puhleeze, you weren't even the first person to discover them at your Catholic high school. On Staten Island.

Hmmm.

Weren't you the guy at your Catholic College that was literally afraid to see Sonic Youth in the mid 80's? :?

("Afraid" in the fearful sense of the word.)
xxxMidgexxx

Postby SamDBL » Tue May 04, 2021 1:10 pm

jaybird wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:Anyhoo, I heard all this in the Blasting Room back in 2003. Scoop, my ass. :ugeek:

SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue May 04, 2021 1:15 pm

SamDBL wrote:
jaybird wrote:

DAMN! Shit just got REALZ, yo! :shock:
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Tue May 04, 2021 1:38 pm

I've never pretended to be anything other than the pussy that I am. You're the guy claiming to have discovered the Descendents. Meanwhile your classmates were going to see them at CB's on the GROW UP tour while you were home listening to RATT in your bedroom.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue May 04, 2021 1:54 pm

xxxMidgexxx

Postby SamDBL » Tue May 04, 2021 1:55 pm

scannest wrote:Meanwhile your classmates were going to see them at CB's on the GROW UP tour while you were home listening to RATT in your bedroom.

This was pretty much me. And I’d still put peak-era RATT on at least equal footing with Descendents.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue May 04, 2021 1:57 pm

SamDBL wrote:
scannest wrote:Meanwhile your classmates were going to see them at CB's on the GROW UP tour while you were home listening to RATT in your bedroom.

This was pretty much me. And I’d still put peak-era RATT on at least equal footing with Descendents.

PS: He failed to mention that Aquaman and I drove to City Gardens on the 'Grow Up' tour with Terre from WFMU/WSIA while he sat in his room listening to his Tom Petty records.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby FormerLurker » Tue May 04, 2021 1:59 pm

lewdd wrote:Maybe those two ALL albums will finally see the light of day too. Randy, did you hear them too?

I did hear the full instrumentALL album while I was there. It was some of the best shit they've ever done. I don't know why they've been sitting on it for 18 years.
FormerLurker

Postby Mayor Bloomberg » Tue May 04, 2021 2:11 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:PS: He failed to mention that Aquaman and I drove to City Gardens on the 'Grow Up' tour with Terre from WFMU/WSIA while he sat in his room listening to his Tom Petty records.

I saw RATT at City Garden too! We were at the same show!
Right on the edge,
Of a new dark age,
Back on the edge,

We stand...on the edge of darkness!
Mayor Bloomberg

Postby lewdd » Tue May 04, 2021 2:19 pm

FormerLurker wrote:
lewdd wrote:Maybe those two ALL albums will finally see the light of day too. Randy, did you hear them too?

I did hear the full instrumentALL album while I was there. It was some of the best shit they've ever done. I don't know why they've been sitting on it for 18 years.

Those must have been cool experiences.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Tue May 04, 2021 3:22 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:PS: He failed to mention that Aquaman and I drove to City Gardens on the 'Grow Up' tour with Terre from WFMU/WSIA while he sat in his room listening to his Tom Petty records.

Aquaman confirms that you did tag along with Terre for this show in August, 1985 (6 weeks or so after he first saw them at CBGB's). Luckily you had a friend like TJ to drag you away from your RAVEN records and learn you some good music.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue May 04, 2021 3:26 pm

I recently wrote a lengthy essay about seeing Black Flag on the My War tour. After I finished reading the final draft, I thought “John Lisa could never have written this because he was home listening to Ratt.”
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue May 04, 2021 3:30 pm

scannest wrote:

Aquaman confirms that you did tag along with Terre for this show in August, 1985 (6 weeks or so after he first saw them at CBGB's). Luckily you had a friend like TJ to drag you away from your RAVEN records and learn you some good music.

Tag along..? LMAO. That's funny since I was the one who drove. :lol:

And you have some of it right with exception of the small fact that the CBs show was AFTER the City Gardens show. But then again, you wouldn't know. You were asking Ginny to play your Georgia Satellites albums and being afraid of Sonic Youth :lol:
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Tue May 04, 2021 3:54 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I recently wrote a lengthy essay about seeing Black Flag on the My War tour. After I finished reading the final draft, I thought “John Lisa could never have written this because he was home listening to Ratt.”

Did you end the essay with that last sentence?
lewdd

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue May 04, 2021 5:13 pm

lewdd wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:I recently wrote a lengthy essay about seeing Black Flag on the My War tour. After I finished reading the final draft, I thought “John Lisa could never have written this because he was home listening to Ratt.”

Did you end the essay with that last sentence?

Sadly, no.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Tue May 04, 2021 5:30 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:And you have some of it right with exception of the small fact that the CBs show was AFTER the City Gardens show.

You know, I'll humor you to a point. But that's wrong.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed May 05, 2021 9:47 am

scannest wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:And you have some of it right with exception of the small fact that the CBs show was AFTER the City Gardens show.

You know, I'll humor you to a point. But that's wrong.

We went to see the City Gardens show BEFORE 'Grow Up' came out. Or at least before it hit the stores in NY. Perhaps there were more shows after CG again at CBs, but TJ bought the album after the City Gardens show. I remember him playing a tape of it in my car and that was after City Gardens. I asked him why Side 2 was a pop album. I was not able to find the record in the stores and then later TJ brought me back signed versions of the first 2 albums when he stayed with Bill. The wiki bio says the album was recorded in April 85, but doesn't give the release date.

If I was a betting man, I'd say that I discovered them. Sure after TJ, but still.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Wed May 05, 2021 12:27 pm

Okay, so the shows were pre-GROW UP. Doesn't change the fact that he saw them at CB's 6 weeks before the show at City Gardens.

Can we agree this is the end of this particular discussion? No mas, no mas.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Wed May 05, 2021 12:51 pm

I had to buy one of these and would love a print of it to frame an hang on the wall in the music room.

https://bifocalmedia.com/Bifocal_Media/ ... shirt.html
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Wed May 05, 2021 12:53 pm

Oh, and I am being told there are 10 versions of this LP being released as of right now.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Wed May 05, 2021 4:22 pm

scannest wrote:Okay, so the shows were pre-GROW UP. Doesn't change the fact that he saw them at CB's 6 weeks before the show at City Gardens.

Your Roberto Duran reference almost makes up for the Pil comment earlier. :lol:
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Wed May 05, 2021 9:27 pm

JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:Okay, so the shows were pre-GROW UP. Doesn't change the fact that he saw them at CB's 6 weeks before the show at City Gardens.

jaybird

Postby JGJR » Thu May 06, 2021 9:18 am

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Nice! I have that record and actually bought it in Canada about 4 years ago. I drove from Winnipeg to a remote region of Ontario (Nestor Falls, it's part of the Canadian Riviera) playing that and other Canadian classics (the Diodes discography CD) that I picked up in Winnipeg.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Thu May 06, 2021 9:28 am

That must have been quite a ride. I hope you did it during the Summer. How many miles and how long did it take you? Maybe start another thread about it because i never heard you mention this trip before on here and I hate to have you blamed for hijacking another thread again :)
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Thu May 06, 2021 9:42 am

JGJR derail a thread? No way.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu May 06, 2021 9:53 am

lewdd wrote:That must have been quite a ride. I hope you did it during the Summer. How many miles and how long did it take you? Maybe start another thread about it because i never heard you mention this trip before on here and I hate to have you blamed for hijacking another thread again :)

I'll respond to this via DM. How about those 'dents? :lol:
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu May 06, 2021 9:59 am

The one tune they've put online is a reminder that these were written by a bunch of teenagers in their first band. I'll buy and listen for historical purposes, but I'm not expecting to be blown away.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu May 06, 2021 10:08 am

scannest wrote:The one tune they've put online is a reminder that these were written by a bunch of teenagers in their first band. I'll buy and listen for historical purposes, but I'm not expecting to be blown away.

I haven't listened yet and normally I'm more reserved about these kinds of things (re-recordings of older material), but in this case, I'm actually quite excited about the prospect of 2021 'dents re-recording "Ride the Wild" and "(It's a) Hectic World," for example.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Thu May 06, 2021 10:34 am

scannest wrote:The one tune they've put online is a reminder that these were written by a bunch of teenagers in their first band. I'll buy and listen for historical purposes, but I'm not expecting to be blown away.

I think its going to take me back to when I first heard Milo Goes to College and I expect this record to be great or Bill would not have made it public. It is a bit of a challenge wanting it to be like Milo Goes to College because Milo's voice is certainly different to my ears on the more recent recordings including this one song than it was back then. So, in that sense, it sounds like current Descendents.
lewdd

Next

Return to daghouse