April 2021 Trip South

April 2021 Trip South

Postby lewdd » Sun May 02, 2021 12:06 pm

I finally made it back home after a long three week trip (that included two weeks of work). Did you miss me, Midge?

Roanoke, VA
Deschutes Brewery
Three Notch'd Brewing Company

Knoxville, TN
Sweet P's BBQ
Woodruff Brewing Co
Blackhorse Brewery

Clarksdale, MS
Stone Pony Pizza
Atzimba Mexican Restaurant
Juke Joint Festival
Hooker Grocer & Eatery
Ground Zero Blues Club
Bluesberry Cafe
Cathead Delta Blues & Folk Art Etc
Bad Apple Blues Club
Abe's BBQ

Memphis, TN
Crosstown Brewing Co
Central BBQ
Wiseacre Brewing Co
Flying Saucer Draught Emporium
Memphis Brooks Museum of Art
Dixon Gallery
Huey's
Goner Records
Memphis Made Brewing Company
High Cotton Brewing Co
Blues City Cafe
Stax Museum of American Soul Music
Hattie B's Hot Chicken
Southern Folklore

Brownsville, TN
West Tennessee Delta Heritage Center including Tina Turner Musuem, Flagg Grove School, and Home of Sleepy John Estes (exterior only)

Jackson, TN
Casey Jones Home (exterior only)
The Carnegie Center for Arts and History (exterior only)
International Rock-A-Billy Hall of Fame (exterior only)

Nashville, TN
Rock Bottom Brewery
Printers Alley
Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville
Jefferson St Music District
Music Row
Hattie B's Hot Chicken
Third Man Records
Ryman Auditorium
Jack's Bar-B-Que
Sun Diner
Johnny Cash Museum
Walk of Fame Park
Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum
Hard Rock Cafe
Tailgate Brewery
Skulls Rainbow Room and Restaurant

Johnson City, TN
Johnson City Brewing Company
Little Animals Brewery
Yee-Haw Brewing Co
White Duck Taco Shop

Winchester, VA
Winchester Brew Works
Alesatian Brewing Company
Roma Woodfired Pizzeria
lewdd

Re: April 2021 Trip South

Postby JGJR » Sun May 02, 2021 1:17 pm

How were Goner and Third Man? Any other highlights?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Sun May 02, 2021 1:29 pm

I had been to Goner once or twice before. It is a decent store with about 8 bins of punk records. Most of it new with very little used. Every genre except rock had about 3-6 or so bins. I only bought two records.

Third Man was kinda small and more of a novelty store than a record store. They do have a broken original Robert Johnson 78 that is framed which I thought was really cool. I bought Electric Mud, a Charley Patton album, and "Rocket 88" Chess reissue single and a 45 adapter.

Saw Kingfish play live finally and Rev Peyton for the 4th time. Great to see and hear live music again. Took about 3200 pics. Thanks god for great phone cameras and not having to develop film.

15 breweries with at least one flight of 3-4 samples at each. Brought how about 5 cases of beer and have a full fridge in the garage now.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Sun May 02, 2021 1:58 pm

lewdd wrote:15 breweries with at least one flight of 3-4 samples at each. Brought how about 5 cases of beer and have a full fridge in the garage now.

If you need some help clearing those out of your garage, I'm just 2 hours due east of you down I-80, essentially. :lol:

Thanks for the feedback on Goner and Third Man; they both sound cool, but like I could probably skip both once I visit Memphis and Nashville. My strong preference is for places with lots of used indie/punk type stuff and not too pricey.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Sun May 02, 2021 2:18 pm

Shangrai La in Memphis has a ton of used, but they were open by appointment only. LMK when you plan to visit either of those cities. I did a ton of research on things to see music and art related in addition to breweries.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Mon May 03, 2021 7:52 am

JGJR wrote:Thanks for the feedback on Goner and Third Man; they both sound cool, but like I could probably skip both once I visit Memphis and Nashville. My strong preference is for places with lots of used indie/punk type stuff and not too pricey.

The Detroit Third Man store is pretty much the same as described up thread. Lots of random stuff, and not that many records. No used records at all, it's not a traditional record shop in that sense. They have Third Man label releases and a small selection of stuff pressed at the Third Man plant. Other than that it's a bunch of stuff I have no interest in...clothes, trinkets, TMR themed turntables, figurines, and so on. Pre-Covid they had a stage where they would put on shows occasionally. That was probably the best thing about the store.
patient_ot

Return to daghouse