Favorite Rap Albums

Favorite Rap Albums

Postby target » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:25 pm

Here’s a top ten off the top of my head. Not the greatest or “most important ,” just ones that I like. If you hate rap that’s fine- I respect differences in taste. But post those responses in another thread please— don’t yuck my yum

1. Tribe Called Quest- low end theory
2. Ultramagnetic MCs- Funk your head up
3. Pete Rock and CL Smooth—Mecca and the Soul Brother
4. Gang Starr- daily operation
5. Nas - illmatic
6. Madlib-madvillainy
7. Pete Rock- soul survivor
8. Mr Lif - I phantom
9. De la Soul - de la soul is dead
10. Eric B and Rakim- let the rhythm hit em
target

Re: Favorite Rap Albums

Postby jaybird » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 pm

Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys
Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A.
As Nasty as They Wanna Be - 2 Live Crew
It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - Public Enemy

I think that's about it as far as rap/hip hop albums I actually own and/or am passingly familiar with... my (admittedly casual) interest in hip-hop pretty much dried up around 1989... I legit LOVE Paul's Boutique though, and still listen to it pretty regularly.
jaybird

Postby target » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:57 pm

PE’s yo bum rush the show shoulda been on my list— thanks for the reminder Jaybird!
target

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:16 pm

The Chronic - Dr. Dre
Snoop - Doggystyle
Beastie Boys - Paul’s Boutique
Ghostface Killa- Fishscale
Geto Boys - The Def American album
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
A bunch more I can’t think of off the top of my head.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:31 pm

Dr. Octagon - S/T
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Nas - Illmatic
Wu Tang - 36 Chambers
Public Enemy - Nation of Millions
De La Soul - Stakes is High
Fugees - The Score
Dilla - Donuts
Kool G Rap ‎– 4, 5, 6
Digable Planets - Blowout Comb
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Neal » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:59 pm

probably the ones i listen to the most:

beastie boys - paul's boutique
black sheep - a wolf in sheep's clothing
de la soul - is dead
devin the dude - the dude
fu-schnickens - f.u. don't take it personal
the goats - tricks of the shade
nappy roots - watermelon, chicken & gritz
the pharcyde - bizarre ride
souls of mischief - 93 'til infinity
whodini - escape
Neal

Postby dude munhoz » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:13 am

Wugazi
dude munhoz

Postby SamDBL » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:24 am

Which one is WAP on? That one.
SamDBL

Postby patient_ot » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:35 am

Rather than pick favorites, I'll just list some albums that are top of mind at the moment. Don't listen to hip hop as often as I used to, but still play it on occasion.

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
Above the Law - Uncle Sam's Curse
Pharcyde - Labcabincalifornia
O.C. - Word...Life
Heltah Skeltah - Nocturnal
Roots - Illadelph Halflife
Abstract Tribe Unique - Mood Pieces
Bicasso - Livin' Life, Lookin' Out
Freestyle Fellowship - Inner City Griots
Scarface - The Diary
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:44 am

Here are my all-time favorite hip-hop albums; I know this is a total white suburban dad hip-hop list, but I embrace it:
1) Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (legit wore this out in 1990; 1st rap album I ever loved; still think it's oen of the best albums ever)
2) Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (by far my favorite Beasties of their rap albums, but in recent years I've also gone to In Sound from the Way Out a lot; I love their instrumental side)
3) A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory/Midnight Marauders (tie) - In my younger days, I preferred the former, but now I'd pick the latter as their best; either way, one of the best to ever do it
4) The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die - this is, like the PE, an album I consider one of my all-time favorites and maybe my 2nd most played rap album ever after the PE
5) NWA - Straight Outta Compton
6) De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
7) The Roots - Phrenology (I like this one so much I bought the VMP reissue; same with the Biggie; so glad I did; my favorite Roots)
8) The Goats - Tricks of the Shade
9) Black Star - s/t
10) Wu Tung Clan - Enter the 36 Chambers
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:45 am

patient_ot wrote:Rather than pick favorites, I'll just list some albums that are top of mind at the moment. Don't listen to hip hop as often as I used to, but still play it on occasion.

I want to revisit that Cannibal Ox. I remember really liking it in 2002 or so; believe it or not, they were a big influence on Elvis Costello's When I Was Cruel, one of his best later-day albums.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:23 am

I only like songs and not albums from this genre. But mostly this style - LL Cool J, Run DMC, Biz Markie, Kool Moe Dee, ?Big Daddy Kane, etc. The stuff they used to play on Yo! MTV Raps
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:21 am

JGJR wrote:
I want to revisit that Cannibal Ox. I remember really liking it in 2002 or so; believe it or not, they were a big influence on Elvis Costello's When I Was Cruel, one of his best later-day albums.

I never would have guessed that. However, I think musicians often draw inspiration from unlikely sources. The Can Ox album is great. Nothing really like it. They did a follow up 14 years later that I never heard.
patient_ot

Postby Hal » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:21 pm

JGJR wrote:I know this is a total white suburban dad hip-hop list, but I embrace it:

PE – Takes a Nation
BB – Paul’s Boutique
Eric B. & Rakim – Follow the Leader
PE – Yo, Bum Rush the Show
BB – Check Your Head
Ice T – Power
Big Daddy Kane – It’s a BD thing
NWA – Straight Outta Compton
De La Soul – Three Ft. High & Rising
Tribe Called Quest – Low End Theory
Hal

Postby scannest » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:28 pm

Like many of the folks commenting here, I really only listened to rap with any regularity in the mid-to-late '80s, early '90s.
That said, my son (15) is really into hip hop, so I've listened to a few of the records he considers faves. The only newer artist I can say I can consistently love is Frank Ocean, but I've heard great songs by Chance the Rapper, Childish Gambino, Travis Scott, Tyler the Creator, etc.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:01 pm

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I never would have guessed that. However, I think musicians often draw inspiration from unlikely sources. The Can Ox album is great. Nothing really like it. They did a follow up 14 years later that I never heard.

it makes sense when you listen to the amount of distorted/fuzzy bass on some of the tracks that make it sound a little like an underground hip-hop/trip-hop-ish record from the late '90s or early '00s. Here's an example. And yeah, it is kinda unlikely, but it makes sense given how diverse his musical interests are.

JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:05 pm

scannest wrote:Like many of the folks commenting here, I really only listened to rap with any regularity in the mid-to-late '80s, early '90s.
That said, my son (15) is really into hip hop, so I've listened to a few of the records he considers faves. The only newer artist I can say I can consistently love is Frank Ocean, but I've heard great songs by Chance the Rapper, Childish Gambino, Travis Scott, Tyler the Creator, etc.

I forgot to include Killer Mike's absolutely incredible R.A.P. Music on my list because I was mainly thinking of older stuff. It's from 2012 and I think it's better than any of Mike and Jamie's subsequent collaborations as RTJ (Run the Jewels). It's just off-the-chain great in terms of rapping, lyrics, production, etc. Check this out.

JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:32 pm

JGJR wrote:It's just off-the-chain great...

oh?
scannest

Postby jaybird » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:47 pm

I do like these dudes... at least they have the good taste to lift cool samples from old punk tunes... and the little animated punk-band logo jam at 2:40 is neat:

jaybird

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:34 pm

scannest wrote:

oh?

Question?
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:31 pm

JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:

oh?

Question?

Yes, would you describe the new Dino Jr. record as "off-the-chain great"? I mean, regardless of whether or not is. Struck me as an usual turn of phrase you reserve for Killer Mike.
Fwiw, I think it's kinda gross how Run the Jewels get a pass on some seriously misogynistic shit from otherwise woke media.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:13 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:

oh?

Question?

Yes, would you describe the new Dino Jr. record as "off-the-chain great"? I mean, regardless of whether or not is. Struck me as an usual turn of phrase you reserve for Killer Mike.
Fwiw, I think it's kinda gross how Run the Jewels get a pass on some seriously misogynistic shit from otherwise woke media.

What misogynistic shit? I'm not familiar enough with their catalog to really comment.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:43 am

JGJR wrote:What misogynistic shit? I'm not familiar enough with their catalog to really comment.

I've only listened to the second album, but I was surprised at how much of the lyrical content struck me as (potentially) homophobic and misogynistic. For example, it seemed like "suck a dick" (or some variation on that theme) was their go-to insult along with the usual 'bitch' content. I'm not arguing whether or not it is or isn't - I don't care enough to have an opinion - but for an album that was praised by virtually every media outlet I can think of, I was surprise at how little discussion there was about it.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:57 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:What misogynistic shit? I'm not familiar enough with their catalog to really comment.

I've only listened to the second album, but I was surprised at how much of the lyrical content struck me as (potentially) homophobic and misogynistic. For example, it seemed like "suck a dick" (or some variation on that theme) was their go-to insult along with the usual 'bitch' content. I'm not arguing whether or not it is or isn't - I don't care enough to have an opinion - but for an album that was praised by virtually every media outlet I can think of, I was surprise at how little discussion there was about it.

Without commenting on that since I'm not familiar with that particular album (I think I've only heard RTJ3), I can tell you that Mike is not a universally uncontroversial figure both in the world of progressive politics and the world of indie rock-centric critiism/writing. The chief reason why is his view on guns. He's just coming at it from a very different place than many others and while I don't always agree with him, I respect him a lot, having listened to him on various podcasts, watched a few episodes of his Netflix show, etc.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:31 pm

JGJR wrote:
patient_ot wrote:Rather than pick favorites, I'll just list some albums that are top of mind at the moment. Don't listen to hip hop as often as I used to, but still play it on occasion.

Listening to this one right now. I like it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby earthdog70 » Sat May 01, 2021 11:43 am

I don't own a lot of rap but a few favorites from my collection:

Ice-T-OG-"William Morris is my agency/never go broke I got property" :lol:

Basehead-Play With Toys
(Pretty sure I met this DC native at WHFS (RIP) once.

Of course I have a fair amount of Beastie Boys. Was eyeing re-adding "Raising Hell" to my collection. Looks like there was a super fancy vinyl reissue that came out earlier this year. Going for $100 on Discogs so on to the CD :mrgreen:

Target-does "Body Count" count?
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby version sound » Sun May 02, 2021 10:01 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Was eyeing re-adding "Raising Hell" to my collection. Looks like there was a super fancy vinyl reissue that came out earlier this year. Going for $100 on Discogs so on to the CD :mrgreen:

Smash had a copy of the LP the last time I was there. It was only $7, but it was graded a G. I passed.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Mon May 03, 2021 7:31 am

JGJR wrote:I forgot to include Killer Mike's absolutely incredible R.A.P. Music on my list because I was mainly thinking of older stuff. It's from 2012 and I think it's better than any of Mike and Jamie's subsequent collaborations as RTJ (Run the Jewels). It's just off-the-chain great in terms of rapping, lyrics, production, etc. Check this out.

That's a good one, though I've not played it in awhile. The RTJ stuff never grabbed me nearly as much, though I thought some of it wasn't as bad. It's crazy how popular they became in a short time, possibly critics, pr firms, and marketing had something to do with that - since they appear to be much more popular than any project the members did before. Those records are almost a cliche/meme at this point, as anyone jumping on the vinyl trend seems to have one of their records on display.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Mon May 03, 2021 8:40 am

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:I forgot to include Killer Mike's absolutely incredible R.A.P. Music on my list because I was mainly thinking of older stuff. It's from 2012 and I think it's better than any of Mike and Jamie's subsequent collaborations as RTJ (Run the Jewels). It's just off-the-chain great in terms of rapping, lyrics, production, etc. Check this out.

That's a good one, though I've not played it in awhile. The RTJ stuff never grabbed me nearly as much, though I thought some of it wasn't as bad. It's crazy how popular they became in a short time, possibly critics, pr firms, and marketing had something to do with that - since they appear to be much more popular than any project the members did before. Those records are almost a cliche/meme at this point, as anyone jumping on the vinyl trend seems to have one of their records on display.

I agree. I like what I've heard by RTJ, but I like R.A.P. Music much more. That was Mike and Jamie's 1st collaboration and it got some really good reviews at the time. I think Pitchfork gave it an 8.5 or something, so that may have launched their subsequent career. I find Mike much more interesting as a celebrity/personality/TV star/political commentator than I do as a musician at this point, but in 2012 that wasn't the case. Another fun fact: I saw Company Flow's last show. It was, fittingly, a benefit for Ralph Nader at Madison Square Garden in 2000 with some other musical guests (Patti Smith, Ben Harper, and maybe someone else)
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Mon May 03, 2021 12:58 pm

JGJR wrote: Another fun fact: I saw Company Flow's last show. It was, fittingly, a benefit for Ralph Nader at Madison Square Garden in 2000 with some other musical guests (Patti Smith, Ben Harper, and maybe someone else)

That must have been interesting. Company Flow is another one of those groups I haven't listened to in awhile. I've got both albums and the Mr. Len mix CD. Might have to remember to play those when I'm in the mood for rap music again.

What's your take on EL-P's solo albums? I never got into them but knew people that liked them. Wondering if I should give them another chance at some point...
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Mon May 03, 2021 1:33 pm

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote: Another fun fact: I saw Company Flow's last show. It was, fittingly, a benefit for Ralph Nader at Madison Square Garden in 2000 with some other musical guests (Patti Smith, Ben Harper, and maybe someone else)

That must have been interesting. Company Flow is another one of those groups I haven't listened to in awhile. I've got both albums and the Mr. Len mix CD. Might have to remember to play those when I'm in the mood for rap music again.

What's your take on EL-P's solo albums? I never got into them but knew people that liked them. Wondering if I should give them another chance at some point...

I've honestly never listened to Jamie's solo records or to CF aside from that show, but I should check them out. And yeah, very interesting night.
JGJR

Postby Markonomicon » Mon May 03, 2021 9:34 pm

Madvillain 'Madvillainy'
GZA 'Liquid Swords'
Wu-Tang '36 Chambers'
Cannibal Ox 'Cold Vein'
Deltron 3030 'S/T'
Beastie Boys 'Paul's Boutique'
Dr. Octagon 'Dr. Octagonecologyst'
Cypress Hill 'III - Temples Of Boom'
Kool Keith 'Matthew'
Big L 'Lifestylez Of Da Poor & Dangerous'
Danger Doom 'The Mouse & The Mask'
MF DOOM 'Mm..Food'
Gravediggaz 'Six Feet Deep'
Ganksta NIP 'South Park Psycho'
Nas 'Illmatic'
...and pretty much anything with Onry Ozzborn.
Last edited by Markonomicon on Tue May 04, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markonomicon

Postby patient_ot » Tue May 04, 2021 6:28 am

Here's an album I was only recently introduced to. Mainly because a friend of mine is a fan and is also involved in a remix project with one of the producers that did the beats for the album.

From 1999:

https://rubberoom.bandcamp.com/album/architechnology

Also, the production team made a mostly instrumental album that's really good IMHO, this is from 2010.

https://theopus.bandcamp.com/album/praying-mantis-plus
patient_ot

Postby neutral knieval » Tue May 04, 2021 2:59 pm

epmd - strictly business
madvillain - madvillainy
tribe called quest - low end theory
eightball and mjg - comin out hard
rbl posse - lesson to be learned
slick rick - the art of storytelling
kool keith - matthew
skinny pimp and 211 - pimps and robbers
brotha lynch hung - season of da siccness
neutral knieval

Postby neutral knieval » Tue May 04, 2021 3:02 pm

Markonomicon wrote:Kool Keith 'Matthew'

Ganksta NIP 'South Park Psycho'

matthew is great, shit talking at its finest
ive never heard anyone, outside me and my group of dirtbag friends, ever even mention ganksta nip
neutral knieval

Postby BAIN » Tue May 04, 2021 3:25 pm

Gang Starr - Hard to Earn
Digable Planets - Reachin' (A New Refutation of Time and Space)
Boogie Monsters - Riders of the Storm
GZA - Liquid Swords
NAS - Illmatic
Method Man - Tical
Beastie Boys - First 4 Records
Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Deltron 3030
BAIN

Return to daghouse