can we talk about Saturdays Madball/Murphys Law show in NYC

can we talk about Saturdays Madball/Murphys Law show in NYC

Postby BAIN » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:41 am

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/picsvideo ... uare-park/

"For the last year in New York City there were protests - tens and thousands of people in the streets - some rioting and looting engaging in bias attacks - nobody said shit - the media condoned it. On 4/20 thousands filled Washington Square Park sharing blunts and weed pipes no masks - again nobody said shit. This was our fucking protest - this was our rally - people came out from all over the country and enjoyed live music! "

John Joseph
BAIN

Re: can we talk about Saturdays Madball/Murphys Law show in

Postby the mean » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:53 am

I mean, it's 75% of my social media feed, so why not here as well?
the mean

Postby gregpolard » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:59 am

Regardless of where anyone stands on this, we have to all agree the memes are gold.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby BAIN » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:40 am

the mean wrote:I mean, it's 75% of my social media feed, so why not here as well?

shit really??? my bad
BAIN

Postby patient_ot » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:51 am

False equivalency out the wazoo here.

A hardcore show and people protesting cops killing an unarmed black man for no reason are not the same thing. Not even fucking close.

Comparing the show to 4/20 public weed smoking? That shit has always been stupid and does not help the cause of people who say they want legalization.

I'm not near NYC, but I would not have gone even if I was. No desire to see a bunch of washed-up has-beens embarrass themselves.
patient_ot

Postby pedro » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:54 am

patient_ot wrote:...a bunch of washed-up has-beens embarrass themselves.

Hello.
pedro

Postby captain2man » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:56 am

I was there.

AMA. (that's "ask me anything" for people who have never been on Reddit).
captain2man

Postby BAIN » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:09 pm

captain2man wrote:I was there.

Are you vaccinated?
BAIN

Postby scannest » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:43 pm

I have high school friend who lives on Prince Street. Dude is as far from a HC fan as you can get (he used to attend Country Music Fan Fair every year, if that's some indication). Anyway, during COVID he has been spending every nice Saturday afternoon walking up to Tompkins Square Park and chilling out. This week on IG he posted, "Wow, they've got the big stage up today! I haven't seen that in almost a year."
I guess I should check in on him
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:45 pm

Is Jimmy Gestapo wearing a toupee? I thought that dude was bald.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby BAIN » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:49 pm

pedro wrote:

Is that Sir Paul McCartney?
BAIN

Postby captain2man » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:13 pm

BAIN wrote:
captain2man wrote:I was there.

Are you vaccinated?

Yes - I got my second jab a little over three weeks ago.

I never would have gone had it not been for the following:

1. I'm fully vaccinated; and

2. This was entirely outdoors in a large park.....large enough that even with the amount of people who showed up - there was plenty of places to stand along the sides or in the back where you could still be socially distant (which is where I was - I'm not really a "get in the pit" kind of a guy - even in normal times).
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:14 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:Is Jimmy Gestapo wearing a toupee? I thought that dude was bald.

It was a wig which he threw off his head about 10 seconds after he starting singing.
captain2man

Postby captain2man » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:15 pm

BAIN wrote:
pedro wrote:

Is that Sir Paul McCartney?

Yes.
captain2man

Postby version sound » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:53 pm

I agree with pt. ot that the “protest” aspect is laughable, but if it was outside, and there was plenty of space, I don’t see anything wrong with the show itself, other than the washed up has-been part.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:17 pm

version sound wrote:I agree with pt. ot that the “protest” aspect is laughable, but if it was outside, and there was plenty of space, I don’t see anything wrong with the show itself, other than the washed up has-been part.

Yeah but did you see the footage? People by the stage were close together, moshing, diving, etc.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:20 pm

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:I agree with pt. ot that the “protest” aspect is laughable, but if it was outside, and there was plenty of space, I don’t see anything wrong with the show itself, other than the washed up has-been part.

Yeah but did you see the footage? People by the stage were close together, moshing, diving, etc.

Like I said....I was there. The photos painted a fairly ugly picture of irresponsibility.

I can attest that PLENTY of people there were wearing masks and plenty of people were standing off to the side or in the back where there was plenty of space. I obviously didn't talk to every last person who was there (very far from it) - but at least among my friends & acquaintances....almost all of them were either fully vaccinated or had gotten their first shot.
captain2man

Postby matt » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:42 pm

Also, fuck John Joseph.
matt
Site Admin

Postby scannest » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:25 pm

matt wrote:Also, fuck John Joseph.

Gotta love guys going on and on about PMA while spouting borderline racist, libertarian-esque garbage.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:48 pm

scannest wrote:
matt wrote:Also, fuck John Joseph.

Gotta love guys going on and on about PMA while spouting borderline racist, libertarian-esque garbage.

Couldn't agree more.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:52 pm

I was at a music festival a few weeks ago in MS and I would say 25% of the people had masks at the most. I wore one when I had to go inside and then had a sign on the door. Other than that, I went without a mask. I am fully vaccinated.

From what I read above, sounds like others on here don't approve of people going out and having fun without a mask even if they are vaccinated.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:54 pm

captain2man wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Like I said....I was there. The photos painted a fairly ugly picture of irresponsibility.

I can attest that PLENTY of people there were wearing masks and plenty of people were standing off to the side or in the back where there was plenty of space. I obviously didn't talk to every last person who was there (very far from it) - but at least among my friends & acquaintances....almost all of them were either fully vaccinated or had gotten their first shot.

Therein lies the problem. For all the people being responsible off to the back and side, wearing masks, only showing up if vaccinated, you've got a bunch of idiots turning it into a superspreader event.

The other thing with vaccines is they don't fully protect against c-19 variants and mutations. Better than nothing, but not full protection. So expect to be getting another round of vaccine or booster shot next year even if you got both this year.
patient_ot

Postby the mean » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:59 pm

lewdd wrote:I was at a music festival a few weeks ago in MS and I would say 25% of the people had masks at the most. I wore one when I had to go inside and then had a sign on the door. Other than that, I went without a mask. I am fully vaccinated.

From what I read above, sounds like others on here don't approve of people going out and having fun without a mask even if they are vaccinated.

The science is still out on whether you can transmit the virus to others after you are fully vaccinated. So while you may not be at risk, you are possibly putting others at risk.

https://www.health.com/condition/infect ... er-vaccine

I'm guessing that there is a large percentage of that crowd at the Madball show that is anti-vax and won't get vaccinated.
the mean

Postby lewdd » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:09 pm

It will be interesting to see how full restaurants and clubs in Nashville are this week. I will report back after I go out tonight.

Will be curious to see what new guidance comes out from the CDC tomorrow regarding wearing masks outdoors.
lewdd

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:19 pm

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard Madball. I like melody and clever turns of phrase. Which album should I start with?
xxxHunterxxx

Postby the mean » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:21 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I’m not sure I’ve ever heard Madball. I like melody and clever turns of phrase. Which album should I start with?

I think this is their best track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5jlTlUTWfQ
the mean

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:43 pm

Here, have some COVID.

FormerLurker

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:44 pm

Anyway, I've been saying this is the worst genre of punk/rock music of all-time for at least 30 years now.
FormerLurker

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:46 pm

the mean wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:I’m not sure I’ve ever heard Madball. I like melody and clever turns of phrase. Which album should I start with?

I think this is their best track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5jlTlUTWfQ

That’s Scanny’s jam right there.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:08 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:That’s Scanny’s jam right there.

You know it, but I go pretty deep with those guys.
scannest

Postby scannest » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:13 pm

lewdd wrote:From what I read above, sounds like others on here don't approve of people going out and having fun without a mask even if they are vaccinated.

It's about being respectful of others. I'm not going to walk into a restaurant or record store without a mask and announce "It's okay, I'm fully vaccinated."
As long as masks continue to be required or recommend in certain settings, I'm going to wear them in those settings. It's not really all that difficult and it's the right thing to do.
scannest

Postby SamDBL » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:50 pm

patient_ot wrote:False equivalency out the wazoo here.

A hardcore show and people protesting cops killing an unarmed black man for no reason are not the same thing. Not even fucking close.

You're totally right. The former was orders of magnitude safer in terms of COVID spreading, less violent and did a lot less collateral damage to innocent bystanders. I could understand why that'd irk you.
Last edited by SamDBL on Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:01 pm

the mean wrote:The science is still out on whether you can transmit the virus to others after you are fully vaccinated. So while you may not be at risk, you are possibly putting others at risk.

https://www.health.com/condition/infect ... er-vaccine

I'm guessing that there is a large percentage of that crowd at the Madball show that is anti-vax and won't get vaccinated.

A) Odds are, at most, extremely, extremely low as fuck. Does it have to be zero before you're not considered to be 'putting others at risk'?
B) That's their fucking problem. Get vax'd. If you can't for whatever reason, probably best not to go to a fucking show/protest/moshfest. If you won't because you're a tough guy, have fun rolling your own dice. It's not the responsibility of the person that was diligent enough to get vaccinated to continue routing their lives around the irresponsible, imo.

Also, I have never, once referred to Madball, verbally, without pronouncing the name as 'Madbwuall'.
SamDBL

Postby patient_ot » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:57 am

https://nypost.com/2021/04/11/nj-man-in ... accinated/

^There have been several news reports of cases like this. Health care workers are especially vulnerable, because they are exposed to more people with the virus, which also means more variants/mutations.

Recently a prominent audio gear manufacturer CEO got C-19, for the second time. Many people erroneously think if you have it once, you can't get it again. They don't understand the concept of virus mutation.

I'm not saying don't get vaccinated. I will be getting my second dose this week. Just don't go thinking a vaccine makes you Superman, and that you are not at potential risk for catching a mutation of the virus.
patient_ot

Postby SamDBL » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:47 am

patient_ot wrote:https://nypost.com/2021/04/11/nj-man-in-hospital-with-covid-after-being-fully-vaccinated/

^There have been several news reports of cases like this. Health care workers are especially vulnerable, because they are exposed to more people with the virus, which also means more variants/mutations.

Recently a prominent audio gear manufacturer CEO got C-19, for the second time. Many people erroneously think if you have it once, you can't get it again. They don't understand the concept of virus mutation.

I'm not saying don't get vaccinated. I will be getting my second dose this week. Just don't go thinking a vaccine makes you Superman, and that you are not at potential risk for catching a mutation of the virus.

Meh. ‘Several reports’, which is not much better than anecdotal evidence, out of hundreds of millions of vaccinations is not what I’d call high odds. The odds ore fucking low. I really feel like that at this point in time, there is a stigma of virtue, be it implication that you are a trump supporter or that you are a crazy conspiracist if you don’t wear one, linked to mask wearing that’s been attached to this whole ordeal that is accounting for this social need to hang on to the ritual. The scientific proof for the efficacy of the masks puts it way below the scientific evidence of the efficacy of the vaccination. If you want to be extra super duper safe and keep wearing it after you’re vaccinated, by all means feel free. But I think whatever judgement one might cast on vaccinated people that don’t wear them should, at this point, be viewed as total Karen behavior as opposed to be taken very seriously.
And if people aren’t yet vaccinated, they should definitely not be attending mass crowds. If they do, and they get the ‘vid, that is 100% on them. With zero moral consequences to the person that did get vaccinated and decided to not wear a mask. It’s a pretty easy equation, imo.
SamDBL

Postby patient_ot » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:07 am

SamDBL wrote:
Meh. ‘Several reports’, which is not much better than anecdotal evidence, out of hundreds of millions of vaccinations is not what I’d call high odds. The odds ore fucking low. I really feel like that at this point in time, there is a stigma of virtue, be it implication that you are a trump supporter or that you are a crazy conspiracist if you don’t wear one, linked to mask wearing that’s been attached to this whole ordeal that is accounting for this social need to hang on to the ritual. The scientific proof for the efficacy of the masks puts it way below the scientific evidence of the efficacy of the vaccination. If you want to be extra super duper safe and keep wearing it after you’re vaccinated, by all means feel free. But I think whatever judgement one might cast on vaccinated people that don’t wear them should, at this point, be viewed as total Karen behavior as opposed to be taken very seriously.
And if people aren’t yet vaccinated, they should definitely not be attending mass crowds. If they do, and they get the ‘vid, that is 100% on them. With zero moral consequences to the person that did get vaccinated and decided to not wear a mask. It’s a pretty easy equation, imo.

You must be unfamiliar with the concept of virus mutations:

https://www.oxfam.org/en/press-releases ... d-vaccines
patient_ot

Postby SamDBL » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:43 am

patient_ot wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

You must be unfamiliar with the concept of virus mutations:

https://www.oxfam.org/en/press-releases ... d-vaccines

I’m not. It’s a risk with any virus and any vaccine. At this point for this virus and this vaccine, the risk is theoretical. And if you think it’s a significant risk that you can’t deal with, then you may as well skip getting the vax at all. And also never leave your home again. Because this virus is not going to just disappear, and the risk of a mutation so varied that the vaccine has no effect at all will be there probably until the sun swallows the earth in a few billion years.
I’ll say it again, if unvaccinated people are worried that the vaccinated will passs a virus onto them, they should get the vaccine themselves. If not, it’s their choice to make and they can deal with the consequences. Vaccinated people not wearing masks is not the problem. And they are in no moral obligation to do so, imo.

I do have to say the amount of second guessing, hyper critical attention and unwarranted skepticism on a well researched vaccine from the same crowd that takes outlandish concepts like ‘black people are being hunted on the streets’ pretty on total faith and some shakey videos on face value with seemingly no research at all, is fascinating, It seems that most of the hesitation on trusting the vaccine seems to be coming mostly from the ‘scientific’ left, when I would’ve totally guessed it was something that would have occurred on the conspiratorial right. I think it’s a genuinely interesting thing where these issues land in the hyper polarized climate we live in, now.
SamDBL

Postby earthdog70 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:57 pm

Double OOOF:

https://pix11.com/news/local-news/manha ... -memorial/

Not a good look Black and Blue! :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby captain2man » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:34 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Double OOOF:

https://pix11.com/news/local-news/manha ... -memorial/

Not a good look Black and Blue! :lol:

Well -- more like triple OOOF - because they got it mostly wrong. The permit did NOT say it was for a 9/11 memorial. They did submit another permit for....September....that WAS for a planned 9/11 memorial/show.

Joe Cuz - the head of Black N Blue Productions - posted a picture of the actual permit last night (I couldn't find it at the moment). The permit said it was for a political protest with live music and also gave the estimated attendance at 100. So - it's pretty clear there was an intentional false pretense to the permit....but - to be clear - it did NOT say anything about a 9/11 memorial thing.
captain2man

Postby SamDBL » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:12 pm

Did any suckers get dropped?
SamDBL

Postby Neal » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:30 pm

Neal

Postby jaybird » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:48 am

FormerLurker wrote:Anyway, I've been saying this is the worst genre of punk/rock music of all-time for at least 30 years now.

Bronzed 'n' huged.
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:55 am

Flattering, tbh
FormerLurker

Postby SamDBL » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:57 pm

FormerLurker wrote:Flattering, tbh

:lol:

I liked some of those NYHC bands. But I was extremely picky. I'll tell you what I *really* hated about it. Yup, you guessed it.. the fascination so many of them had with rap and rap imagery. The sideways hats, big FILA sneakers and pictures where the bands were standing in run dmc poses were the last nails in the coffin for me. I often cite that SIde By Side 7" cover as the worst fucking thing to ever exist. I can't look at it without hearing shit like 'yo, sucka' and 'step off' running through my head. Just doing an image search for it has put me in a bad mood.

SamDBL

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:10 pm

SamDBL wrote:

I liked some of those NYHC bands. But I was extremely picky. I'll tell you what I *really* hated about it. Yup, you guessed it.. the fascination so many of them had with rap and rap imagery. The sideways hats, big FILA sneakers and pictures where the bands were standing in run dmc poses were the last nails in the coffin for me. I often cite that SIde By Side 7" cover as the worst fucking thing to ever exist. I can't look at it without hearing shit like 'yo, sucka' and 'step off' running through my head. Just doing an image search for it has put me in a bad mood.

I've been quiet so far, but I suggest you do some research on the connection between hip-hop and hardcore here in NYC back then. It was just everywhere, so of course, many of the downtown bands going back to the early '80s when Fab 5 Freddy brought it there were very informed by it. My acquaintance Freddy Alva who used to run the great Wardance label wrote a book about that very thing a few years back.

https://deathwishinc.com/products/urban ... reddy-alva

2) I LOVE that cover; something about the stark black and white figures/outlines on black really does it for me.

3) That 7" rules. I always liked it, but gained a new appreciation for it once I heard the Where It Went episode on it last summer and got the late '90s CD with demos, rehearsals, etc. They were a really good band, if short-lived like many others.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:14 pm

JGJR wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

I've been quiet so far, but I suggest you do some research on the connection between hip-hop and hardcore here in NYC back then. It was just everywhere, so of course, many of the downtown bands going back to the early '80s when Fab 5 Freddy brought it there were very informed by it. My acquaintance Freddy Alva who used to run the great Wardance label wrote a book about that very thing a few years back.

2) I LOVE that cover; something about the stark black and white figures/outlines on black really does it for me.

3) That 7" rules. I always liked it, but gained a new appreciation for it once I heard the Where It Went episode on it last summer and got the late '90s CD with demos, rehearsals, etc. They were a really good band, if short-lived like many others.

Completely agree. Hip Hop in NYC in the 80s was huge for hardcore bands, even just in their aesthetics, much less sound in some cases.

SIde By Side don't sound a thing like hip hop.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:16 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

Completely agree. Hip Hop in NYC in the 80s was huge for hardcore bands, even just in their aesthetics, much less sound in some cases.

SIde By Side don't sound a thing like hip hop.

Yep; one of the things I like about em are the weirdo metal riffs thrown in there like in the beginning of "Backfire." It's almost like street-level Metallica at a few points.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby pedro » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:17 pm

Apparently, the dudes in Side by Side have really big feet.
Hello.
pedro

Postby SamDBL » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:22 pm

Yeah, I know they didn't actually rap in their songs. I remember it being a pretty straight forward NYHC example. I don't give a fuck. It could sound like the second coming of Discharge. I can't get past the bootleg cover. In fact, most of the bands I'm talking about didn't actually rap (until we get to shit like Biohazard.. *puke*). They'd just adopt the dumb as fuck lingo (Yo, where da warzone women at? WORD!), fashion, and posturing. I don't actually *care* about the supposed historical connection of nyhc and rap. That justifies nothing to me. It's an aesthetic that I fucking hate(d). The bands I liked from NY did not absorb that influence. Between that, the goofy sxe/bleached tips scene, and the hare krishna shit... jesus. I guess I *do* agree with Randy.
SamDBL

Next

Return to daghouse