Dinosaur Jr "Sweep It Into Space"

Dinosaur Jr "Sweep It Into Space"

Postby gregpolard » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:24 am

One of the most consistent bands of all time has a new album out as of last Friday. I've already played it a half a dozen times and have to say, I love it!

Grabbed the purple vinyl at Siren this weekend.

Whatchall think??
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Dinosaur Jr "Sweep It Into Space"

Postby DelGriffith » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:51 am

Its right there with the self-titled debut for me.
DelGriffith

Postby scannest » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:05 am

It seems to be their most unabashed 'poppy' record in a very long time. Which is fine by me.
Wish Kurt Vile wasn't involved. I have an irrational hatred of that dude.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:07 am

scannest wrote:It seems to be their most unabashed 'poppy' record in a very long time. Which is fine by me.
Wish Kurt Vile wasn't involved. I have an irrational hatred of that dude.

He produced the album and plays on a couple of tracks. Not sure I've ever listened to his music. I know he's from Philly and that's pretty much it.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:42 am

Listening to it right now. It’s good, but it finally pinpointed why I have trouble connecting with the post-reunion records - J plays too fucking well and rather conventionally these days. What I really loved about the SST records was the unpredictability and the unconventional song structures. J said that he didn’t know how to write a song and the verses were just parts to connect guitar solos. Whatever the reason, it really worked for me and was a huge part of what I loved about them. As early as Green Mind, things got fairly orthodox and I got less interested. All their records are good, but the weird song structures and random noise explosions of the SST albums are what keep me coming back to those more than any of the others.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:43 am

If there was 1 monster = to the sound of Dinosaur Jr, it would be Hedorah (aka The Smog Monster) who graces the cover of the album.

xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:07 am

Also, is that Lou singing on a couple of songs? WTF happened to his vocals? I hate them.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:18 am

version sound wrote:Also, is that Lou singing on a couple of songs? WTF happened to his vocals? I hate them.

He's on two songs. I think he sounds just fine!
gregpolard

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:06 pm

I do not like it. Songs are snoozy, no guitar heroics, no hooks. Sounds like it was recorded by 3 dudes in 3 different studios with no interaction, which maybe it was.
FormerLurker

Postby JGJR » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:49 pm

On early listens (so subject to change, of course), I already like it more than anything since Beyond. I generally agree with VS' take on the reunion records (never could really articulate why I like the earlier stuff more besides hearing them when I was much younger), but I think Green Mind is amazing. The unabashed pop aspect is a very good thing that J is quite good at and I don't mind Kurt Vile's presence on here, either.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby drew » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:53 pm

I like it. I think it’s the best of the reunion records since FARM. We have tix for them in BK in Nov. so hopefully it’s all happening.
We-Tang in July canceled.... :(
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:07 am

It’s not bad. Very digital sounding album. Vocals definitely sound like they were cut in a different studio. “To Be Waiting” is my favorite from the songs I listened to. Haven’t been really excited about them since YLAOM.

They still never topped that album, IMO.
Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:15 am

FormerLurker wrote:I do not like it. Songs are snoozy, no guitar heroics, no hooks. Sounds like it was recorded by 3 dudes in 3 different studios with no interaction, which maybe it was.

No guitar heroics? Really? I hear J widdling and wailing all over the place, unless you mean that the leads are more typical classic rock solos, you’d be correct.
Agreed though. The instruments sound like bumped tracks sent to each other. Not terrible, but not the most cohesive thing.

version sound wrote:..the weird song structures and random noise explosions of the SST albums are what keep me coming back to those more than any of the others.

Yup. That was the indie recording budget "charm" of the first 3 LPs. That weirdness went away when they got signed to something more than Homestead/SST.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:26 am

"Where You Been" (IIRC the title) is where I get off the Dino Jr./JMascis train. People have told me that some of the reunion albums are good but when I checked out a couple of songs nothing grabbed me. My favorite by them has always been "Bug".
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:24 pm

patient_ot wrote:"Where You Been" (IIRC the title) is where I get off the Dino Jr./JMascis train. People have told me that some of the reunion albums are good but when I checked out a couple of songs nothing grabbed me. My favorite by them has always been "Bug".

I had an original of WYB and sold it. I kinda wish I'd kept it, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the 1st 4.
JGJR

Postby Fillavoid » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:44 pm

So far I'm feeling mixed about this album. I'm not sure where I'd rank it among their other reunion records. I absolutely adore Beyond, Farm, and Give A Glimpse of What Yer Not (although I never got into I Bet On Sky), but to me this album sounds different. I'm not sure where I stand on it yet.

Maybe it's in my head, but the band sounds bored compared to the energy of their previous albums. The drums sound subdued, which I think is largely due to the production; but it also sounds like Murph is dialing it back. He's usually such a powerhouse. Compare his drumming here to anything off of Farm and you'll hear the difference.

As far as the songs themselves, I enjoy Lou's contributions, particularly "Garden". I think he just gets better as a songwriter and his songs show a growing maturity (I first noticed this with "Love Is..." from their previous album). While several of J's songs are great ("And Me" is a highlight), on the whole I feel he has written better songs in the past. Again, these are just first impressions, and my opinion may change as I listen to it more.
Fillavoid

Postby Fillavoid » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:21 pm

version sound wrote:Listening to it right now. It’s good, but it finally pinpointed why I have trouble connecting with the post-reunion records - J plays too fucking well and rather conventionally these days. What I really loved about the SST records was the unpredictability and the unconventional song structures. J said that he didn’t know how to write a song and the verses were just parts to connect guitar solos. Whatever the reason, it really worked for me and was a huge part of what I loved about them. As early as Green Mind, things got fairly orthodox and I got less interested. All their records are good, but the weird song structures and random noise explosions of the SST albums are what keep me coming back to those more than any of the others.

That makes complete sense. I agree, the unconventional song structures and unpredictability make those early albums special. With that said, I really like the reunion albums. I think it's partly because Beyond was my introduction to Dinosaur Jr., and I listened to that thing on repeat. I didn't appreciate albums like You're Living All Over Me until later. I realize that's a bit unusual.
Fillavoid

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:41 pm

Fillavoid wrote:So far I'm feeling mixed about this album. I'm not sure where I'd rank it among their other reunion records. I absolutely adore Beyond, Farm, and Give A Glimpse of What Yer Not (although I never got into I Bet On Sky), but to me this album sounds different. I'm not sure where I stand on it yet.

Maybe it's in my head, but the band sounds bored compared to the energy of their previous albums. The drums sound subdued, which I think is largely due to the production; but it also sounds like Murph is dialing it back. He's usually such a powerhouse. Compare his drumming here to anything off of Farm and you'll hear the difference.

Yep
FormerLurker

Postby version sound » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:42 pm

I liked Dinosaur Jr in the early 90s. Maybe I had one of the SST releases in the late 80s, I don’t really remember. It took them a while to grow on me, and I don’t think I was really a bona fide fan until the 00s, so not checking in until the reunion doesn’t seem that weird to me. Their first reunion tour was the first (and only, so far) time I saw them live.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:51 pm

JGJR wrote:
patient_ot wrote:"Where You Been" (IIRC the title) is where I get off the Dino Jr./JMascis train. People have told me that some of the reunion albums are good but when I checked out a couple of songs nothing grabbed me. My favorite by them has always been "Bug".

I had an original of WYB and sold it. I kinda wish I'd kept it, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the 1st 4.

You're wild. "Where You Been" is great. I'm starting to think your opinions are just a piece of performance art :lol: :lol: :lol:
gregpolard

Postby patient_ot » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:08 am

JGJR wrote:

I've heard mixed opinions on it over the years. Too samey and kinda depressing is the main critique, IIRC. I don't mind it though and like it more than Green Mind in many ways.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:05 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

You're wild. "Where You Been" is great. I'm starting to think your opinions are just a piece of performance art :lol: :lol: :lol:

You'd be very wrong. :lol: It's just where I checked out in the '90s, but more because I was just getting deeper and deeper into hardcore, emo, et al. I've still never heard Without a Sound or Hand it Over in their entireties, but I have a feeling I will soon given how much I've been listening to them recently (YLAOM now).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 am

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I've heard mixed opinions on it over the years. Too samey and kinda depressing is the main critique, IIRC. I don't mind it though and like it more than Green Mind in many ways.

I remember really liking the very Greg Sage like closing track on side 1, but the rest of it not making a big impression. I still wish I'd kept it, but c'est la vie. At least it just got reissued. But Green Mind is the first one I heard in real time and overall (heard that one and s/t at the same time and they're still my favorites, but Bug is a very close 2nd).
JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:51 pm

I haven’t listened yet. And although I dig the reunion albums quite a bit, the lo fi production gag is kinda starting to wear on me.
SamDBL

Postby gregpolard » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:01 pm

SamDBL wrote:I haven’t listened yet. And although I dig the reunion albums quite a bit, the lo fi production gag is kinda starting to wear on me.

This one doesn't sound "lo-fi" to my ears, if that makes a difference.
gregpolard

Postby earthdog70 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:01 pm

Didn't think it was "lo-fi" to my ears listening to the vinyl last week. They are playing here Thanksgiving weekend with The Lemonheads, I need to grab a ticket :idea:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Return to daghouse