Yes, another insert request: Sonic Youth

Yes, another insert request: Sonic Youth

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:19 pm

Got a great deal on a small lot of some original SY vinyl.

One of the acquired pieces is an SST copy of "Confusion is Sex". It doesn't have insert. Does anyone have one they'd be able to scan?

Thanks!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Yes, another insert request: Sonic Youth

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:30 pm

I discovered them.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:52 pm

Discover me a hi-res PDF of the insert and we'll talk
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:03 pm

:shock:

How RUDE!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:06 pm

Sorry, but my SY vinyl only runs from BMR through Dirty. I should get those first two one day...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:08 pm

version sound wrote:Sorry, but my SY vinyl only runs from BMR through Dirty. I should get those first two one day...

Ah man, you were my biggest hope in here LOL
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:06 pm

Aquaman could probably assist....
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:59 pm

Aquaman...help a brother out! (please)
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:20 am

I've managed to hold on to about 2 dozen cassettes and one of them is the SST release of CONFUSION IS SEX. There is a very tiny version of the insert on the inside fold-out. I don't think this helps.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Hal » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:24 am

Only have the CD :(
Hal

Postby gregpolard » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:30 am

scannest wrote:I've managed to hold on to about 2 dozen cassettes and one of them is the SST release of CONFUSION IS SEX. There is a very tiny version of the insert on the inside fold-out. I don't think this helps.

sadly it does not, but that's pretty cool! I only ever owned the DGC 90's reissue cd before.

I was thinking about how I did used to have the "Sister" SST CD with the Disney picture. Kinda cool
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:42 pm

Semi related and still kinda funny

Robert Christgau's review of the 'Kill Yr Idols' EP

Kill Yr. Idols [Zensor EP, 1983]
Idolization is for rock stars, even rock stars manqué like these impotent bohos--critics just want a little respect. So if it's not too hypersensitive of me, I wasn't flattered to hear my name pronounced right, not on this particular title track--not pleased to note that, though "Brother James" is a dandy Glenn Branca tribute and one of the tracks lifted directly from Confusion Is Sex is a lot niftier than the other track lifted directly from Confusion Is Sex, the title cut's most likely to appeal to suckers for rock and roll as opposed to suckers for boho posers. Boho posers just shoot off their mouths a lot. With rock-and-rollers you never know. B-
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:14 pm

He certainly came around on them. When they got good, that is.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:30 pm

scannest wrote:He certainly came around on them. When they got good, that is.

They were always good. I love the s/t 12" on Neutral, but I could see how a lot of the pre-EVOL or even pre-Sister stuff could be not nearly as accessible for many.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:08 pm

BMR was their first great record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:24 pm

version sound wrote:Sorry, but my SY vinyl only runs from BMR through Dirty. I should get those first two one day...

I can float you a copy of Kill Yr Idols 12” but you probably have it. Zensor German import 1983
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:25 pm

version sound wrote:BMR was their first great record.

The EPs were great
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:26 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:

I can float you a copy of Kill Yr Idols 12” but you probably have it. Zensor German import 1983

What am I? Chopped vegan liver?
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:28 pm

gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

He has sent me some coveted LPs in the past. Velvet Monkeys on Fountain of Youth, Double Negative, Big Star white vinyl which I bestowed to one of my best friends and band mates for his birthday.

What have you done for me lately, Greg?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:36 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:

I do not have anything before BMR and would happily give that a good home...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:43 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

He has sent me some coveted LPs in the past. Velvet Monkeys on Fountain of Youth, Double Negative, Big Star white vinyl which I bestowed to one of my best friends and band mates for his birthday.

What have you done for me lately, Greg?

Uhh....provided you with endless hours of entertainment on the internet, of course!
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:39 pm

BMR was the first indication they could become a really good band. EVOL is a really good record. SISTER is a great record. DAYDREAM NATION is a tremendous, game changing record. Everything after is part of a continuum of good to great music by an incredibly important band. But if they stopped after CiS no one would give a shit about them other than a handful of record collector scum.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:08 am

scannest wrote:BMR was the first indication they could become a really good band. EVOL is a really good record. SISTER is a great record. DAYDREAM NATION is a tremendous, game changing record. Everything after is part of a continuum of good to great music by an incredibly important band. But if they stopped after CiS no one would give a shit about them other than a handful of record collector scum.

Pretty spot on. While I like the early releases for what they are, to me BMR/EVOL is when they became great.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:40 am

scannest wrote: But if they stopped after CiS no one would give a shit about them other than a handful of record collector scum.

I feel triggered. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, you are admittedly likely not wrong there.

Psst, EVOL is my favorite; wouldn't call it their best, but it's typically my go-to.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:53 am

'Protect Me You' from CiS is one of their all time greatest tracks. And the single 'Flower'. Both Kim on vox.

Aquaman claims that these are a few of the rare times that he and I agree on things in music, though there are a lot of other examples.

(Big Boys 'Complete Control', 'Which Way to Go'... :lol:)

Last time I'd ever seen SY (was with Drew..) and they played a pummeling version of 'Flower' and I think it was the 2nd song. Those in the know went completely crazy!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby BAIN » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:49 am

BAIN

Postby gregpolard » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:03 am

BAIN wrote:the scan on discogs is pretty legit

https://www.discogs.com/Sonic-Youth-Con ... aster/9792

It might resort to that but at least on my work computer it looks pretty low res.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:24 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:'Protect Me You' from CiS is one of their all time greatest tracks. And the single 'Flower'. Both Kim on vox.

Aquaman claims that these are a few of the rare times that he and I agree on things in music, though there are a lot of other examples.

Last time I'd ever seen SY (was with Drew..) and they played a pummeling version of 'Flower' and I think it was the 2nd song. Those in the know went completely crazy!

Was that in Williamsburg maybe 2010? I remember seeing drew there. That was the last time I saw them, too. And "Flower" is in my top 5 SY tracks always. Absolutely incredible tune (love those Big Boys tunes, too).
JGJR

Postby drew » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:27 pm

JGJR wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:'Protect Me You' from CiS is one of their all time greatest tracks. And the single 'Flower'. Both Kim on vox.

Was that in Williamsburg maybe 2010? I remember seeing drew there. That was the last time I saw them, too. And "Flower" is in my top 5 SY tracks always. Absolutely incredible tune (love those Big Boys tunes, too).

Two different shows. United Palace and Williamsburg Waterfront. Maybe their last show in the USA ever. I believe this was the last show in America and then they went overseas.
drew

Postby JGJR » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:21 pm

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Two different shows. United Palace and Williamsburg Waterfront. Maybe their last show in the USA ever. I believe this was the last show in America and then they went overseas.

Oh wow. I honestly didn't realize that. I know that I never got to see them again, but by the following year, I was watching Lee open for M Ward at Union Transfer with his solo band (which I think included Steve). It's kinda cool and historic (of course), but also kinda sad to think that we caught their last U.S. show ever.
JGJR

Return to daghouse