Official Daghouse thread on Teenage Fanclub

Official Daghouse thread on Teenage Fanclub

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:45 am

Been on quite the kick of late. What's your favorite?
New album at the end of the month. I'll add more thoughts later or something.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Official Daghouse thread on Teenage Fanclub

Postby scannest » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:14 pm

I was in super early on TFC. Got to see them at Maxwell's soon after the debut came out. One of the LOUDEST shows I've ever attended. They had a serious Dino Jr. obsession at the time. Bought everything I could get my hands on. Like or loved everything through SONGS FROM NORTHERN BRITIAN (with an exception for the patience-testing THE KING). And then I just kinda lost track outside of the singles. Gonna be interesting to see how they move on from the loss of Gerard Love (apparently he announced he was done with touring and they chose to part ways). I know Norman is considered the main songwriter, but Gerard's tunes were frequently their equal in quality, if not quantity.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:27 pm

scannest wrote:I was in super early on TFC. Got to see them at Maxwell's soon after the debut came out. One of the LOUDEST shows I've ever attended. They had a serious Dino Jr. obsession at the time. Bought everything I could get my hands on. Like or loved everything through SONGS FROM NORTHERN BRITIAN (with an exception for the patience-testing THE KING). And then I just kinda lost track outside of the singles. Gonna be interesting to see how they move on from the loss of Gerard Love (apparently he announced he was done with touring and they chose to part ways). I know Norman is considered the main songwriter, but Gerard's tunes were frequently their equal in quality, if not quantity.

I'm definitely most into the 1990-1997 run. The best part of "The King" is the Madonna cover. Why do I feel like "The King" is JGJR's favorite album of theirs? :lol:
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:16 am

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:I was in super early on TFC. Got to see them at Maxwell's soon after the debut came out. One of the LOUDEST shows I've ever attended. They had a serious Dino Jr. obsession at the time. Bought everything I could get my hands on. Like or loved everything through SONGS FROM NORTHERN BRITIAN (with an exception for the patience-testing THE KING). And then I just kinda lost track outside of the singles. Gonna be interesting to see how they move on from the loss of Gerard Love (apparently he announced he was done with touring and they chose to part ways). I know Norman is considered the main songwriter, but Gerard's tunes were frequently their equal in quality, if not quantity.

I'm definitely most into the 1990-1997 run. The best part of "The King" is the Madonna cover. Why do I feel like "The King" is JGJR's favorite album of theirs? :lol:

LOL, you know that's not true. My go-tos are Songs from Northern Britain (their best album IMO) for the 90s era and Shadows for the 21st-century albums. I like Grand Prix, Bandwagonesque, and Man-Made a lot, too. Great live band, too, at least with Gerry Love.

Hot take: I think Raymond McGinley is my favorite of the 3 songwriters, but I don't find them nearly as interesting without all 3 of them. What I've heard of the new album is similar to their last one Here; good but not great. Here has grown on me a bit over the years, though.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Dinko » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:03 pm

Paul Quinn-era, for sure. Love Man-Made, too. Favorite song is Raymond's "Only with you". Shadows and Here were pretty boring to my ears. Same for Lightships. Here sounds awful, especially on vinyl. Check out The Primary Five. That's all. All? No, ALL!
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:44 pm

Dinko wrote:Paul Quinn-era, for sure. Love Man-Made, too. Favorite song is Raymond's "Only with you". Shadows and Here were pretty boring to my ears. Same for Lightships. Here sounds awful, especially on vinyl. Check out The Primary Five. That's all. All? No, ALL!

I disagree about Here sounding awful on vinyl. My copy sounds fine. Norman also signed it, so there's that, too. :lol:

That said, "Only with You" is one of their very best. GREAT call there. Have you heard Juliana Hatfield and Evan Dando's version of "Cells" (another great one from Man-Made)? If not, here you go.

Favorite songs by singer/writer:

Raymond: "Can't Feel My Soul"
Gerry: "Starsign" (on another day, might've picked "Sweet Days Waiting")
Norman: "The Back of My Mind" (could've picked so many others like the above "Cells" or "The Concept" or "About You" or "Start Again" or...)
Last edited by JGJR on Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:55 pm

Random thoughts:

TFC’s best song is “Sparky’s Dream.”
TFC’s best album is “Songs from Northern Britain.”
TFC would be one of the best bands ever if only Gerry were allowed to write songs.
Somebody should confiscate Raymond’s microphone.
Doctors should consider post-Gerry-era TFC live shows as a potential treatment for insomnia.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby DelGriffith » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:02 pm

Any of you guys fuck with that album they did with Jad Fair? Might be my favorite of their catalog.
DelGriffith

Postby gregpolard » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:06 pm

DelGriffith wrote:Any of you guys fuck with that album they did with Jad Fair? Might be my favorite of their catalog.

Funny you ask, Del. Given JGJR's track record I'd peg him as a fan of "The King" (debunked above) or this one as a favorite.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:15 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:Random thoughts:

TFC would be one of the best bands ever if only Gerry were allowed to write songs.
Doctors should consider post-Gerry-era TFC live shows as a potential treatment for insomnia.

Harsh! LOL - did you see them on that last tour in 2019 here?
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:18 pm

Incorrect.

jaybird

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:34 pm

I agree with only 1 of those (Songs from Northern Britain); no comment on the post-Gerry live show since the last time IJ saw them was in 2016. You had me until you dissed Raymond's vocals.
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:35 pm

gregpolard wrote:

No. I saw the last tour with Gerry and extrapolated. :). The weird thing is that back in the 90s, they were a pretty lively bunch, leaping around with their guitars slung low. Now, they stand stock still with their instruments jacked up to their chins.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:36 pm

jaybird wrote:

Incorrect.

Also a great song.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:13 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

No. I saw the last tour with Gerry and extrapolated. :). The weird thing is that back in the 90s, they were a pretty lively bunch, leaping around with their guitars slung low. Now, they stand stock still with their instruments jacked up to their chins.

I saw them in 2010 and they were great but definitely didn't look like the band who's videos I watched on youtube from Reading in 1992 haha
gregpolard

Postby patient_ot » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:54 pm

I enjoy them and should probably listen to them more often. Don't have any of the more recent stuff. I think the latest one I have is Howdy. Most of the 90s stuff is great.

Favorite would be Grand Prix or SFNB.
patient_ot

Postby drew » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:30 pm

I had Bandwagonesque......they were on SNL when Shannon Dogherty hosted. I think I saw them open for someone? I’m not sure
drew

Postby Markonomicon » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:19 am

Grand Prix.

Every song is gold.
Markonomicon

Postby version sound » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:24 am

They have never clicked with me. Did another skip through of a few of their early/mid 90s records, and though I liked what I heard fine, I wasn’t compelled to dive any deeper. I think the reviewers who repeatedly compared them to Big Star in the 90s did them a great disservice. That set my expectations way too high.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:56 pm

New album "Endless Arcade" came out today. I'm working another one of my 13 hour days so I've played it a couple times. I'm into it. I was weary when they parted ways with Gerry but this doesn't disappoint.
gregpolard

Return to daghouse