The Simpsons - Morrissey/Smiths episode

The Simpsons - Morrissey/Smiths episode

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:17 am

Who watched it last night?

I missed it, but was able to stream it this morning.

WARNING SPOILERS LATER

overall I thought it was funny, tho I do agree at the end that some were a bit out of character, but I didn’t get angered like the Moz Facebook account :lol:
^v^
WrEtcH

Re: The Simpsons - Morrissey/Smiths episode

Postby aquaman » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:04 am

Lisa says that Bummershoot is her first music festival, how can she forget Hullabalooza? - which she went to twice and her father performed as part of.
To quote The Simpsons: I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder
aquaman

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:12 am

This shit is still on the air?
FormerLurker

Postby gregpolard » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:40 pm

I thought the same thing, aquaman!

I thought the episode was funny - I can see why Morrissey didn't, though hahahahahahah
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby SamDBL » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:34 pm

FormerLurker wrote:This shit is still on the air?

Nooooo shit.

Also, can someone give me the cliffs note version of why morrissey is a racist nazi, or whatever? I just see the usual suspects all over my feed absolutely reveling in his displeasure. I'm sure the charges against him are super compelling and rock solid.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:43 pm

aquaman wrote:Lisa says that Bummershoot is her first music festival, how can she forget Hullabalooza? - which she went to twice and her father performed as part of.
To quote The Simpsons: I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder

The Simpsons gave up on in-series timeline continuity like 20 years ago.
jaybird

Postby jaybird » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:49 pm

SamDBL wrote:

Nooooo shit.

Also, can someone give me the cliffs note version of why morrissey is a racist nazi, or whatever? I just see the usual suspects all over my feed absolutely reveling in his displeasure. I'm sure the charges against him are super compelling and rock solid.

i mean, this one is pretty out there:

On animal cruelty in China:
“You can’t help but feel that the Chinese people are a subspecies.”

Dude is edgier than El Duce on the Wally George show.

:lol:

https://inews.co.uk/culture/morrisseys- ... tes-145228
jaybird

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:06 pm

Xx
Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:12 pm

SamDBL wrote:

Nooooo shit.

Do you know any of his music, post Smiths?

Bengali in Platforms?
Asian rut?

Also, doesn’t he wear a pin representing White Nationalism?

The interwebs can be a super source of information.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:28 pm

Bengali, Bengali
Bengali, Bengali
No no no
He does not want to depress you
Oh no no no no no
He only wants to impress you
Oh...
Bengali in platforms
He only wants to embrace your culture
And to be your friend forever
Forever
Bengali, Bengali
Bengali, Bengali
Oh, shelve your Western plans
And understand
That life is hard enough when you belong here
A silver-studded rim that glistens
And an ankle-star that...blinds me
A lemon sole so very high
Which only reminds me; to tell you
Break the news gently
Break the news to him gently
"Shelve your plans; shelve your plans, shelve them"
Bengali, Bengali
It's the touchy march of time that binds you
Don't blame me
Don't hate me
Just because I'm the one to tell you
Oh...
Shelve your Western plans
Oh...
'Cause life is hard enough when you belong
Life is hard enough when you belong here
Oh...
Oh...
Shelve your best friends
'Cause life is hard when you belong here
Oh...
Life is hard enough when you belong
xxxMidgexxx

Postby SamDBL » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:07 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

Nooooo shit.

Do you know any of his music, post Smiths?

Bengali in Platforms?
Asian rut?

Also, doesn’t he wear a pin representing White Nationalism?

The interwebs can be a super source of information.

Actually, it’s a near useless source of information on topics like these. What I saw from a quick scan was dozens of opinionated political tabloids saying he supports a white power organization. And him repeatedly saying that he despises all forms of racism and fascism. Needless to say, I’m sure there’s more to the story. But I guess I don’t care enough to ‘research’ the incident further. I was hoping someone could link to an interview where he praises the entire Skrewdriver catalogue, or some shit.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:11 pm

SamDBL wrote:
Actually, it’s a near useless source of information on topics like these. What I saw from a quick scan was dozens of opinionated political tabloids saying he supports a white power organization. And him repeatedly saying that he despises all forms of racism and fascism. Needless to say, I’m sure there’s more to the story. But I guess I don’t care enough to ‘research’ the incident further. I was hoping someone could link to an interview where he praises the entire Skrewdriver catalogue, or some shit.

You got plenty Skrewdriver shit in the song I just posted. His love letter to people from Bangladesh. His lyrics as far as I’m concerned are a rock solid indication of where his head is. Up his asshole.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby SamDBL » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:26 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

You got plenty Skrewdriver shit in the song I just posted. His love letter to people from Bangladesh. His lyrics as far as I’m concerned are a rock solid indication of where his head is. Up his asshole.

I dunno. It’s pretty vague and interpretive, as his lyrics tend to be. At first glance (and as some critics have mentioned) it could be written mostly from the perspective of the Bengali and his frustration. Also, they were apparently co-written with a producer? I might look a bit further to see if he ever gives a definitive explanation of the lyrics (I’m sure he’s had to have been questioned about them by now). I mean, I have no dog in the race. I’ve never been a Morrissey fan (though I love Johnny marr). So I’m open to the idea that he could be a white power racist, or whatever. I just find it to be a little far fetched. These public scandals are sometimes based on such flimsy evidence that I tend to be sceptical. At the very least, there is usually more to the story. As I mentioned, he’s said many times that he is not racist and hates fascism. So why should I take the word of op Ed writers with axes to grind about his inner soul over the man’s own words?
SamDBL

Postby version sound » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:09 pm

Morrissey is more anti-immigrant than anything else. His basic position in the last decade or two has been “England is for the English.” You won’t find him committing to much more than that in public, though he did call the Chinese a “subspecies,” and when asked if he was racist replied “The word is meaningless now. Everyone ultimately prefers their own race. … Does this make everyone racist?” If his music was better, it would be slightly easier to stomach. I won’t disavow the Smiths or even early Morrissey solo just because he seems to be more and more of a twat the older he gets. Honestly, I’m not 100% convinced he actually believes any of the nonsense he spouts, he just really loves the attention, and the older and the less relevant he gets, the more he has to act out to get it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby SamDBL » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:29 pm

version sound wrote:Morrissey is more anti-immigrant than anything else. His basic position in the last decade or two has been “England is for the English.” You won’t find him committing to much more than that in public, though he did call the Chinese a “subspecies,” and when asked if he was racist replied “The word is meaningless now. Everyone ultimately prefers their own race. … Does this make everyone racist?” If his music was better, it would be slightly easier to stomach. I won’t disavow the Smiths or even early Morrissey solo just because he seems to be more and more of a twat the older he gets. Honestly, I’m not 100% convinced he actually believes any of the nonsense he spouts, he just really loves the attention, and the older and the less relevant he gets, the more he has to act out to get it.

This all makes sense. The immigration thing is a very complex and radioactive issue. And I really don’t feel motivated to try and research if he is actually anti-immigrant, or if he’s just voiced some unpopular opinions on the topic. However, I quickly looked up the Chinese/subspecies quote. It was in reference to his vegetarian views, which have always been radical, imo. Much like PETA, he seems to value animal life equal or above human life. And the lack of animal rights laws in China, and footage of Chinese skinning dogs and cats alive, etc led him to make the remark about China, as a country and a people, sucking ass. Not that calling a race subspecies under any circumstance isn’t abhorrent. I think he has always courted controversy by saying outlandish things. This kind of schtick is always playing with fire, however. And anyone that takes part in it, from Johnny Rotten to Lee Ving, is really taking a gamble of going too far, even for their fans. While I’m still unconvinced that the gay guy that has always sang about things like animal rights, anti-authoritarianism, the plight of the outsider, and who has a massive Mexican/Latino audience is now a white supremacist, I have a better understanding of why people have written him off as such. And his careless wording and confrontational, narcissistic persona are certainly partially to blame. As you were.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:00 am

Morrisey should do a split 7" with Ted Nugent where they cover each other's songs for Record Store Day. Enrage everyone.
jaybird

Postby patient_ot » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:27 am

SamDBL wrote:This all makes sense. The immigration thing is a very complex and radioactive issue. And I really don’t feel motivated to try and research if he is actually anti-immigrant, or if he’s just voiced some unpopular opinions on the topic. However, I quickly looked up the Chinese/subspecies quote. It was in reference to his vegetarian views, which have always been radical, imo. Much like PETA, he seems to value animal life equal or above human life. And the lack of animal rights laws in China, and footage of Chinese skinning dogs and cats alive, etc led him to make the remark about China, as a country and a people, sucking ass. Not that calling a race subspecies under any circumstance isn’t abhorrent. I think he has always courted controversy by saying outlandish things. This kind of schtick is always playing with fire, however. And anyone that takes part in it, from Johnny Rotten to Lee Ving, is really taking a gamble of going too far, even for their fans. While I’m still unconvinced that the gay guy that has always sang about things like animal rights, anti-authoritarianism, the plight of the outsider, and who has a massive Mexican/Latino audience is now a white supremacist, I have a better understanding of why people have written him off as such. And his careless wording and confrontational, narcissistic persona are certainly partially to blame. As you were.

It's also possible for someone to hold no ill toward one minority, while holding racist views toward another. I can't tell you how many times I've encountered that.

Morrissey today is basically a xenophobic, grumpy old man. Racist against certain minority groups? Likely.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:34 am

version sound wrote:Morrissey is more anti-immigrant than anything else. His basic position in the last decade or two has been “England is for the English.” You won’t find him committing to much more than that in public, though he did call the Chinese a “subspecies,” and when asked if he was racist replied “The word is meaningless now. Everyone ultimately prefers their own race. … Does this make everyone racist?” If his music was better, it would be slightly easier to stomach. I won’t disavow the Smiths or even early Morrissey solo just because he seems to be more and more of a twat the older he gets. Honestly, I’m not 100% convinced he actually believes any of the nonsense he spouts, he just really loves the attention, and the older and the less relevant he gets, the more he has to act out to get it.

There will always be fans that stick with him no matter what. Regardless of how unlikable as a person he is these days, the music he is doing now is tired and kinda sucks. I liked some of his early 2000s stuff, but not enough to buy it, and the glory days of his solo career (late 80s through '95 or so) are long over.

The other thing that amuses me slightly is whenever he released a new album in the last ten years or so there would be a flurry of hype and people posting it on social media and such. Then a year or so later no one seems to be listening to these albums anymore, even his most ardent fans. I think that says a lot.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:55 am

patient_ot wrote:The other thing that amuses me slightly is whenever he released a new album in the last ten years or so there would be a flurry of hype and people posting it on social media and such. Then a year or so later no one seems to be listening to these albums anymore, even his most ardent fans. I think that says a lot.

I find this to be the case with more than just Morrissey. Maybe it is streaming on how music is consumed nowadays versus back when you used your hard earned money to have to buy a physical copy of something and there were very few ways to sell it if you didn't like it.
lewdd

Postby SamDBL » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:06 am

patient_ot wrote:
SamDBL wrote:This all makes sense. The immigration thing is a very complex and radioactive issue. And I really don’t feel motivated to try and research if he is actually anti-immigrant, or if he’s just voiced some unpopular opinions on the topic. However, I quickly looked up the Chinese/subspecies quote. It was in reference to his vegetarian views, which have always been radical, imo. Much like PETA, he seems to value animal life equal or above human life. And the lack of animal rights laws in China, and footage of Chinese skinning dogs and cats alive, etc led him to make the remark about China, as a country and a people, sucking ass. Not that calling a race subspecies under any circumstance isn’t abhorrent. I think he has always courted controversy by saying outlandish things. This kind of schtick is always playing with fire, however. And anyone that takes part in it, from Johnny Rotten to Lee Ving, is really taking a gamble of going too far, even for their fans. While I’m still unconvinced that the gay guy that has always sang about things like animal rights, anti-authoritarianism, the plight of the outsider, and who has a massive Mexican/Latino audience is now a white supremacist, I have a better understanding of why people have written him off as such. And his careless wording and confrontational, narcissistic persona are certainly partially to blame. As you were.

It's also possible for someone to hold no ill toward one minority, while holding racist views toward another. I can't tell you how many times I've encountered that.

Morrissey today is basically a xenophobic, grumpy old man. Racist against certain minority groups? Likely.

This is true. It’s just that in today’s climate, I have seen people that have any criticism of open borders, immigration policy, or willful failure of immigrants to assimilate as racist and xenophobic in a knee jerk reaction. I’m not saying this is the case with Morrissey. I really don’t know or care that much. But it is an annoying thing that happens. So when i see the typical offenders claiming that someone such as Mos is racist for his views on immigration, I take it with a grain of salt. People love to over simplify these viewpoints of issues down to pro/anti and good/evil. There are all sorts of shades in between, of course.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:17 am

lewdd wrote:
patient_ot wrote:The other thing that amuses me slightly is whenever he released a new album in the last ten years or so there would be a flurry of hype and people posting it on social media and such. Then a year or so later no one seems to be listening to these albums anymore, even his most ardent fans. I think that says a lot.

I find this to be the case with more than just Morrissey. Maybe it is streaming on how music is consumed nowadays versus back when you used your hard earned money to have to buy a physical copy of something and there were very few ways to sell it if you didn't like it.

You might be right, Lew. Music has become completely devalued, monetarily. And I think that sense of disposability to carry over into other areas of musical appreciation as well.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:52 pm

When someone shows you who they are, believe them.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:52 pm

gregpolard wrote:I thought the same thing, aquaman!

I thought the episode was funny - I can see why Morrissey didn't, though hahahahahahah

Yeah I enjoyed the episode overall, but I do agree with the Moz FB account that the old Quilloby character was out of character eating a pastrami sandwich and mentioning the lawsuits, but do we enter a realm of him being an actual portrayal or fictional character? During that point he felt he turned into John Lyndon. To tell the truth, the Homer storyline was more funnier.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:13 pm

WrEtcH wrote:

Yeah I enjoyed the episode overall, but I do agree with the Moz FB account that the old Quilloby character was out of character eating a pastrami sandwich and mentioning the lawsuits, but do we enter a realm of him being an actual portrayal or fictional character? During that point he felt he turned into John Lyndon. To tell the truth, the Homer storyline was more funnier.

Also, this is the first episode I've seen with the new Dr. Hibbert voice. Threw me off big time!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:25 pm

WrEtcH wrote:

I remember hearing decades ago that Morrissey's vegetarianism was a sham... No idea nor do I particularly care if it's true or not, and I'd be surprised if it was, but if I heard those sorts of rumors and shit-talking about him as a barely interested observer back in like 1987, it can't be that out of left field as a criticism.
jaybird

Postby lewdd » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:46 pm

I recall he threatened to back out of Riot Fest unless they quit selling meat. They negotiated that they would quit selling meat 1-2 hours before he came on stage.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:10 pm

jaybird wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:

I remember hearing decades ago that Morrissey's vegetarianism was a sham... No idea nor do I particularly care if it's true or not, and I'd be surprised if it was, but if I heard those sorts of rumors and shit-talking about him as a barely interested observer back in like 1987, it can't be that out of left field as a criticism.

Yeah...no. Definitely not a sham. He's a lot of things, but a closet meat eater ain't it.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:41 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

The problem with Morrissey is that he tends to be pretty evasive. He’s been flirting with the right wing for a couple of decades. He definitely seems to be xenophobic. As far as being straight up racist or hateful, I don’t know. I think only he knows what he really thinks. I get the vibe that he’s basically the English equivalent of a MAGA type. His xenophobia seems to stem mostly (but not entirely) from his veganism. Of course, I haven’t really heard him specifically target any majority white groups in the way he has Muslims or the Chinese, so it seems rather selective. People can find themselves aligning with some pretty unlikely groups when they are fanatical about a certain issue. I have a (former) friend who married a guy from Serbia, then went crazy aligning herself with pro-Serbian types, who are largely very right wing. She is half-Jewish and half-Chinese and didn’t used to be racist and homophobic, but now she is because those are the only people who agree with her about the Balkan war. It’s fucking nuts.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:41 pm

version sound wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

The problem with Morrissey is that he tends to be pretty evasive. He’s been flirting with the right wing for a couple of decades. He definitely seems to be xenophobic. As far as being straight up racist or hateful, I don’t know.

I'll still listen to the Smiths, but his solo lyrics make me barf. I'd never pay any money to see him.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:00 pm

Last time he came to the area he played in Camden NJ in 2019 to a place that holds thousands and it was WAYYYYY undersold. I did not attend but it seemed like everyone who did got GA pit seats because of how cheap they were on the secondary market. Apparently a lot of people left after Interpol
gregpolard

Return to daghouse