John Henry West article on Bandcamp

John Henry West article on Bandcamp

Postby JGJR » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:56 am

I thought a few of you might be interested in this. Great band; I didn't get to see them; missed them probably by a few weeks in '93.

https://daily.bandcamp.com/features/joh ... tification
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Re: John Henry West article on Bandcamp

Postby Dinko » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:41 pm

Nice. Thx.
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby captain2man » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:09 pm

JGJR wrote:I thought a few of you might be interested in this. Great band; I didn't get to see them; missed them probably by a few weeks in '93.

https://daily.bandcamp.com/features/joh ... tification

Great article. John Henry West really epitomized a certain flavor of hardcore that came out of the 90s. Sarah Kirsch could really do no wrong - every band she was in was good to great. I never saw John Henry West - but I did get to see one of her bands after that - Torches To Rome - and they were damn good.
captain2man

Postby matt » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:10 am

Cory, the singer, and I graduated high school together, and we were roommates right after (along with Rob Osbourne, singer for Forced Down). JHW was great.
matt
Site Admin

Postby BAIN » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:51 am

captain2man wrote:John Henry West really epitomized a certain flavor of hardcore that came out of the 90s.

my favorite flavor and what my collection mostly consists of
BAIN

Postby captain2man » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:49 am

BAIN wrote:
captain2man wrote:John Henry West really epitomized a certain flavor of hardcore that came out of the 90s.

My buddy Ben Merlis just co-wrote an article (well - first part of a three part article) for Please Kill Me about what he claims is an genre of punk that exists between punk & hardcore - which they are calling "1.5".

I'm not in full agreement with Ben over the necessity of this new label to describe what I've always just called "hardcore punk"....but I do feel like if you're going to go all scholarly about musical taxonomy - that the bands of the type that labels like Ebullition, Gravity, and Mountain released would be deserving of some sort of label.....there was definitely a distinct identity to those types of bands - both musically and aesthetically.
captain2man

Postby the mean » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:53 pm

Sarah Kirsch was one of my favorite people and it's still hard to take that she is no longer with us. She leaves us with an incredible body of music to remember her by, though.

Loved JHW, played with and saw them a bunch of times in their short existence. Played with Jon Bower's current band last year, just before COVID hit. Cory was there as well. Lifelong friends. I wore my new JHW shirt on Sarah's birthday yesterday. It fits better than my 90s JHW XL.
the mean

Postby BAIN » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:58 pm

captain2man wrote:
BAIN wrote:

My buddy Ben Merlis just co-wrote an article (well - first part of a three part article) for Please Kill Me about what he claims is an genre of punk that exists between punk & hardcore - which they are calling "1.5".

I'm not in full agreement with Ben over the necessity of this new label to describe what I've always just called "hardcore punk"....but I do feel like if you're going to go all scholarly about musical taxonomy - that the bands of the type that labels like Ebullition, Gravity, and Mountain released would be deserving of some sort of label.....there was definitely a distinct identity to those types of bands - both musically and aesthetically.

It has and will always be emo to me. Ever since I heard Fuel for the first time in 1991 . These "emo" kids with their twinkly, easy to understand lyrics can take their indie pop with them. My genre was hijacked.
BAIN

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:45 pm

the mean wrote:Sarah Kirsch was one of my favorite people and it's still hard to take that she is no longer with us. She leaves us with an incredible body of music to remember her by, though.

Loved JHW, played with and saw them a bunch of times in their short existence. Played with Jon Bower's current band last year, just before COVID hit. Cory was there as well. Lifelong friends. I wore my new JHW shirt on Sarah's birthday yesterday. It fits better than my 90s JHW XL.

Jon Bower is a terrific dude. Scherzo crashed at my house once. Very cool people especially Marc Tamo who I still keep in touch with. JHW = Great shit!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:54 am

the mean wrote:Sarah Kirsch was one of my favorite people and it's still hard to take that she is no longer with us. She leaves us with an incredible body of music to remember her by, though.

This is the shirt you got recently? I wanted to put the link here since it seems to be still available and benefits a great cause.

https://badskulls.com/products/john-hen ... 5643980986
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby the mean » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:40 am

JGJR wrote:https://badskulls.com/products/john-henry-west?variant=39485643980986

Yes, that's the one.
the mean

Return to daghouse