Bootleg CDs (question for patient ot, maybe)

Bootleg CDs (question for patient ot, maybe)

Postby version sound » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:52 pm

So, copies of Samhain’s Final Descent are fairly plentiful on eBay and Discogs. Most of them seem to be the Plan 9 version, and a lot are either listed as new, or the seller has multiple copies. Being that Discogs lists a Russian bootleg of this release, it seems likely that a lot of these are in fact that bootleg. My question is: does it matter? If you master a CD from a CD, is there any difference between the two? Of course, I’m assuming that the bootleg was mastered from a CD and not shitty MP3s. I’m also assuming (hoping) that it wasn’t actually mastered from the eMagine CD, which is reportedly brickwalled.

Ideas? Suggestions?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Bootleg CDs (question for patient ot, maybe)

Postby gregpolard » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:16 pm

Depends on how much it costs for how much I'd care. The value of CD's being so low, I say it's probably worth the risk to just snag one.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:53 pm

Update: the eMagine CD has a very different track listing, so it definitely wasn’t mastered from that.

As to cost, around $15 shipped.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:25 am

gregpolard wrote:Depends on how much it costs for how much I'd care. The value of CD's being so low, I say it's probably worth the risk to just snag one.

You might want to check the prices for the Caroline/Plan 9 CD - a real one I mean. They go for around $50-60 right now.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:31 am

version sound wrote:So, copies of Samhain’s Final Descent are fairly plentiful on eBay and Discogs. Most of them seem to be the Plan 9 version, and a lot are either listed as new, or the seller has multiple copies. Being that Discogs lists a Russian bootleg of this release, it seems likely that a lot of these are in fact that bootleg. My question is: does it matter? If you master a CD from a CD, is there any difference between the two? Of course, I’m assuming that the bootleg was mastered from a CD and not shitty MP3s. I’m also assuming (hoping) that it wasn’t actually mastered from the eMagine CD, which is reportedly brickwalled.

Ideas? Suggestions?

I tend not to buy these things for a few reasons. #1 you never know what you will get and #2 I'd rather not give a penny to a bootlegger. I have ended up with some discs like this by accident in the past (usually due to a seller misrepresenting what they have either intentionally or ignorantly). Often the artwork looks like a bad scan but the audio could be fine or could be screwed up. If you are lucky the audio will be an exact disc image clone of the original. If you are unlucky the CD could have track indexing errors, glitches, etc and be impossible to make a secure, AccurateRip from.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:33 am

patient_ot wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Depends on how much it costs for how much I'd care. The value of CD's being so low, I say it's probably worth the risk to just snag one.

You might want to check the prices for the Caroline/Plan 9 CD - a real one I mean. They go for around $50-60 right now.

EDIT: CORRECTION. $50-60 was for Initium. FD is more like $30-40 for a real original CD, from what I can tell.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:46 am

patient_ot wrote:
patient_ot wrote:

EDIT: CORRECTION. $50-60 was for Initium. FD is more like $30-40 for a real original CD, from what I can tell.

Damn, I guess the buyer of mine got a good deal on the Initium CD for $36.
lewdd

Postby drew » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:08 pm

I have the SAMHAIN box set I wish I could watch the VHS again. Lol. I still love them. All of the records are great.
drew

Postby Markonomicon » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:00 pm

I have the RU boot of Final Descent.

It's in my "to sell" stack (which consists of about 600+ from my personal collection plus a few other collections I bought...probably another 600).
Markonomicon

Postby BAIN » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:53 am

Markonomicon wrote:I have the RU boot of Final Descent.

It's in my "to sell" stack (which consists of about 600+ from my personal collection plus a few other collections I bought...probably another 600).

want to share that list?
BAIN

Postby Markonomicon » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:41 pm

BAIN wrote:
Markonomicon wrote:I have the RU boot of Final Descent.

want to share that list?

I'm currently adding to it.

Gimme a week or so. :)
Markonomicon

Return to daghouse