Opener > Headliner

Opener > Headliner

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:09 pm

I was recently thinking about a thread from about a month ago when pedro said that he once saw The Freeze blow Social Distortion off the stage. Here are a few times where that happened at shows I saw:

Thursday opening for Rival Schools @ Maxwell's in 2001 (only time I ever saw HC style dancing and diving at Maxwell's was during Thursday's set; they were incredible that night)

Swiz opening for Soulside at Black Cat December 2014 - I love both bands a lot and I enjoyed Soulside, but I thought Soulside were much better in Philly a year later and Swiz's set just took my breath away; it was just hard to follow that kind of intensity
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Re: Opener > Headliner

Postby scannest » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:15 pm

The Doughboys every night they opened for ALL on that first ALL tour in '88.

I saw Smashing Pumpkins and Superchunk open for Urge Overkill at Maxwell's. Does that count?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:46 pm

Slowdive opening for Blur in November of 1991 - Went for Slowdive. Left before Blur was done.

Mercury Rev opening for ???? in March of 1993 - I don’t even remember the headliner.

Swervedriver opening for Smashing Pumpkins in November of 1993 - This one was really a draw. Both bands were fucking great.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:58 pm

Screaming Trees had the opening slot on a three-band show with My Bloody Valentine & Dinosaur Jr on a cold February night in 1992 at the Ritz in NYC and blew everyone off the stage (and this is coming from a huge MBV & Dino Jr fan).

Also....The Raconteurs absolutely obliterated any memory of my one & only time seeing Bob Dylan....this would be at the Nassau Coliseum around 2006, I guess (?).
captain2man

Postby target » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:01 pm

The Go-Gos opening for the Police at Ye Olde Capital Centre, 1982 or so
target

Postby target » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:02 pm

And Soul Asylum opening for Husker Du at the 930 club in the late 80s. Love Husker Du, and haven't listened to much Soul Asylum except for Made to Be Broken, but that night they were ON FIRE
target

Postby target » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:23 pm

Red Hot Chili Peppers opening for general public at
The Ontario theater. Early 80s
target

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:29 pm

Jul 10,1995 Roseland Ballroom, NYC. Motorhead opening for what was passing for Black Sabbath. And even Motorhead were unreasonably loud. Sabbath sucked it. No Geezer, only Tony Iommi. Snoozefest.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Marc M » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:31 am

At the Drive-in opening for Knapsack at the Troubadour in Hollywood. I loved Knapsack but ATDI were mindblowing that night.
Marc M

Postby captain2man » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:39 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Jul 10,1995 Roseland Ballroom, NYC. Motorhead opening for what was passing for Black Sabbath. And even Motorhead were unreasonably loud. Sabbath sucked it. No Geezer, only Tony Iommi. Snoozefest.

I was there. Morbid Angel opened. But I disagree about Sabbath. I believe that show was on their Cross Purposes tour - and Geezer WAS playing bass. It was Tony, Geezer, Tony Martin & Bobby Rondinelli (and Geoff Nicholls - who may have actually been on the stage rather than behind the curtain).

Not one of the better Tony Martin-era albums - but they were great that night.....Tony Martin able to sing both Ozzy & Dio songs rather well. I remember them sounding huge that night and on point....and the novelty of seeing them in a smaller, club-ish setting (relatively speaking for them anyway) was also pretty neat.

I also had many vodkas from across the street at the Russian Samovar....always my regular pre-Roseland stop (try the horseradish vodka for a true drinking experience).
captain2man

Postby jaybird » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:04 am

scannest wrote:The Doughboys every night they opened for ALL on that first ALL tour in '88.

I saw Smashing Pumpkins and Superchunk open for Urge Overkill at Maxwell's. Does that count?

I saw a couple of the shows on that tour... I wouldn't say the Doughboys blew ALL off the stage, but they were definitely every bit as good. Those were some amazing shows to see for sure.
jaybird

Postby scannest » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:39 am

jaybird wrote:I saw a couple of the shows on that tour... I wouldn't say the Doughboys blew ALL off the stage, but they were definitely every bit as good. Those were some amazing shows to see for sure.

Listen, ALL never played a bad show - but all the songs were from the first record which I have never liked all that much. And there was a weird vibe where people were expecting to hear a smattering of Descendents songs and they were not having it. So, it was kind of a down time for them while the Doughboys were just supercharged and exciting.
scannest

Postby jaybird » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:49 am

scannest wrote:
jaybird wrote:I saw a couple of the shows on that tour... I wouldn't say the Doughboys blew ALL off the stage, but they were definitely every bit as good. Those were some amazing shows to see for sure.

Listen, ALL never played a bad show - but all the songs were from the first record which I have never liked all that much. And there was a weird vibe where people were expecting to hear a smattering of Descendents songs and they were not having it. So, it was kind of a down time for them while the Doughboys were just supercharged and exciting.

I do remember they were very adamant about that... "this is a new band with new songs, so deal with it"... IIRC, they only did Coolidge as an encore the couple times I saw them with Dave. I don't think they started really working a lot of Descendents songs into their sets until Scott had been in the band for a few years, maybe around the Saves era... but looking back, I think the refusal to do any more than one Descendents song during those early tours was a pretty bold move... It would have been really easy to fall back on the crowd favorites.
jaybird

Postby scannest » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:36 am

Yup. They went from playing for 500 - 2,000 people as the Descendents were ending, to drawing...maybe 200 people on a good night on that first ALL tour. I remember a show with the Doughboys and the Mentors in NYC that couldn't have more than a couple dozen paid. Spirits were not great. They definitely worked some Descendents tunes into the mix with Scott. Plus, they had ALLROY'S REVENGE to support, which I love as much as any Descendents record.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:00 am

Yeah, I do remember them playing a few Descendents song with Scott too.

I remember seeing Rise Against open for Bad Religion and then a few years later Bad Religion opening for Rise Against. That is all I have to offer here.
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:44 pm

captain2man wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Jul 10,1995 Roseland Ballroom, NYC. Motorhead opening for what was passing for Black Sabbath. And even Motorhead were unreasonably loud. Sabbath sucked it. No Geezer, only Tony Iommi. Snoozefest.

I was there. Morbid Angel opened. But I disagree about Sabbath. I believe that show was on their Cross Purposes tour - and Geezer WAS playing bass. It was Tony, Geezer, Tony Martin & Bobby Rondinelli (and Geoff Nicholls - who may have actually been on the stage rather than behind the curtain).

Not one of the better Tony Martin-era albums - but they were great that night.....Tony Martin able to sing both Ozzy & Dio songs rather well. I remember them sounding huge that night and on point....and the novelty of seeing them in a smaller, club-ish setting (relatively speaking for them anyway) was also pretty neat.

I also had many vodkas from across the street at the Russian Samovar....always my regular pre-Roseland stop (try the horseradish vodka for a true drinking experience).

Morbid Angel didn't play that show. I think it was Tiamat (but I missed the opener). It was Sabbath's Forbidden tour. Their worst album. No hooks, nothing memorable. Awful album :cry:

I found the listing:

Jul 10 1995
New York City, NY
Roseland Ballroom
Support: Motorhead, Tiamat

https://www.black-sabbath.com/tourdates/for_tour/

But I LOVE 'Cross Purposes' LP. VERY good.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby drew » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:01 pm

Saw ALL twice with Scott at City Gardens and they did a 50/50 ‘Dents/ALL set both shows. They were awesome.
Only times I saw them.

Roseland ‘92(?) Pearl Jam plays first and absolutely smoke Smashing Pumpkins, who were boring, and Red Hot Chili Peppers, who were great playing these brand new tunes from BSSM but PJ blew them away that night.

Blue Oyster Cult opening for KISS in NJ ‘86. Lol :D I’m not and never was a Kiss fan and this was no-makeup for crissakes. BOC rocked the Meadowlands for 45 min. Then Kiss did the Kiss thing

A Tribe Called Quest- on what was their first “last show” at MSG in-the-round opening for Beastie Boys. ATVQ were on fire that night, just totally in sync and used that round stage to get the crowd moving.
BB- who I think were always hit-or-miss live got their asses handed to them

Soundgarden at the Beacon Theater ‘92 opening for DANZIG. Warrior Soul played first and were really good but only got 20 minutes. I saw Soundgarden a bunch of times but this was the first with Ben Shepard on Bass. From the opener of “Beyond The Wheel” they were amazing.
We split three songs into Danzig.......
drew

Postby captain2man » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:22 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Morbid Angel didn't play that show. I think it was Tiamat (but I missed the opener). It was Sabbath's Forbidden tour. Their worst album. No hooks, nothing memorable. Awful album :cry:

I found the listing:

Jul 10 1995
New York City, NY
Roseland Ballroom

I stand corrected! I had no idea that Sabbath played Roseland twice. I'm not sure I was even aware they played there on the Forbidden tour. Forbidden is the one Sabbath album I've never heard. Everyone says it sucks....I'm sure it does.

So - yeah - I found the listing for the show I was thinking of - 2/15/94 @ Roseland - and Motorhead/Morbid Angel definitely opened.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/black-sa ... 23983.html
captain2man

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:40 pm

captain2man wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Morbid Angel didn't play that show. I think it was Tiamat (but I missed the opener). It was Sabbath's Forbidden tour. Their worst album. No hooks, nothing memorable. Awful album :cry:

I found the listing:

Jul 10 1995
New York City, NY
Roseland Ballroom

I stand corrected! I had no idea that Sabbath played Roseland twice. I'm not sure I was even aware they played there on the Forbidden tour. Forbidden is the one Sabbath album I've never heard. Everyone says it sucks....I'm sure it does.

So - yeah - I found the listing for the show I was thinking of - 2/15/94 @ Roseland - and Motorhead/Morbid Angel definitely opened.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/black-sa ... 23983.html

They opened up with Time Machine when I saw them as well. Tony Martin did a good job singing Dio's stuff.
I was with Diane Farris (WFMU). We both had to put crunched up tissue in our ears during the Motorhead set. Unbearably loud. Painful.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:45 am

Drew's note reminded me that I saw that infamous tour where Faith No More and Soundgarden opened for Voivod. Now, I'm not gonna say that Voivod were no good. Let's call them 'not my cuppa tea' and leave it at that. But the openers were both pretty amazing.

I also got to see Jawbox open for Helmet at Maxwell's on that tour they did together (I wanna say it was '91?). Jawbox were amazing and Helmet was pretty boring despite a handful of great songs.
scannest

Postby drew » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:17 am

scannest wrote:Drew's note reminded me that I saw that infamous tour where Faith No More and Soundgarden opened for Voivod. Now, I'm not gonna say that Voivod were no good. Let's call them 'not my cuppa tea' and leave it at that. But the openers were both pretty amazing.

I also got to see Jawbox open for Helmet at Maxwell's on that tour they did together (I wanna say it was '91?). Jawbox were amazing and Helmet was pretty boring despite a handful of great songs.

1000%. Saw the FNM/Soundgarden/Voivod at the Ritz. I love VoiVod but we left right after they started.
That era was those bands coming in with something fresh and it made decade-old bands seem like dinosaurs from the 60’s
drew

Postby JGJR » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:31 am

drew wrote:Saw ALL twice with Scott at City Gardens and they did a 50/50 ‘Dents/ALL set both shows. They were awesome.
Only times I saw them.

A Tribe Called Quest- on what was their first “last show” at MSG in-the-round opening for Beastie Boys. ATVQ were on fire that night, just totally in sync and used that round stage to get the crowd moving.

Soundgarden at the Beacon Theater ‘92 opening for DANZIG. Warrior Soul played first and were really good but only got 20 minutes. I saw Soundgarden a bunch of times but this was the first with Ben Shepard on Bass. From the opener of “Beyond The Wheel” they were amazing.

ALL - I only saw them with Scott twice and that was in '92 opening for Bad Religion at City Gardens. I didn't see them again with Scott until the 2011 show at the TLA in Philly following Riot Fest East (it was the afterparty and Naked Raygun opened). The rest of the times (3 that I can count) were with Chad later in the '90s and I also saw the incredible '93 Descendents reunion show at City Gardenw with Milo filling in for Chad one night only.

I saw that Beasties/ACTQ bill as well, but in NJ. It was the EXACT opposite. I LOVE ACTQ, but they barely made any sort of impact and sounded awful in an admittedly awful sounding arena. I only saw them that one time and wish it was better. Beasties were incredible that night. I also agree that they were hit and miss, but fortunately 2 of the 3 times I saw them, they were en fuego. The last time was at MSG in 2004 (the show where I Fuckin' Shot That was filmed at iirc).

The time in the middle was in '99, also at Continental Airlines Arena, and they were really shaky that night. Great, great bill with Rage Against the Machine (who were kinda boring that night, too; only time I ever saw them), Black Star (who stole the entire show; they were great) and Bad Religion (always good but not their best set by a longshot). Beasties only got 45 minutes and never really got going IMO.
JGJR

Postby creature » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:59 am

Not that Come wasn't awesome on this particular night.... but opener Bettie Serveert was the star of the show on a fine evening in San Jose at Club Oasis in 1992. They simply rule.
creature

Postby scannest » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:04 pm

creature wrote:Not that Come wasn't awesome on this particular night.... but opener Bettie Serveert was the star of the show on a fine evening in San Jose at Club Oasis in 1992. They simply rule.

Wow, wasn't expecting any Bettie Serveert love here on the dagboard. They were on spinART in the late '90s when I had a good friend working there. So many nights watching those great bands - Serveert and Apples in Stereo and the Minders and Lotion and the Lilys and Clem Snide...thanks for the reminder. Gonna pull out my copy of 'Palomine'.

Oh, and every time I saw Velvet Crush open for someone they blew them away. And that includes multiple shows opening for OASIS and JESUS AND MARY CHAIN.
scannest

Postby jaybird » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:21 pm

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:Saw ALL twice with Scott at City Gardens and they did a 50/50 ‘Dents/ALL set both shows. They were awesome.
Only times I saw them.

ALL - I only saw them with Scott twice and that was in '92 opening for Bad Religion at City Gardens. I didn't see them again with Scott until the 2011 show at the TLA in Philly following Riot Fest East (it was the afterparty and Naked Raygun opened). The rest of the times (3 that I can count) were with Chad later in the '90s and I also saw the incredible '93 Descendents reunion show at City Gardenw with Milo filling in for Chad one night only.

I saw that Beasties/ACTQ bill as well, but in NJ. It was the EXACT opposite. I LOVE ACTQ, but they barely made any sort of impact and sounded awful in an admittedly awful sounding arena. I only saw them that one time and wish it was better. Beasties were incredible that night. I also agree that they were hit and miss, but fortunately 2 of the 3 times I saw them, they were en fuego. The last time was at MSG in 2004 (the show where I Fuckin' Shot That was filmed at iirc).

The time in the middle was in '99, also at Continental Airlines Arena, and they were really shaky that night. Great, great bill with Rage Against the Machine (who were kinda boring that night, too; only time I ever saw them), Black Star (who stole the entire show; they were great) and Bad Religion (always good but not their best set by a longshot). Beasties only got 45 minutes and never really got going IMO.

We were at a show together. I almost got into a fight with some douche in a red Phillies hat during ALL's set.

I hope it wasn't you.
jaybird

Postby drew » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:26 am

JGJR wrote:
Only times I saw them.

I saw that show....don't remember Black Star. RATM killed it, BR was ok..Beasties were meh.
drew

Postby version sound » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:27 pm

I saw NIN open for both JAMC and Peter Murphy in 1990.

They do not fit the category.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby pedro » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:21 pm

I saw Luscious Jackson and Bettie Serveert open for Superchunk at the old 9:30. While I wouldn’t say anyone blew anyone off the stage, Superchunk was my least favorite act of the night.

And put me in the camp of witnessing the Doughboys completely destroy ALL once and being much better than ALL the other time.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Knutsen » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:57 am

Doesn‘t really fit to the tread title, but my gf had 2 nice stories, that she came late to some shows, because she didn‘t care for the support band.
Faster Pussycat with opening band Guns and Roses
Suicidal Tendencies with opening band Rage against the Machine.
:lol:
Loser!
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby JGJR » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:02 am

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Only times I saw them.

We were at a show together. I almost got into a fight with some douche in a red Phillies hat during ALL's set.

I hope it wasn't you.

Most definitely not; lifelong Mets fan here; were you also at the afternoon festival/main show? ALL were great that night, huh? It was just like watching them with Scott in '92.

Anyway, sorry to hear, but glad a fight was avoided.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:56 pm

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Only times I saw them.

I hope it wasn't you.

Most definitely not; lifelong Mets fan here; were you also at the afternoon festival/main show? ALL were great that night, huh? It was just like watching them with Scott in '92.

Yeah, we got there at about 4;PM for the main show... I managed to catch parts of Hot Water Music, Samiam and X in the smaller tent toward the back of the complex, and then Dead Milkmen and Descendents
on the main stage.

It wasn't just me that almost got into the fight... it was a whole bunch of people who were ready to square off with a bunch of idiot Philly bros who were going out of their way to be stupid and pointlessly aggressive during ALL's set... the red-hat douche was the one I remember most clearly, but there were about 4 or 5 of them who were acting out their MMA/Backyard Wrestling fantasies.

Bill Burr was right.

jaybird

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:59 am

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Only times I saw them.

I hope it wasn't you.

Yeah, we got there at about 4;PM for the main show... I managed to catch parts of Hot Water Music, Samiam and X in the smaller tent toward the back of the complex, and then Dead Milkmen and Descendents
on the main stage.

It wasn't just me that almost got into the fight... it was a whole bunch of people who were ready to square off with a bunch of idiot Philly bros who were going out of their way to be stupid and pointlessly aggressive during ALL's set... the red-hat douche was the one I remember most clearly, but there were about 4 or 5 of them who were acting out their MMA/Backyard Wrestling fantasies.

Bill Burr was right.

I only caught 7 Seconds and X in the tent, but saw everyone from Naked Raygun on at the main stage (Plow United, Dead Milkmen, and Descendents, who headlined the whole thing).

I don't remember that incident at all or more likely was standing too far back to see it.

Also, that Burr video is so funny. And he's right about Joe Frazier!
JGJR

Return to daghouse