Stuff that needs a hard copy reissue, period

Stuff that needs a hard copy reissue, period

Postby version sound » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:58 pm

Of course, I prefer vinyl, but I’d probably buy (non-brickwalled) CDs.

I’ll start with the obvious stuff:

Samhain - all three records
Necros - all the T&G stuff
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Stuff that needs a hard copy reissue, period

Postby lewdd » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:17 pm

I sold my Samhain Initium CD for $36 on Discogs last August. I keep hearing that Necros stuff is supposed to get a reissue.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:16 pm

lewdd wrote:I sold my Samhain Initium CD for $36 on Discogs last August. I keep hearing that Necros stuff is supposed to get a reissue.

Plan 9/Caroline, I assume. The eMagine versions aren’t crazy expensive, but I’ve heard that they’re LOUD.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:12 pm

version sound wrote:Samhain - all three records

All THREE? No love for 'Final Descent'? I'll bet you never even knew it existed, eh?

I saw Samhain once. With Celtic Frost, MDC, Nuclear Assault, DOA and CCMF's.

It was legendary show where I lost a sneaker in the pit of around 600 people when MDC was doing 'Chicken Squawk'. Aquaman was there.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:02 am

Final Descent isn’t really a Samhain record (and at least one track is straight up Danzig), in that it was recorded after Rick Rubin convinced them to ditch Damien because he was going to make them big stars. I’m more interested in the three actual records that came out when they existed. FD never really grabbed me. It’s a little too much Samzig. Not quite Samhain and not quite Danzig.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:26 am

version sound wrote:Final Descent isn’t really a Samhain record (and at least one track is straight up Danzig), in that it was recorded after Rick Rubin convinced them to ditch Damien

AKA 'Pete' his real name who played in a band (called Braineaters) with a friend of mine. Good player. Fit the image.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:28 am

version sound wrote:Final Descent isn’t really a Samhain record (and at least one track is straight up Danzig), in that it was recorded after Rick Rubin convinced them to ditch Damien because he was going to make them big stars. I’m more interested in the three actual records that came out when they existed. FD never really grabbed me. It’s a little too much Samzig. Not quite Samhain and not quite Danzig.

I remember seeing ads for it back in the early '90s when it came out, but have never heard it (just Initium and NCF) nor did I know that backstory. I haven't listened to them in ages, though. I wonder if I'd like them more now since they never really grabbed me back in the day. I might do a mini-marathon the next time I'm in the mood for that sort of stuff.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:43 am

I had the box set and traded it into Siren a couple years ago when I wanted new records and didn't have the money to buy new records. I regret it bigtime (ditto for Misfits coffin box)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:57 am

gregpolard wrote:I had the box set and traded it into Siren a couple years ago when I wanted new records and didn't have the money to buy new records. I regret it bigtime (ditto for Misfits coffin box)

Glad I still have the OG coffin box set.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:44 pm

I kinda wish I would have bought the Samhain stuff on CD at least when it was easier to find. The non-remastered copies are indeed pricey. Then again, I'm not sure how often I'd actually play them.

Necros have been on my wishlist for a long time. I remember when copies of the first LP went for around $60 and I thought that was high. Now It's definitely more expensive than I would want to pay. Definitely deserves and official reissue. I've made do with a "bootleg" CD I purchased in the late 90s which may or may not have been released by the former members of the band.

I'd love to see official reissues of the first 2 Subhumans Canada albums but I doubt it will ever happen due to the people involved. Ditto for the Stains LP or anything OOP that was associated with SST.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:46 pm

Anything by The Gas; their stuff is not THAT difficult to find in the wild, but it would be nice if they were better known and their stuff in print again.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:54 pm

JGJR wrote:Anything by The Gas; their stuff is not THAT difficult to find in the wild, but it would be nice if they were better known and their stuff in print again.

Ding ding ding!!!! I love that first album and some of the early singles. I need to give the second album more listens. It just doesn't rock as much as the first one to my ears.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:55 pm

lewdd wrote:
JGJR wrote:Anything by The Gas; their stuff is not THAT difficult to find in the wild, but it would be nice if they were better known and their stuff in print again.

Ding ding ding!!!! I love that first album and some of the early singles. I need to give the second album more listens. It just doesn't rock as much as the first one to my ears.

I prefer the 1st Lp and go to it most often when I want to hear them, but I like the 2nd Lp as well. It's pretty stylistically similar, but not quite as great, from what I remember. I should pull it out.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:56 pm

patient_ot wrote:I kinda wish I would have bought the Samhain stuff on CD at least when it was easier to find. The non-remastered copies are indeed pricey. Then again, I'm not sure how often I'd actually play them.

Necros have been on my wishlist for a long time. I remember when copies of the first LP went for around $60 and I thought that was high. Now It's definitely more expensive than I would want to pay. Definitely deserves and official reissue. I've made do with a "bootleg" CD I purchased in the late 90s which may or may not have been released by the former members of the band.

I'd love to see official reissues of the first 2 Subhumans Canada albums but I doubt it will ever happen due to the people involved. Ditto for the Stains LP or anything OOP that was associated with SST.

The Stains reissue Lp is supposedly happening, is it not?

Ditto 100% on those Subhumans records, especially Incorrect Thoughts. I'd love to find it in any format. The re-recording of it called Same Thoughts, Different Day is also amazing (unlike most re-recorded albums IMO), but it would be nice to have the original version in print as well.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:58 pm

Samhain > Danzig
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:58 pm

JGJR wrote:
lewdd wrote:

I prefer the 1st Lp and go to it most often when I want to hear them, but I like the 2nd Lp as well. It's pretty stylistically similar, but not quite as great, from what I remember. I should pull it out.

2nd LP seemed to be slower tempo songs and maybe more reggae style songs too.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:20 pm

JGJR wrote:
The Stains reissue Lp is supposedly happening, is it not?

Ditto 100% on those Subhumans records, especially Incorrect Thoughts. I'd love to find it in any format. The re-recording of it called Same Thoughts, Different Day is also amazing (unlike most re-recorded albums IMO), but it would be nice to have the original version in print as well.

I'm very much out of touch with the current hc punk reissue scene, so I wouldn't know re: Stains.

I think the problem with IT is CD Presents is holding it hostage along with a bunch of other stuff. That's why the band re-recorded it, AFAIK.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:20 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Samhain > Danzig

100%

Some days, I prefer them to the Misfits.

I gave FD a relisten and liked it more than I remembered. I only ever had it in the box set, since I was out of (most) punk by 1990, so I definitely haven’t given it the time I’ve given the original three.

JGJR: Samhain fucking rules. People who like the Misfits and not Samhain baffle me, unless they are only into the earliest Ramones-based stuff. Misfits/Samhain/Danzig are all on the same continuum of Glenn’s (d)evolution over the years. If anything, Initium sounds more like trad Misfits than Earth AD.

Necros: I re-bought CFD for around $30 in the early ‘00s (and glad I did), but I would probably buy official reissues of all the T&G stuff.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:39 pm

patient_ot wrote:I think the problem with IT is CD Presents is holding it hostage along with a bunch of other stuff. That's why the band re-recorded it, AFAIK.

That's correct. Penelope Houston thought with the owner of CDP for years to get the Avengers stuff reissued properly and it finally happened only within the last 10 years or so.
JGJR

Postby tad ghostal » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:35 am

Danzig has mentioned reissuing the Samhain stuff for the a while now. Eerie says Glenn owns all the rights but there is a lot Danzig-related music that is not available and I don't know if that is intentional or if he just doesn't consider it a priority.

Regarding the Stains, Robert's ex popped up in the SST Facebook group a few months ago. According to her, Robert hated the record and didn't want it out there but Rudy and Ceasar were trying to go around him to get it released. I don't know if they resolved that or not.
tad ghostal

Postby JGJR » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:56 pm

Reptile House - Listen to the Powersoul; I'd happily go for a CD reissue or just the 12"; at least I think I have mp3s on an old hard drive.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:24 pm

JGJR wrote:Reptile House - Listen to the Powersoul; I'd happily go for a CD reissue or just the 12"; at least I think I have mp3s on an old hard drive.

While I agree, this one isn’t actually too expensive. I think I paid around $20 for mine not that long ago.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Sat May 01, 2021 9:11 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:Reptile House - Listen to the Powersoul; I'd happily go for a CD reissue or just the 12"; at least I think I have mp3s on an old hard drive.

While I agree, this one isn’t actually too expensive. I think I paid around $20 for mine not that long ago.

Prices seemed to have escalated a lot recently. I wish that were still the case that it's a $20 record.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri May 07, 2021 7:27 pm

Anything by Opal, specifically Early Recordings and Happy Nightmare Baby. I have a copy of the latter, but have been looking for the former for many years on either vinyl or CD.
JGJR

Postby neutral knieval » Sun May 09, 2021 12:43 am

anal cunt - fuckin a
neutral knieval

Postby the mean » Mon May 10, 2021 10:17 am

It's a shame that the Reason to Believe stuff is not easily available because it is so fucking good. There is some legal hangup that is preventing a reissue. Would love to see a double LP, including the 7" and demo. I have everything except the demo, but everyone should have a chance to buy at least the LP.
the mean

Postby gregpolard » Mon May 10, 2021 10:51 am

the mean wrote:It's a shame that the Reason to Believe stuff is not easily available because it is so fucking good. There is some legal hangup that is preventing a reissue. Would love to see a double LP, including the 7" and demo. I have everything except the demo, but everyone should have a chance to buy at least the LP.

What's the legal hangup? My understanding was that Rev was supposed to do it years ago but it just sat on the backburner.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby patient_ot » Mon May 10, 2021 12:34 pm

RE: Reason to Believe, I'd be up for that. I used to have the CD with the LP and 7'' tracks and I don't know what happened to it. I possibly lost it in a move many years ago or sold it at some point. Don't have it anymore and it's not particularly cheap or easy to find last time I checked.
patient_ot

Postby the mean » Mon May 10, 2021 1:13 pm

gregpolard wrote:
the mean wrote:It's a shame that the Reason to Believe stuff is not easily available because it is so fucking good. There is some legal hangup that is preventing a reissue. Would love to see a double LP, including the 7" and demo. I have everything except the demo, but everyone should have a chance to buy at least the LP.

What's the legal hangup? My understanding was that Rev was supposed to do it years ago but it just sat on the backburner.

I know someone that was going to reissue it with Big Frank, and he said an (unnamed) label was holding it up / not allowing it to happen.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:09 am

I just the prices for the Rain 12" and the 2007 reissue CD. Wowsers. I have heard (maybe on here) that a reissue is forthcoming or at least being planned?

https://www.discogs.com/Rain-La-Vache-Q ... ter/254784
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:05 pm

JGJR wrote:I just the prices for the Rain 12" and the 2007 reissue CD. Wowsers. I have heard (maybe on here) that a reissue is forthcoming or at least being planned?

https://www.discogs.com/Rain-La-Vache-Q ... ter/254784

Yikes. I'm glad I got that CD when I could. I really like it also. It's a shame they didn't record more.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:11 pm

I wish they would reissue The Honeymoon Suite by Butterfly Child on vinyl, but they won’t because I’m basically the only person who cares.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:47 pm

version sound wrote:I wish they would reissue The Honeymoon Suite by Butterfly Child on vinyl, but they won’t because I’m basically the only person who cares.

I heard some stuff by this band years ago and really liked it, but never got around to picking anything up. Would you say that is their best album?
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:07 pm

patient_ot wrote:
version sound wrote:I wish they would reissue The Honeymoon Suite by Butterfly Child on vinyl, but they won’t because I’m basically the only person who cares.

I heard some stuff by this band years ago and really liked it, but never got around to picking anything up. Would you say that is their best album?

I think it’s their best. Strangely enough, their next album Soft Explosives popped up on critics’ radars and got some praise. I found it largely uninteresting, which is kind of weird because I basically like everything else they ever recorded all the way back to early EPs and forward to their recent reunion record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:06 pm

The entire Didjits catalog.
FormerLurker

Postby drew » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:18 pm

7 Seconds- Praise and the comp tracks from the era. There is an LP’s worth of material that bridges some very interesting gaps in their career. And some great songs
drew

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:09 pm

LMK if you need me to send you the Praise vinyl
lewdd

Return to daghouse