CD era Releases That I'd Like to See on Vinyl

CD era Releases That I'd Like to See on Vinyl

Postby JGJR » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:01 pm

revisiting Shudder to Think's 50,000 B.C. recently has made me think of this topic. In addition to that record, what are some others you all want to see released on vinyl?

Cheap Trick - s/t (1997) preferably with a bonus 7" featuring the cover of The Move's "Brontosaurus"
Aimee Mann - Whatever
Jawbreaker - 4/30/96 (yeah yeah I know, but 100 copies isn't really a real release; this needs a proper reissue like The Last's Look Again, which finally came out for real last year; at least this came out on CD and is streaming, though, I think)
Ruth Ruth - Laughing Gallery and Are You My Friend? (full disclosure: the former was discussed as an idea between me and the guitarist for its 20th anniversary back in 2015, but unfortunately it never get off the ground)

I'm sure there are tons of others I'm just not thinking of now, so have at it. Again, please keep it to stuff that's either never been released on vinyl or was released in an ultra-limited quality and never reissued like that Jawbreaker live Lp. Otherwise, this thread could get really messy. Danke.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Re: CD era Releases That I'd Like to See on Vinyl

Postby version sound » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:24 pm

All of the Hungry Ghosts stuff and the first JP Shilo solo album.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Dinko » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:57 pm

Engine 88 - Snowman
Pond - Rock Collection
Boxer - The Hurt Process
Sordid Humor - Light Music for Dying People
The God Machine - One Last Laughter in a Place of Dying (yep, I'm cheating, but c'mon.)
The Sands - s/t (Belgian Band, I'd do nasty things for that one)
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby jaybird » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:30 pm

JGJR wrote:Ruth Ruth - Laughing Gallery and Are You My Friend? (full disclosure: the former was discussed as an idea between me and the guitarist for its 20th anniversary back in 2015, but unfortunately it never get off the ground).

Definitely. Was The Little Death ever released on vinyl? One of the best EPs ever.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:24 am

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:Ruth Ruth - Laughing Gallery and Are You My Friend? (full disclosure: the former was discussed as an idea between me and the guitarist for its 20th anniversary back in 2015, but unfortunately it never get off the ground).

Definitely. Was The Little Death ever released on vinyl? One of the best EPs ever.

Yes. It's a 10". I scored one off of Discogs a few years back. Most of the time, international sellers will have it, but on occasion, a cheap copy pops up that ships from the U.S. if you want to avoid high shipping rates. It wasn't on a major like their 1st 2 Lps (American and RCA, respectively) and is their only Epitaph release and of course, they've always pressed vinyl to the best of my knowledge or at least back in the '90s they were (not sure if there was a lull in the 2000s when they didn't for some releases, but I don't think so).

https://www.discogs.com/Ruth-Ruth-The-L ... se/2552710

There's one for $5.99 now. It ships from Japan, but that store has a branch here in New York, so I'd recommend contacting them to see if they could ship it from here somehow. Or just eat the $18 shipping.

"Julia You Have No Heartbeat" b/w "Jerome" was already released as a 7" (same recording as The Little Death, iirc). I've got one of those, too; found that one randomly at a record store in State College, PA many years back. I posted it on FB and I think the guitarist got in touch with me after that and so we became pals that way iirc.

https://www.discogs.com/Ruth-Ruth-Jerom ... se/3968881 (super easy and cheap to find, thankfully)

Hope that helps. I LOVE Ruth Ruth and concur that The Little Death is incredible.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:17 pm

Whoa thanks, will look into it.
jaybird

Postby Gary » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:24 pm

JGJR wrote:
Cheap Trick - s/t (1997) preferably with a bonus 7" featuring the cover of The Move's "Brontosaurus"

I'd imagine the Sub Pop version of that 7" is easy enough found,and for cheap.
I'd love a copy of that cd on lp though. Rockford too for that matter.
Gary

Postby the mean » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:27 pm

Abilene stuff is supposedly being released on vinyl, which would be rad.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:31 pm

Gary wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I know you're a bigger CT guy than pretty much anyone else on here, so thanks for reminding me what I had forgotten, namely that they had a Sub Pop 7" around then; forgot it was those 2 songs. I had the CD single. I think they were also on the Japanese version of the s/t '97 album, no?
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:31 am

Dischord should do the Happy Go Licky LP (they did CD only back in the 90s - yes I know it was on vinyl prior)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby patient_ot » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:37 am

I don't have much of a list here, mainly because I'm not fixated on getting everything "on vinyl". CD only era releases also have a tendency to be botched on vinyl IME, unless very particular steps are taken to make the record. Most of the time that doesn't happen, and the resulting release is very half-assed.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:56 pm

gregpolard wrote:Dischord should do the Happy Go Licky LP (they did CD only back in the 90s - yes I know it was on vinyl prior)

The vinyl version is much shorter, though - 6 songs versus the CD’s 21.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Gary » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:22 pm

JGJR wrote:
Gary wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I know you're a bigger CT guy than pretty much anyone else on here, so thanks for reminding me what I had forgotten, namely that they had a Sub Pop 7" around then; forgot it was those 2 songs. I had the CD single. I think they were also on the Japanese version of the s/t '97 album, no?

I think so,but I'm not sure. I have the cd and 7" singles so never had the need to find the japanese cd .
Gary

Return to daghouse