RSD 2021 Hates You

Re: RSD 2021 Hates You

Postby version sound » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:00 pm

I had the Fuck Christmas single in the 80s. It’s a novelty, more or less. It’s a decent song, but nothing you are going to spin a lot.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:09 pm

version sound wrote:I had the Fuck Christmas single in the 80s. It’s a novelty, more or less. It’s a decent song, but nothing you are going to spin a lot.

I know it well; just never had it on record; just a dub and I might've had the old Slash/WB (can't remember but part of the WB or Rhino disc from the early '90s with those songs (B-side is just the A-side with the naughty words bleeped iirc) added onto it, but I can't remember now.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby neutral knieval » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:37 pm

anyone get 'age of quarrel'?
neutral knieval

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:11 am

neutral knieval wrote:anyone get 'age of quarrel'?

Not until the 2nd drop on 7/17, no?

Actually, it looks like it got taken off due to the usual in-fighting. Get it together. Ugh.

https://www.punknews.org/article/74806/ ... -2021-list
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:21 am

JGJR wrote:

Actually, it looks like it got taken off due to the usual in-fighting. Get it together. Ugh.

I can't say I'm surprised. Profile was shady as hell and who knows was behind this RSD version. At one point both JJ and Harley were selling their own CD versions of the album also.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:24 am

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I can't say I'm surprised. Profile was shady as hell and who knows was behind this RSD version. At one point both JJ and Harley were selling their own CD versions of the album also.

I've never owned a vinyl copy. Even in the '90s, it was expensive and hard to find, though obviously that's much more the case now. I had the Profile CD with the 1st 2 albums and wish I still did because I don't think there's a decent vinyl version that is affordable. I could be wrong, though.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:35 am

JGJR wrote:
I've never owned a vinyl copy. Even in the '90s, it was expensive and hard to find, though obviously that's much more the case now. I had the Profile CD with the 1st 2 albums and wish I still did because I don't think there's a decent vinyl version that is affordable. I could be wrong, though.

I originally had the Another Planet 2 fer CD with Best Wishes. Then I lost that in a move or something, and years later I ended up buying a 2004 CD at a shop, which I think was one of the things Harley put out. It's basically a clone of the Another Planet CD with some extra tracks tacked on and different art/packaging. I don't think I'd trust any of the vinyl "reissues" that were done over the years. Old Rock Hotel LP copies are a lot more expensive now than they were just say 5 years ago.
patient_ot

Postby neutral knieval » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:29 pm

Some age of quarrels got out to canadian stores before getting pulled
neutral knieval

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:26 pm

I had AOQ on vinyl when it came out. I think I still have a version on CD around here somewhere, but I might have only held onto Before the Quarrel because AOQ itself is mad overrated.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:36 pm

neutral knieval wrote:Some age of quarrels got out to canadian stores before getting pulled

Looks like you're correct, but some even made it to LA. Who knows what'll happen, but this is way more complicated than I thought.

https://www.discogs.com/release/1911686 ... s#c2355094
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:27 am

I sold my Another Planet CD for $30 a year ago.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:49 am

lewdd wrote:I sold my Another Planet CD for $30 a year ago.

Cheapest copy on Discogs right now is $45.

I hope this pulled RSD LP doesn't send people overpaying for this. Looks like an in-house GZ cut pressed at MRP. In other words, nothing special at all.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:51 am

version sound wrote:I had AOQ on vinyl when it came out. I think I still have a version on CD around here somewhere, but I might have only held onto Before the Quarrel because AOQ itself is mad overrated.

Well, I think it's got a reputation for a reason, but part of that is due to so many NYHC bands not recording much more than a 7'' or demo.

I can't remember if I ever heard BTQ.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:33 pm

patient_ot wrote:
version sound wrote:I had AOQ on vinyl when it came out. I think I still have a version on CD around here somewhere, but I might have only held onto Before the Quarrel because AOQ itself is mad overrated.

Well, I think it's got a reputation for a reason, but part of that is due to so many NYHC bands not recording much more than a 7'' or demo.

I can't remember if I ever heard BTQ.

NYHC for me has always been early Agnostic Front (first EP and LP), Urban Waste, Cause for Alarm, The Abused, etc. Cro Mags had a lot of hype surrounding them, even before AOQ came out. I don’t know what I was expecting, but I was underwhelmed by it. It’s always felt a little too macho for me. If I want mid-80s NY metal punk, I’ll take Life of Dreams over AOQ any day. BTQ isn’t super different from AOQ, but it’s a little less polished and closer to straight hardcore, which I prefer.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FlexMyHead » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:35 pm

FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:49 am

patient_ot wrote:
lewdd wrote:I sold my Another Planet CD for $30 a year ago.

Cheapest copy on Discogs right now is $45.

I hope this pulled RSD LP doesn't send people overpaying for this. Looks like an in-house GZ cut pressed at MRP. In other words, nothing special at all.

I appreciate the info, but to be fair, the first "copy" I had when I was 16 was an nth-generation dubbed cassette with that album and other stuff on it and I listened to it tons. Plus, it STILL might be the cheapest way to get a decent physical copy given that even the CDs go for $ now. So, long story short, I should've held onto that AP CD even though I never liked the 2nd Lp.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:20 pm

JGJR wrote:
I appreciate the info, but to be fair, the first "copy" I had when I was 16 was an nth-generation dubbed cassette with that album and other stuff on it and I listened to it tons. Plus, it STILL might be the cheapest way to get a decent physical copy given that even the CDs go for $ now. So, long story short, I should've held onto that AP CD even though I never liked the 2nd Lp.

Yeah, tape dubs were common for old punk/hc stuff. Used trade tapes through the mail to hear stuff years back.

The second album is underrated I think. I didn't like it much at first but it grew on me. Compared to the first album, it sounds like Metallica or something so I can't see why people might have disliked it.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:46 pm

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Yeah, tape dubs were common for old punk/hc stuff. Used trade tapes through the mail to hear stuff years back.

The second album is underrated I think. I didn't like it much at first but it grew on me. Compared to the first album, it sounds like Metallica or something so I can't see why people might have disliked it.

I just don't think Harley should ever sing publicly. I can't take his vocals on it. The music is pretty decent thrash, but...

Yes to tape dubs, so grateful for them in the old days; I traded a ton in the early '90s mainly via MRR but other sources, too, and got into so much stuff that way. I certainly didn't have much $ for records then because I was in high school and spent whatever I had on records and tapes.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:14 pm

A Baltimore record shop I follow on IG has the RSD AOQ, so obviously whatever cease and desist happened wasn’t very effective.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:19 pm

version sound wrote:A Baltimore record shop I follow on IG has the RSD AOQ, so obviously whatever cease and desist happened wasn’t very effective.

https://www.punknews.org/article/75074/ ... old-at-rsd

My guess is they don't own the rights and cease and desist got shot down pretty quickly.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:21 pm

version sound wrote:A Baltimore record shop I follow on IG has the RSD AOQ, so obviously whatever cease and desist happened wasn’t very effective.

Celebrated Summer? Great store. In any case, that is excellent news. I hope to get one on Saturday.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:50 pm

JGJR wrote:

Celebrated Summer? Great store. In any case, that is excellent news. I hope to get one on Saturday.

Yup. Seems like really cool shop. I’d take a field trip there if I wasn’t so terrified of Baltimore. My office (back when I was actually going in) is about halfway between Baltimore and DC, and most people I work with live in Baltimore or outside of it. Anyway, I know two people who had friends or family who were randomly killed in Baltimore in robberies. Sooooo, pass on that.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:36 am

version sound wrote:Yup. Seems like really cool shop. I’d take a field trip there if I wasn’t so terrified of Baltimore. My office (back when I was actually going in) is about halfway between Baltimore and DC, and most people I work with live in Baltimore or outside of it. Anyway, I know two people who had friends or family who were randomly killed in Baltimore in robberies. Sooooo, pass on that.

Baltimore has its decent areas and not so hot areas. Last time I was there was probably 2009 though. Even then working in their CBD (which was undergoing a revival at the time) you would hear stories about random violence. The same stuff happens in parts of the Metro DC area and other cities as well.

I will freely admit I was watching my back a lot during the few months I was there, probably moreso than some other "dangerous" areas I've lived in or been to. That includes both urban areas and sketchy backwater/truckstop towns.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:48 am

When I visit places that I think are sketchy to find a historic marker, mural, old club/theater, etc., I try to go real early in the morning before many people are out of the house.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:25 am

lewdd wrote:

https://www.punknews.org/article/75074/ ... old-at-rsd

My guess is they don't own the rights and cease and desist got shot down pretty quickly.

Harley's attorney sending a letter to Sony (who now own Profile) isn't going to do anything. Even if he had a court order to pull copies of those albums from distribution, an order like that can be hard to practically execute once the records are in the hands of stores.

My guess is Harley is trying to get rights to the album back through the Copyright Act. A lot of artists are trying to do this right now because recordings released in 1986 are hitting the 35 year old mark. The majors don't want to play ball and give those recordings up though.

See this article:

https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/news/d ... r-1125836/

Bigger problem for Harley is he will have to prove he wrote the entire album and former band members are probably going to want to fight about that.

In the meantime Sony will probably keep trying to reissue the album or licensing it if they want, have it on streaming/download platforms, etc.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:14 pm

patient_ot wrote:
version sound wrote:Yup. Seems like really cool shop. I’d take a field trip there if I wasn’t so terrified of Baltimore. My office (back when I was actually going in) is about halfway between Baltimore and DC, and most people I work with live in Baltimore or outside of it. Anyway, I know two people who had friends or family who were randomly killed in Baltimore in robberies. Sooooo, pass on that.

Baltimore has its decent areas and not so hot areas. Last time I was there was probably 2009 though. Even then working in their CBD (which was undergoing a revival at the time) you would hear stories about random violence. The same stuff happens in parts of the Metro DC area and other cities as well.

I will freely admit I was watching my back a lot during the few months I was there, probably moreso than some other "dangerous" areas I've lived in or been to. That includes both urban areas and sketchy backwater/truckstop towns.

TBH, I don’t know if Baltimore has “safe” areas anymore. The cases I heard about did not take place in “bad” parts of town. It has definitely gotten worse since 2009.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:26 pm

version sound wrote:
TBH, I don’t know if Baltimore has “safe” areas anymore. The cases I heard about did not take place in “bad” parts of town. It has definitely gotten worse since 2009.

It would not surprise me if things have gotten worse in Baltimore.

Random violence and shootings can happen anywhere though. You really need to know the area you are in. I live in an inner-ring suburb now and crime here isn't as bad as some places, but still a thing.

A few years ago, the nightclub next door to my building had a shooting incident. Some shady characters tried to get into the club and were turned away due to the dress code. This was a small club that catered to an older, diverse after work crowd. After they were turned away the characters came back with automatic weapons and sprayed the front of the club while people were standing outside. The club eventually had to be closed and the place was demoed and now we have a Starbucks there. There are still incidents nearby though. A sports bar 1 mile away from where I live has had several shootings, so I won't set foot in there, even for take out food.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:59 am

Bought AOQ like a dummy. Joint Custody has a bunch if anyone is looking for one.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:33 am

I think the only things I may buy are Heartbreakers LP, Miles Davis Milestones LP, and Jerry Dammers demo 7". Will see what the prices settle down to next week, and how many other things I can sell this weekend.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:39 pm

Is the Heartbreakers UK or US? Didn’t see it at JC.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:44 pm

version sound wrote:Is the Heartbreakers UK or US? Didn’t see it at JC.

https://www.discogs.com/Heartbreakers-L ... e/19486291 (UK, Europe, & US)
JGJR

Postby version sound » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:46 pm

JGJR wrote:

On further investigation, it was pushed back in the US until 7/30.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:37 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

On further investigation, it was pushed back in the US until 7/30.

Thanks; odd then that there's already someone selling it in the U.S. on Discogs. I wonder how they got a copy.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/19 ... ted+States
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:28 pm

I wasn't able to go in the AM, but I only had a few things that I was interested in. I do want that Heartbreakers record, I will need to remember to look around for it on 7/30.

Newbury had a copy of Alcatrazz's Born Innocent LP but way overpriced at almost $50 so I grabbed the CD. I did get the Young Fresh Felllow Toxic Youth (an RSD from 2020 for $15 so that was a good deal. I picked up some other random stuff while there. Grabbing the MSG and Ramones one off Discogs now as there are reasonably priced ones there for the taking!
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby Gary » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:52 pm

Got what i knew of and wanted

Rory Gallagher
Heartbreakers
Crass
and because it was there,Cro Mags
Gary

Postby earthdog70 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:25 pm

earthdog70

Postby lewdd » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:27 pm

earthdog70 wrote:More details on Thunders release:

http://www.jungle-records.net/index.php ... 77-masters

:bag:

fucking governments screwing more shit up
lewdd

Postby scannest » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:13 am

I want to hear that Ramones show as the setlist isn't the same old same old, but it's been floating around as a bootleg forever. I'll find a d/l of it soon enough.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:04 am

scannest wrote:I want to hear that Ramones show as the setlist isn't the same old same old, but it's been floating around as a bootleg forever. I'll find a d/l of it soon enough.

Same; haven't heard the boot, but I've come to realize over time that '78-'81 (what I call their power-pop period) is my favorite era, so that setlist is much more interesting to me than the 90 million variations of their '76-'77 setlists out there.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:38 am

Another successful RSD in the books for me

I got the scandalous Cro Mags "Age Of Quarrel" LP & my #1 want, Tad "Inhaler"
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:08 pm

I just ordered the Miles Davis Champions LP
lewdd

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:11 pm

Did anyone get the Wire RSD vinyl release? The band is making it available via the website starting on 7/30. However it looks like is going for around $100 on average on Discogs. I can get the same music on CD for around $20 so don't think I'm going to pony up that much more bread for the records. :roll:
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:14 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Did anyone get the Wire RSD vinyl release? The band is making it available via the website starting on 7/30. However it looks like is going for around $100 on average on Discogs. I can get the same music on CD for around $20 so don't think I'm going to pony up that much more bread for the records. :roll:

This thing?

https://www.discogs.com/Wire-PF456-Delu ... e/19111171

I'd just wait for them to put it up on the site or get the Read and Burn CDs if you don't already have 'em.
JGJR

Re: RSD Sez “F#ck You, Ya Damn Sucker”

Postby lewdd » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:35 pm

jaybird wrote:Picked up the Wipers, Buzzcocks, 'Mats and Brainiac LPs... I thought the Tales of Terror reissue LP was on the list, but I guess that was UK only... they pretty much have to do a US version at some point, right?

What do you think of that Buzzcocks album? I'm on the fence about buying it.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:40 pm

lewdd

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:02 pm

Oh nice! I want the Rob Dickinson 2xLp and maybe the Life Aquatic soundtrack.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:13 am

Wow. What an underwhelming list. Bad for my soul, but good for my wallet :lol:
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:51 am

Maybe the Verve releases by Louis Armstrong and Charlie Parker
lewdd

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:16 am

Everybody is raving about the "found mixes" of LAMF that came out on vinyl for RSD. Apparently it goes for big bucks at the moment, but there will be a CD release soon.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Re: RSD Sez “F#ck You, Ya Damn Sucker”

Postby jaybird » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:24 am

lewdd wrote:
jaybird wrote:Picked up the Wipers, Buzzcocks, 'Mats and Brainiac LPs... I thought the Tales of Terror reissue LP was on the list, but I guess that was UK only... they pretty much have to do a US version at some point, right?

What do you think of that Buzzcocks album? I'm on the fence about buying it.

It's interesting... both Steve's voices are considerably gruffer and deeper and the guitars are dirtier and a bit more upfront in the mix than on the original releases... overall, it sounds like it was a "recorded live in studio" thing like a Peel session record or that DBL "Quick Hits" record from a couple years ago I guess. The hot pink vinyl is sexy. I picked it up mostly on a whim, but I don't regret buying it.

jaybird

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse