RSD 2021 Hates You

RSD 2021 Hates You

Postby version sound » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:36 pm

Last edited by version sound on Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: RSD Sez “F#ck You, Ya Damn Sucker”

Postby lewdd » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:42 pm

The Clash - If Music Could Talk 2LP- what is this?
The Doors - Morrison Hotel Sessions 2LP - I have the CDs from the 50th anniversary reissue. Will have to see if it is worthwhile to get on vinyl too.
Buzzcocks - A Different Compilation 2LP - I have the single LP so I wonder what is on the other LP
Miles Davis - Champions - I will have to listen to the Jack Johnson Sessions to determine if I need this or not
Fear - The Record with bonus 7" and stencil - can't believe that they want 100 pounds for this on Rough Trade
Heartbreakers - LAMF - The Found '77 Masters - how many versions of this recording exist?
Replacements - PTMM Outtakes LP - not sure I need this as I think this stuff is on the last reissue
Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks 2LP 50th Anniversary Edition - I may have to grab this
The Selecter - Live in Coventry 1979 LP - may need to get this
Chicago/The Blues/Today! 3LP - may need to get this
Rough Guide to Booze & Blues - need to look into this
Rough Guide to Blues Behind Bars - need to look into this
Rough Guide to Gamblin & Ramblin Blues - need to look into this

Lots of other interesting releases. This may be the best list I have seen for RSD in quite sometime.
lewdd

Postby pedro » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:41 am

lewdd wrote:The Clash - If Music Could Talk 2LP- what is this?
Buzzcocks - A Different Compilation 2LP - I have the single LP so I wonder what is on the other LP

The Clash record could be this: https://www.discogs.com/The-Clash-If-Mu ... se/3558551

Those interviews are readily available on different bootlegs. I assume they are the interviews where Joe talks about them being too English for the USA and to American for the Brits, Mick talks about Sandinista! being a perfect record to listen to in bits an pieces over a year in research station, Paul talks about the influence of reggae on him as a bassist and Topper talks about how he lied about playing in the Temptations to join the band. The songs are all on Sandinista!

I thank Jah everyday I don’t feel the need to own every Buzzcocks comp out there. If there is one band that has way too many comps out there, even of the original era, it’s them.

Oh and fuck Lee Ving. He’s free to do whatever he wants in private, but I am just not into that kind of thing.
Hello.
pedro

Postby drew » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:13 am

The Flaming Lips- Soft Bulletin: sessions & B-sides.... I think this was the best era of the Lips and I would want anything else even the scraps from this period.
drew

Postby lewdd » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:28 am

Sony seems to be scraping the bottom of the barrel if they need to reissue that as a RSD release by The Clash.
lewdd

Postby jaybird » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:28 am

Definitely wanna snag the Wipers, Brainiac, Wasted Youth and Tales of Terror re-issues
jaybird

Postby neutral knieval » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:39 am

neutral knieval

Postby gregpolard » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:47 am

From a cursory look, this is one of the better lineups in recent times.

I wouldn't mind grabbing:

Engine Kid box set
RATM live album
Mats rarities
Tad "Inhaler"
Negative Approach "Tied Down demos"
both Police live sets

I'm sure there's more. :o
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:01 am

lewdd wrote:Sony seems to be scraping the bottom of the barrel if they need to reissue that as a RSD release by The Clash.

I remember when Sound System and Hits Back were released Mick said something like they will be the last re-issues with the band's involvement.

Of course minds can be changed and record labels can do some stupid shit.
Hello.
pedro

Postby lewdd » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:27 am

pedro wrote:
lewdd wrote:Sony seems to be scraping the bottom of the barrel if they need to reissue that as a RSD release by The Clash.

I remember when Sound System and Hits Back were released Mick said something like they will be the last re-issues with the band's involvement.

Of course minds can be changed and record labels can do some stupid shit.

Sound System is the best sounding CDs of The Clash IMO as is the Hits Back 2LP. Both top notch and worthy of last releases ever.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:39 am

Did you guys look at this one? £100 (so that’s about $130, I think) for the album, the Fuck Christmas single, and a FEAR stencil. WHAT????? This is the most ridiculous price I’ve seen on any set in recent memory.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby pedro » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:46 am

version sound wrote:Did you guys look at this one? £100 (so that’s about $130, I think) for the album, the Fuck Christmas single, and a FEAR stencil. WHAT????? This is the most ridiculous price I’ve seen on any set in recent memory.

Me wrote:Oh and fuck Lee Ving. He’s free to do whatever he wants in private, but I am just not into that kind of thing.
Hello.
pedro

Postby version sound » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:49 am

lewdd wrote:The Clash - If Music Could Talk 2LP- what is this?

If Music Could Talk was a promo album released by The Clash in 1981, featuring interviews with all four members (Paul, Mick, Joe and Topper), conducted by long time band associate, Kosmo Vinyl, interspersed with music from the (as then) recently released Sandinista triple album. Until now, the album has never had a full release. Available across x 2 LP’s and pressed on 180g vinyl, the 2021 Record Store limited edition reproduces the original interview audio, as well as the full length tracks from the album (using the 2012 audio). The front cover features a photo of Augusto Cesar Sandino - the Nicaraguan anti-imperialist leader and forebearer to the country’s Sandinista movement who in turn provided the inspiration for the album – and a Pennie Smith photo on the reverse. Brand new artwork and liner notes come from Kosmo Vinyl. £1 from the retail price of each copy will be donated to War Child.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:41 am

pedro wrote:
version sound wrote:Did you guys look at this one? £100 (so that’s about $130, I think) for the album, the Fuck Christmas single, and a FEAR stencil. WHAT????? This is the most ridiculous price I’ve seen on any set in recent memory.

Me wrote:Oh and fuck Lee Ving. He’s free to do whatever he wants in private, but I am just not into that kind of thing.

Sorry, I missed that. I don’t think Lee even has anything to do with it. I know he re-recorded that entire album, so I’m guessing that he doesn’t have the rights and probably doesn’t make any money from it. I think Slash (aka Warner) would be the ones responsible for this. It’s almost like RSD is just a complete cash grab.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:37 am

version sound wrote:

Did you guys look at this one? £100 (so that’s about $130, I think) for the album, the Fuck Christmas single, and a FEAR stencil. WHAT????? This is the most ridiculous price I’ve seen on any set in recent memory.

I'm glad I have a nice copy I bought in the '90s for $4.99 so funk dat.

That said, I am interested in the following releases:

First drop:
Wipers - Youth of America deluxe double Lp
The Police - Live Boston 1979 Lp
Negative Approach - Tied Down demos Lp

Second drop:
Heartbreakers - L.A.M.F. Found '77 Masters Lp
V/A - The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou soundtrack Lp
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:39 am

version sound wrote: The front cover features a photo of Augusto Cesar Sandino - the Nicaraguan anti-imperialist leader and forebearer to the country’s Sandinista movement who in turn provided the inspiration for the album

The lyric in "Washington Bullets" about no interference from America became deeply ironic a few years after they released it, huh, given the whole Iran-Contra affair, etc.?
Last edited by JGJR on Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:52 am

version sound wrote:
pedro wrote:

Sorry, I missed that. I don’t think Lee even has anything to do with it. I know he re-recorded that entire album, so I’m guessing that he doesn’t have the rights and probably doesn’t make any money from it. I think Slash (aka Warner) would be the ones responsible for this. It’s almost like RSD is just a complete cash grab.

Side story on this. Earthdog and I went to a festival in Hartford years ago called 2000 Tons of TNT that was mostly some Oi! bands (Bruisers, Warriors, Anti-Nowhere League, etc), but had Negative Approach, the Meatmen, and was supposed to have Fear. Well, as story has it, Dave Grohl had a studio opening pop up and Ving cancelled his show at the festival so he could go re-record The Record at Grohl's studio. I have a pic of someone from the festival that had a plain white t-shirt with "Fuck Lee Ving" hand written with a black Sharpie on the back of the shirt.
lewdd

Postby the mean » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:17 pm

If you don't already own this, it should be a must on your list:
https://recordstoreday.co.uk/releases/r ... of-terror/
the mean

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:21 pm

Ok finally got to comb thru this:

Albert Collins
Echo & The Bunnymen (I know this is the same as the DVD)
Gruntruck
MSG Live 1980
Wasted Youth-Reagan's In
Triumph-Allied Forces-(Want the live show, picture disc-not so much)
Heartbreakers-lost 77
Lillingtons-(Have the CD-I doubt I will see a copy if only 641)
Ramones-Live in Australia
Lou Reed-Set The Twlight Reeling (Not sure about the tracklist)

:arrow:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby drew » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:03 am

gregpolard wrote:From a cursory look, this is one of the better lineups in recent times.

both Police live sets

The 2nd concert on that set from Atl. was a VHS in the 80’s. I watched the hell outta that tape. Lol. I used to have a cassette boot of the ‘79 Boston show and about 20 of their first show at CBGB
drew

Postby JGJR » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:35 am

drew wrote:
gregpolard wrote:From a cursory look, this is one of the better lineups in recent times.

both Police live sets

The 2nd concert on that set from Atl. was a VHS in the 80’s. I watched the hell outta that tape. Lol. I used to have a cassette boot of the ‘79 Boston show and about 20 of their first show at CBGB

I first heard it when the 2 CD set came out in the mid '90s and tbh I listened to the '79 show way more. It's so good.
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:27 pm

I saw The Police ones, and like JGJR, I have the 2 CD set. It looks like the Atlanta show was remastered while the Boston one was not? I really wish they could have put out a live show that wasn't released previously in some other format. There's got to be unreleased shows in the vault. Dammit Sting! :lol:
earthdog70

Postby lewdd » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:40 am

anyone buy any of these today. i see a handful of them on discogs for $80-$100 so i will wait for them to come back to reality
lewdd

Postby version sound » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:57 am

The only thing I care about is the Neon Christ.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:06 pm

Remastered rarities. With unreleased linear notes faithfully restored in an old new package.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby jaybird » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:19 am

Picked up the Wipers, Buzzcocks, 'Mats and Brainiac LPs... I thought the Tales of Terror reissue LP was on the list, but I guess that was UK only... they pretty much have to do a US version at some point, right?
jaybird

Postby lewdd » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:50 am

I put some things on my Discogs wantlist yesterday and ended up having 80+ listing in the daily email update they send with items on my wantlist.

jaybird, how much were the buzzcocks and the mats albums? It will help me figure out a decent price to pay on Discogs should I pursue those two items.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:50 am

jaybird wrote:Picked up the Wipers, Buzzcocks, 'Mats and Brainiac LPs... I thought the Tales of Terror reissue LP was on the list, but I guess that was UK only... they pretty much have to do a US version at some point, right?

Good scores! I only really wanted the Wipers. Some stuff came up yesterday, so I couldn't get it, but I found it on Discogs earlier today for way less than I was expecting to pay (lower than retail).

I was thinking about the Police and Negative Approach releases, too. The NA seems the toughest to find out of all of those. Did any of you get one?

Oh and here you go. All require international shipping, but if you really want it...

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/19108765?ev=rb
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:51 am

lewdd wrote:anyone buy any of these today. i see a handful of them on discogs for $80-$100 so i will wait for them to come back to reality

Which release are you talking about? The Police? Something else?
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:25 pm

lewdd wrote:I put some things on my Discogs wantlist yesterday and ended up having 80+ listing in the daily email update they send with items on my wantlist.

jaybird, how much were the buzzcocks and the mats albums? It will help me figure out a decent price to pay on Discogs should I pursue those two items.

The Buzzcocks was the spendiest, like $50... the 'Mats was like $27... the shop I go to offers a 15% RSD discount though so they were both a bit cheaper.
jaybird

Postby lewdd » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:44 pm

thanks, jaybird

JGJR, Buzzcocks, Chicago Blues Today and a few others were really high priced initially yesterday. Prices seemed to have come down.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:34 pm

Just ordered these on Discogs

Chicago/The Blues/Today! 3LP
Rough Guide to Booze & Blues
Rough Guide to Blues Behind Bars
Rough Guide to Gamblin & Ramblin Blues
Replacements - PTMM Outtakes LP
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:41 am

I went hog wild - no regrets

Engine Kid "Everything Left Inside" Box Set
The Wipers "Youth of America" 2LP
The Replacements "The Pleasure's All Yours : Pleased To Meet Me Outtakes & Alternates" LP
Rage Against The Machine "The Battle Of Mexico City" 2LP
The Police "Live! Volume 1 Boston 1979" 2LP
The Police "Live! Volume 2 Atlanta 1983" 2LP

I also grabbed "Dear 23" by the Posies on CD in the bargain bin to throw in the car, so now I have it on LP and CD.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:51 am

I went out on Sunday and picked up the 2x LP re-issue of The Who's FACE DANCES. Was looking for the Steve Wynn two disc comp, but it wasn't in stock at my local store.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:08 pm

http://www.sirenrecords.com and go to the disocgs link

They have all their leftovers up. Anyone looking for the Wipers one, they have a couple copies.

Free shipping over $10
gregpolard

Postby drew » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:46 pm

scannest wrote:I went out on Sunday and picked up the 2x LP re-issue of The Who's FACE DANCES. Was looking for the Steve Wynn two disc comp, but it wasn't in stock at my local store.

Anything else on there? I never loved that one, to me it has four good songs but a cool live show would be nice.......
drew

Postby scannest » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:19 am

drew wrote:Anything else on there? I never loved that one, to me it has four good songs but a cool live show would be nice.......

I think it's highly underrated. Sure, the production is very un-Who like. But I think the songwriting is pretty stellar and Daltrey never sounded better.
The bonus disc has 4 live tracks from that German TV show they filmed at the time (Rockpalast). The other side is outtakes/demos, which were all CD extras in the past (I think).
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:47 am

gregpolard wrote:I went hog wild - no regrets

The Replacements "The Pleasure's All Yours : Pleased To Meet Me Outtakes & Alternates" LP

I also grabbed "Dear 23" by the Posies on CD in the bargain bin to throw in the car, so now I have it on LP and CD.

Is that Rage release a live album?
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:06 am

lewdd wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I went hog wild - no regrets

Is that Rage release a live album?

Yep! Live from Mexico City in 1999
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:21 am

Thanks. I would prefer studio cuts of several of those songs on vinyl.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:04 pm

I got this (Peter Holsapple/Chris Stamey's Our Back Pages) as a Father's Day gift and also picked up the Wipers Youth of America deluxe edition reissue as well.

https://www.discogs.com/Holsapple-Stame ... e/19129519
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:58 pm

I got the Albert Collins and Iggy Pop ones. They had the Beastie Boys Some Old Bullshit from last year's Black Friday on sale so grabbed that too.

Haven't listened to it yet but what a backing band on Iggy's Live at the Channel record :shock:
earthdog70

Postby lewdd » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:03 pm

lewdd

Re: RSD 2021 Hates You

Postby version sound » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:06 pm

So, did anyone get the £100 Fear set?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:08 pm

It is a July release for RSD and now only 36 pounds
lewdd

Postby drew » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:56 pm

earthdog70 wrote:I got the Albert Collins and Iggy Pop ones. They had the Beastie Boys Some Old Bullshit from last year's Black Friday on sale so grabbed that too.

Haven't listened to it yet but what a backing band on Iggy's Live at the Channel record :shock:

Is that Iggy Live the show from the “King Biscuit Flower Hour” cd? I remember liking it but don’t remember who plays on it?
drew

Postby version sound » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:41 pm

lewdd wrote:It is a July release for RSD and now only 36 pounds

Only $33.99 in the god blessed US of A:

https://www.roughtrade.com/us/fear/the-record

I’d be tempted if I liked it more.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:57 pm

I have the 2007 Rhino reissue LP so I will probably pass too.

I should sell my red vinyl More Beer 2LP. Its been going for about $80.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:17 am

lewdd wrote:I have the 2007 Rhino reissue LP so I will probably pass too.

I should sell my red vinyl More Beer 2LP. Its been going for about $80.

I wish I'd kept my original of More Beer because I see that one go for $30-$40 now if not more, though I listen to that one far less than The Record (thankfully, I still have my '80s pressing). They started to become a parody of themselves by then lyrically (there are a couple of really hideous songs on there), but I can't deny that the music/playing is great.

All that said, I am, after looking closer at the listing, tempted by the new Run Out Groove edition partly because I've never had the Xmas single and because they typically do a good job with their reissues. I have a Morphine album they did and it's excellent soundwise.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:29 am

drew wrote:
earthdog70 wrote:I got the Albert Collins and Iggy Pop ones. They had the Beastie Boys Some Old Bullshit from last year's Black Friday on sale so grabbed that too.

Is that Iggy Live the show from the “King Biscuit Flower Hour” cd? I remember liking it but don’t remember who plays on it?

Not sure w/out looking it up if it's the same show as that King Biscuit Flower Hour disc, but the new RSD Channel '88 set has Alvin Gibbs on bass, Andy McCoy on guitar and a drummer whose name I forget, but he's played with Psychedelic Furs and many others.
JGJR

Next

Return to daghouse