RSD 2021 Hates You

Re: RSD 2021 Hates You

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:46 am

I saw Tales of Terror. Cool band.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:17 am

scannest wrote:Everybody is raving about the "found mixes" of LAMF that came out on vinyl for RSD. Apparently it goes for big bucks at the moment, but there will be a CD release soon.

It seemed like it was barely distributed here even though it was supposed to come out on 7/31 (several weeks after the 2nd RSD drop iirc), so I hope it gets (and what it needs is) a general release on vinyl. I had the '94 version on CD and it's fine, but would love to hear this new one.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:40 am

As for the Buzzcocks, I ordered a copy from someone on Discogs after I listened to my FLAC files and it didn't sound as bad as I thought it did when it came out on CD years ago.

LAMF - I heard a rumor that it will be reissued on vinyl early next year in USA so I am not buying an expensive copy right now.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:59 am

lewdd wrote:LAMF - I heard a rumor that it will be reissued on vinyl early next year in USA so I am not buying an expensive copy right now.

Really hope you're right; exciting news if so. But yeah, I'm holding off until I see it in a store or for a lower price, etc.
JGJR

Postby Gary » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:01 pm

I thought that heartbreakers was rsd first,on coloured vinyl.
Gary

Postby lewdd » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:12 pm

Gary wrote:I thought that heartbreakers was rsd first,on coloured vinyl.

Your European market received it for RSD. I'm still not sure that it has made it into full distribution in the USA yet as there are not many USA sellers with it on Discogs.

I'm assuming the reissue will be on black vinyl or some other color with a larger production quantity if/when it happens.

I have yet to see any flac or even mp3 files available for it yet either.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:13 pm

lewdd wrote:
Gary wrote:I thought that heartbreakers was rsd first,on coloured vinyl.

Your European market received it for RSD. I'm still not sure that it has made it into full distribution in the USA yet as there are not many USA sellers with it on Discogs.

I'm assuming the reissue will be on black vinyl or some other color with a larger production quantity if/when it happens.

I have yet to see any flac or even mp3 files available for it yet either.

From your keyboard to divine ears.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:15 am

It just occurred to me that RSD Black Friday is coming up. What are you all planning to pick up? Rob Dickinson's Fresh Wine for the Horses is what I'm looking forward to the most and the only thing I'm really after, but I wouldn't mind that Gun Club live Lp or a few other things, too.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:11 am

The Freeze LP reissue
Pink Lincolns 7"
maybe the Weird Al Ramones cover single

That's about all I'm interested in from that list... not sure if I'm interested enough to sit out in the cold at 6 AM waiting for doors to open at my usual spot though...
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:11 pm

jaybird wrote:The Freeze LP reissue
Pink Lincolns 7"

That's about all I'm interested in from that list... not sure if I'm interested enough to sit out in the cold at 6 AM waiting for doors to open at my usual spot though...

I wouldn't do that, either, especially considering a lot of stuff is available all weekend and then on Monday at Bull Moose and other spots on Discogs.
JGJR

Postby drew » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:19 am

Nothing I need but definitely some cool stuff coming.
Would love that Rob Dickinson LP
Aerosmith 1971 rehearsal session.......I know they are mining the basement but it would be interesting to check this out.
The Gun Club live ‘81
drew

Postby jaybird » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:07 am

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:The Freeze LP reissue
Pink Lincolns 7"

I wouldn't do that, either, especially considering a lot of stuff is available all weekend and then on Monday at Bull Moose and other spots on Discogs.

Yeah, the whole waiting-out-in-the-cold-at-an-ungodly-hour is just a routine that a good friend of mine does for RSD every year... if the list is interesting and there's lots of stuff I'm after, I'll go and hang out with him, but for just two or three releases, I'll just look online after the fact, like you say.
jaybird

Postby Gary » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:20 am

Aerosmith is the only thing I even have a mild interest in.
Gary

Postby gregpolard » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:46 pm

Finally got the Negative Approach "Tied Down Demos 83" LP from this past summer RSD. Still very easy to find.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:58 pm

gregpolard wrote:Finally got the Negative Approach "Tied Down Demos 83" LP from this past summer RSD. Still very easy to find.

I put an offer on it, but the seller never responded. I'll pick it up eventually, but the 7" repress is more of priority for sure. While we're on the topic of HC RSD stuff, you know this, but a few weeks back, I found a leftover copy of The Cro-Mags AOQ reissue at Main Street Music in Manayunk. I had the Profile 2-fer CD, but had never owned a vinyl copy before.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:28 am

Been seeing this making the rounds this morning... pretty good/funny rant:

Low Fidelity: Adele, Record Store Day and Why You’ll Take CDs and Like It!

Plenty has been said over the last decade about how the independent music scene’s long-standing love of vinyl had kept the format alive when the mainstream all but abandoned it, only to have that get thrown back in their faces once the major labels caught wind of it thanks to the proliferation of social media and wieners in Red Hook with ironic mustaches and organic window herb gardens — and probably a fucking unicycle — splattering themselves with the records they more than likely only took out as show pieces during wine tastings. The majors then slowly returned, like an abusive boyfriend trying to weasel his way back into to your life once you’ve finally gotten to a good place, so that he can fuck it all up again.

And the breaking point was the bricks used to pave the road to hell: Record Store Day.

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2021/11 ... 4.facebook

I'd also note that COVID also played a part in all the supply chain fuckery mentioned in the article, and the fact that a huge pressing plant that did a significant percentage of vinyl manufacturing burned down like a year ago, but the main point - majors pumping out garbage Fleetwood Mac re-releases on 180 gram vinyl - is a huge part of why RSD has been sucking for while now.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:37 pm

So what did you all get? I managed to find both of my wants, Rob Dickinson's Fresh Wine for the Horses and the Life Aquatic soundtrack. I also got a bunch of $1.99 CDs and a cassette, too. Princeton Record Exchange is da best!

JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:06 pm

JGJR wrote:So what did you all get? I managed to find both of my wants, Rob Dickinson's Fresh Wine for the Horses and the Life Aquatic soundtrack. I also got a bunch of $1.99 CDs and a cassette, too. Princeton Record Exchange is da best!

That Shudder to Think is awful, but the Struggle disk is real good.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:36 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:So what did you all get? I managed to find both of my wants, Rob Dickinson's Fresh Wine for the Horses and the Life Aquatic soundtrack. I also got a bunch of $1.99 CDs and a cassette, too. Princeton Record Exchange is da best!

That Shudder to Think is awful, but the Struggle disk is real good.

I was trying to remember if I ever owned any Struggle records back in the '90s, but I remember them well, the songs, "Fuck You Pig" patch, etc. 99% sure I had the split 7" with Undertow after doing some digging.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:07 am

Nothing for Black Friday RSD for me. List was weak.

I did grab the other two Laughing Hyenas vinyl reissues I was missing at Siren Records yesterday though. So I did still celebrate.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:04 am

JGJR wrote:So what did you all get?

Nothing RSD specific, but found a reissue of Mr. T Experience ...And The Women Who Love Them on gray vinyl for $15
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:39 am

jaybird wrote:

Nothing RSD specific, but found a reissue of Mr. T Experience ...And The Women Who Love Them on gray vinyl for $15

Never heard it. Is it closer to the earlier stuff that I like such as "So Long Sucker," "Fill in the Blanks," etc., or like the later stuff (which I don't care for at all). I have this theory that pop-punk was incredible pre-Dookie and Smash and awful afterwards until the Razorcake/Marked Men type stuf in the 2000s.

I know that opinion is very "old man yells at clouds" these days, but I stand by it and own it.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:48 am

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:

Never heard it. Is it closer to the earlier stuff that I like such as "So Long Sucker," "Fill in the Blanks," etc., or like the later stuff (which I don't care for at all). I have this theory that pop-punk was incredible pre-Dookie and Smash and awful afterwards until the Razorcake/Marked Men type stuf in the 2000s.

I know that opinion is very "old man yells at clouds" these days, but I stand by it and own it.

It's from 1994, so after Jon Von left, one of the earlier records of "the later stuff". My favorite albums of theirs are the earlier ones, mostly on the strength of Jon's lead-guitar playing. I always preferred them overall as a 4-piece, but I still think Dr. Frank's overall songwriting and lyricism were top notch all the way through their career. I do tend to agree with your overall pop-punk thesis though... I loved all that Lookout!-type stuff in the early 90s, but that whole genre of music became quickly over-saturated with approximately a zillion shitty Screeching Weasel/Queers clones.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:12 pm

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:

It's from 1994, so after Jon Von left, one of the earlier records of "the later stuff". My favorite albums of theirs are the earlier ones, mostly on the strength of Jon's lead-guitar playing. I always preferred them overall as a 4-piece, but I still think Dr. Frank's overall songwriting and lyricism were top notch all the way through their career. I do tend to agree with your overall pop-punk thesis though... I loved all that Lookout!-type stuff in the early 90s, but that whole genre of music became quickly over-saturated with approximately a zillion shitty Screeching Weasel/Queers clones.

100%, not to mention the Green Day/Blink clones that came later. And yes, I prefer the Jon Von era, too.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:32 pm

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:

100%, not to mention the Green Day/Blink clones that came later. And yes, I prefer the Jon Von era, too.

I'd actually lump Blink in with the Screeching Weasel-clone description... for as much as those guys used to claim to be influenced by The Descendents, I never really heard any of that influence in their music... always heard much more SW in their sound than anything else.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:44 pm

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:

I'd actually lump Blink in with the Screeching Weasel-clone description... for as much as those guys used to claim to be influenced by The Descendents, I never really heard any of that influence in their music... always heard much more SW in their sound than anything else.

I think that's most apparent in the snotty vocals (which is their weakest part IMO). Their music sounds like knockoff/2nd/3rd rate Dag Nasty (same goes for The Offspring, though I enjoy them more) to these ears, but I have to admit that "What's My Age Again?" is a jam.
JGJR

Postby drew » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:40 pm

Two questions:

What is that Shudder to think CD?

Struggle? I mean, cmon....

Very solid haul tho. :D
drew

Postby JGJR » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:40 am

drew wrote:

Two questions:

Thanks and that's a good question. I didn't realize the title and cover are a bit obscured by the hype sticker, but it's the "X-French Tee Shirt" CD single. I had the 7" and would like to have it again, but for now, the CD will do nicely. I played it a few times yesterday.

https://www.discogs.com/release/5397415 ... -Tee-Shirt

What's wrong with Struggle? i only had the split 7" with Undertow back in the day (think I mentioned that above or in another thread recently) and I don't know the rest of that material despite it being in every distro bin back in the day, but for $1.99, why not, right? Their message is still certainly timely today.
JGJR

Postby drew » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:14 pm

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:

Two questions:

Thanks and that's a good question. I didn't realize the title and cover are a bit obscured by the hype sticker, but it's the "X-French Tee Shirt" CD single. I had the 7" and would like to have it again, but for now, the CD will do nicely. I played it a few times yesterday.

https://www.discogs.com/release/5397415 ... -Tee-Shirt

What's wrong with Struggle? i only had the split 7" with Undertow back in the day (think I mentioned that above or in another thread recently) and I don't know the rest of that material despite it being in every distro bin back in the day, but for $1.99, why not, right? Their message is still certainly timely today.

Can’t front on $2. But damn, they are shitty.
drew

Previous

Return to daghouse