SPITBOY Complete Discography

SPITBOY Complete Discography

Postby scannest » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:05 am

I'm sure some folks here are interested. Entire SPITBOY discography coming on 2x LP from Don Giovanni:

https://dongiovannirecords.limitedrun.c ... cts/698205

100% of the proceeds from the release will go to the National Women's Law Center.
Liner notes by Billie Joe Armstrong and Vique Simba.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Re: SPITBOY Complete Discography

Postby the mean » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:05 am

Saw / booked / played with this band so many times. Great people, great band. Was able to go see Michelle talk about her book and introduce herto my kids pre-COVID.

If you don't already own their stuff, you should purchase this.

the mean

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:07 am

Terrific band. Loved em 'back in the day'. Lotsa fun and lyrically right on.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:21 am

Nice scoop!

I would not mind grabbing this.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:28 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Terrific band. Loved em 'back in the day'. Lotsa fun and lyrically right on.

100% this. Love them, especially the "True Self Revealed" 12". That record rips and has lost none of its intensity. I like the 7"s and the split Lp with Los Crudos, too, but not quite as much. When I've listened to them in recent years, I couldn't help but notice that they had much more of a heavy post-punk edge than I remembered back in the day. I do own it all, some in various formats, I think, but I might get this anyway. I love Joe and Don Giovanni. They are doing the world a great service by bringing this stuff into the light again. I'm glad they're not being forgotten by the younger generations of punx.

I interviewed them back in 1994 when we booked them to play at my college and that was the only time I got to see them. They played with Citizen Fish, handed out lyric sheets as bands did occasionally back then, and I interviewed them after the show for my zine. One of my regrets is not publishing that interview, along with others with Assfactor 4 and Anchor (a great indie-pop band from NJ during that era) that I made layouts for and everything with photos, the whole bit. I want to put them out since apparently, that era is all the rage in the hardcore scene now, so hopefully, that can happen at some point. I also interviewed Los Crudos and Deadguy around that time ('94-'95), but sadly those are lost. I REALLY wish the world could see the Crudos interview; that was so much fun. I just have to scan that stuff to a prospective publisher and send it over; one of these days. No idea if they'll want it, but at least I'll try.

Also, LOVE that picture of you and Michelle, mean. I remember her well as a very righteous human in the brief time that I got to talk to her. I always have to remember that she goes by that name now and not Todd, though.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby drew » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:50 pm

Great band. I think I saw them live....or was it another band just like them? I don't remember....
drew

Postby JGJR » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:17 pm

drew wrote:Great band. I think I saw them live....or was it another band just like them? I don't remember....

They're a hard one to forget; I think they only came east once and I think the Citizen Fish/Spitoby tour stopped at ABC (had to, right?) iirc in addition to Hiltz's and the Cook College show I saw. My guess is you saw that ABC show.
JGJR

Postby BAIN » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:35 am

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:Great band. I think I saw them live....or was it another band just like them? I don't remember....

They're a hard one to forget; I think they only came east once and I think the Citizen Fish/Spitoby tour stopped at ABC (had to, right?) iirc in addition to Hiltz's and the Cook College show I saw. My guess is you saw that ABC show.

100% show at abc on that tour

pre-ordered this yesterday
BAIN

Postby captain2man » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:55 pm

This came in the mail yesterday and for the last 48 hours has been in constant rotation with the new Naked Raygun LP. Don Giovanni did a great job with the packaging and it's been so long since I broke out any of my Spitboy records that it was great to revisit these old tunes.

Having recently moved to Queens, which involves more night-time public transportation and walking the streets, and a wife who carries her keys between her fingers and with mace on her keychain - just in case - the lyrics take on a specific and significant meaning and are still relevant today. Adrienne's lyrics (I'm assuming she wrote the lyrics?) are direct without also being too on the nose and avoids all cliches. Lots of great hooks in the music as well.

I ordered Michelle's book along with it - so that should be a good read.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:41 am

captain2man wrote:This came in the mail yesterday and for the last 48 hours has been in constant rotation with the new Naked Raygun LP. Don Giovanni did a great job with the packaging and it's been so long since I broke out any of my Spitboy records that it was great to revisit these old tunes.

Having recently moved to Queens, which involves more night-time public transportation and walking the streets, and a wife who carries her keys between her fingers and with mace on her keychain - just in case - the lyrics take on a specific and significant meaning and are still relevant today. Adrienne's lyrics (I'm assuming she wrote the lyrics?) are direct without also being too on the nose and avoids all cliches. Lots of great hooks in the music as well.

I ordered Michelle's book along with it - so that should be a good read.

I'd be happy to send you an unpublished interview I did with them in 1994 if you're interested. I asked to review this and never heard back from DG, but either way, I really want to pick up a copy.
JGJR

Return to daghouse