Bands You Only Like One Album By

Re: Bands You Only Like One Album By

Postby lewdd » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:09 am

JGJR wrote:
lewdd wrote:Violent Femmes

A common misperception. I haven't heard all of their albums, but 3 (actually their 4th album) from 1988 is a GREAT album and very overlooked. Give it a chance.

I couldn't name a song that wasn't on the first LP other than "Ugly".
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:20 am

lewdd wrote:
JGJR wrote:

A common misperception. I haven't heard all of their albums, but 3 (actually their 4th album) from 1988 is a GREAT album and very overlooked. Give it a chance.

I couldn't name a song that wasn't on the first LP other than "Ugly".

I had the old CD version with that song and the much better "Gimme the Car" added to the original track listing. I think they were originally B-sides. Anyway, try that album.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:52 am

JGJR wrote:
I assume you mean this one? https://www.discogs.com/Joni-Mitchell-B ... se/2571066

Have you heard the 2020 version mentioned in the comments? Gray did that one, too. In any case, thanks. I like it quite a bit, but it's not Court and Spark. Not even close.

Yes, that's the one. I haven't heard the recut by Gray. Hoffman and Gray don't work together anymore after AcousTech closed.

Gray usually does great work on his own, but a lot depends on what sources he gets and how the record was pressed. I would expect that 2020 version to sound good, but I don't know much about it.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:14 pm

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:
I assume you mean this one? https://www.discogs.com/Joni-Mitchell-B ... se/2571066

Have you heard the 2020 version mentioned in the comments? Gray did that one, too. In any case, thanks. I like it quite a bit, but it's not Court and Spark. Not even close.

Yes, that's the one. I haven't heard the recut by Gray. Hoffman and Gray don't work together anymore after AcousTech closed.

Gray usually does great work on his own, but a lot depends on what sources he gets and how the record was pressed. I would expect that 2020 version to sound good, but I don't know much about it.

I'm asking because it seems like a much cheaper alternative to the 2007 version. The reviews are mostly good, too. https://www.discogs.com/release/1593923 ... s#c1992328
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:35 pm

JGJR wrote:I'm asking because it seems like a much cheaper alternative to the 2007 version. The reviews are mostly good, too. https://www.discogs.com/release/1593923 ... s#c1992328

Yeah, understandable. I think it would be a fairly low-risk purchase in this case.

My only potential reservation is whether tape was used or not. That we don't know. KG cuts from tape a lot, but there are instances where he can't because of tape condition or the label can't get the tape, tapes are lost, etc.

Take for example the KG/SH version of Moondance. That was cut from tape, but there are persistent rumors that the original tape was in such bad shape no one was going to handle it again after that. However, even if that is true, it does not rule out a 1:1 safety copy, or a very good hi-rez copy of the tape. Moondance is another situation where the KG/SH cut went OOP and KG recut it alone years later.

BTW, speaking of Blue, yesterday I had the chance to listen to the old DCC CD version of it on headphones. This was highly praised for a long time but I'm not sure after one listen if I like it better than the later HDCD remaster. In general the DCC stuff is often more heavily EQ'd in the midrange and bass area.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:47 pm

JGJR wrote:

Hallowed Ground is a very good album, but totally different in style from the debut, and I can't guarantee anyone would like it.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:52 pm

RE: Suicidal Tendencies, I think for me it's a case of not trying very hard with the later stuff. I've heard a few songs here and there, but nothing that grabbed me enough to check out the later stuff. A lot of hardcore punk bands that went the crossover/thrash metal hybrid route don't do it for me after a certain point.

Take Agnostic Front for example. The only studio album I care that much about is Victim in Pain. Cause for Alarm is pretty good, but not something I would put on regularly when I want to hear AF. I think the CFA and Liberty whatever songs sounded better on the Live at CBGB release.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:32 pm

I think Suicidal Tendencies have at least a strong LP worth of good songs after their first LP...and maybe a 2LP. But there is a lot of rubbage to sort through to get to those songs. That first album is probably good all the way through it which made it tougher for people to handle their other experiments on future releases.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:21 pm

How about Token Entry? Jaybird is a classic album that I liked right from the start. The follow up is pretty terrible IMHO. The first album is nowhere near as good as Jaybird, but okay.
patient_ot

Postby jaybird » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:47 pm

patient_ot wrote:How about Token Entry? Jaybird is a classic album that I liked right from the start. The follow up is pretty terrible IMHO. The first album is nowhere near as good as Jaybird, but okay.

Oddly enough, I have never heard this album.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:27 pm

patient_ot wrote:How about Token Entry? Jaybird is a classic album that I liked right from the start. The follow up is pretty terrible IMHO. The first album is nowhere near as good as Jaybird, but okay.

They'd be a great pick for the other thread (bands you only dislike one album by). I like the 1st Lp (from Beneath the Streets) just fine (the 2014 reissue I have could be a lot better, though; I think only the original is from the master, but don't quote me on that; it was lost for years, though), but I do agree that Jaybird is their best album. The 3rd Lp is indeed terrible except for one really great song ("Doing It Again"). I wish the rest of the album was more in that melodic almost power-pop type style rather than bad funk metal.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:39 am

Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.
She's got great songs sprinkled throughout her entire career to this day, but this is the only great record.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:04 am

scannest wrote:Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.
She's got great songs sprinkled throughout her entire career to this day, but this is the only great record.

She has other great albums, but I think they suffered in the production department, so people don't like them as much nowadays. The s/t album first released on Rough Trade was originally where she got all the critical acclaim, but there are some dated production choices on that album. The original version of Sweet Old World - same thing with the production, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent.
patient_ot

Postby captain2man » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:39 pm

patient_ot wrote:Hallowed Ground is a very good album, but totally different in style from the debut, and I can't guarantee anyone would like it.

Hallowed Ground IS the best Femmes record. An amazing piece of work. Brian Ritchie's bass playing on this record is so good I want to cut my hands off.
captain2man

Previous

Return to daghouse