THE MISFITS

THE MISFITS

Postby gregpolard » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:44 pm

scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: THE MISFITS

Postby version sound » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:18 pm

Fuck that motherfucker.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:31 pm

Yep. Complete human garbage.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:16 pm

Not shocking. He’s a notorious asshole.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby soulforce » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:11 am

I'm so glad this article/thread didn't turn out to be on Glenn, which I was kinda expecting when I clicked the link.
I couldn't care less about this guy (Graves) and his "Misfits".
soulforce

Postby pedro » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:44 am

I swear, if Dr. Chad is a Proud Boy I will never listen to the Glenn-less Misfits again.
Hello.
pedro

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:19 am

Not really the Misfits, anyway.
FormerLurker

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:52 am

wrote:I swear, if Dr. Chad is a Proud Boy I will never listen to the Glenn-less Misfits again.

oh?
Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:11 am

At least it’s clear now that “conservative punk” in Graves’ case just means run-of-the-mill racist shitbag.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby pedro » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:03 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
pedro wrote:I swear, if Dr. Chad is a Proud Boy I will never listen to the Glenn-less Misfits again.

oh?

You know what? I am going to go ahead boycott that shit anyway.
Hello.
pedro

Postby jaybird » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:12 am

I have never listened to Glenn-less Misfits, but even if I did, I wouldn't stop on account of the fact that Glenn's replacement voiced idiotic political views like 20 years after he was actually in the band... so whatever I guess.
jaybird

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:14 am

wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
wrote:I swear, if Dr. Chad is a Proud Boy I will never listen to the Glenn-less Misfits again.

oh?

You know what? I am going to go ahead boycott that shit anyway.

Who keeps writing this stuff?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:15 am

jaybird wrote:I have never listened to Glenn-less Misfits, but even if I did, I wouldn't stop on account of the fact that Glenn's replacement voiced idiotic political views like 20 years after he was actually in the band... so whatever I guess.

I guess we all have different levels of comfort with white supremacist fuckfaces. I never really listened to that nonsense anyway, so listening/not listening isn’t really an issue.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby pedro » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:43 am

As much as I have a soft spot for Dr. Chad, I have never listened to post-Glenn either, so I am going to buy a bunch of that stuff so I can burn it.

If I am going to boycott something I go all the way.
Hello.
pedro

Postby jaybird » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:48 am

version sound wrote:
jaybird wrote:I have never listened to Glenn-less Misfits, but even if I did, I wouldn't stop on account of the fact that Glenn's replacement voiced idiotic political views like 20 years after he was actually in the band... so whatever I guess.

I guess we all have different levels of comfort with white supremacist fuckfaces. I never really listened to that nonsense anyway, so listening/not listening isn’t really an issue.

I dunno, I just do not understand this impulse so many people have to retro-actively "cancel" writers/ musicians, etc. Like, I doubt very much any of the material this guy did with the Misfits has any sort of "white supremacist" angle - and I'm not even going to argue about whether he played a gig for a Proud Boys gathering makes him an actual white supremacist or not - so I don't see why anyone would retro-actively disown a record you enjoyed because one of the people who played on it 20 years ago has idiotic opinions now.... But we've had this argument before about Exene, and there's no shortage of other artists we could have it about (Morrissey, Nugent, etc.) so again, whatever.
jaybird

Postby jaybird » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:02 am

FTR, Danzig has actually recorded (though never released) actual "white supremacist" themed songs... was he being descriptive or ironic here, or did he sincerely mean this?

Still though, even if he came out tomorrow and publicly went full Day of the Rope/1488, I'm not ever going to stop loving the Misfits.
jaybird

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:12 am

jaybird wrote:
version sound wrote:

I dunno, I just do not understand this impulse so many people have to retro-actively "cancel" writers/ musicians, etc. Like, I doubt very much any of the material this guy did with the Misfits has any sort of "white supremacist" angle - and I'm not even going to argue about whether he played a gig for a Proud Boys gathering makes him an actual white supremacist or not - so I don't see why anyone would retro-actively disown a record you enjoyed because one of the people who played on it 20 years ago has idiotic opinions now.... But we've had this argument before about Exene, and there's no shortage of other artists we could have it about (Morrissey, Nugent, etc.) so again, whatever.

It’s a moot point, since I never listened to him, but the article says that he JOINED the Proud Boys, he didn’t just plan to play a gig for them. He was one of the founders of “conservative punk,” so his political leanings are nothing new. To my mind, the fact that he joined a group that is actively white supremacist - not to mention cowardly motherfuckers who attack defenseless people in groups, just like the good old nazi skins - just confirms that (in his case) “conservative” was just code for racist before Trump made it ok to be an openly racist scumbag again. This is not something new. I find it hard to believe that he suddenly became a racist after his stint in the Misfits. To a group of people who actually still BUY music, it does mean something to choose not to support someone who is clearly a human shit sandwich. Not listening if you already own it won’t mean much to anyone else, but I can definitely see just not wanting to listen to someone who is confirmed human refuse.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby SamDBL » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:28 am

jaybird wrote:
version sound wrote:

Imo, it’s the convolution of the terms ‘white supremacy’ and ‘racist’ that plays heavily into this. I have never had a problem separating the art from the artist, even if they were serial killers, or whatever. However, I guess I respect that some people would have that line if the offense is egregious enough. Ok, if someone is an actual nazi and you can’t get that out of your tender little mind when you try to enjoy their art, fair enough. The problem occurs when so many people are being labeled as white supremacist nazis that the term has no fucking meaning any more. I mean, Gina Carano was just called a nazi on national television the other night. The founder of the proud boys (I can’t really even get a straight answer on what these guys are from any reliable source) is a black Cuban. And in fact there are a ton of people that aren’t white now being labeled as white supremacists. Or anyone that has thoughts on immigration, etc. And now this guy... he played a party and I have no idea of any of the other circumstances? How much he was to be paid, what his thoughts on the organization are, etc? I just can’t take these kinds of charges seriously. And to write, say, a musician on such flimsy terms seems silly to me. To each their own, I suppose. But I do think slandering people online with no real knowledge of the facts is kind of a dick move. And, as has been said a million times, eventually you’ll have written off every single artist you ever liked. Unless you arbitrarily break your own rules, of course. Aka the Ian MacKaye/guilty of being white effect.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:47 am

The Proud Boys are a bunch of violent morons for sure... but for a supposed "White Supremacist" organization, they sure do seem to have a lot of dudes in their ranks with a higher-than-average amount of melanin in their skin..

jaybird

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:50 am

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby jaybird » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:04 am

i just don't see how you can honestly call them "White Supremacists" when they have a lot of legitimately not-white people as members. I guess you can argue that the non-white members are either too dumb or deluded to understand the true intentions or basis of the group... but that's a bit of a problematic argument itself, isn't it? I think it's more honest and more accurate to say that they are a violent, right-wing/nationalist, perhaps even fascist group, but not necessarily "white-supremacist".... I mean, all that other shit is already bad enough. I agree they are definitely on the far-right end of the political spectrum, but in the larger context that Trump and the Republican party made the largest inroads with minority groups over the last 5 years than at any point in my lifetime, the fact that the Proud Boys evidently have some sort of appeal for their non-white members suggests to me that they are something considerably different than the neo-nazi/kkk organizations of say 20 years ago.
jaybird

Postby SamDBL » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:05 am

Lololol. Exactly my point. The splc has become of of the most untrustworthy sources on this stuff. They have listed Sam Harris and Jordan Peterson as alt right extremists. As well as Maajid Nawaz (until he successfully sued the shot out of them for millions of dollars). Total bullshit organization with zero credibility. And proves my point exactly. It’s hard to get an objective description of the proud boys. The fact that so many non white people are being labeled as white supremacists is actually hilarious to me. Total Monty python shit.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:18 am

Anyway, I think we can all agree that Michale Graves-era Misfits always was, and still is, crap.

Glad we could sort that out.
jaybird

Postby jaybird » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:21 am

SamDBL wrote:The fact that so many non white people are being labeled as white supremacists is actually hilarious to me. Total Monty python shit.

:lol:
jaybird

Return to daghouse