Pernice Brothers scoop

Pernice Brothers scoop

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:05 am

I doubt many will care about this, but I know that aside from myself, scannest and Stephen Egerton are fans. I contributed to this, which is a Bandcamp campaign to press their 2001 album The World Won't End on vinyl. I have the 2012 version mentioned, but I love this album and would buy another copy. What I'm really looking forward to is the prospect of later albums like 2005's Discover a Lovelier You pressed on vinyl for the first time and since this one met its goal in a day, I'm hoping it'll continue that way with the later records.

https://pernicebrothers.bandcamp.com/ca ... wont-end-2
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Re: Pernice Brothers scoop

Postby scannest » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:01 am

I celebrate the whole Bandcamp Vinyl Release thingy, but I won't be picking this up. I like my CD just fine.

Been getting back into CD's of late. Was very excited to find a copy of the Richard & Linda Thompson: HARD LUCK STORIES box set at Vintage Vinyl yesterday. And a slamming 5-CD Northern Soul compilation for 10 bucks (new)! Add in Volume 2 of the Neil Young Archives, and I've been spinning those silver metal circles a lot lately.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:19 am

Do you play them on a CD transport or a CD player?
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:46 am

scannest wrote:I celebrate the whole Bandcamp Vinyl Release thingy, but I won't be picking this up. I like my CD just fine.

Been getting back into CD's of late. Was very excited to find a copy of the Richard & Linda Thompson: HARD LUCK STORIES box set at Vintage Vinyl yesterday. And a slamming 5-CD Northern Soul compilation for 10 bucks (new)! Add in Volume 2 of the Neil Young Archives, and I've been spinning those silver metal circles a lot lately.

A friend played me selections from it (the Richard and Linda box) last fall and it is stunning. I'm a particularly big fan of I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight and Shoot Out the Lights, but don't know the other albums they made as well.

I like CDs, too. I just don't have the Pernice Brothers discs anymore, but they all sound fine and whatnot from what I remember. I did pick up a $1.99 pristine CD copy of Joe's soundtrack to his novel It Feels So Good When I Stop recently, though, so it's nice to have that one again.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:48 am

lewdd wrote:Do you play them on a CD transport or a CD player?

I just got a Sony DVD player that also plays CDs, cd-rs, et al. and it's stunning. I can hear things I wasn't able to before as it's particularly sensitive to brickwalled discs but also accentuates ones mastered really well, etc. I love my late '80s Onkyo and may keep it as a backup, though.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:54 pm

lewdd wrote:Do you play them on a CD transport or a CD player?

I play them in my car and my blu-ray player.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:04 pm

I spent more money than I probably should have on a CD transport. It sounds way better than the Sony 5 disc CD changer I had previously running thru the same system. CDs sound almost as good as vinyl thru it.

I think it is similar to the time 5+ years ago you told me to spend more than $200 on a turntable.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:36 pm

lewdd wrote:I spent more money than I probably should have on a CD transport. It sounds way better than the Sony 5 disc CD changer I had previously running thru the same system. CDs sound almost as good as vinyl thru it.

I think it is similar to the time 5+ years ago you told me to spend more than $200 on a turntable.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not even sure what a CD transport is. I'm intrigued, though. I've owned a 5-disc Technics CD changer and it was buggy, skipped all over the place, etc.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:55 pm

Of course, this is their sales pitch, but it does explain the difference.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/b ... ue%20sound.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:56 am

I was a big fan of the first three albums and still have the CDs. I heard some of the later stuff and liked it well enough but never got around to buying it. Not sure if I'll bother with this campaign as I hate preorders and there are too many other things taking priority for me right now.

RE: CD transports, all they are is a stripped down CDP with no DAC section. I see them as a marketing fad taking advantage of audiophilia nervosa more than anything else. The fact is, any disc spinner with a coax or optical digital output can be used as a transport. I often use my CDP that way, but it also works fine as a regular CDP too.

One thing I dislike about CD transports is the price and the fact that they often cannot properly decode a pre-emphasis CD. And when you're like me, with a very large CD collection, you want those discs to be properly decoded without even thinking out it.

The other thing is CDTs are no more reliable than a regular CDP. That is because virtually all CD drive mechs nowadays come from the same OEMs. Some companies will put a fancy metal plate over the drive to hide what it is even if you look under the hood, but it's the same type of $20 mech you get in a computer CD/DVD-ROM drive you can buy at Micro Center 99% of the time.

The last company to make really reliable, high end CD drive mechs was Philips, with their CD Pro transports that were used in jukeboxes and professional equipment. These are no longer made but deadstock is still being sold and some companies use them to in their products. Often anything that uses one is very expensive.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:58 am

scannest wrote:I celebrate the whole Bandcamp Vinyl Release thingy, but I won't be picking this up. I like my CD just fine.

I was thinking of getting that Richard and Linda box but after a number of people reported defective discs in it, I passed. I'll wait until the corrected batches start showing up down the line.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:59 am

JGJR wrote:
lewdd wrote:I spent more money than I probably should have on a CD transport. It sounds way better than the Sony 5 disc CD changer I had previously running thru the same system. CDs sound almost as good as vinyl thru it.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not even sure what a CD transport is. I'm intrigued, though. I've owned a 5-disc Technics CD changer and it was buggy, skipped all over the place, etc.

CD changers have always been problematic and most of them will eventually develop problems. The ones that use the cartridge systems can also scratch the shit out of CDs if you are not careful.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:54 pm

patient_ot wrote:I was a big fan of the first three albums and still have the CDs. I heard some of the later stuff and liked it well enough but never got around to buying it. Not sure if I'll bother with this campaign as I hate preorders and there are too many other things taking priority for me right now.

The 2nd and 3rd albums (The World Won't End and Yours, Mine, and Ours) are their best work. I had the CDs and now have the American Dust vinyl reissues from 2012 and 2015, respectively.

What I'm looking forward to the most in this campaign is Discover a Lovelier You being reissued on vinyl for the first time ever. I think a lot of folks overlook that one, but it is really underrated and great IMO. As for the two after that, they are good, but not quite on the same level as the 1st 4 IMO. 2019's comeback album Spread the Feeling is excellent as well.

I also do wish that Overcome by Happiness (their debut) was part of the reissue campaign since it's also never been on vinyl, but thankfully it's easy enough to find on CD for cheap (as are their other records; I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but I found a pristine CD copy of one of Joe's solo albums for $1.99 recently). My guess is that Joe and Joyce (label owner/manager/former policy assistant to someone in the White House now) just don't have the rights to it since it's the only Pernice Brothers record released on Sub Pop, but I'm not sure.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:13 am

I prefer his 2019 release SPREAD THE FEELING to anything else Joe has done. His got the purtiest voice in indie-rock and the songs on that one kill me.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:38 am

scannest wrote:I prefer his 2019 release SPREAD THE FEELING to anything else Joe has done. His got the purtiest voice in indie-rock and the songs on that one kill me.

Interesting, albeit kinda bold choice. I like it a lot, my favorite thing he's done since at least It Feels So Good When I Stop or Discover a Lovelier You if we're talking Pernice Brothers stuff exclusively. And yeah, tunes for days. I particularly like "Throw Me to the Lions" a ton.

But as I said before, I celebrate the entire catalog by and large, but I don't think I'll ever like anything he does as much as his early to mid 2000s records.
JGJR

Return to daghouse