My Bloody Valentine Scoop

My Bloody Valentine Scoop

Postby pedro » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:16 pm

I have spent the last 20 minutes trying to embed a tweet from mbv. No luck.

https://twitter.com/TheOfficialMBV/stat ... 2993619968

Apparently there is a new record in two days. I'm sure it will be $35-$40 and I am sure I will buy it. I'm a sucker.
Hello.
pedro

Re: My Bloody Valentine Scoop

Postby version sound » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:34 pm

Wasn’t the track playing on that from mbv? I hope I’m wrong, but I’m thinking that this might just be a repress of that record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby pedro » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:42 pm

version sound wrote:Wasn’t the track playing on that from mbv? I hope I’m wrong, but I’m thinking that this might just be a repress of that record.

The images appear to be a mish-mash of previous records, so maybe? Who knows? The only thing that is certain is we'll find out. Maybe.
Hello.
pedro

Postby version sound » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:03 pm

They’ve been claiming that they were working on a new EP since shortly after mbv came out, so hopefully that’s what this is, but knowing Kevin’s pattern of promising new music, then taking years (if not decades) to deliver, I’m not holding my breath.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:17 pm

Most of the internet thinks it’s their catalog being (re)released to streaming services. That would be pretty underwhelming, though it would be nice to have mbv and (all) the Creation singles streaming.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:07 am

version sound wrote:Most of the internet thinks it’s their catalog being (re)released to streaming services. That would be pretty underwhelming, though it would be nice to have mbv and (all) the Creation singles streaming.

Very underwhelming (though nice) considered how much that repress of Loveless goes for nowadays; I really wish they'd keep it in print or at least repress it.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:03 am

UPDATE: Not all that much to get excited about

https://pitchfork.com/news/my-bloody-va ... streaming/
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:00 am

It’s nice to have the Creation EPs streaming. It would be even nicer if they were being reissued on vinyl. This is good news for anyone who missed out on the last couple of rounds of reissues, since prices on those have gotten pretty crazy. Nothing really new for me, though.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:01 am

What a weird rollout

The deluxe and standard are the same price.

The deluxe is just a nicer sleeve it looks like. I ended up being able to snag the deluxe of the 2013 album and standard for the other two. For some reason the deluxe Isn’t Anything didn’t ship from the US so I’m not paying an extra $20 for it.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:16 am

gregpolard wrote:What a weird rollout

The deluxe is just a nicer sleeve it looks like. I ended up being able to snag the deluxe of the 2013 album and standard for the other two. For some reason the deluxe Isn’t Anything didn’t ship from the US so I’m not paying an extra $20 for it.

I was confused by that. “Deluxe” means a tip-on cover and heavier vinyl? Since I shelled out before, I didn’t have to spend any money today, so I guess that’s good. I already have three versions of Isn’t Anything on vinyl (and the Creation CD - I hated the remastered CD).

Edit: I wonder if the “deluxe” versions are leftovers from the MBV records runs...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby pedro » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:00 am

It seems to me the mbv does anything they possibly can to make it difficult to purchase their music. I was thinking about buying Isn't Anything on vinyl, but apparently they won't ship it to the US.

Feck 'em.
Hello.
pedro

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:14 am

pedro wrote:It seems to me the mbv does anything they possibly can to make it difficult to purchase their music. I was thinking about buying Isn't Anything on vinyl, but apparently they won't ship it to the US.

Feck 'em.

They will.

https://store.mybloodyvalentine.org/release/223060-my-bloody-valentine-isnt-anything
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby pedro » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:07 pm

version sound wrote:
pedro wrote:It seems to me the mbv does anything they possibly can to make it difficult to purchase their music. I was thinking about buying Isn't Anything on vinyl, but apparently they won't ship it to the US.

Feck 'em.

They will.

https://store.mybloodyvalentine.org/release/223060-my-bloody-valentine-isnt-anything

Thank you, but it is too late. Once I've fecked 'em they are fecked forever.

I have all the CDs. I'm good to go. I'm going to save my money for the new releases. If new releases never come, I can send my kid to college.
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:51 pm

version sound wrote:It’s nice to have the Creation EPs streaming. It would be even nicer if they were being reissued on vinyl. This is good news for anyone who missed out on the last couple of rounds of reissues, since prices on those have gotten pretty crazy.

This and it me; very welcome news.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:06 pm

Correction: the EPs are NOT streaming (not the whole comp, at least, a few individual ones are), at least not through Apple.

I did listen to Isn’t Anything and Loveless, though. IA is still much better. Everything on Loveless is good, but towards the end, it starts to feel a cobbled together collection of tracks rather than a cohesive album, and it always feels too long. I guess that’s what happens when you record at multiple studios over a couple of years.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:19 pm

gregpolard wrote:What a weird rollout

The deluxe is all analog. The “regular” versions are cut from hi-rez digital. This bolsters my hunch that the deluxe versions are the left over MBV Records stock. They seem to be gone from everywhere at this point.

UPDATE: Juno Records still has deluxe Loveless. I just snagged one for $37 shipped.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:56 am

Does Shields own his catalog? When Creation went out of businesses, anything they owned towards the end went to Sony. So it's possible Sony is clamping down on sales here and prohibiting streaming certain things as well.

I'll look into this stuff later in the month. I missed the boat on the last batch of vinyl reissues, but I don't really need them. I wouldn't buy MBV reissues cut from hi-rez digital because there is no point to that IMHO. I'll just listen to the albums and EPs on CD in that case.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:15 am

Apparently, he owns the catalog in the UK and possibly the rest of the world other than the US. Sony owns it in the US, which is why Domino won’t ship to the US.

Hi-rez digital can be good on vinyl. If done correctly, it should be better than a CD. People are still claiming that the OG vinyl mastered from a DAT is better than the all analog 2018 pressing. Different I can believe, but better? IDK, I think some people are just trying to keep the prices on OGs high.

When the 2 disc Loveless reissue came out in 2012, a lot of people raved about the disc that was mastered from a new analog master. Then it came out that the discs were mislabeled, and the one everyone was raving about being so analog and natural was actually the remaster from the DAT. People hear what they want to hear a lot of the time.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:47 am

version sound wrote:Apparently, he owns the catalog in the UK and possibly the rest of the world other than the US. Sony owns it in the US, which is why Domino won’t ship to the US.

Hi-rez digital can be good on vinyl. If done correctly, it should be better than a CD. People are still claiming that the OG vinyl mastered from a DAT is better than the all analog 2018 pressing. Different I can believe, but better? IDK, I think some people are just trying to keep the prices on OGs high.

When the 2 disc Loveless reissue came out in 2012, a lot of people raved about the disc that was mastered from a new analog master. Then it came out that the discs were mislabeled, and the one everyone was raving about being so analog and natural was actually the remaster from the DAT. People hear what they want to hear a lot of the time.

I've heard plenty of vinyl sourced from hi-rez and even standard 16 bit digital. The latter was common in the 80s. My experience is that hi-rez sourced vinyl has no real advantage over a CD unless the CD was mastered very poorly. In the case of MBV music on CD, none of the official Creation-era releases were poorly mastered, period.

Further, I have no need for digitally sourced vinyl reissues of albums I already own on some physical format. People tend to have wacky superstitions around vinyl that aren't grounded in reality. People often tend to be format fetishists over anything else.

If the deluxe vinyl dries up before I can make a purchase I might go for the 2xCD set since I meant to buy that anyway a long time ago and never did.

RE: early pressings of anything - the value often stays at a certain level even after an album is reissued. Mainly because there will always be certain collectors that want "the original" and won't accept anything else. It's not just with vinyl either. Look at what first pressing CDs and cassettes go for in the metal scene for some albums.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:53 pm

I pretty much agree with all of that. I have some records that were mastered from hi-rez digital. Generally, I bought them because I wanted to have them on vinyl because I prefer it based heavily on nostalgia. Some are different or better than available CDs, and that has everything to do with the mastering and/or sources used. The vinyl in the 50th Anniversary Forever Changes set sounds great, but it was mastered by Bruce Botnick, the original engineer, specifically for that set. I’ve had several other versions of this record on vinyl and CD, and the only thing that is as good is the MoFi SACD. But that release is definitely an exception. I already have the 2018 AAA vinyl of Loveless. I would be curious to hear it head to head with the new digital master and the 2012 remaster. I guess I could go ahead and compare the 2018 and the 2012. Maybe this weekend...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:18 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylReleases/ ... uxe_vinyl/

Not sure if this is an April Fools joke or what, but FYI.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:01 pm

JGJR wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylReleases/comments/mi14ze/juno_my_bloody_valentine_loveless_deluxe_vinyl/

Not sure if this is an April Fools joke or what, but FYI.

Yup. Cancelled. Not a biggie, since I already have the 2018 pressing, but I feel bad for those who suffered the same fate who don’t.
version sound

Postby version sound » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:29 pm

I DO have an OG IA on vinyl, which people also claim is better than the 2018 reissue (I have the “good” cut of that one too), so maybe I’ll do a head to head of those two as well...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:57 pm

Oh damn. No cancellation for me (yet)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:05 am

gregpolard wrote:Oh damn. No cancellation for me (yet)

If you ordered from the MBV website, I think you’re good. It was Juno UK that seem to have vastly oversold and are now cancelling orders. They were still selling the deluxe versions hours after everyone else had sold out, so the cancellation wasn’t a huge surprise.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby pedro » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:28 am

I can't believe there are issues buying mbv records. I am stunned.
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:51 am

At this point, I'm probably gonna forego the pre-orders and just hope that stores get these in when they come out.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:01 pm

JGJR wrote:At this point, I'm probably gonna forego the pre-orders and just hope that stores get these in when they come out.

Very unlikely, in the US, at least. Due to the rights issues, Domino will only be distributing mbv in the US.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:22 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:At this point, I'm probably gonna forego the pre-orders and just hope that stores get these in when they come out.

Very unlikely, in the US, at least. Due to the rights issues, Domino will only be distributing mbv in the US.

I meant stores that get in new imports regularly (both places like Rough Trade and smaller places, too) or are they cutting that off, too, not just mailorder? If so, such BS/garbage. I'm not going to pretend to understand all the legalese and other issues having to do with Creation being bought out by Sony and whatnot that keeps Loveless from being in print on vinyl regularly and why Domino can't distribute it here, but it is really frustrating for fans.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:47 pm

Good question. I don’t think that Domino will supply stores in the US, period. My understanding is that Kevin hates Sony for licensing IA and Loveless to Plain without his involvement, and he won’t deal with them at all at this point. Your best bet might end up being Amazon UK or Germany. Juno is usually very reliable and shipping is reasonable. Hopefully, it will be possible to buy from them without the order being cancelled when there is more stock available.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:02 pm

version sound wrote:Good question. I don’t think that Domino will supply stores in the US, period. My understanding is that Kevin hates Sony for licensing IA and Loveless to Plain without his involvement, and he won’t deal with them at all at this point. Your best bet might end up being Amazon UK or Germany. Juno is usually very reliable and shipping is reasonable. Hopefully, it will be possible to buy from them without the order being cancelled when there is more stock available.

I just don't wanna pay those shipping prices, honestly, but if I have to, well I have to. I appreciate the heads up. Was Juno shipping from here in the U.S.?
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:58 pm

Under $10, which is cheap AF these days. If the UK or Euro Amazons get them, that’s likely to be the only place with cheaper shipping, though I haven’t ordered from either since the pandemic, so their rates might have gone up.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:41 am

Mine didn't get cancelled but I'm still bummed at the way this was rolled out. What a cluster fuck.

Announcing at like 11:30 PM and by the time people on the East Coast see it, deluxe versions (which, cost .... the same as regular?) are sold out or only ship from overseas for like $20 extra. Naw.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:25 am

People on other boards have been complaining about the same stuff and that there is artificial/intentional scarcity for the deluxe versions, but I’m not buying it. I’ll bet dollars to donuts that the deluxe version is being made up of leftover stock/parts from the 2018 pressing, and that’s what’s dictating the numbers. When the band rolled out their reissues, they took a few months to sell out, so I very much doubt they expected this run to sell out so quickly. Also, COVID is still having a big effect on pressing plants, so their hands might be tied as far as how many they can get pressed of either version.

Oh, and as far as shipping goes, the fact that the stock for the deluxe versions is in the UK just supports my belief that it’s old stock/parts from the 2018 versions. They don’t have the rights for the first two albums in the US and those are not being distributed here, so it’s actually surprising that anything other than mbv is being shipped from the US.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:03 am

version sound wrote:People on other boards have been complaining about the same stuff and that there is artificial/intentional scarcity for the deluxe versions, but I’m not buying it. I’ll bet dollars to donuts that the deluxe version is being made up of leftover stock/parts from the 2018 pressing, and that’s what’s dictating the numbers. When the band rolled out their reissues, they took a few months to sell out, so I very much doubt they expected this run to sell out so quickly. Also, COVID is still having a big effect on pressing plants, so their hands might be tied as far as how many they can get pressed of either version.

Oh, and as far as shipping goes, the fact that the stock for the deluxe versions is in the UK just supports my belief that it’s old stock/parts from the 2018 versions. They don’t have the rights for the first two albums in the US and those are not being distributed here, so it’s actually surprising that anything other than mbv is being shipped from the US.

Makes sense. So, I don't own any of them on vinyl so I figure I may as well be happy to have any version.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:23 am

There’s a lot of nerd rage on the Steve Hoffman board about how limited the all analog pressing is, and theoretically, if you have a fancy big money system, there should be a difference in the sound between the analog and digital cuts, but if you are working with much more humble gear, the differences are going to be less obvious. Also, consider that nearly everyone who owns the original Creation vinyl (mastered from a DAT) claims to prefer it to the AAA version. Part of that could be wanting to like it better because they have a lot of money invested in that copy, or if they’ve owned it since it was new, that’s just how they’re used to hearing it. If done well, high rez digital can be as good as analogue or (heaven forbid) better - lots of hi-fi nerds preferred the digitally sourced 50th anniversary pressing of Forever Changes to the previous highly lauded analog cut. The nerds on the SH forum seem to have forgotten that the reviews of the all analog 2018 MBV reissues were mixed. They were generally liked, but certainly did not get anything like universal acclaim.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:40 am

version sound wrote:There’s a lot of nerd rage on the Steve Hoffman board about how limited the all analog pressing is, and theoretically, if you have a fancy big money system, there should be a difference in the sound between the analog and digital cuts, but if you are working with much more humble gear, the differences are going to be less obvious. Also, consider that nearly everyone who owns the original Creation vinyl (mastered from a DAT) claims to prefer it to the AAA version. Part of that could be wanting to like it better because they have a lot of money invested in that copy, or if they’ve owned it since it was new, that’s just how they’re used to hearing it. If done well, high rez digital can be as good as analogue or (heaven forbid) better - lots of hi-fi nerds preferred the digitally sourced 50th anniversary pressing of Forever Changes to the previous highly lauded analog cut. The nerds on the SH forum seem to have forgotten that the reviews of the all analog 2018 MBV reissues were mixed. They were generally liked, but certainly did not get anything like universal acclaim.

Yeah, I guarantee I won't notice the difference. I just think the whole rollout was whack. Deluxe and regular versions should not cost the same.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:17 am

Apparently, in other countries, they were priced differently, so I don’t know if they just fucked up on the American prices or just got lazy and made them the same.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:59 pm

version sound wrote:There’s a lot of nerd rage on the Steve Hoffman board about how limited the all analog pressing is, and theoretically, if you have a fancy big money system, there should be a difference in the sound between the analog and digital cuts, but if you are working with much more humble gear, the differences are going to be less obvious. Also, consider that nearly everyone who owns the original Creation vinyl (mastered from a DAT) claims to prefer it to the AAA version. Part of that could be wanting to like it better because they have a lot of money invested in that copy, or if they’ve owned it since it was new, that’s just how they’re used to hearing it. If done well, high rez digital can be as good as analogue or (heaven forbid) better - lots of hi-fi nerds preferred the digitally sourced 50th anniversary pressing of Forever Changes to the previous highly lauded analog cut. The nerds on the SH forum seem to have forgotten that the reviews of the all analog 2018 MBV reissues were mixed. They were generally liked, but certainly did not get anything like universal acclaim.

The thing with digitally sourced vinyl is that it's never going to sound better than the source. So if you can get your hands on the hi-rez files used to make the record (not always possible, but happens often these days), there really isn't any point to have the record for any sound quality related purpose. That's not to say there aren't other reasons to make a purchase. Some folks like big artwork, the look and feel of records, the ritual of playing a record, etc.

RE: Forever Changes, that album will never sound pristine due to the way it was recorded and the age of the tapes. I've heard a 60s Monarch ND'd with probably $10K worth of gear and though it was underwhelming. I much prefer the early 2000s Rhino CD and the later Rhino LP cut by Chris Bellman. I didn't bother with the 50th Ann. job or anything else because I'm sick of rebuying albums I already own.

That's kind of how I feel about this reissue campaign. Either give me something special or I'm not interested. An AAA LP would've been special enough for me to make the purchase. Whether I prefer it over my 90s CD is another story. A digitally sourced LP is not special enough for me to personally make the purchase.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:07 pm

version sound wrote:People on other boards have been complaining about the same stuff and that there is artificial/intentional scarcity for the deluxe versions, but I’m not buying it. I’ll bet dollars to donuts that the deluxe version is being made up of leftover stock/parts from the 2018 pressing, and that’s what’s dictating the numbers.

When you have a lacquer cut and make that into a set of mother/father plates, it is possible to make many stampers from those plates. I don't how many they pressed a few years ago, but it's entirely possible they cannot make more stampers from those plates at this point. Things wear out and sound quality will eventually go down.

Of course some labels will continue to use old mother/father plates and old stampers well beyond their recommended lifespan.

It is also possible they had extra records pressed from the last run, held them back, and simply printed new jackets for the "deluxe" versions as part of this campaign.

Basically without more info figuring out why is difficult here.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:14 pm

From an Sh.TV post:

Just received this message from German mailorder Dodo :-(

„Hi

this is a bit unpleasant for me, but unfortunately I won't be able to fulfill your My Bloody Valentine order for the time being. Over the Easter holidays not only we, but also all other record stores and mailorders were literally overrun with orders for the deluxe editions. Unfortunately we have now been told by the German distributor that the label seems to have completely underestimated the demand (which I honestly can't understand). The order quantity of all stores have been drastically cut as a result, we won't even get a quarter of the originally ordered quantity. However, we were told that a repress of the deluxe editions will be released in just under three months. If you like, I'll be happy to keep your order for that. I can also understand if you would rather cancel the order and get a refund. Just let me know what you prefer.... I'm really sorry that I can't tell you anything else!“

So it looks like they are making more of the deluxe editions and possibly aren't just using leftover LPs from the last run.
patient_ot

Postby pedro » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:24 pm

Just shocked.
Hello.
pedro

Postby version sound » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:41 pm

I guess my question now is, if they can/will just re-press the AAA version, why did they ever bother making anything other than the AAA version? It’s just weird, especially coming from a guy obsessed with sound, and the sound of his own recordings in particular.

I understand that a record can’t sound better than its source, but hi-rez should have a much higher sample rate than a standard CD, so it’s not just like pressing a CD on vinyl. Right? (That’s an honest question)
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:34 am

version sound wrote:I guess my question now is, if they can/will just re-press the AAA version, why did they ever bother making anything other than the AAA version? It’s just weird, especially coming from a guy obsessed with sound, and the sound of his own recordings in particular.

I understand that a record can’t sound better than its source, but hi-rez should have a much higher sample rate than a standard CD, so it’s not just like pressing a CD on vinyl. Right? (That’s an honest question)

To the first point, the only possibility I can think of is if these are being pressed at separate plants, and if it's easier/cheaper (which it likely is) to simply make more records from a digitally sourced lacquer or DMM plate. Remember that if those tapes needed to be baked or were in any sort of fragile state, it's not like you can just load them up on a tape machine any time you want. Sometimes the engineer gets one crack and that's it. While doing so they can make a copy (either analog or digital) but that original tape may not be suitable for use anymore. That's basically what happened with the Domino Buzzcocks reissues. The engineer told me the tapes had to be transferred to digital to fix dropouts and other problems.

To the second point, no, it's absolutely not the same as using a CD rip to cut a lacquer or DMM plate. Most professional audio software and plugins work on 24 bit or higher. For example, a friend who is a hip hop producer and DJ makes his tracks at 32/96. They have to be downsampled for release with conversion software.

However, if you have vinyl sourced from hi-rez, don't think for one second you are getting some kind of full hi-rez experience on vinyl that way vs. a CD. It doesn't work like that. The best signal to noise ratio you'll get out of absolutely perfect, real world vinyl is somewhere in the low to mid 70s, e.g. 12-13 bits. Most average vinyl will be worse than that, and the electrical noise from your cartridge will also put a hard limit on things (it is possible to calculate that using spreadsheet math).
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:29 am

I’m not going to pretend that I fully understand that, but if the problem is with the limitations inherent in vinyl production and sound reproduction, why is it any better when it’s an analog source?

From a true audiophile perspective, my stereo is probably garbage. For me, it’s definitely a step up from what I grew up with, which was a decent consumer grade component system. It’s very possible that the fact that I started listening to punk/hardcore at such a young age permanently warped my perception of what sounds “good.” I can hear very obvious differences in pressings/recordings, but at a certain point, good enough is good enough, whether that be on LP, CD, or SACD (but never pre-recorded cassettes. Always hated those). My preference for vinyl is 99% based on the fact that I grew up with it. I have experienced an expensive AF audio system in a specially designed listening room, and honestly, it didn’t do that much for me.
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:29 am

version sound wrote:I’m not going to pretend that I fully understand that, but if the problem is with the limitations inherent in vinyl production and sound reproduction, why is it any better when it’s an analog source?

From a true audiophile perspective, my stereo is probably garbage. For me, it’s definitely a step up from what I grew up with, which was a decent consumer grade component system. It’s very possible that the fact that I started listening to punk/hardcore at such a young age permanently warped my perception of what sounds “good.” I can hear very obvious differences in pressings/recordings, but at a certain point, good enough is good enough, whether that be on LP, CD, or SACD (but never pre-recorded cassettes. Always hated those). My preference for vinyl is 99% based on the fact that I grew up with it. I have experienced an expensive AF audio system in a specially designed listening room, and honestly, it didn’t do that much for me.

It's not necessarily better, that's not the point. The sound quality and noise limitations of vinyl will always be there, no matter what any "vinyl only" snob or vinyl evangelist tells you. The fact is that I'm running out of room for vinyl and I am uninterested in duplicating a digital experience on vinyl in 98% of cases at this point. I have around $2500 retail invested into my front end for record playback (that's before we get to the LPs themselves, time involved in finding them, record cleaning machine, etc) and if I'm going to mess with vinyl at all, I want an experience that's DIFFERENT from CD and digital audio.

With most digitally sourced vinyl, you get something that's neither fish nor fowl. The whole point, for me, of playing a record (in most cases) is to get a 100% analog experience. DIFFERENT not better.

From a pure sound quality perspective, digital audio is far superior. Mechanical influence is minimized during playback and measurable and audible noise is greatly reduced. It's a fact and most of the arguments against digital audio are bullshit. You also don't have to worry about shitty pressing plants ruining the hard work of the artist and mastering engineer, which happens all the time these days. I can't tell you how many records I've bought over the last 7-8 years that have some kind of problem, whether it's non-fill, off-center pressings, garbage/debris pressed into the vinyl, factory warps, and so on.

I didn't grow up on vinyl as my first ever format so I'm not treating it as the holy grail that some folks do. I don't feel a need to constantly evangelize it or go through mental gymnastics to argue for its superiority over other formats. I grew up on FM radio and cassette tapes. Vinyl came after that, then in the mid-90s, CD. I still consider CD my primary audio format above all others.

BTW, just in case it wasn't clear, none of my ranting is directed at you. I've simply don't have a whole lot of patience for certain aspects of the vinyl revival scene, audiophools, etc. There's a huge cash-in, FOMO component to it which I don't want to be apart of.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:09 pm

I didn’t take any of it personally. I agree with most of what your saying. I fully admit that my love of vinyl is mainly based in nostalgia. There are things that definitely “sound better on vinyl,” but I think that is almost entirely due to mastering, not the format itself. I still have tons of CDs.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:12 pm

version sound wrote:I didn’t take any of it personally. I agree with most of what your saying. I fully admit that my love of vinyl is mainly based in nostalgia. There are things that definitely “sound better on vinyl,” but I think that is almost entirely due to mastering, not the format itself. I still have tons of CDs.

Mastering will determine a lot with vinyl. So will the actual manufacturing. The latter is where a lot of the screw ups are these days.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:22 pm

Here is the response I received after asking whether more Deluxe LPs would be made available:

We're sorry you weren't able to order what you wanted. We have allocations of stock in different warehouses and the allowance ran out affecting bundles and the ability to order to your address.

A new pressing will be under way soon.. If you’d like more details on the timing, sign up to the mbv mailing list and the band will send an update to you as soon as they have more information about the exact timing.

Kind regards,

Ochre Support
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:54 pm

pedro wrote:I have spent the last 20 minutes trying to embed a tweet from mbv. No luck.

https://twitter.com/TheOfficialMBV/stat ... 2993619968

Apparently there is a new record in two days. I'm sure it will be $35-$40 and I am sure I will buy it. I'm a sucker.

Just take a screenshot of the image of said tweet and upload it to imgur.com.
JGJR

Next

Return to daghouse