The Factory Incident

The Factory Incident

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:28 am

I’ve been revisiting their small discography, and I really like them. I may even like them more than later GI.

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: The Factory Incident

Postby JGJR » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:30 am

Fantastic group; wish I had been able to stay to see them the one chance I had back in 2002 at Giorgio Gomelsky's loft. I have the split 7" with the also overlooked and quite good Last Burning Embers. I think I had a CD EP at one point, though. Off to Discogs I go...

No way is it better than later GI, though. I think that's GI's best stuff (particularly GI 5 and You).
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby pedro » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:36 am

version sound wrote:I’ve been revisiting their small discography, and I really like them. I may even like them more than later GI.

Funny you should say that. While I have never heard the FI, I remember, years ago, running into J Robbins (who I think produced some of their stuff? Maybe?) who told me the FI was the best music John had ever made, including the GI records they played on together. I remember thinking I should hear this Factory Incident stuff, yet I never got around to it.

Typical me.
Hello.
pedro

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:11 am

JGJR wrote:No way is it better than later GI, though. I think that's GI's best stuff (particularly GI 5 and You).

By “late GI,” I mean the last two LPs. Unlike a lot of people around here, I was never hugely into them. I got You when it came out and liked it just fine, but not as much as their previous records. I never even heard Crash until the ‘00s.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:08 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:No way is it better than later GI, though. I think that's GI's best stuff (particularly GI 5 and You).

By “late GI,” I mean the last two LPs. Unlike a lot of people around here, I was never hugely into them. I got You when it came out and liked it just fine, but not as much as their previous records. I never even heard Crash until the ‘00s.

I think You is their absolute peak and one of the best albums of the late '80s, though GI 5 is very close. Sorry not sorry.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:48 pm

JGJR wrote:I think You is their absolute peak and one of the best albums of the late '80s, though GI 5 is very close. Sorry not sorry.

You is an absolute masterpiece and had it come out on Dischord, would be in the running for my favorite Dischord release of all-time. An absolutely perfect album in every way.

I do like GI-5 (in fact - anything from GI from Boycott Stabb onward is pretty much perfect) - but You is another level.

Crash is good follow-up....but definitely a little bit of a drop down....although - "Connecticut" is one of my favorite GI songs.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:59 pm

captain2man wrote:You is an absolute masterpiece and had it come out on Dischord, would be in the running for my favorite Dischord release of all-time. An absolutely perfect album in every way.

I do like GI-5 (in fact - anything from GI from Boycott Stabb onward is pretty much perfect) - but You is another level.

Crash is good follow-up....but definitely a little bit of a drop down....although - "Connecticut" is one of my favorite GI songs.

100% agreed with all of the above except that I think you like the earlier records a bit more than I do because I didn't hear them until the 2000s, but great call on "Connecticut." I think that's the best song on Crash.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:24 pm

I’m more of a Joy Ride and GI5 guy, though I celebrate the entire catalog.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Return to daghouse