GVSB

GVSB

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:49 pm

The only thing I ever really listened to by these guys was the first EP. IIRC, it was not what I expected based on the line-up (some DC style post/punk jams) and I never went back. Did I miss anything?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: GVSB

Postby gregpolard » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:52 pm

Def missed stuff. Good band. Funny enough, due to my age and accessibility the first one I got was "Freak*On*Ica" which was their sole major label album. Really enjoyed it and saw them on that tour. I worked my way backwards after that and the two-three albums that precede it are also rad. I can't speak to any others.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby the mean » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:27 pm

The definitive ranking of GVSB LPs:

You Can't Fight What You Can't See
Tropic Of Scorpio
Venus Luxure No.1 Baby
Cruise Yourself
Freak*on*ica
House of GVSB
the mean

Postby drew » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:43 pm

the mean wrote:The definitive ranking of GVSB LPs:

Tropic Of Scorpio
Venus Luxure No.1 Baby
Cruise Yourself
Freak*on*ica
House of GVSB

Freakonica is the worst. Hated them on that tour too because of the DJ
drew

Postby drew » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:48 pm

A band I really like and saw many times. Probably three times opening for Fugazi.
Reunion show was cool, they did the whole-album thing for Venus Luxure.
I even dig the two New Wet Kojack records.

My order would be:
Venus Luxure No 1
Cruise Yourself
You Can’t Fight What you can’t see
Tropic Of Scorpio
90’s Vs. 80’s
House of GVSB

A few great singles too

Freakonica is shit
drew

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:53 am

drew wrote:

Tropic Of Scorpio
Venus Luxure No.1 Baby
Cruise Yourself
Freak*on*ica
House of GVSB

I saw them twice in the '90s. The first time was in '97 at my school (Cook College) with Versus opening. Both bands were great that night (Versus always brought it, too).

The only other time I saw them was in early '99 at Irving Plaza a few months after Freakonica came out. I thought they were really good and don't remember the DJ at all, but I do remember RUN-DMC (who I love) headlining and being very disappointed with their set. Let's just say they were far past their prime at that point. I was also still living in central NJ then and got back home really late and had to go to work the next morning, but I pulled stuff like that all the time back then; now it just sounds exhausting lol. Fun times.

As for the records, the only one I ever had was Venus Luxure No. 1 Baby. I thought it was OK, but nowhere near as good as they were live. I should give it and the others a serious listen at some point.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:48 am

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:

Tropic Of Scorpio
Venus Luxure No.1 Baby
Cruise Yourself
Freak*on*ica
House of GVSB

I saw them twice in the '90s. The first time was in '97 at my school (Cook College) with Versus opening. Both bands were great that night (Versus always brought it, too).

The only other time I saw them was in early '99 at Irving Plaza a few months after Freakonica came out. I thought they were really good and don't remember the DJ at all, but I do remember RUN-DMC (who I love) headlining and being very disappointed with their set. Let's just say they were far past their prime at that point. I was also still living in central NJ then and got back home really late and had to go to work the next morning, but I pulled stuff like that all the time back then; now it just sounds exhausting lol. Fun times.

As for the records, the only one I ever had was Venus Luxure No. 1 Baby. I thought it was OK, but nowhere near as good as they were live. I should give it and the others a serious listen at some point.

I was gonna say, I also do not remember a DJ at all
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby the mean » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:30 am

Never saw them with a DJ. Here is a list of the times I saw them. Such a great band.

10.23.93 Jesus Lizard / Girls Against Boys / Brainiac / Sea Pigs, Cattle Club, Sacramento, CA
10.24.93 Jesus Lizard / Girls Against Boys / Brainiac, Slim’s, San Francisco, CA
02.28.94 Jawbox / Girls Against Boys, Slim’s, San Francisco, CA
11.20.94 Girls Against Boys / Brainiac / Bureau Of The Glorious, Press Club, Sacramento, CA
05.05.96 Girls Against Boys / Salt / Therepy?, El Dorado Saloon, Carmichael, CA
03.22.02 Girls Against Boys / The Pattern / Yeah Yeah Yeahs, First Unitarian Church, Philadelphia, PA
09.27.02 Girls Against Boys / Radio 4, Northstar, Philadelphia, PA
09.08.06 !!! / Ted Leo And The Pharmacists / Girls Against Boys / Supersystem / The Shipping News, The Hideout, Chicago, IL

When I was on tour in 93 and we were in Richmond, the promoter told us "some band called Girls Against Boys tried to get added to the show and I told them no." We told him he made a mistake.

Love this, the last song from their final full length:
the mean

Postby drew » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:39 pm

Around the time Freakonica was hitting the dollar bins Johnny Temple was out and they had a DJ
drew

Postby scannest » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:47 pm

A band I loved at the time (thought they were fantastic live), but barely give them a thought nowadays.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Return to daghouse