FARSIDE (the band)

FARSIDE (the band)

Postby gregpolard » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:15 pm

Next episode of Where it Went is where we start to dive into the Farside catalog. They seem like a band people on here would love. Let's hear it
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: FARSIDE (the band)

Postby drew » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:52 pm

Very cool band, we've said it here before. Saw them at a Middlesex College all-day show......where they got lost and showed up very late. Played about 20 minutes. Apparently they went to someones house and played a full basement-set.

When I moved to L.A. in '99 the first show I went to was at the Rock Palace.
Good Riddance/Farside/Kid Dynamite/Strife

Farside's entire set was "The Monroe Doctrine" months before its release so no one moshed/danced.
They sounded great but after the set I went up to Kevin Murphy and said "great set" and he got all agitated saying "why didn't anyone dance!?" I said "sorry" Good show tho.
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:43 pm

I was the one who discovered them actually.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Hal » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:10 am

I bought the first two LPs when they were released. I liked Rochambeau (still have my original vinyl). I LOVED Rigged. That was a big album for me. It had a bit rougher edge than the first LP and also the melodic sensibility that I'd grown to love in those years. It was always a great record to crank in the car when driving with more mainstream rock-type friends. Everybody liked it, even chicks. By the time the Monroe Doctrine was released, I'd moved on. I didn't hear that one until many years later. And admittedly, I probably have only given it a couple of spins. It didn't grab me like the others, but I should probably give it a re-listen soon. I still listen to the first two LP's. There's always a nostalgic factor when listening to the music from my college years ('90-94). So many good memories tied to those records. I wouldn't expect somebody that had never heard Farside to listen to those records with fresh ears and like them. It probably sounds pretty dated.

Looking forward to hearing the WIW take!

Speaking of chicks...how come there aren't any on this board anymore? mommagriz, vinylgirl, erin...where are you?
Hal

Postby target » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:20 am

Pharcyde > Farside
target

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:10 pm

target wrote:Pharcyde > Farside

:roll:
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Marc M » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:21 pm

Top notch band, and Popeye is a great dude.
Marc M

Postby BAIN » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:26 am

Marc M wrote:Top notch band, and Popeye is a great dude.

100%

Popeye comes to visit my buddy and play local acoustic shows here in NJ every once in a while

Odd little fact

Popeye's band with Jeff (Gameface) features Robbie Rist on drums who was cousin Oliver on the Brady Bunch
BAIN

Postby gregpolard » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:22 am

We talked with Popeye and had a special appearance from Jeff Gameface since he did the artwork for the LP. Fun convo that will be out Wednesday.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:36 am

gregpolard wrote:We talked with Popeye and had a special appearance from Jeff Gameface since he did the artwork for the LP. Fun convo that will be out Wednesday.

I'm not sure if I posted about this, but a few months before the pandemic, I saw both of them play acoustic sets at one of my favorite record stores (Limited to One) and it was just a phenomenal show. They played separate sets and did some songs together, too. Ryley Walker opened the show with a set of his own and he was really good, too.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:52 am

Rigged is definitely my favorite of all their stuff. I do like Rochambeau and the s/t EP quite a bit though. Monroe Doctrine has weird production, weird inside joke/filler songs, etc. Just never gelled for me though there are some great moments on it.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:53 am

I like both.
patient_ot

Postby B.S. » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:37 am

drew wrote:Very cool band, we've said it here before. Saw them at a Middlesex College all-day show......where they got lost and showed up very late. Played about 20 minutes. Apparently they went to someones house and played a full basement-set.

I have a VHS comp that I bought in 2000 that featured one song from this show. Before the Farside vid, there was a brief clip of Jimmy Gestapo bustin' their balls about being late and leading the crowd in a brief chant about it.
B.S.

Postby Neal » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:56 pm

love farside. only got to see them once on the rochambeau tour and there were about 5 people there, besides the other bands. engine kid was sooo boring. i watched popeye do an acoustic thing at the start of the pandemic. it was cool to see his orange county punk peers commenting on the side of the screen.

patient_ot wrote:

I like both.

2 girls showed up to the previous show thinking it was the pharcyde. i saw them a couple years later for their labcabincalifornia tour.
Last edited by Neal on Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neal

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:22 am

patient_ot wrote:Rigged is definitely my favorite of all their stuff. I do like Rochambeau and the s/t EP quite a bit though. Monroe Doctrine has weird production, weird inside joke/filler songs, etc. Just never gelled for me though there are some great moments on it.

I've never been able to get into it, either, but they did have the great taste to cover Graham Parker's "Blue Highways" on that album. I'm pretty sure that I told Popeye I wish he'd played it, but I can't remember what his response was.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:23 am

B.S. wrote:
drew wrote:Very cool band, we've said it here before. Saw them at a Middlesex College all-day show......where they got lost and showed up very late. Played about 20 minutes. Apparently they went to someones house and played a full basement-set.

I have a VHS comp that I bought in 2000 that featured one song from this show. Before the Farside vid, there was a brief clip of Jimmy Gestapo bustin' their balls about being late and leading the crowd in a brief chant about it.

I was at that Middlesex show, but I only remember seeing Murphy's Law (one of the few times I've ever stagedived was during their set) that day. I also lost my watch in the pit or something lol. I can't remember whose house they played, but it was likely someone I knew then. Regardless, I never saw them!
JGJR

Postby Marc M » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:54 pm

BAIN wrote:

100%

Popeye comes to visit my buddy and play local acoustic shows here in NJ every once in a while

Odd little fact

Popeye's band with Jeff (Gameface) features Robbie Rist on drums who was cousin Oliver on the Brady Bunch

Yep, Your Favorite Trainwreck were great. I got to see them live once. Check out the video for The Brilliance.

https://youtu.be/LoYvLPIU9Ug

Jeff played my 40th birthday party with his solo band featuring Robbie and Popeye as well.
Marc M

Postby JGJR » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:19 am

Marc M wrote:
BAIN wrote:

100%

Odd little fact

Yep, Your Favorite Trainwreck were great. I got to see them live once. Check out the video for The Brilliance.

https://youtu.be/LoYvLPIU9Ug

Jeff played my 40th birthday party with his solo band featuring Robbie and Popeye as well.

I have a split 7" with another band where I think they cover ("What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding" but didn't realize that was the same band except that Caudill is in it.
JGJR

Postby Markonomicon » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:42 pm

Rigged is an amazing album.

Monroe Doctrine and the S/T are great as well.

The first album is a little cheesy with some of it's effects.

Popeye has one of the best voices for that style.

I tried, but didn't care for the band he & Jeff from Gameface had.

They had/have a band called the Milwaukees from NJ that put out a couple records in the early 00s (Missile Command & This Is A Stickup) that sound like Popeye singing for an emo/melodic rock band...(uh...but not like Farside...Haha). They turned into Springsteen roots rock kinda band after, which is not my thing at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6wT-z_HBRI
Markonomicon

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:14 pm

We record the "Rigged" episode this weekend with Popeye & Kevin Murphy (and more surprises)

"Rigged" is the perfect spring/summer album.
gregpolard

Postby Hal » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:21 pm

gregpolard wrote:We record the "Rigged" episode this weekend with Popeye & Kevin Murphy (and more surprises)

"Rigged" is the perfect spring/summer album.

Nice. Been looking forward to this one. I'll be digging that one outta the stacks this weekend.
Hal

Return to daghouse