If Bobby Steele Has Any Talent...

If Bobby Steele Has Any Talent...

Postby version sound » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:29 pm

Why are The Undead so mediocre? Seems clear that no matter who was backing him, Danzig was the talent in the band. But hell, even the Danzigless Jerry Only Misfits are better than The Undead.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: If Bobby Steele Has Any Talent...

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:08 pm

Undead had a few bright spots. But nowhere near the early genius of Glenzing's writing. Especially for the brutally perfect 'Earth A.D.'
xxxMidgexxx

Postby neutral knieval » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:43 pm

the two songs on that old 'new york thrash' comp were good
neutral knieval

Postby version sound » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:29 pm

Ok, they aren’t terrible, I guess I was just expecting some of that early Misfits magic, and they have none.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:29 pm

was he on any misfits recordings
lewdd

Postby version sound » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:24 pm

lewdd wrote:was he on any misfits recordings

Yup. Static Age, some of Legacy of Brutality, Horror Business, Night of the Living Dead, and bits of Three Hits From Hell and Halloween.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby SamDBL » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:06 am

There were three things that made the misfits worth a damn... Danzig's voice, danzig's songs, and their image. That, and timing were the things that made them stand out despite the fact that their instrument playing skills were, like, the worst. So claiming that you were the guitarist for the misfits, great and known the band is, is actually a subtraction from your resume. In other words if someone told me they were in the misfits and their name wasn't glen danzig, Id automatically assume they fuckin suck. Bad.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:43 pm

SamDBL wrote:There were three things that made the misfits worth a damn... Danzig's voice, danzig's songs, and their image. That, and timing were the things that made them stand out despite the fact that their instrument playing skills were, like, the worst. So claiming that you were the guitarist for the misfits, great and known the band is, is actually a subtraction from your resume. In other words if someone told me they were in the misfits and their name wasn't glen danzig, Id automatically assume they fuckin suck. Bad.

I'll chime in and say Yes and No.

I thought that Michael Graves did a great job on 'American Psycho' to be honest. Sounds like Glenzing and it was a REALLY catchy album with major production. I get it...it get it that the charm of Misfits was not in major label/ big studio productions. But I found myself playing that album on repeat. 'Dig Up her Bones' is a GREAT song. People were reminded that Jerry and Doyle were part of Misfits.

Agreed though that claiming a Misfits skill for 'playing' is an automatic bummer. I guess Bobby needed to keep the horror motif and I understand that, but they couldn't even keep their instruments in tune most of the time. Their live performance might have well been the SWANS. So much noise and incompetence made Flipper sound like AC/DC.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby SamDBL » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:55 pm

Yes I guess I’d include their subsequent singer as an exception to being not horrible. And while I thought those albums were very decent, I wouldn’t say they were ‘great’ in the same sense that the original albums were. I have always found that their lack of playing ability was almost impressive in its consistency. I mean, people make fun of the ramones or venom for not really knowing to play, but Jesus. After 40+ years the misfits still manage to make power chords sound like shit. That their music still worked with that limitation is, again, impressive. Also impressive is that the bros continue to maintain their image (ie physique) at their age. I have to give them credit for that. With the make up and everything, they are still visually impressive as fuck live. Their record covers were all great, too. So I give them a lot of credit for being good stewards of the name. I also have it on good authority that Doyle is an incredibly nice, down to earth, generous person.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:17 am

I think the playing and musicianship on Static Age is actually pretty decent, especially compared to their later stuff... I mean, they were certainly never virtuosos or anything, but on that record anyway, they sound like a basically competent rock and roll/garage band, especially on the blues-ier tunes like "Come Back" and "Theme For A Jackal"... I credit that mostly to the fact that Mr. Jim was a decent enough drummer to keep consistent time throughout an entire song. I also think Robo's drummng on Earth A.D./Wolf's Blood is pretty great
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:49 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Agreed though that claiming a Misfits skill for 'playing' is an automatic bummer. I guess Bobby needed to keep the horror motif and I understand that, but they couldn't even keep their instruments in tune most of the time. Their live performance might have well been the SWANS. So much noise and incompetence made Flipper sound like AC/DC.

Why does the studio stuff sound so good and yet Evillive is just what you described above?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:55 am

JGJR wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Agreed though that claiming a Misfits skill for 'playing' is an automatic bummer. I guess Bobby needed to keep the horror motif and I understand that, but they couldn't even keep their instruments in tune most of the time. Their live performance might have well been the SWANS. So much noise and incompetence made Flipper sound like AC/DC.

Why does the studio stuff sound so good and yet Evillive is just what you described above?

"studio" being the key word I would wager.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby the mean » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:32 pm

the mean

Return to daghouse