Turntables

Turntables

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:38 pm

Right now I LOVE my Fluance RT 84 walnut finish. It got so addicting that I bought a second one a Pro Ject Debut Carbon white finish. I like it, only drawbacks is the dumb anti skidding weight and the 33 to 45. I kinda wished I held out for the evol, but I’m okay and I’m staying with the DC in the bedroom.

The ONLY reason I didn’t go with an audio technica is because I do have a dream of owning a Technics one day
^v^
WrEtcH

Re: Turntables

Postby lewdd » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:48 pm

I've had the Technics SL-1500C for about a year now and love it. I have the AT-LP120-USB hooked up in my office to use to rip vinyl to digital.

Welcome back!
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:50 pm

WrEtcH wrote:Right now I LOVE my Fluance RT 84 walnut finish. It got so addicting that I bought a second one a Pro Ject Debut Carbon white finish. I like it, only drawbacks is the dumb anti skidding weight and the 33 to 45. I kinda wished I held out for the evol, but I’m okay and I’m staying with the DC in the bedroom.

The ONLY reason I didn’t go with an audio technica is because I do have a dream of owning a Technics one day

I have a Technics 1211 MK2 (a donation from a dear friend who moved recently) that's either from 1990 or 2000 (patient_ot helped me determine this using the SKU #, I believe), but I haven't hooked it up yet. It's in the works, though. I just have to replace the needle and switch the counterweight from reversed to regular position, so I've been using the Pro-Ject 1.2 I've had since 2016. I did recently change the needle and that made a huge difference in the sound, as did replacing the shitty old Memorex pre-amp that came with it with this thing (came with the Technics):

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Phono-Turnt ... 7158478798

I seriously can't recommend it enough, especially given its price point.

I agree that by far the biggest annoyance with the Pro-Ject is lifting the lid to switch from 33 to 45 and back again. Apparently, you can buy a speed box so you don't have to do this, but I know that belt wears out after a while.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:57 pm

JGJR wrote:
I have a Technics 1211 MK2 (a donation from a dear friend who moved recently) that's either from 1990 or 2000 (patient_ot helped me determine this using the SKU #, I believe), but I haven't hooked it up yet. It's in the works, though. I just have to replace the needle and switch the counterweight from reversed to regular position, so I've been using the Pro-Ject 1.2 I've had since 2016. I did recently change the needle and that made a huge difference in the sound, as did replacing the shitty old Memorex pre-amp that came with it with this thing (came with the Technics):

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Phono-Turnt ... 7158478798

I seriously can't recommend it enough, especially given its price point.

I agree that by far the biggest annoyance with the Pro-Ject is lifting the lid to switch from 33 to 45 and back again. Apparently, you can buy a speed box so you don't have to do this, but I know that belt wears out after a while.

I just play 33 on Pro-Ject and the 45’s on Fluance since it’s easier to it that way.
Yeah I’d love to own a Technics SL 1200 for nostalgia and performance sake, but I gotta admit the 1500 C looks great and is much cheaper
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby patient_ot » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:25 am

The newer Technics decks have better motors and tonearm bearings than the old ones. If the goal is to play records at home, then they are a good choice. I've been running a 1200 MK7 since last year. Before that I used vintage Japanese DD decks from the 70s and 80s.

Here's a pic from the other day:

Vintage 1200s can be nice but condition is always a big factor. The prices on them have really gotten out of control IMHO, and the really nice ones are gone unless you get lucky or import one from Japan. The good thing about 1200s is that parts are usually available somewhere. With many other older decks parts are a PITA or straight up unobtanium.

Not a fan of belt-drive turntables generally, though there are some designs I respect. I would never buy one for my own personal use.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:32 am

what are the pucks underneath the feet of your turntable? what impact do you believe they have on the sound?

I'm asking for a friend who has been on an audiophile type kick since the start of the pandemic. :D
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:35 am

WrEtcH wrote:I just play 33 on Pro-Ject and the 45’s on Fluance since it’s easier to it that way.
Yeah I’d love to own a Technics SL 1200 for nostalgia and performance sake, but I gotta admit the 1500 C looks great and is much cheaper

A new 1500C costs around $1200 assuming you can't get a discount.

A new 1200 MK7 is around $1000. 1200GR is $1700. 1200G is $4000. Again, all assuming no discount.

So it depends what model you are talking about, but the 1500C isn't really cheaper.

Old 1200 prices are all over the place depending on condition and the specific model. In my area a DJ abused example that needs work can easily sell for $600 or so. Then you need to be prepared to put some money into it depending on what is wrong with it.

If you're shopping for an old one there are many guides online that tell you how to test out the deck before buying. Red flags are broken anti-skate, bad tonearm bearings, cigarette burns, aftermarket RCA cables, etc. Lots of abused decks and hack jobs out there unfortunately.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:37 am

lewdd wrote:what are the pucks underneath the feet of your turntable? what impact do you believe they have on the sound?

I'm asking for a friend who has been on an audiophile type kick since the start of the pandemic. :D

Those are cheapo industrial anti-vibration pads. I doubt you will hear a difference with them, but if you put your hand on the plinth with them and speakers at a moderate volume, you will feel less vibration than without them. I've used them for years on all my turntables.

There are probably better solutions out there like Isonoe feet and such, but those things also cost a lot more.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:53 am

patient_ot wrote:Old 1200 prices are all over the place depending on condition and the specific model. In my area a DJ abused example that needs work can easily sell for $600 or so. Then you need to be prepared to put some money into it depending on what is wrong with it.

Of course. I had a pair that I used when I was spinning D&B in the ‘90s. Sold the (mint) pair with my mixer for $800, IIRC. I sold a ‘64 Jazzmaster for $500 to buy them originally. It’s just level after level of dumb over here.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:55 am

patient_ot wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:I just play 33 on Pro-Ject and the 45’s on Fluance since it’s easier to it that way.

A new 1200 MK7 is around $1000. 1200GR is $1700. 1200G is $4000. Again, all assuming no discount.

So it depends what model you are talking about, but the 1500C isn't really cheaper.

Old 1200 prices are all over the place depending on condition and the specific model. In my area a DJ abused example that needs work can easily sell for $600 or so. Then you need to be prepared to put some money into it depending on what is wrong with it.

If you're shopping for an old one there are many guides online that tell you how to test out the deck before buying. Red flags are broken anti-skate, bad tonearm bearings, cigarette burns, aftermarket RCA cables, etc. Lots of abused decks and hack jobs out there unfortunately.

The 1500C does come with an Ortofon Red cartridge where I believe the 1200MK7 does not come with a cartridge so they are close in cost if I am accurate. I did swap out the Ortofon for an Audio Technica micro line cartridge that I am very happy with. I have 2 other AT spares and the Ortofon Red if anyone needs to buy that price point cartridge I can give you a good deal.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:19 am

lewdd wrote:The 1500C does come with an Ortofon Red cartridge where I believe the 1200MK7 does not come with a cartridge so they are close in cost if I am accurate. I did swap out the Ortofon for an Audio Technica micro line cartridge that I am very happy with. I have 2 other AT spares and the Ortofon Red if anyone needs to buy that price point cartridge I can give you a good deal.

That's right. For the extra $200 you get a starter cartridge, a built in phono preamp, a rubber mat, and a hinged dustcover.

I didn't need any of those things so I bought the 1200 MK7 instead. I use my own cartridge, an aftermarket mat, and a separate phono preamp. Dustcover gets completely removed while playing because most TTs sound the best that way. If you have children or cats jumping around you probably want the hinged dust cover.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:22 am

version sound wrote:
Of course. I had a pair that I used when I was spinning D&B in the ‘90s. Sold the (mint) pair with my mixer for $800, IIRC. I sold a ‘64 Jazzmaster for $500 to buy them originally. It’s just level after level of dumb over here.

No one knew the prices on those things would eventually climb, especially the Jazzmaster. One of the reasons many indie bands in the 80s and 90s bought old guitars was because they were cheaper than the latest "shredder" models or whatever.

J.Mascis in an interview mentions he wanted a strat but the Jazz was cheaper so bought that. If he had a enough money for the strat people would probably associate him with that today.

Crazy how things worked out.
patient_ot

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:11 pm

patient_ot wrote:

Right now I’m good with two turntables (hmmmm...) in tow, but this would be years down the line or if a golden opportunity presented itself
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:08 pm

patient_ot wrote:
version sound wrote:

No one knew the prices on those things would eventually climb, especially the Jazzmaster. One of the reasons many indie bands in the 80s and 90s bought old guitars was because they were cheaper than the latest "shredder" models or whatever.

J.Mascis in an interview mentions he wanted a strat but the Jazz was cheaper so bought that. If he had a enough money for the strat people would probably associate him with that today.

Crazy how things worked out.

By that point, prices for JMs were already on the rise. It was easily a $1200 guitar, but that was pre-eBay, and I didn’t want to have to find an end buyer myself, so I sold it to a dealer. I had quit playing guitar at that point and just didn’t care. I would kill to have any of the the vintage JMs I sold or traded away in the ‘90s and early ‘00s. I couldn’t afford any of them these days...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Return to daghouse