music classifieds

music classifieds

Postby target » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:27 am

Last night i was looking at the wikipedia entry for The The, because I have always loved "soul mining" but know nothing about the band. I saw that Matt Johnson put his bands together through classifieds in NME and it made me think of all of the interviews I've read where bands talk about what they put in their classified ad to find band mates. (I think X stands out). I've used craigs list and other classifieds to find musical partners---have you? Please tell me how you put your bands together. Here's me:

"little albert" --a bunch of 7th graders decide to play music together. social context

"carpe diem"--my brother's friend Eric tells me his brother Derek is looking for a drummer. an introduction is made and we start playing. family referral

"swiz" - i met nathan through the production of "the balloon races"---a tape comp both of our bands were on. through word of mouth (after auditioning a few friends) we hear that some other guys are looking to start a hardcore band---scene referral

"severin"-- after swiz, ian physically places me in front of alec at a show and says ' this guy plays drums and you are looking for a drummer' --godfather intervention.

"woolybacks"--alt country punk group with jay from united mutation, mike from MFD--this may have been through a city paper ad, but it might have been word of mouth. i forget

Tyko--i moved to arkansas and looked on a local blog and saw a band needed a drummer. local blog referral

The Charm Offensive--i met a friend through walking our dogs at the dog park, and she invited me into the band. canine contact

Julie Ocean---i honestly don't remember--xxxHunterxxx might...

the chariots--a drum spot opened on my friends' band when their drummer danny shifted to keyboards. friend referral.

The captivators--i think i answered an ad on craigs list....online referral
Last edited by target on Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
target

Re: music classifieds

Postby lewdd » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:54 am

Didn't the Buzzcocks get started via an ad in the NME or something like that?

Thanks for sharing your story and the list of bands that you played in. I think I have some recordings by most of them. I may have to reach out to get a discography listing.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:00 am

I never had any luck finding drummers on Craigslist. And it is always drummers, always.
Let's see...
TWO WEEKS OLD - I met TJ at St. John's. We had a lot of the same classes. One day he said, "I hear you play guitar. I have a friend who needs an opener for a show coming up in two weeks. We're gonna form a band and open the show." And that was that.
Everything after that came from the same circle of friends - RATCATCHER with Midge and TJ, IN CROWD with Pilster, RULE OF THUMB with TJ again.
I did a couple records under the name LOVE MINUS ZERO which was various combinations of these people. My sister's boyfriend was involved, and then his brother.
THE THIRTEEN was just me and Joe (aka Miles) who I met right here on the Dagboard. Pete Donnelly played bass in addition to producing and he hired drummers for the session (Matty Muir and Chuck Treece!) I met our regular bass player Peter when he was booking shows at the Tritone. I went looking to book a gig, assuming I would hire a rhythm section. He loved the record and offered to play bass. We hired drummers for shows for awhile and then went through a silly number of flaky drummers (what else is new, right?)
GERUNDS was Dagboard born.
Now I basically work with Pete Donnelly and ask friends to help out as they can. The internet has made that super easy. I did a whole record during COVID with lots of help from people I haven't seen a year or more. TJ recorded his drums in San Diego. My friend Billy sang into a mic plugged into an iPad. Jason Victor and Peter Santa Maria recorded their parts on laptops at their respective homes.
I was walking in my neighborhood last summer when I guy saw my t-shirt and asked how I knew who the Glory Fires were. Turns out he's from Alabama and is friends with the band. And he plays drums. We're hoping to get something going when things return to semi-normalcy.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby pedro » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:20 am

lewdd wrote:Didn't the Buzzcocks get started via an ad in the NME or something like that?

Pretty sure Devoto and Shelley were students at the same college. Devoto posted an ad on a student bulletin board looking for someone who liked the Velvet Underground. Shelley responded.
Hello.
pedro

Return to daghouse