Lost Classic: Rocketship ‎– A Certain Smile...

Lost Classic: Rocketship ‎– A Certain Smile...

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:46 pm

Full title: A Certain Smile, A Certain Sadness (too long to fit in the thread title :( )

Ever wondered what a collaboration between early Stereolab and Creation era My Bloody Valentine would have sounded like? Well, this record is a vague approximation of that combination without sounding like a rip off of either. If you dig ‘90s indie rock of a certain variety - nice boy/girl vox, organs, and a mix of chime-y and shoegazer-y guitars - this record should be on your playlist.

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Lost Classic: Rocketship ‎– A Certain Smile...

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:26 pm

This one could have been written by 1990s Mark Kozelek:

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby the mean » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:30 pm

This band was from Sacto. Dustin recorded lots of stuff as well, including The Yah Mos LP on Gern Blandsten.
the mean

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:47 pm

It's aiiight. Not really shoegaze, but I hear the Stereolab influence. That cover though. Looks like a Carpenters album.

DOESN'T ANYONE ON THIS BOARD LIKE PUNK ROCK ANYMORE!??
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:26 am

I'm sure this has come up in my IG feed more than once but I don't know it. From the cover I would guess they were a Sarah Records style twee indie pop band.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:11 am

patient_ot wrote:I'm sure this has come up in my IG feed more than once but I don't know it. From the cover I would guess they were a Sarah Records style twee indie pop band.

That's what I thought, too. I always meant to check them out since I know they were a very big influence on the 1st Pains of Being Pure at Heart Lp.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:51 am

JGJR wrote:
patient_ot wrote:I'm sure this has come up in my IG feed more than once but I don't know it. From the cover I would guess they were a Sarah Records style twee indie pop band.

That's what I thought, too. I always meant to check them out since I know they were a very big influence on the 1st Pains of Being Pure at Heart Lp.

They were on Slumberland. I wouldn’t call them twee. There is a good bit of prettiness, but there is also a fair portion of dissonance. Musically, they remind me a lot of early Stereolab. The vocals remind me more of Slowdive or MBV, with both male and female vocals on most songs. Their second record moved more into ambient/drone territory. If you have a place in your heart for a certain brand of ‘90s indie, this album is definitely worth a listen.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Return to daghouse