Daft Punk 1993-2021

Daft Punk 1993-2021

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:44 pm

http://theavion.com/daft-punk-calls-it-quits/

Not sure who may care on this board, but this is an end to a big era in electronica. One of the first bands (actually duo) that I'd been intrigued with when I started to deep dive into house- noise- avant-gard- alt-dancey stuff.

I like their 1997-2007 period the best but I'm glad that the mainstream actually "got it" and they made it fairly big. Respect.

Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Re: Daft Punk 1993-2021

Postby scannest » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:51 am

Much more of a pop sensibility than most Electronica. I dig them just fine.

I first heard them under unusual circumstances. I was at a Ted Leo/Pharmacists record release show at the Bowery Ballroom. Place is packed, folks getting anxious for the show to start. All of a sudden the PA gets much louder and this insanely catchy dance tune starts playing. You could feel the energy in the room go through the roof. About halfway through the song the houselights go off and the band comes out. The song is still playing, then the band starts playing along with the record. Pretty soon the record has been faded and it's just the band playing. It was this song. One of the all-time great walk-ons I've ever witnessed.

"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:05 am

scannest wrote:Much more of a pop sensibility than most Electronica. I dig them just fine.

The 'pop thing came later in their career meethinks. After 1997. My favorite LP from them was 'Homework' from that year.

One of the first house 12"s I'd ever bought was 'Revolution 909'. The B side of the remix 12" came with the 'acappella' vocal so you could play it on top of another record, or remix the track yourself.
Really big single for me since I was slowly starting to learn how creative one could get with these records, samples, acappellas. Into a whole different stratosphere with 2 turntables at the minimum.

And Virgin Records was pretty smart to sign them back during that time. Their A&R dude must have gotten a big promotion.

I had the original 12" promo of "1 More Time" before it was released commercially and it had a Roulette wheel on the front cover. I remember the sound quality being VERY sub par and I used to wonder if it was on purpose or a pressing fuck up. You couldn't beat mix the track onto a mix tape. But then....I guess the demand was so big for that track based on its musical excellence and they did it justice with new re-mixes and promo packs until the LP came out. Thus...their name was now on the map in a BIG F'N WAY.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:59 am

scannest wrote:Much more of a pop sensibility than most Electronica. I dig them just fine.

I first heard them under unusual circumstances. I was at a Ted Leo/Pharmacists record release show at the Bowery Ballroom. Place is packed, folks getting anxious for the show to start. All of a sudden the PA gets much louder and this insanely catchy dance tune starts playing. You could feel the energy in the room go through the roof. About halfway through the song the houselights go off and the band comes out. The song is still playing, then the band starts playing along with the record. Pretty soon the record has been faded and it's just the band playing. It was this song. One of the all-time great walk-ons I've ever witnessed.

What Ted leo record was that for?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:16 am

Don't worry - they'll be back in less than 5 years.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:29 am

JGJR wrote:What Ted leo record was that for?

I wanna say SHAKE THE SHEETS. It came out in October 2004 and they played the Bowery in December.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:14 pm

gregpolard wrote:Don't worry - they'll be back in less than 5 years.

That seems to be the going span.

After Kiss finish this 'End of the Road' final tour that's been going on for 5+ years, they'll be back again as well in .....less than 5 years.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:48 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:

After Kiss finish this 'End of the Road' final tour that's been going on for 5+ years, they'll be back again as well in .....less than 5 years.

Oh yeah...that isn't ending until Paul or Gene are off this planet. And even then...
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:37 pm

gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Oh yeah...that isn't ending until Paul or Gene are off this planet. And even then...

Paul has already made public the idea that he or Gene could and probably would be replaced. Maybe he's grooming his son to wear the Starchild make up.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:35 pm

I never got into this group.

I remember hearing the "Around the World" song through a friend at the time and was unimpressed. But I wasn't really listening to a lot of dance music then.

Much later they had their big pop breakthrough. Not bad but didn't set my world on fire.
patient_ot

Return to daghouse