Feature story on Bruce Stuckey of Toxic Reasons

Re: Feature story on Bruce Stuckey of Toxic Reasons

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:18 pm

Very cool. Thx for this. Loves me some Toxic Reasons.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby creature » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:50 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Very cool. Thx for this. Loves me some Toxic Reasons.

Right on! Destroyer!
creature

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:58 pm

The 'Echo and the Bunnymen' story was a hoot. Yeah, I figured that 'Within these Walls' would be the closest new wave material Toxic Reasons could get away with, but they weren't going to have any thoughts about devoting the entire evening to that album. (Though I love it)

And its good to hear Bruce still doing well and hoping to get one more album out. I'm very fortunate to have seen them a few times. Once with 7 Seconds in 1986!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby creature » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:12 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:The 'Echo and the Bunnymen' story was a hoot. Yeah, I figured that 'Within these Walls' would be the closest new wave material Toxic Reasons could get away with, but they weren't going to have any thoughts about devoting the entire evening to that album. (Though I love it)

And its good to hear Bruce still doing well and hoping to get one more album out. I'm very fortunate to have seen them a few times. Once with 7 Seconds in 1986!

I love "Within" as well. As I told Bruce, I was along with the Toxics the whole way. One of my all-time faves.
creature

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:16 pm

creature wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:The 'Echo and the Bunnymen' story was a hoot. Yeah, I figured that 'Within these Walls' would be the closest new wave material Toxic Reasons could get away with, but they weren't going to have any thoughts about devoting the entire evening to that album. (Though I love it)

I love "Within" as well. As I told Bruce, I was along with the Toxics the whole way. One of my all-time faves.

Absolutely agreed.

'Within these Walls" was Toxic Reasons equivalent to 7 Seconds "New Wind". More tuneful. I hate to use the term 'watered down' because it's really not. Just as much emotion and message, just produced differently. Yeah, it's definitely geared toward 80's college radio, but the record is GREAT. Like how Government Issue gave us "You". DEFINITELY NOT a let down or a sellout.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:07 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
creature wrote:

Absolutely agreed.

'Within these Walls" was Toxic Reasons equivalent to 7 Seconds "New Wind". More tuneful. I hate to use the term 'watered down' because it's really not. Just as much emotion and message, just produced differently. Yeah, it's definitely geared toward 80's college radio, but the record is GREAT. Like how Government Issue gave us "You". DEFINITELY NOT a let down or a sellout.

This is one of my favorite sub-categories. I tend to really love these kinds of records. GI5 and You are big ones for me, as is New Wind. I'd also put M.I.A.'s last 2 albums (especially After the Fact), Blitz's Second Empire Justice, Field Day, and Ink and Fly on a Wire (Effigies) in the same kinda category.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:17 pm

Where should I start with this band?
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:25 pm

lewdd wrote:Where should I start with this band?

:shock:

YOU!??????

Isn't this you're "thing"?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:30 pm

I was an East Coast and West Coast punk band listener. The only thing in the middle was Naked Raygun until I lived in Chicago area. MDC if you include them as a Texas band.
lewdd

Postby creature » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:37 pm

lewdd wrote:I was an East Coast and West Coast punk band listener. The only thing in the middle was Naked Raygun until I lived in Chicago area. MDC if you include them as a Texas band.

"Independence" is a classic.
creature

Postby creature » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:38 pm

lewdd wrote:I was an East Coast and West Coast punk band listener. The only thing in the middle was Naked Raygun until I lived in Chicago area. MDC if you include them as a Texas band.

creature

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:29 pm

creature wrote:

This is the first one I bought while at Bleeker Bobs in California. Its fairly hard to find now with this cover.

xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:25 am

I know Independence but never heard any of the later albums. Keep meaning to check them out but never get around to it. I assume the later stuff is OOP still?
patient_ot

Postby creature » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:32 pm

patient_ot wrote:I know Independence but never heard any of the later albums. Keep meaning to check them out but never get around to it. I assume the later stuff is OOP still?

Poke around and locate the subsequent albums. They're all solid.
cheers
creature

Postby creature » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:33 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
creature wrote:

This is the first one I bought while at Bleeker Bobs in California. Its fairly hard to find now with this cover.

Killer album! Bruce dislikes the production on it, but the songs are vital.
creature

Postby Neal » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:31 pm

any word on any reissues? artifix was supposed to reissue "kill by remote control" a while ago, but not sure they're still around.
Neal

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:13 pm

Its been so long since I listened to 'Dedication'. I had to soulseek it to get the digitized version. I think its still strong as fk. Don't know why Bruce doesn't like the production. Sounds fine and Tufty's bass is kickin.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:19 pm

There is free live show to download on Bandcamp from a show in Leeds in 1985.
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:31 pm

Just grabbed it!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:39 pm

You're welcome
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:23 pm

When did I send out a formal thanks?