INTO ANOTHER

INTO ANOTHER

Postby gregpolard » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:21 am

We're at the part of the Where It Went Podcast that all 3 of us hosts have been looking forward to since we started.

This weekend we discuss the first Into Another record with some special guest(s).

Who else fucks with this band?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: INTO ANOTHER

Postby SamDBL » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:29 am

Not me!
SamDBL

Postby JGJR » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:37 am

Textbook example of a band I just didn't get or understand at all back in the '90s, but I appreciate them now. I don't know their catalog well at all, but I really like Ignaurus.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:48 am

TOOL for 90s emo/straight-edge kids.
jaybird

Postby Hal » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:02 pm

I LOVED the debut when it came out. Exactly the sound I was searching for during my initial post-hardcore years. One of the defining bands of my college years. Still listen to the s/t and Ignaurus a couple of times a year. Great band. Very much looking forward to the podcast episode!
Hal

Postby patient_ot » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:10 pm

Saw them in '95, Seemless era. One of the best live shows I've seen still. When I got the album, it was a bit disappointing because it sounded so different than they did live. It's too bad they never made a high quality soundboard live album back then. At any rate, of the recorded material my favorite is Ignaurus.
patient_ot

Postby isolation73 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:16 pm

I celebrate the entire catalog! I saw them 3 times and lucky enough to open up for them and the mighty Sensefield at one show. Also fortunate to see them play "Without A Medium" live. They were initially reluctant to do it but they crushed it. Looking forward t checking out your episode.
isolation73

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:26 pm

SamDBL wrote:Not me!

This.
I mean, I REALLY tried. A few times. I can't take the vocals and while I like a lot 90's alternative rock, I don't "get" this band.

jaybird wrote:TOOL for 90s emo/straight-edge kids.

Except that Tool is much better.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:31 am

isolation73 wrote:I celebrate the entire catalog!

I love that this has become a thing round here.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby drew » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:40 am

I've said many times how much I love this band. Always followed Richie's music, saw Underdog a bunch of times.
The first piece written about them that I remember was a scene-report in Maximum RnR.......Said they sounded like early Queen meets early Van Halen.......I guess I hear some of that LOL From the first time I saw IA play a week-night opening-slot at L'Amour I was totally hooked and we went to every single area show we could get to.
Got to see D-Generation's first or second show opening for IA at CBGB. That was a fun night.
So many great shows, literally dozens.
The format record will always have a spot on my turntable.
Can't wait for the ep!
drew

Postby jaybird » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:19 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
jaybird wrote:TOOL for 90s emo/straight-edge kids.

Except that Tool is much better.

That's the punchline.
jaybird

Postby gregpolard » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:23 am

drew wrote:I've said many times how much I love this band. Always followed Richie's music, saw Underdog a bunch of times.
The first piece written about them that I remember was a scene-report in Maximum RnR.......Said they sounded like early Queen meets early Van Halen.......I guess I hear some of that LOL From the first time I saw IA play a week-night opening-slot at L'Amour I was totally hooked and we went to every single area show we could get to.
Got to see D-Generation's first or second show opening for IA at CBGB. That was a fun night.
So many great shows, literally dozens.
The format record will always have a spot on my turntable.
Can't wait for the ep!

That's awesome. I haven't seen them. Just missed them on the initial run and then the last 3 (!) times they played Philly I had other engagements be it busy work season/holidays (2012), Mom dying (2014) or recording (2015). Was hoping to have a chance in 2019 when they were scheduled to play This Is hardcore AND a special post show...but they had to cancel due to Peter Moses health :cry: LUCKILY, he seems to be doing well now and there is more stuff on the horizon!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:45 am

scannest wrote:
isolation73 wrote:I celebrate the entire catalog!

I love that this has become a thing round here.

Same! The guy who played Samir (the actor Ajay Naidu) in this is an old acquaintance FWIW. I saw it opening night and didn't realize it would become such a cult classic. The guy who plays Michael Bolton actually looks a lot like my 1st cousin lol.
JGJR

Postby Hal » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:26 am

That was a kick ass episode of the Where It Went podcast Greg! I really enjoyed hearing from Ritchie and Peter on the band and this debut record. And Drew has now solidified himself as an All-Star among WIW guests! I love listening to his thoughts, insights and uncanny ability to remember so many minute details about their experiences. Keep up the fine work!

Oh and...I was laughing my ass off during that final segment when Javier chimed in with his Rollins/My War comments. I SO WANTED TO JUMP INTO THE CONVERSATION!! :lol:
Hal

Postby gregpolard » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:30 am

Hal wrote:That was a kick ass episode of the Where It Went podcast Greg! I really enjoyed hearing from Ritchie and Peter on the band and this debut record. And Drew has now solidified himself as an All-Star among WIW guests! I love listening to his thoughts, insights and uncanny ability to remember so many minute details about their experiences. Keep up the fine work!

Oh and...I was laughing my ass off during that final segment when Javier chimed in with his Rollins/My War comments. I SO WANTED TO JUMP INTO THE CONVERSATION!! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thank you! Drew is so cool, love that dude. Richie and Peter too. Great conversationalists. I'm glad that we have more Into Another (and Underdog for Richie!) to discuss.

Jav's hot takes never cease to amaze me. I'm always team "My War'!
gregpolard

Postby Hal » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:48 am

gregpolard wrote:I'm always team "My War'!

I celebrate the entire catalog! ;)
Hal

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:41 pm

gregpolard wrote:
Hal wrote:That was a kick ass episode of the Where It Went podcast Greg! I really enjoyed hearing from Ritchie and Peter on the band and this debut record. And Drew has now solidified himself as an All-Star among WIW guests! I love listening to his thoughts, insights and uncanny ability to remember so many minute details about their experiences. Keep up the fine work!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thank you! Drew is so cool, love that dude. Richie and Peter too. Great conversationalists. I'm glad that we have more Into Another (and Underdog for Richie!) to discuss.

Jav's hot takes never cease to amaze me. I'm always team "My War'!

I've yet to listen to the episode, so I don't know the context yet, but team My War all the way; I listened to it earlier today before I saw this and I even named my old zine after it in the '90s.

Back to the topic of the thread, though, I listened to the s/t debut the other day and loved it. I'd never heard it before! I think back when it was released, I wouldn't have appreciated it, but now I totally love it.
Last edited by JGJR on Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:41 pm

Hal wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I'm always team "My War'!

I celebrate the entire catalog! ;)

As long as we're not including What The..., right there with you.
JGJR

Postby B.S. » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:47 am

I used to tape this music video cable access show that was associated with a local radio station. "Mutate Me" was on one of the episodes and I thought it sounded like NIN or some industrial band. Keep in mind, that I was eleven when Seemless came out so I didn't know how to interpret "post-hardcore" or whatever Into Another was attempting. My sister was on a college activity board and Seaweed played her college. She wasn't into Seaweed at all but was nice enough to give me a Seaweed/Into Another promo tape. I honestly didn't listen to the IA side at all and definitely liked Seaweed more. It took another ten years for me to really appreciate Into Another though and I was stoked to see them at the NYC Rev anniversary show.
B.S.

Postby isolation73 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:53 am

B.S. wrote:I used to tape this music video cable access show that was associated with a local radio station. "Mutate Me" was on one of the episodes and I thought it sounded like NIN or some industrial band. Keep in mind, that I was eleven when Seemless came out so I didn't know how to interpret "post-hardcore" or whatever Into Another was attempting. My sister was on a college activity board and Seaweed played her college. She wasn't into Seaweed at all but was nice enough to give me a Seaweed/Into Another promo tape. I honestly didn't listen to the IA side at all and definitely liked Seaweed more. It took another ten years for me to really appreciate Into Another though and I was stoked to see them at the NYC Rev anniversary show.

I had that same Seaweed/Into Another promo tape! Can't remember where I got it from but the Seaweed tracks were killer and the "Four" album has become a huge fave of mine.
isolation73

Postby version sound » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:30 pm

Rev’s answer to Shudder To Think.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:13 pm

version sound wrote:Rev’s answer to Shudder To Think.

Except that Shudder to Think was much better. Well, at least up to 'Get your Goat'.
xxxMidgexxx

Return to daghouse