A comprehensive Shudder to Think thread

A comprehensive Shudder to Think thread

Postby gregpolard » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:33 am

I didn't notice one on here so...here we go.

Share your stories, favorite records, songs, whatever. Let's go!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: A comprehensive Shudder to Think thread

Postby Crazy Old Man » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:52 am

Can't kill rain-covered cat. Can't kill until you hear him mewl.

What the F does that even mean?

Great band. Saw them open for Fugazi at the Tune-Inn in New Haven many years ago. Good times.
Crazy Old Man

Postby SamDBL » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:09 pm

Where the fuck was this band coming from? The first few releases were very easy to listen to. I listened to ten spot, funeral at the movies, and that 7” non-stop when they came out. Then they went total Alterna prog. I remember them getting their big chance when moving to a big label, and getting roundly dismissed by the mainstream, at large. I remember hearing stories of them getting big opening slots, and people running for the doors to the lobby like the joint was on fire. Not stuff I’d jam, regularly. But I respect the hell out of them. I always wondered who their influences were, since they were so bizarre sounding. The lyrics seemed to be total stream of consciousness type shit. And some of the lines made me chuckle.
SamDBL

Postby gregpolard » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:15 pm

SamDBL wrote:Where the fuck was this band coming from? The first few releases were very easy to listen to. I listened to ten spot, funeral at the movies, and that 7” non-stop when they came out. Then they went total Alterna prog. I remember them getting their big chance when moving to a big label, and getting roundly dismissed by the mainstream, at large. I remember hearing stories of them getting big opening slots, and people running for the doors to the lobby like the joint was on fire. Not stuff I’d jam, regularly. But I respect the hell out of them. I always wondered who their influences were, since they were so bizarre sounding. The lyrics seemed to be total stream of consciousness type shit. And some of the lines made me chuckle.

"Pony Express Record" is actually my favorite, even though it wasn't the first one I heard (that was "Funeral at the Movies - Ten Spot" cd) but as far as major label albums go, it's one of the most unconventional sounding records there is. But literally every song still has insanely catchy parts.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:21 pm

I know this will not upset many, but I will not be participating in this thread. I could not even name a song by this band, and have interest in listening to any. I am sure I gave something a listen years ago, and had not need for it for whatever reason(s). Carry on!
lewdd

Postby the mean » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:29 pm

gregpolard wrote:"Pony Express Record" is actually my favorite, even though it wasn't the first one I heard (that was "Funeral at the Movies - Ten Spot" cd) but as far as major label albums go, it's one of the most unconventional sounding records there is. But literally every song still has insanely catchy parts.

Yes, PER is their finest hour. I saw them in 89, but did not get to see them in the PER era. PER is such a weird, unique and catchy record.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:52 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm with Sam on this one. When those Dischord-era records came out, I was in high school and absolutely obsessed with them. I played them virtually non-stop, too, They were incredible live back then, too. I got to see them 3x at City Gardens in 1992 and 1993, the first time with Fugazi headlining, the 2nd time headling with Jawbox and American Standard opening, and the 3rd time with Severin opening (hi target). The 2nd show in particular was just mind-blowing and still to this day one of the best things I've ever seen. Influences? I don't know, honestly. I think Craig has mentioned Queen and I Against I era Bad Brains and those make sense to me, but the first time I heard them, they reminded me of a way catchier version of then current indie stuff like Dustdevils or even a band like Ned's Atomic Dustbin (weird comparison, I know, but I was 16).

Anyway, I haven't listened to the major label stuff in a long time, but of those, I'm one of the few who actually prefers 50,000 B.C. "Beauty Strike" is an absolutely amazing song. To me, at least by and large, they were at their best when they were at their poppiest.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:52 pm

For some reason, I always used to get this band confused with Girls Against Boys... didn't one of them have ex-Soulside members at some point?
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:54 pm

jaybird wrote:For some reason, I always used to get this band confused with Girls Against Boys... didn't one of them have ex-Soulside members at some point?

GVSB is basically Soulside sans Bobby and w/ Eli Janney added. STT and Soulside toured together in '89 iirc, so I get the confusion kinda.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:55 pm

"Rag
Your face is like my uncle
My uncle is a jungle
My jungle is a tangle
My tangle makes you strangle
And Rag
A rose is not a robot
And whores in need of hose
Save three cents for thin ski pants
"

That's all I got.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:57 pm

It took me a while to warm up to them. They just seemed weird at first. I bought in around the time of the FATM/Ten Spot combined CD. I was pretty enthusiastic through the end of their Dischord run. I didn’t hear the major label stuff until relatively recently. I like it, but I definitely prefer the Dischord era. I only saw them once, in 1993 opening for Fugazi. They were very good.

Edit: I actually bought both the Sammich records when they came out, but I remember thinking that Craig’s voice sounded too much like Ozzy. I still think the three Dischord LPs are where they really hit their stride.
Last edited by version sound on Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:57 pm

scannest wrote:"Rag
Your face is like my uncle
My uncle is a jungle
My jungle is a tangle
My tangle makes you strangle
And Rag
A rose is not a robot
And whores in need of hose
Save three cents for thin ski pants
"

That's all I got.

I just quoted that in a DM, so that song was stuck in my head anyway. :lol:
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:31 pm

I got to see them once at the end of their initial run, in 1997 on a tour with Pavement. Great show.

I didn't even know about the 2008 reunions until after they happened. Sigh.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:34 pm

gregpolard wrote:I got to see them once at the end of their initial run, in 1997 on a tour with Pavement. Great show.

I didn't even know about the 2008 reunions until after they happened. Sigh.

I forgot to mention in an earlier post in this thread that I did catch the 2008 reunion show at the TLA as well. They really messed up "About Three Dreams" and that song sounded terrible IIRC, but they were fantastic the rest of the night. I also ran into an old friend I hadn't seen in over a decade at that show.
JGJR

Postby the mean » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:58 pm

JGJR wrote:Ned's Atomic Dustbin

When this band came out, a friend tried to get me into them by saying they sounded like Jawbreaker. I wasn't impressed.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:11 pm

the mean wrote:
JGJR wrote:Ned's Atomic Dustbin

When this band came out, a friend tried to get me into them by saying they sounded like Jawbreaker. I wasn't impressed.

That's a really odd comparison (they sound nothing alike), but God Fodder is an absolute classic and was one of my favorite albums in high school.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:36 pm

"God Fodder" is so sick.

But back to Shudder To Think...

I'm shocked Dischord hasn't repressed "Get your Goat" or "Funeral At The Movies"...ever.
gregpolard

Postby Gary » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:42 pm

I only like the first two theses days. I'd kept up with them a few after but I was losing interest fast. Saw a couple of gigs in england on the 10 spot tour with Sink. They were great.
Gary

Postby Fillavoid » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:14 pm

The only Shudder to Think song I've heard is Red House from the 20 Years of Dischord box set. I enjoy that song a lot. I'm trying to figure out which album to check out next. Since I tend to prefer melodic/poppy stuff, I might listen to 50,000 BC.
Last edited by Fillavoid on Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fillavoid

Postby pedro » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Standard response: I fondly remember the early days. I have no use for the post-Chris and Mike stuff.
Hello.
pedro

Postby drew » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:33 pm

First time I saw STT I only had heard the song from "State of The Union" but they were just great. After getting the first album & Ten Spot they played with JAWBOX at CBGB it was the album release for "Novelty" Both bands bands were smokin' that night. I remember being right up front and really impressed with Craig's voice. Saw them open for Fugazi at The Ritz but the crowd wasn't too into it. Just moshing to mosh.

Cool show was STT/Sunny Day Real Estate & Le Tigre' at Irving Plaza I think it was a CMJ night. The cast from THE STATE were there. Very 90's
drew

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:55 pm

Fillavoid wrote:The only Shudder to Think song I've heard is Red House from the 20 Years of Dischord box set. I enjoy that song a lot. I'm trying to figure out which album to check out next. Since I tend to prefer melodic/poppy stuff, I might listen to 50,000 BC.

This is the song that hooked me:

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:10 pm

drew wrote:First time I saw STT I only had heard the song from "State of The Union" but they were just great. After getting the first album & Ten Spot they played with JAWBOX at CBGB it was the album release for "Novelty" Both bands bands were smokin' that night. I remember being right up front and really impressed with Craig's voice. Saw them open for Fugazi at The Ritz but the crowd wasn't too into it. Just moshing to mosh.

Cool show was STT/Sunny Day Real Estate & Le Tigre' at Irving Plaza I think it was a CMJ night. The cast from THE STATE were there. Very 90's

Did they dip their balls in it?
lewdd

Postby target » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:39 pm

Swiz probably played with STT a couple dozen times and Severin did a few shows with them (hi JGJR!) at Cbgb and city gardens.

It’s two different bands I think. I like both but prefer the early stuff with Mike and Chris. Deeper earthier feel and less polish. Less attitude. I think Craig is a super talented singer and at a young age he could articulate what he wanted to do as an artist in an incredibly smart, self aware way.

Never actually listed to 50k bc.

My fave song is the one with the lyric “that’s my star I said and I’m your cowboy “
target

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:46 pm

target wrote:My fave song is the one with the lyric “that’s my star I said and I’m your cowboy “

version sound wrote:This is the song that hooked me:

So great.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Gary » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:45 am

version sound wrote:
Edit: I actually bought both the Sammich records when they came out, but I remember thinking that Craig’s voice sounded too much like Ozzy. I still think the three Dischord LPs are where they really hit their stride.

That's hilarious.

I was introduced to them by a friend who described them as Ozzy singing for a DC band. ( they only had the Sammich releases at that point)
Gary

Postby JGJR » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:37 am

Fillavoid wrote:The only Shudder to Think song I've heard is Red House from the 20 Years of Dischord box set. I enjoy that song a lot. I'm trying to figure out which album to check out next. Since I tend to prefer melodic/poppy stuff, I might listen to 50,000 BC.

I like that one a lot, but don't start there, especially if you like "Red House" (my favorite song of theirs on most days, I think). Just go straight to its source, specifically Funeral at the Movies, then Ten Spot, then Get Your Goat, then the rest.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:39 am

drew wrote:First time I saw STT I only had heard the song from "State of The Union" but they were just great. After getting the first album & Ten Spot they played with JAWBOX at CBGB it was the album release for "Novelty" Both bands bands were smokin' that night. I remember being right up front and really impressed with Craig's voice. Saw them open for Fugazi at The Ritz but the crowd wasn't too into it. Just moshing to mosh.

I saw the same show, but at City Gardens; that must've been the same tour. The same goes for Fugazi at the Ritz (saw the same bill at CG) a few months before that unless that was a different Fugazi/STT tour?
JGJR

Postby paul » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 am

The drumming on Pony Express Record is legendary
paul

Postby fiestaware » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:35 pm

Since so many of you prefer the Jawbox/STT tour era, here’s an excerpt I recorded from one 1992? gig. Stuart’s DI connection failed or something, giving rise to a long uncomfortable silence as the problem got fixed. This just encouraged the kind of heckling Shudder frequently got from rednecks, skinheads, etc. So Craig responded with a pretty confrontational acapella, as one does.

It drew applause and shut the boors down.

You’ll recognize this version of My Funny Valentine as some of Craig’s sing-songy ‘filler’ lyrics often preceding Heaven Here in sets.

fiestaware

Postby patient_ot » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:08 pm

A kinda weird band that I grew to appreciate later. I like everything they did, with the exception of 50,000 BC, which I've never been able to really get into.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:13 pm

fiestaware wrote:Since so many of you prefer the Jawbox/STT tour era, here’s an excerpt I recorded from one 1992? gig. Stuart’s DI connection failed or something, giving rise to a long uncomfortable silence as the problem got fixed. This just encouraged the kind of heckling Shudder frequently got from rednecks, skinheads, etc. So Craig responded with a pretty confrontational acapella, as one does.

It drew applause and shut the boors down.

You’ll recognize this version of My Funny Valentine as some of Craig’s sing-songy ‘filler’ lyrics often preceding Heaven Here in sets.

A mash-up of "My Funny Valentine," "Candy Says" and "Sugar Mountain" = amazing. This rules. Thanks for posting that. They always had pretty receptive crowds when I saw them, I think, but it was so long ago that I can't remember for sure.
JGJR

Postby Fillavoid » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:57 pm

JGJR wrote:

I like that one a lot, but don't start there, especially if you like "Red House" (my favorite song of theirs on most days, I think). Just go straight to its source, specifically Funeral at the Movies, then Ten Spot, then Get Your Goat, then the rest.

Thanks for those suggestions. I will check them out.
Fillavoid

Postby Fillavoid » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:00 pm

version sound wrote:

This is the song that hooked me:

That was great. Ten Spot is definitely on my list now.
Fillavoid

Postby pedro » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:30 pm

I like the song about Kirsty’s mind blowing.
Hello.
pedro

Postby isolation73 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:30 pm

First time I saw them, they opened for Sunny Day Real Estate on the "Diary" tour. After the show ended, my friends and I drove like maniacs to catch a bastard version of the Cro-Mags. What a juxtaposition between those 2 shows in one night.

Speaking of Ned's Atomic Dustin, the 2nd time I saw STT, the opening band was The Dambuilders, who were another great low key 90's gem.

Props to Version Sound for posting that clip of "Three Summer Dreams". The final 2 minutes of that jam has been known to make my eyes a bit watery on occasion.
isolation73

Postby SamDBL » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:33 pm

The Ozzy comparison is funny. I remember talking to a wise old record dealer in the area back in the day, and he said the exact same thing. It always stuck with me. But for some reason, I can’t really hear it.
SamDBL

Postby Crazy Old Man » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:16 am

Imagine a collab between Craig Wedren and Kool Keith? (I know, random). I think my brain would literally explode trying to make sense of the non-sensical lyrical flow.
Crazy Old Man

Postby pedro » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:22 am

Question from the technologically inept: The Ten Spot/Funeral CD is really quiet. If I were to buy the digital tracks from Dischord, would they be any louder?
Hello.
pedro

Postby gregpolard » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:27 am

pedro wrote:Question from the technologically inept: The Ten Spot/Funeral CD is really quiet. If I were to buy the digital tracks from Dischord, would they be any louder?

I want to say yes, because I believe that particular CD was one of the Silver Sonya Remasters in the early 2000's. But don't quote me on that!
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:34 am

pedro wrote:I like the song about Kirsty’s mind blowing.

Yes! I love that one, too.

JGJR

Postby pedro » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:36 am

gregpolard wrote:I want to say yes, because I believe that particular CD was one of the Silver Sonya Remasters in the early 2000's. But don't quote me on that!

I am terrible at following instructions.
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:41 am

pedro wrote:Question from the technologically inept: The Ten Spot/Funeral CD is really quiet. If I were to buy the digital tracks from Dischord, would they be any louder?

90% sure that the versions on there digitally are the remastered versions from the 2001 remastered CD (not the original 1991 CD) and they had to have increased the volume if the 2000s remastered versions of the Embrace and Dag Nasty CDs are anything to go by. I also had the 1991 CD and particularly the Ten Spot tracks (as was pretty typical of some other punk reissue CDs at that point; Shades Apart's CD with their 1st 2 records is very similar, particularly the Dude Danger 12" tracks) were REALLY quiet, so that's a great question. Here are the known versions of that CD.

https://www.discogs.com/Shudder-To-Thin ... ter/997605

EDIT: So basically, this is what Greg wrote above and I didn't see it until now.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:06 am

JGJR wrote:

90% sure that the versions on there digitally are the remastered versions from the 2001 remastered CD (not the original 1991 CD) and they had to have increased the volume if the 2000s remastered versions of the Embrace and Dag Nasty CDs are anything to go by. I also had the 1991 CD and particularly the Ten Spot tracks (as was pretty typical of some other punk reissue CDs at that point; Shades Apart's CD with their 1st 2 records is very similar, particularly the Dude Danger 12" tracks) were REALLY quiet, so that's a great question. Here are the known versions of that CD.

EDIT: So basically, this is what Greg wrote above and I didn't see it until now.

What took you a paragraph AND a link, I got done in 2 sentences :lol:
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:19 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

What took you a paragraph AND a link, I got done in 2 sentences :lol:

I say this often, but brevity has never been my strong suit. :lol:
JGJR

Postby fiestaware » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:23 am

JGJR wrote:
fiestaware wrote:

A mash-up of "My Funny Valentine," "Candy Says" and "Sugar Mountain" = amazing. This rules. Thanks for posting that. They always had pretty receptive crowds when I saw them, I think, but it was so long ago that I can't remember for sure.

Welcome - I'm very glad it found an appreciate audience, 30 years on. Maxell XL-II high bias cassette tape ftw.

Any but the most insular shows in that era were besieged by various (often conflicting) knucklehead posses. Ian wore out his voice on tours just lecturing them. Some were just following the punk heckling tradition, others were plain violent.

Craig was a little too gender-bendery for those punx, even in his manly overalls.
fiestaware

Postby fiestaware » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:23 am

dup
fiestaware

Postby version sound » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:31 pm

STICK WITH THE EARLIER CD! It’s only “quiet” compared to other CDs that are overly loud and compressed. Quieter frequently translates to greater dynamic range:

1991 CD

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/65001

2001 CD

Lower numbers mean lower dynamic range and more compression. They squashed it quite a bit on the remaster.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:36 pm

version sound wrote:STICK WITH THE EARLIER CD! It’s only “quiet” compared to other CDs that are overly loud and compressed. Quieter frequently translates to greater dynamic range:

1991 CD

2001 CD

Lower numbers mean lower dynamic range and more compression. They squashed it quite a bit on the remaster.

I think you accidentally posted the same link twice there.

Here is the remaster log:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/65000

I don't have the remaster, just the older CD. However, looking at those number it doesn't look too bad. I often see remasters with far worse numbers, usually in the DR5-7 range. I will say that even if the numbers look good, it doesn't say anything about the source or EQ. Some engineers will boost certain frequencies to try to make it sound "punchier" on the EQ front. That can often have an annoying effect.

If people are having trouble with CDs being "too quiet" or "too low in volume" they need to learn how to use replay gain tags or their volume control. If the volume control won't go loud enough with a particular disc, that usually means you need better equipment or playback software.

Another way to make an older CD louder is audio editing software like Audacity. Some ripping/conversion programs like dBpoweramp also have a function for this. However, you need to be careful because you can overdo it and induce digitally clipping on playback.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:47 pm

I don’t remember having any issues with the CD in the 90s, which leads me to believe that it’s only quiet compared to overly loud CDs. Just turn it up. Problem solved. While Dischord doesn’t seem guilty of overcompressing their CDs too badly, it seems that the main reason for remastering is to compete with overly loud CDs. If I was looking to buy a copy, I’d probably go with the unremastered version, since based on personal experience, there wasn’t a damn thing wrong with their sound, and I prefer the greater DR.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Next

Return to daghouse