5 Favorite guitarists..............

Re: 5 Favorite guitarists..............

Postby jaybird » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:44 pm

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:Not a list of "The Best" (well, maybe Glen Campbell would qualifiy), but of guitarists who interest me and make me want of hear more of what they do:

Brian Baker - I think a lot of his talent and unique style has been completely lost in his playing with Bad Religion for 25 years, but there's still some flashes of the old brilliance in his various side projects.

Stephen Egerton - Will always give a listen to anything the man plays on. in an addendum to my ALL tangent post on the Fugazi thread, I think he's kinda been working his way back to his earlier style and approach on the last few Descendents' releases... more sensitivity and feel for texture and tone rather than just heavy typical "punk" thrashing he was doing more typically with ChadALL in the 90s and early 00s.

Dylan Carlson - opened my mind and ears to entirely different approach to guitar in rock music - using it for moods or soundscapes and atmosphere... how a long, sustained, droning note or chord can carry as much musical impact as any fretboard shred-wizardry.

Bill Frisell - more recent, but similar to Dylan Carlson (who is the route by which I started listening to Frisell) in taking a nearly minimalistic approach to playing. I am more versed in his late-career records, still digging into his back catalog.

Glen Campbell - just a vastly, vastly under-rated guitarist. He wouldn't have had all those decades of session work under his belt if he had been just extremely, extremely good. one of the legit greats.

Great list; couldn't agree more about Campbell. I really love some of his '60s/early '70s work and his 2008 album Meet Glen Campbell, which It hink scannest recommended on here back when it came out? I'm a Beach Boys freak, though, so I have that bias. Ha ha.

Frisell - I just listened to Deep Dead Blue (his collaboration with Elvis Costello) yesterday for the first time in a while. Do you know that one? It's from the Meltdown festival in London that Costello curated back in 1995. It's an incredibly beautiful record. I may put it on again now.

Carlson - I saw Earth play in Asbury Park back in 2011 and thought it was quite great. I don't know his music well, but have listened to a few things here and there over the years. Where should I start? Earth 2? Something else?

BB- his most inventive playing by far was in '80s Dag Nasty; couldn't agree more.

I don't know that Frisell record you reference - I just picked up his 2xLP Harmony from last year a couple months ago... lots of old traditional standards and spirituals and such, just guitar, bass, violin and vocals... Petra Haden sings on it too.

The Earth record I would recommend to anyone looking to jump in would be 2008's ...And the Bees Made Honey in The Lion's Skull... just a beautiful collection of music. it's also what spurred my interest in Bill Frisell, as he guests on a few tracks:

I think I've heard that one; may have even had it on CD at one point re: the 2008 album by Earth. I remember liking it, in any case. I wouldn't think there would be a connection between Carlson and Frisell, but again, there you go. That's very cool.

The Frisell record I referenced (Deep Dead Blue) is really much more of an Elvis Costello record and Frisell is the accompaniest. It features deconstructed guitar, and vocal versions of 3 EC deep album tracks and a few covers along with a rare song of his that's not on an album that IIRC was co-written with Ruben Blades.

i only know Ruben Blades from Predator 2

jaybird

Postby Gary » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:07 pm

Gary Moore
Rory Gallagher
Vivian Campbell (Dio era)
Steve Jones
Angus Young

Could be accused of something of a local bias,but no.
Gary

Postby isolation73 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:51 pm

Bob Mould
Brian Baker
Geordie Walker
John Reis
Justin Labo
isolation73

Postby JGJR » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:10 pm

Hal wrote:
JGJR wrote:I love the shit out of Prong's 3rd album Beg to Differ. I know I'm not the only one on here (hi Hal).

Hi Matt! I still love the first 3 Prong albums. Tommy Victor is a bad ass metal guitar player.

These players inspire me the most...

Stephen Egerton
Brian Baker
John Scofield
Johnny Marr
Tom Lyle

Great great list. Come to think of it, I'm shocked that you were the first person to list Marr. His playing has certainly inspired me, too, even as not a guitar player lol. He's absolutely incredible.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:12 pm

jaybird wrote:i only know Ruben Blades from Predator 2

I had no idea he was in that. Wow. Here's the song I was talking about.

JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:20 pm

Gary wrote:Gary Moore
Rory Gallagher
Vivian Campbell (Dio era)

Whoah. GM and RG would totally be in my list, if I had one. And though I hadn’t considered VC, now that you mention it, he would probably be just outside my top 5.
SamDBL

Postby Hal » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:35 am

JGJR wrote:
Hal wrote:
JGJR wrote:I love the shit out of Prong's 3rd album Beg to Differ. I know I'm not the only one on here (hi Hal).

Hi Matt! I still love the first 3 Prong albums. Tommy Victor is a bad ass metal guitar player.

Stephen Egerton
Brian Baker
John Scofield
Johnny Marr
Tom Lyle

Great great list. Come to think of it, I'm shocked that you were the first person to list Marr. His playing has certainly inspired me, too, even as not a guitar player lol. He's absolutely incredible.

Thanks. Ask me tomorrow and I'll probably give you a completely different list :lol:
Hal

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:07 am

Hal wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Hal wrote:

Stephen Egerton
Brian Baker
John Scofield
Johnny Marr
Tom Lyle

Thanks. Ask me tomorrow and I'll probably give you a completely different list :lol:

I know how that goes; so many great guitar players, so it would probably be similar for me if I made a list.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:37 am

Some noisy Neil Young for Lewdd:

"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:41 am

I will attempt to listen tonight after work.
lewdd

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:06 am

I love Neil Young, but not as a guitarist.
FormerLurker

Postby Dinko » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:09 am

Dickie Hammond
Mark Arnold
K Murphy
Dave Brown
Matthew Smith
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:00 pm

FormerLurker wrote:I love Neil Young, but not as a guitarist.

This. I just never think of him in that context aside from the long, noisy, one-note, droning solos (which are great), but that's probably just from being a more casual fan with 5-6 records as opposed to the whole canon. I'm one of those that liked that Le Noise record and even some later records like Fork in the Road, so maybe I should dig deeper.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:01 pm

Dinko wrote:Dickie Hammond
Mark Arnold
K Murphy
Dave Brown
Matthew Smith

Pardon my ignorance, but who are the last few? I would search for them, but they are very common names.
JGJR

Postby Dinko » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:05 pm

JGJR wrote:
Mark Arnold
K Murphy
Dave Brown
Matthew Smith

Pardon my ignorance, but who are the last few? I would search for them, but they are very common names.

Dave Brown is the guitarist for Pittsburgh-based band The Gathering Field. Spectacular tone, great licks, bendy solos. A student of Satriani, if I remember correctly (not that I care about this). Matthew Smith plays/played guitar in the Volebeats and Outrageous Cherry. A jangleman, awesome songwriter and creator of tasty solos (especially when Bob McCreedy plays rhythm guitar).

https://www.discogs.com/artist/684736-dave-brown-8
https://www.discogs.com/artist/313435-matthew-smith

Caveat: To me, guitar solos are like handjobs. If they’re too fast, you might as well just masturbate.
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:13 pm

Dinko wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Mark Arnold
K Murphy
Dave Brown
Matthew Smith

Dave Brown is the guitarist for Pittsburgh-based band The Gathering Field. Spectacular tone, great licks, bendy solos. A student of Satriani, if I remember correctly (not that I care about this). Matthew Smith plays/played guitar in the Volebeats and Outrageous Cherry. A jangleman, awesome songwriter and creator of tasty solos (especially when Bob McCreedy plays rhythm guitar).

https://www.discogs.com/artist/684736-dave-brown-8
https://www.discogs.com/artist/313435-matthew-smith

Caveat: To me, guitar solos are like handjobs. If they’re too fast, you might as well just masturbate.

Thanks. Smith's name seemed familiar and now I know why. I know Outrageous Cherry, but had never even heard of The Gathering Field.
JGJR

Postby soulforce » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:03 pm

John Frusciante
Johnny Marr
James Dean Bradfield
Bob Mould
Frankie Stubbs/Dickie Hammond
soulforce

Postby AssWreckersInc » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:48 pm

Sean Bonniwell