Fugazi Song by Song

Re: Fugazi Song by Song

Postby version sound » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:40 pm

Burning

Another great Guy track in the early Fugazi mold. I guess this fits the formula others complained about of solid rhythm section + guitar noise + Guy wailing. Works for me.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:45 pm

version sound wrote:
lewdd wrote:The separation of the instruments is incredible and almost jazz-like.

You have any (good) PiL on vinyl?

No, I only have the CDS. I may get that greatest hits 2LP.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:51 pm

lewdd wrote:
version sound wrote:
lewdd wrote:The separation of the instruments is incredible and almost jazz-like.

You have any (good) PiL on vinyl?

No, I only have the CDS. I may get that greatest hits 2LP.

Buy the 12” of Memories. You can get it pretty cheap (I bought a “back-up” copy in EX/EX condition for $9.95 not too long ago). Sounds fantastic. They did a great job of giving every instrument (and John’s voice) plenty of space, and the bass on the flip will knock the pictures off your walls.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:36 am

Give Me the Cure

Another great early Guy jam. I already heard this one a thousand times on the WTBB tape, and the studio version did not disappoint.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:56 am

version sound wrote:Give Me the Cure

Another great early Guy jam. I already heard this one a thousand times on the WTBB tape, and the studio version did not disappoint.

Flipping to side 2 and a different feel to the music. Another amazing Guy tune.
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:58 am

Who on God's green Earth calls them "Fuggo"?

oh ...wait. :?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:24 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Who on God's green Earth calls them "Fuggo"?

oh ...wait. :?

Only the band members and their closest friends.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby kevin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:20 pm

version sound wrote:The Word

Another early Fuggo classic that rocks into a dubby breakdown. If my Discogs search can be trusted, this one didn’t see the light of day until the 30 Years of Dischord set. Apple Music claims the word is “dead.” I always heard it as “change.” Maybe it says both at different parts?

Sorry. Lurking but will poke into this. Dead? Nope. The word is Change. I still have my original Fugazi lyric sheet handed out at a very early show. I always loved this song so much and for so long I actually forgot it wasn’t released until the demo was finally released.

You got a problem?
What can you do?
What was that word again?

Life has got me down
Everything is wrong
Mom and Dad... (and so forth whatever)

You see ugliness
You see ugliness?
You see reflection
Your reflection

The word is...

CHANGE
kevin

Postby version sound » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:55 am

Suggestion

An early classic that actually addresses an issue clearly (I have no idea WTF they’re talking about most of the time on later records). A solid message (basically, keep your hands to yourself, asshole) backed by that classic early Fugazi sound. I bet they still couldn’t get into the girls only riot grrrrrl shows, though.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:58 am

kevin wrote:
version sound wrote:The Word

Another early Fuggo classic that rocks into a dubby breakdown. If my Discogs search can be trusted, this one didn’t see the light of day until the 30 Years of Dischord set. Apple Music claims the word is “dead.” I always heard it as “change.” Maybe it says both at different parts?

Sorry. Lurking but will poke into this. Dead? Nope. The word is Change. I still have my original Fugazi lyric sheet handed out at a very early show. I always loved this song so much and for so long I actually forgot it wasn’t released until the demo was finally released.

You got a problem?
What can you do?

Life has got me down
Everything is wrong
Mom and Dad... (and so forth whatever)

You see ugliness
You see ugliness?
You see reflection
Your reflection

The word is...

CHANGE

Many thanks Kevin!!! Good to know that I was right after all. Those Apple Music lyrics put a weird spin on things...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:56 pm

version sound wrote:Suggestion

An early classic that actually addresses an issue clearly (I have no idea WTF they’re talking about most of the time on later records). A solid message (basically, keep your hands to yourself, asshole) backed by that classic early Fugazi sound. I bet they still couldn’t get into the girls only riot grrrrrl shows, though.

My first Fugazi show was the homeless benefit in DC w/Geek & Sonic Youth. Amy Pickering sang Suggestion that night, as I understand she did often in DC. That was an incredible show and incredible song.
drew

Postby scannest » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:05 am

A solid message (basically, keep your hands to yourself, asshole)...

I know you're simplifying things, but it's actually saying something much more interesting. Ever been caught staring at a women's breasts? I have. And that look of "Jesus fucking Christ, I'm just walking down the street..." And then I think about how I am probably the 10th guy in just as many minutes who's done this - the song makes that frustration palpable. The fact that it was written by a man doesn't change anything. Okay, maybe to a small handful of people it does. But pretending that this is how most people think, and then pretending to be outraged that this is how most people think, is a bullshit game that right-wingers play just to stir shit up. Take an opinion stated by one or two and pretend it's emblematic of everyone not like them. Fuck that nonsense. Pay it no mind.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby SamDBL » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:27 am

This thread is actually making me like Fugazi less. Thank you, Dag board.
SamDBL

Postby JGJR » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:20 am

scannest wrote:
A solid message (basically, keep your hands to yourself, asshole)...

I know you're simplifying things, but it's actually saying something much more interesting. Ever been caught staring at a women's breasts? I have. And that look of "Jesus fucking Christ, I'm just walking down the street..." And then I think about how I am probably the 10th guy in just as many minutes who's done this - the song makes that frustration palpable. The fact that it was written by a man doesn't change anything. Okay, maybe to a small handful of people it does. But pretending that this is how most people think, and then pretending to be outraged that this is how most people think, is a bullshit game that right-wingers play just to stir shit up. Take an opinion stated by one or two and pretend it's emblematic of everyone not like them. Fuck that nonsense. Pay it no mind.

JFC that is so 100% right on.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:39 am

I find it extremely hard to believe that scannest has ever been caught staring at a woman's breast.
SamDBL

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:40 pm

Glue Man

An early peek at what Fugazi would evolve into. The heavy rhythm is there, but the guitar definitely edges more into the noise zone. BITD, I perceived it as Sonic Youth’s influence, but at that point I pretty much thought any guitar noise sounded like Sonic Youth.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:49 pm

version sound wrote:Glue Man
...the guitar definitely edges more into the noise zone. BITD, I perceived it as Sonic Youth’s influence, but at that point I pretty much thought any guitar noise sounded like Sonic Youth.

It's a fair comparison - SY was a definite influence on Fugazi, although it became more obvious over time.
I remember when they played this one live, the sound would bounce around with long, slow echo/reverb on Guy's voice. I dunno, I thought it was "cool".
scannest

Postby drew » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:13 pm

scannest wrote:
...the guitar definitely edges more into the noise zone. BITD, I perceived it as Sonic Youth’s influence, but at that point I pretty much thought any guitar noise sounded like Sonic Youth.

It's a fair comparison - SY was a definite influence on Fugazi, although it became more obvious over time.
I remember when they played this one live, the sound would bounce around with long, slow echo/reverb on Guy's voice. I dunno, I thought it was "cool".

I loved this song live. It was prob the 3rd or 4th time I saw them before it was in the set, or before Ian decided to launch into it...... I think it was at The Marquee.......
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:27 pm

drew wrote:
scannest wrote:

I loved this song live. It was prob the 3rd or 4th time I saw them before it was in the set, or before Ian decided to launch into it...... I think it was at The Marquee.......

I told you back in the day that you would like "Fuggo". SEE??
xxxMidgexxx

Postby drew » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:10 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
drew wrote:
scannest wrote:

I told you back in the day that you would like "Fuggo". SEE??

Yes, but you liked Marillion so I didn't listen to you at first.
drew

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:36 pm

Margin Walker

Apparently, this was the result of a failed album session (thanks, Sal). Guy is fully entrenched in this one, though it’s not clear whether he’s playing guitar yet. Anyone know?

Margin Walker

Pretty much the “modern” Fugazi sound on this one - a solid rhythm foundation with rockin’ guitar(s) on top that veer towards “noise” as often as not. What can I say? A classic, IMO, with a nice balance or noise and melody.
Last edited by version sound on Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:38 pm

EDIT: Not sure what the fuck I was trying to do, but I definitely didn’t mean to quote myself.
Last edited by version sound on Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:15 pm

version sound wrote:Margin Walker

Top 10 Fugazi song. I love everything about it, especially the arrangement. How it hangs back a little on the verses, then charges forward on the chorus. How the bridge slams really hard and then the bass drops out before the last chorus.
Guy is just singing on most of the live videos I've seen, if that's any indication of whether or not he plays on the recording. Seeing that they recorded these tunes on a very early (maybe first?) European tour, I'm gonna guess no.
scannest

Postby drew » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:23 pm

version sound wrote:Margin Walker

Apparently, this was the result of a failed album session (thanks, Sal). Guy is fully entrenched in this one, though it’s not clear whether he’s playing guitar yet. Anyone know?

Margin Walker

Pretty much the “modern” Fugazi sound on this one - a solid rhythm foundation with rockin’ guitar(s) on top that veer towards “noise” as often as not. What can I say? A classic, IMO, with a nice balance or noise and melody.

I saw them play this live a couple of times and Guy did not play gtr. I def remember that from Fugazi/Quicksand show in Syracuse.
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:37 pm

drew wrote:something silly

I invented rock music.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby drew » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:45 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
drew wrote:something silly

I invented rock music.

No wonder you know nothing about Punk.
drew

Postby pedro » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:46 pm

Great song. Easily my favorite on the first two records.
Hello.
pedro

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:25 pm

scannest wrote:Guy is just singing on most of the live videos I've seen, if that's any indication of whether or not he plays on the recording. Seeing that they recorded these tunes on a very early (maybe first?) European tour, I'm gonna guess no.

Makes sense. Definitely sounds like there are two guitars on the record (on this song, at least), but that could be Ian overdubbing.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:56 am

version sound wrote:Definitely sounds like there are two guitars on the record (on this song, at least), but that could be Ian overdubbing.

Apparently the studio was so small that only person record their parts at a time. The rest of the band had to literally take a walk while they put the tracks together, all overdubs.
scannest

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:14 pm

And The Same

Not hugely different from the demo version. I think I like Ian’s vocals on the demo better.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:23 pm

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:Definitely sounds like there are two guitars on the record (on this song, at least), but that could be Ian overdubbing.

Apparently the studio was so small that only person record their parts at a time. The rest of the band had to literally take a walk while they put the tracks together, all overdubs.

I'm not trying to be a dick (this time) by asking this question. How do you know this stuff? I know you have some connections as a musician. I just like more details on the back story being the music nerd I kinda am. Thanks in advance for appeasing me.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:49 pm

lewdd wrote:I'm not trying to be a dick (this time) by asking this question. How do you know this stuff? I know you have some connections as a musician. I just like more details on the back story being the music nerd I kinda am. Thanks in advance for appeasing me.

I read it in a book. Nothing more than that. The Fugazi chapter in "Our Band Could be Your Life", I think.
scannest

Postby version sound » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:48 pm

Burning Too

An Ian vocal that was not on the demo, with a very similar vibe to the demo tracks. I like it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:00 am

Provisional

With popsloppy guitar by Eddie Janney, that means all living members of ROS played on this one. It still mostly sounds like Fugazi more than ROS, but thee best Fugazi. Probably my favorite Fugazi song, period. Did I say Fugazi enough? Fugazi.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby target » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:19 pm

Did mike fellows play on this one.. or did he die?
target

Postby version sound » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:22 pm

target wrote:Did mike fellows play on this one.. or did he die?

Mike Fellows is dead.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby target » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:22 am

Jeez. I had no idea. While I didn't know him well there was a time period in the early-mid 90s that I'd see him at the Black Cat a lot and we'd chat--very friendly guy. I'm sad to hear this.
target

Postby scannest » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:34 am

version sound wrote:Provisional

Great two-chord song. Heck, the guitars may be just playing one chord and only the bass is moving.
"Hoping every slips not a slide!" Guy was expert with the catchy phrases you wanted to shout along with,
scannest

Postby version sound » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:03 am

target wrote:Jeez. I had no idea. While I didn't know him well there was a time period in the early-mid 90s that I'd see him at the Black Cat a lot and we'd chat--very friendly guy. I'm sad to hear this.

Sorry target, thought you were in on the joke. That’s a reference to the Rites of Spring demo, where a sped up speech sample plays between songs and at the the end (IIRC) finally slows down enough that you can understand that it’s saying “Mike Fellows is dead.” Their homage to the Beatles “Paul is dead” silliness. He is still very much alive AFAIK.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby target » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:36 am

aha---no, i am usually not in on the jokes....
target

Postby JGJR » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:47 am

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:Provisional

"Hoping every slips not a slide!" Guy was expert with the catchy phrases you wanted to shout along with,

This is just more proof that Fugazi was really an arena rock band, but for us, post-hardcore generation. They were our Led Zeppelin or something.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:30 am

Lockdown

A modern Fugazi song for all intents and purposes. No idea what this song is about. Is Guy admitting to being an android? Your guess is as good as mine.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby the mean » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:44 am

version sound wrote:Lockdown

A modern Fugazi song for all intents and purposes. No idea what this song is about. Is Guy admitting to being an android? Your guess is as good as mine.

I always thought this was about the American prison system.
the mean

Postby scannest » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:49 am

Never a favorite. A good chorus in search of a verse that never arrives.
scannest

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:53 am

scannest wrote:

Never a favorite. A good chorus in search of a verse that never arrives.

Ditto. I like it fine, but I’ve never loved it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:31 pm

Promises

Clearly a breakup song. I remember identifying with it strongly during a breakup circa fall of ‘89. The bass line is really great - maybe my favorite part of the song at this point. Feels very teenage to me as an old guy in 2021.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:52 pm

Saw them at City Gardens on the last night of the REPEATER tour. They played until the amps were smoking and strings were popped.
LOCKDOWN was one of the few songs they didn't do that night.
When it was over Ian said "we would keep playing but everything's broken, good night"
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:31 am

version sound wrote:Promises

Clearly a breakup song. I remember identifying with it strongly during a breakup circa fall of ‘89. The bass line is really great - maybe my favorite part of the song at this point. Feels very teenage to me as an old guy in 2021.

My all time favorite Fuggo track.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:26 am

drew wrote:Saw them at City Gardens on the last night of the REPEATER tour.

Did WEEN open this show? The only time I (remember) seeing Fuggo at City Gardens WEEN opened for them. This was two-piece, swimming goggles, drum machine WEEN. Twas innerestin'
scannest

Postby scannest » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:30 am

version sound wrote:Promises

Clearly a breakup song.

I have never thought of this as a breakup song. Just thought it was another in a very long line of Ian "betrayal" songs.
Of course, maybe all of those songs are about breakups, too. I just find it very difficult to picture Ian as a sexual being. I know that's stupid. Don't know if he and Amy are married, but they are a couple with a child. But some people just don't register that way.
scannest

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse