Fugazi Song by Song

Re: Fugazi Song by Song

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:43 am

IIRC, Ian dated Cynthia Connolly for a lot of the ‘80s, and around the time of this record they broke up and she moved to San Francisco. I could be wrong, but I always thought that’s what “Promises” was about.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:57 am

scannest wrote:
drew wrote:Saw them at City Gardens on the last night of the REPEATER tour.

Did WEEN open this show? The only time I (remember) seeing Fuggo at City Gardens WEEN opened for them. This was two-piece, swimming goggles, drum machine WEEN. Twas innerestin'

Yep. Ween tortured us for a solid hour.
drew

Postby gregpolard » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:40 am

I love Ween :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Their later records they really came into their own, too. If you listen to something from the "White Pepper" album you'd never know it's the same band
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby drew » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:56 am

gregpolard wrote:I love Ween :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Their later records they really came into their own, too. If you listen to something from the "White Pepper" album you'd never know it's the same band

I know. But when they were two dudes and a Gorilla amp on a chair it could get a little rough. When they cover Ozzy & Litas “close my eyes forever” and you think it’s finally over but they keep playing........and the Fugazi guys sittting on the side of the stage laughing it up......and they kept playing.
drew

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:22 am

drew wrote:

I know. But when they were two dudes and a Gorilla amp on a chair it could get a little rough. When they cover Ozzy & Litas “close my eyes forever” and you think it’s finally over but they keep playing........and the Fugazi guys sittting on the side of the stage laughing it up......and they kept playing.

No offense, but that sounds hysterical. I saw Fugazi 3x at City Gardens (1992 and 1993), but the only time I ever saw Ween was much later in the decade (1998) at my college's Springfest. That was the same day as Radiohead/Spiritualized at Radio City Music Hall. We had to get up super early to set up for Springfest, so by the end of that show, I was exhausted. A remember a friend having to drive us home.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:10 pm

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:

No offense, but that sounds hysterical. I saw Fugazi 3x at City Gardens (1992 and 1993), but the only time I ever saw Ween was much later in the decade (1998) at my college's Springfest. That was the same day as Radiohead/Spiritualized at Radio City Music Hall. We had to get up super early to set up for Springfest, so by the end of that show, I was exhausted. A remember a friend having to drive us home.

That paragraph literally had nothing to do with what you thought of the band/show. :lol:
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby drew » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:40 pm

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:

Haha. Of course it was funny but they overstayed their welcome just to be annoying.
Worst part is you saw Ween and didn’t go to Radio City for what is my top three concert ever. Period.
drew

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:19 pm

3 Songs

Originally released on Sub Pop (shoulda bought one in the 80s or 90s) and later reissued on Dischord. Kind of surprising that Fugazi let themselves get swept up in the hot/hyped label business, but there you have it.

Song #1

Similar to the demo version, but with more ride cymbal and Guy at his Flavor Flaviest.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:32 am

Song #1 is not a "Fuck You" song.............I'm ok with that
drew

Postby scannest » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:18 am

version sound wrote:3 Songs

Originally released on Sub Pop (shoulda bought one in the 80s or 90s) and later reissued on Dischord. Kind of surprising that Fugazi let themselves get swept up in the hot/hyped label business, but there you have it.

Sure, but I remember this being readily available on Dischord very soon after the Sub-Pop release was sold out. So as far as dick moves go, a very minor one.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:21 am

It was fine from an availability standpoint, but it seems very unFugazi-like to have your record released in a limited version on some hipster label. It was crazy overpriced back when people gave a fuck about Sub Pop, then it got more reasonable for a bit, then (like all records) the price went up to stupid levels over the last couple of years. Is there a punk equivalent to the blues lawyer? The KBD lawyer?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:45 am

I suspect that in Ian's mind it came down to the music being available. I'm sure he thought that people were (are?) foolish for paying big bucks for the Sub-Pop release, but he made is such that it wasn't necessary to do that to hear it. If folks want to throw their money around, have at it.
It's the same reason they do different colored vinyl with each Dischord re-press. He knows there are people who are going to buy copies of every version. I'm sure he think it's ridiculous, but all he cares about is that the record is available.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:47 pm

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:

Haha. Of course it was funny but they overstayed their welcome just to be annoying.
Worst part is you saw Ween and didn’t go to Radio City for what is my top three concert ever. Period.

Let me clarify. I'm pretty certain I had to leave early, but we did make it to Radio City Music Hall (thank goodness) just as Spiritualized was finishing their set. We only caught a few songs, but they were amazing, as was Radiohead.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:49 pm

scannest wrote:I suspect that in Ian's mind it came down to the music being available. I'm sure he thought that people were (are?) foolish for paying big bucks for the Sub-Pop release, but he made is such that it wasn't necessary to do that to hear it. If folks want to throw their money around, have at it.
It's the same reason they do different colored vinyl with each Dischord re-press. He knows there are people who are going to buy copies of every version. I'm sure he think it's ridiculous, but all he cares about is that the record is available.

All of this. I'd also add that I'd venture to guess he's known Bruce and Jon since the mid '80s and they asked him and the rest of Fugazi and they said yes. Plus, despite all of the above, he's a collector, so I'm sure he probably thought it was cool to do a Sub Pop singles club record.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:35 pm

Joe #1

Hey, a full version. I never noticed before right now, but this song has a very 60s spy instrumental vibe, on the verses, at least. The chorus (to the extent that you can say an instrumental has a chorus) is 100% early Fugazismo.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:10 pm

Break-In

One of my favorite early Fugazi tracks. This version is a bit more polished than the demo version. I prefer the rawness of the demo personally. As close as Fugazi got to straight punk/hardcore. I swear I once read that it’s about teenage pregnancy, but I could be misremembering.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:45 am

version sound wrote:Break-In

Love Guy's vocals on this one. Great song. "AND HE WONDERS 'WILL MY MONEY, WILL IT COVER FOR ME?" is another great singalong line.
scannest

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:49 pm

Repeater

Fugazi’s first LP, or at least the first one to make it out of the door intact. This one exists in a weird limbo between the early Fugazi sound (heavily rhythmic punk) and their more complex and experimental “mature” sound. I know that this is a lot of people’s favorite, but it’s probably pretty low on my list. That being said, Fugazi never made no bad records, so I still like it just fine.

Turnover

A song that is presumably about pastries kicks off the proceedings and leaves me with more questions than answers. What kind of turnover? Apple? Strawberry? Lingonberry? A solid Guy jam* regardless of the mystery.

*see what I did there?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:49 am

version sound wrote:I know that this is a lot of people’s favorite, but it’s probably pretty low on my list. That being said, Fugazi never made no bad records, so I still like it just fine.

Turnover

A song that is presumably about pastries kicks off the proceedings and leaves me with more questions than answers. What kind of turnover? Apple? Strawberry? Lingonberry? A solid Guy jam* regardless of the mystery.

*see what I did there?

Say what now re: Repeater being pretty low on your list? I just gotta shake my head at that, but the pastry thing was funny.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:49 am

For the sake of discussion and since it's the first one I heard, I'm counting "13 Songs" as an album.

If this is the case, my top 3 are Killtaker, 13 Songs, Repeater and can often change in order. But that's always my top 3.

I do think Killtaker is their "Best" album, though.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:29 am

My Top 3 (could change when I get through the whole catalog)

Demo
IOTKT
Steady Diet
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:39 am

To clarify, I don’t dislike Repeater, but for some reason, it seems to be just about the last one I reach for when I want to listen to Fugazi.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:43 am

I watched the Jem Cohen film 'Instrument' this AM. It's on Amazon Prime of all things. :lol:
Still very meat and potatoes Fuggo footage. Old interviews compiled. Live clips bouncing all of the time map. I like it.

version sound wrote:To clarify, I don’t dislike Repeater, but for some reason, it seems to be just about the last one I reach for when I want to listen to Fugazi.

:shock: :?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:44 am

gregpolard wrote:For the sake of discussion and since it's the first one I heard, I'm counting "13 Songs" as an album.

If this is the case, my top 3 are Killtaker, 13 Songs, Repeater and can often change in order. But that's always my top 3.

I do think Killtaker is their "Best" album, though.

Favorite: 1st 2 EPs or Repeater
Best: The Argument

Sometimes, it's reversed, so it's kinda interchangeable, but most of the time that's how I feel.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:49 am

version sound wrote:My Top 3 (could change when I get through the whole catalog)

Demo
IOTKT
Steady Diet

13 Songs
Argument
Repeater

But Steady Diet is always #4 and very underrated IMO; first one I bought when it was new, so I heard the previous stuff right around or after that and caught up.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:50 am

It occurred to me that perhaps we should have let someone who actually knows something about Fugazi, be permitted to start this thread.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:06 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:It occurred to me that perhaps we should have let someone who actually knows something about Fugazi, be permitted to start this thread.

I was jamming out to Fuggo while you were still swooning over the Bay City Rollers.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:50 pm

version sound wrote:I was jamming out to Fuggo while you were still swooning over the Bay City Rollers.

BCR is my jam. John's thing is RATT.
scannest

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:19 pm

Repeater

Fugazi’s funkiest song? I hear a definite go-go vibe in those drums. Solid Fugazi rock’n’funk.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:23 pm

version sound wrote:Fugazi’s funkiest song? I hear a definite go-go vibe in those drums. Solid Fugazi rock’n’funk.

Which kinda makes it the most dated song of theirs. The PE influence is strong here, with the squeals mimicking the Bomb Squad and Guy aping Flava Flav.
scannest

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:24 pm

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:Fugazi’s funkiest song? I hear a definite go-go vibe in those drums. Solid Fugazi rock’n’funk.

Which kinda makes it the most dated song of theirs. The PE influence is strong here, with the squeals mimicking the Bomb Squad and Guy aping Flava Flav.

Dude, go-go never went out of style in DC, so it’s not dated here.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:13 pm

Brendan #1

A groovy instrumental that sees Brendan breaking out his best Stephan Morris beats.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby target » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:48 am

https://kakustreetwear.com/collections/ ... ucts/fuggo

Fugazi wear is now available for the spring and summer.....
target

Postby version sound » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:25 am

Merchandise

A re-recorded track from the demo. Sounds great. Not all that different from the original, except maybe a little bit more Guy.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:27 am

target wrote:https://kakustreetwear.com/collections/pants/products/fuggo

Damn, I need to get some of those. They look Ian’s-non-branded-tee-shirt-level comfy.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:27 am

version sound wrote:Merchandise

Easy Top 10 Fugazi Sing-along Chorus.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:26 pm

version sound wrote:
target wrote:https://kakustreetwear.com/collections/pants/products/fuggo

Damn, I need to get some of those. They look Ian’s-non-branded-tee-shirt-level comfy.

65% off and they have sized up to 5X...brilliant!
lewdd

Postby version sound » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:50 pm

Blueprint

Bam, welcome to “modern” Fugazi. One of my favorites from this record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:51 pm

How do I block this thread?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:13 pm

version sound wrote:Blueprint

This is my "go-to" song when I pick up a guitar. Like just the intro
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:40 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:How do I block this thread?

Just add everyone who has posted in this thread to your "Foe" list. Presto!
Hello.
pedro

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:46 am

wrote:Just add everyone who has posted in this thread to your "Foe" list. Presto!

Who just wrote this??
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:24 pm

Sieve-Fisted Find

Another good rockin’ Guy track that I don’t even remotely understand lyrically. Ian chimes in to try to clarify, but he sounds just as confused as the rest of us. To paraphrase pedro, whatever Guy’s singing about, we’re sure it’s good.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:26 pm

No one wrote:
pedro wrote:Just add everyone who has posted in this thread to your "Foe" list. Presto!

Weird.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:56 am

version sound wrote:Blueprint

If by "modern" Fugazi you mean super quiet, Slint-y intro which explodes into full-on rama lama ding dong, then I agree.
scannest

Postby version sound » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:05 pm

Greed

Hey, it’s an Ian song! This is a new one, but has a very similar vibe to the demo. I really like this song. It’s not one I think about a lot, but when I hear it, I remember what a jam it is.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:29 am

Two Beats Off

Guy vocal, but the music is much more Ian-style early Fugazi. Being as immature as I am, I always thought this song was about two guys beating off, which is at least two short of a circle. Ok, I never thought that was what it was really about, but the title has always conjured that notion. Good song, but probably one of the lowlights of the album.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:26 am

version sound wrote:Two Beats Off.

Always loved the lurching tempo change on this one, especially when they would really stretch it out and exaggerate it live.
Looking forward to your lyrical analysis of 23 Beats Off.
scannest

Postby the mean » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:57 am

version sound wrote:Two Beats Off

This is my favorite song on Repeater.
the mean

Postby version sound » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:14 am

Styrofoam

The sentiments of this song are still 100% relevant in 2021, but I’m not sure Ian’s chosen simile is. Is styrofoam still a thing? Regardless, the song is a solid rocker.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse