Fugazi Song by Song

Re: Fugazi Song by Song

Postby scannest » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:38 pm

version sound wrote:Is Styrofoam still a thing? Regardless, the song is a solid rocker.

I can't remember the last time I had to deal with a living room full of packing peanuts, so maybe the world is just a little bit of a better place than it was 31 years ago.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:00 pm

Reprovisional

I don’t know why they re-did this one. The original version from Margin Walker is perfect, and this one really does nothing to best it. Not terrible, but completely unnecessary.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:03 pm

FormerLurker

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:35 pm

FormerLurker wrote:Image

FINALLY!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:41 pm

FormerLurker wrote:Image

You wish. Strap yourself in, sweetheart, we’ve got a long ride ahead of us.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:55 am

Shut The Door

And we close (this record, many more to come, don’t you worry) with another classic Ian jam. I’d love to know what the lyrics are about. Someone’s death, presumably, but whose?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:21 am

version sound wrote:Shut The Door

And we close (this record, many more to come, don’t you worry) with another classic Ian jam. I’d love to know what the lyrics are about. Someone’s death, presumably, but whose?

top 5 Fugazi here; the part where Ian screams "have you ever been cruel" and the bludgeoning riff follows is just so cathartic and goosebump-inducing.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:21 pm

version sound wrote:Shut The Door

Drug related death, is how I kinda remember it.
scannest

Postby version sound » Tue May 04, 2021 1:01 pm

Steady Diet of Nothing

This was a big one for me. It was the last Fugazi record I bought new until The Argument, and this tour was the last time I saw them live. It was also my favorite Fugazi record for a long time.

Exit Only

Guy gets some use out of his his rich kid private school education with the Latin in this one. Solid opener, though it seems a little perverse to open at the exit.
Last edited by version sound on Tue May 04, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue May 04, 2021 1:34 pm

version sound wrote:Steady Diet of Nothing

This was a big one for me. It was the last Fugazi record I bought new until The Argument, and this tour was the last time I saw them live. It was also my favorite Fugazi record for a long time.

Exit Only

Guy gets some use out of his his rich kid private school education with the Latin in this one. Solid opener, though it seems a little perverse to open at the exit.

This is the 1st one I bought in real time and the first time I saw them was on this tour. I saw them a few times on IOTKK, but not afterwards. In any case, I like this record a lot and think it's quite underrated in their catalog.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Tue May 04, 2021 1:42 pm

I think the record in underrated by the band because they seemingly had a lousy time recording it (they didn't like producing themselves). I don't think you can call a band's biggest selling record 'underrated' by any other standards.
I think it sounds just fine and it has some really amazing songs. Like Exit Only.
scannest

Postby version sound » Tue May 04, 2021 1:59 pm

It’s better than I remembered, strangely enough. It was my favorite when it came out, but I hadn’t listened to it from start to finish in years and started to doubt my love for it. Turns out it is still really excellent. I feel like it might be the pinnacle for two guitar punk rock Fugazi. After this, the experimental edge starts to creep in, which I mostly enjoy, but I think this one is tops for straight ahead(ish) punk rock.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed May 05, 2021 9:51 am

scannest wrote:I think the record in underrated by the band because they seemingly had a lousy time recording it (they didn't like producing themselves). I don't think you can call a band's biggest selling record 'underrated' by any other standards.
I think it sounds just fine and it has some really amazing songs. Like Exit Only.

I didn't realize it was their best-selling record. I always thought that was IOTKT. I remember reading that advance sales/orders were 160,000 or more. Anyway, yeah, I just meant amongst the bands and fans.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Wed May 05, 2021 9:55 am

JGJR wrote:I didn't realize it was their best-selling record. I always thought that was IOTKT. I remember reading that advance sales/orders were 160,000 or more. Anyway, yeah, I just meant amongst the bands and fans.

I think they reference it as such in OBCBYL, but IOTKT makes more sense timing wise (coming post Grunge Explosion).
scannest

Postby pedro » Wed May 05, 2021 10:05 am

scannest wrote:OBCBYL

What is this?
Hello.
pedro

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 05, 2021 10:07 am

pedro wrote:

What is this?

Our Band Could Be Your Life.

I always thought it was Kill Taker that was the biggest seller. I need to investigate...haha
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Wed May 05, 2021 10:11 am

gregpolard wrote:
pedro wrote:

What is this?

Our Band Could Be Your Life.

I always thought it was Kill Taker that was the biggest seller. I need to investigate...haha

Thank you.
Hello.
pedro

Postby scannest » Wed May 05, 2021 11:48 am

As the only great PiL song goes, "I could be wrong...I could be right"
scannest

Postby version sound » Mon May 17, 2021 10:03 am

scannest wrote:As the only great PiL song goes, "I could be wrong...I could be right"

Just caught the “only” in this. Not only is this not their only great song, it doesn’t rank in the top 20. Every song from the first 3 records (except maybe “Fodderstompf”) is better.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Mon May 17, 2021 10:39 am

Reclamation

Another heavy Ian song in the new Fugazi style, i.e., more Sonic Youthy and less punk riffy. Again, no idea what this song is about, but it rocks (if heavy post-punk can be said to rock).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon May 17, 2021 11:00 am

version sound wrote:
scannest wrote:As the only great PiL song goes, "I could be wrong...I could be right"

Just caught the “only” in this. Not only is this not their only great song, it doesn’t rank in the top 20. Every song from the first 3 records (except maybe “Fodderstompf”) is better.

I don't know if I'd go quite that far since I have a huge soft spot for "Rise" and it's the only song I liked on the s/t, but yeah that is NVTS nuts considering the 1st 3 albums and "This is Not a Love Song" exist, at least to these ears.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon May 17, 2021 11:01 am

version sound wrote:Reclamation

Another heavy Ian song in the new Fugazi style, i.e., more Sonic Youthy and less punk riffy. Again, no idea what this song is about, but it rocks (if heavy post-punk can be said to rock).

They rock like lumberjacks; I think they were really an arena rock band, almost like our Zeppelin.
JGJR

Postby the mean » Mon May 17, 2021 11:16 am

version sound wrote:Reclamation

I believe this song is about abortion.

In the early years, it seemed like Fugazi toured the west coast after recording a new record, but before its release. I heard "Reclamation" for the first time live at this show:
https://www.dischord.com/fugazi_live_se ... -usa-83091

It was so good that we all just looked at each other wide-eyed. Remains one of my favorite Fugazi songs.
the mean

Postby version sound » Mon May 17, 2021 3:31 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:

I don't know if I'd go quite that far since I have a huge soft spot for "Rise" and it's the only song I liked on the s/t, but yeah that is NVTS nuts considering the 1st 3 albums and "This is Not a Love Song" exist, at least to these ears.

Not the same band and very much apples to oranges. I enjoy some post-Wobble/Levene “PiL” but it’s such a different thing that they aren’t even worth comparing. I will take anything with Wobble or Levene over anything without them, even “Fodderstompf,” which I will admit is objectively not as good a song as “Rise,” but it’s still more interesting. The Megga Mix is more interesting and better. I really have to be in the right mood to listen to PiL after Levene left. It’s like the “VU” after Lou left. That band made some pleasant music, but it’s a universe away from the “real” VU.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon May 17, 2021 4:44 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:

Not the same band and very much apples to oranges. I enjoy some post-Wobble/Levene “PiL” but it’s such a different thing that they aren’t even worth comparing. I will take anything with Wobble or Levene over anything without them, even “Fodderstompf,” which I will admit is objectively not as good a song as “Rise,” but it’s still more interesting. The Megga Mix is more interesting and better. I really have to be in the right mood to listen to PiL after Levene left. It’s like the “VU” after Lou left. That band made some pleasant music, but it’s a universe away from the “real” VU.

I don't disagree with most of that, but we agree on my main point. They clearly had many more great songs than just "Rise." I mean to not even include "Public Image" if you're talking about just the singles....
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Mon May 17, 2021 6:38 pm

Get this song by song Fugazi thread finished so you can start the PIL song by song thread
lewdd

Postby version sound » Tue May 18, 2021 10:39 am

Nice New Outfit

First Guy song of the record, and it’s a killer. For some reason, I tend to attribute Fugazi’s experimental turn to Guy, but this song is a more straightforward rocker than the previous two from Ian. Maybe my favorite from this record?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Tue May 18, 2021 10:39 am

lewdd wrote:Get this song by song Fugazi thread finished so you can start the PIL song by song thread

No one wants that (including me).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 18, 2021 10:48 am

version sound wrote:Nice New Outfit

First Guy song of the record, and it’s a killer. For some reason, I tend to attribute Fugazi’s experimental turn to Guy, but this song is a more straightforward rocker than the previous two from Ian. Maybe my favorite from this record?

Isn't the lead off track on this album a Guy song?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby the mean » Tue May 18, 2021 11:27 am

gregpolard wrote:

It is, and this fact was mentioned in VS's review of the song above.

version sound wrote:Exit Only

Someone needs to fire their editor.
the mean

Postby version sound » Tue May 18, 2021 11:29 am

gregpolard wrote:

Yup, I don’t know why I was thinking it was Ian. You gotta watch the motin' Thurston, your fuckin' memory just goes out the window.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Tue May 18, 2021 11:52 am

Terrrific song, but when it comes to all-time great, straightforward Guy rockers you're about to get there very soon...
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 18, 2021 12:52 pm

scannest wrote:

Terrrific song, but when it comes to all-time great, straightforward Guy rockers you're about to get there very soon...

Latin Roots?
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Tue May 18, 2021 1:16 pm

gregpolard wrote:Latin Roots?

Ssshhh, don't spoil it!
scannest

Postby version sound » Tue May 18, 2021 3:24 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Latin Roots?

Ssshhh, don't spoil it!

I have, like, heard the record before.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue May 18, 2021 7:57 pm

version sound wrote:Yup, I don’t know why I was thinking it was Ian. You gotta watch the motin' Thurston, your fuckin' memory just goes out the window.

Legit LOL :lol:
JGJR

Previous

Return to daghouse